Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:06:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Blackpool goal  (Read 4025 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
The Blackpool goal
« on August 28, 2018, 08:37:51 pm by Filo »
Before I start it was a goal, but everything the tef did afterwards was so wrong, booking Anderson for handball on the advice of the fourth official. The ball was over the line and so it was out of play, how come it was handball? If the ref deemed it handball it should have been a red card and a penalty. Wrong on every aspect of that decision, and don’t get me started on the West stand lino!!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: The Blackpool goal
« Reply #1 on August 28, 2018, 08:43:14 pm by Chris Black come back »
Liam Hoden reckons ref didn’t know what to do or what the rules were so had to take advice!

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 28, 2018, 08:46:19 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I'm guessing it could be seen as a yellow for the intention of handballing it. If that doesn't count then should be appealed against after the game - if we get through that is.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 28, 2018, 08:52:38 pm by LincsRover »
Liam Hoden reckons ref didn’t know what to do or what the rules were so had to take advice!

A ref and/or Lino that doesn't know what to do at the keepmoat - I'd never have thought it! Just every f*ck*ng week, that's all! Another clueless, unfit, useless f*ck*ng d*ckhead who shouldn't be reffing Sunday league games! Again!

And that's before we win/lose/draw - it's just a fact!  :suicide:

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 28, 2018, 09:36:55 pm by NickDRFC »
Before I start it was a goal, but everything the tef did afterwards was so wrong, booking Anderson for handball on the advice of the fourth official. The ball was over the line and so it was out of play, how come it was handball? If the ref deemed it handball it should have been a red card and a penalty. Wrong on every aspect of that decision, and don’t get me started on the West stand lino!!!

If the intent’s there then surely he can still be penalised? It’s like if there’s a leg breaking two footer that comes in once the ball’s gone out of play - can still be awarded a red card even if the whistle has already gone.

I could be completely wrong though so anyone with a more thorough understanding of the rules let me know!

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 28, 2018, 09:40:04 pm by 1879Rovers »
I'm guessing it could be seen as a yellow for the intention of handballing it. If that doesn't count then should be appealed against after the game - if we get through that is.

I don't think you can appeal yellow cards.

South East Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 28, 2018, 10:05:47 pm by South East Rover »
Don't think you can give goal & red card (double jeopardy)

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 28, 2018, 10:31:05 pm by DonnyNoel »
It’s a quirky rule but the referee was correct to allow the goal and book our player. It’s just a random one that stuck with me from a referee course a few years ago. Annoyingly I thought their winger was well offside in the move that lead to the corner. On balance though I had a feeling at the time that the free kick awarded for the back pass may have been incorrect as it took a touch off our player?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 28, 2018, 10:33:30 pm by RoversAlias »
Aye, Whiteman intercepted it and then the goalie picked it up. Very bad decision and if we had scores from it I'm sure they'd have been furious.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 28, 2018, 10:38:28 pm by Filo »
What got me is the ref consulted the fourth official who was much further away from the pathetic West Stand lino, 65 minutes to flag an offside and then got it wrong along with the multiple offsides in the first half that he missed

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 28, 2018, 11:07:41 pm by drfchound »
What really pissed me off was that rather than celebrate the goal, the Blackpool number ten spent his time waving an imaginary card at the ref and doing his best to get Anderson boooked it sent off.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 28, 2018, 11:31:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Thing is, it looked very much to me as though Anderson was over the line when he handled the ball. In which case it couldn't have been a handball. And I had a much better angle to see it than the fourth official did. Very, very odd decision.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 28, 2018, 11:35:37 pm by Filo »
Unless things have changed I thought the fourth official couldn't get involved with onfield decisions?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 29, 2018, 01:02:07 am by The Red Baron »
I shall remember the name of that absolutely dreadful apology for a referee- Anthony Backhouse. He's another Darren Drysdale in the making. (Maybe even his anointed successor).

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 29, 2018, 08:13:30 am by 5minstogo »
Arguably we could have had two pens. One in the back of Rowe and one taking May out with a clothes line when Blair played in a dangerous cross. Not stone wall but definitely in the "seen them given" category

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 29, 2018, 08:51:31 am by The Red Baron »
I thought the one on Tommy Rowe was a definite penalty. Taken from behind without the ball. Strictly speaking the one on May was a foul, but I don't think many refs would give it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 29, 2018, 08:59:14 am by selby »
  You get sent off at Rugby League for a stiff arm tackle.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 29, 2018, 01:04:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'd have screamed the place down if we'd conceded a penalty for a challenge like the one on May. That was never a penalty.

Unlike the one a bit later from a corner where the defender had Rowe in a head lock. Twice. Two yards from the ref.

salisburyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 29, 2018, 01:12:53 pm by salisburyrover »
He'd have been booked for unsporting behavior and had he stopped the goal had a red card and pen. Not sure why the referee felt the need to speak to the 4th. Right decision but looked really messy...

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 29, 2018, 02:38:06 pm by aidanstu »
So in this basis Butler should have been carded earlier in the season for the exact same thing?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 29, 2018, 02:38:59 pm by The Red Baron »
He'd have been booked for unsporting behavior and had he stopped the goal had a red card and pen. Not sure why the referee felt the need to speak to the 4th. Right decision but looked really messy...

A sensible referee would have let it go, given the goal and got on with the game. Anderson's effort at handball was a token gesture. I think the Blackpool players were worried he was going to disallow the goal, give a penalty and send Anderson off.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 29, 2018, 02:56:34 pm by Filo »

A sensible referee would have let it go, given the goal and got on with the game. Anderson's effort at handball was a token gesture. I think the Blackpool players were worried he was going to disallow the goal, give a penalty and send Anderson off.

And if he gave the yellow for handball as he indicated, the pen and red card should have been the correct decision, it was a goal, meaning the ball was dead, so how can he get a yellow for it?

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 29, 2018, 03:06:23 pm by LincsRover »

And if he gave the yellow for handball as he indicated, the pen and red card should have been the correct decision, it was a goal, meaning the ball was dead, so how can he get a yellow for it?

Because he’s a pedantic little f*cker who doesnt know the rules - pretty much like the rest of the refs in league 1.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 29, 2018, 03:32:10 pm by DonnyNoel »

Because he’s a pedantic little f*cker who doesnt know the rules - pretty much like the rest of the refs in league 1.

He does know the rules. Albeit after I suspect the Blackpool players got in his ear about it.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 29, 2018, 03:36:57 pm by DonnyNoel »

He interpreted the handball as being before the goal (which is a separate debate in itself) so the offence is still unsportsman like conduct.

From a referee's forum about the three occasions when handball warrants a yellow card:

The first one is if the handball is done with the intention of interfering with, or stopping, a promising attack. This is what the law makers wanted, rather than cautioning where handling the ball to prevent it going to an opponent doesn’t stop a promising attack. Still a free kick of course.

The second cautionable handball is when a player tries to score a goal with his hand. Think of Maradona 1986. The player should be shown a yellow card whether the ball goes in the goal or not.

The third reason that handball attracts a yellow card didn’t appear in the Laws previously but was applied by most referees anyway, although it doesn’t happen often. This is where a defender, usually on the goal line, tries to prevent the ball going into the goal by handball, but fails. It’s not a red card because he has not denied the goal but his intentions were unsporting and therefore it’s a yellow card.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 29, 2018, 07:26:56 pm by POD »

He interpreted the handball as being before the goal (which is a separate debate in itself) so the offence is still unsportsman like conduct.

From a referee's forum about the three occasions when handball warrants a yellow card:

The first one is if the handball is done with the intention of interfering with, or stopping, a promising attack. This is what the law makers wanted, rather than cautioning where handling the ball to prevent it going to an opponent doesn’t stop a promising attack. Still a free kick of course.

The second cautionable handball is when a player tries to score a goal with his hand. Think of Maradona 1986. The player should be shown a yellow card whether the ball goes in the goal or not.

The third reason that handball attracts a yellow card didn’t appear in the Laws previously but was applied by most referees anyway, although it doesn’t happen often. This is where a defender, usually on the goal line, tries to prevent the ball going into the goal by handball, but fails. It’s not a red card because he has not denied the goal but his intentions were unsporting and therefore it’s a yellow card.

You are “spot on” with your summary Donny Noel.  The referee was correct in his decision to give a yellow card if he thought that the ball had not crossed the line at the time of the handball.  If the defender had kept the ball out with his hand it would have been a red card and a penalty.  As you say, these are the laws and you can’t blame the referee for following them!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012