Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:25:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

And then bring back Dave Penney or similar as caretaker

Yes
106 (71.1%)
No
43 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Sack Schofield Now - Yes or No ?  (Read 4242 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Sack Schofield Now - Yes or No ?
« Reply #30 on March 27, 2023, 04:41:18 pm by silent majority »
How do you know?; what I know is there are discussions each month about how to pay the wages and the board are at loggerheads.

Ask SM to confirm that though I doubt he will given how entrenched with the ownership he is.

That's just a complete nonsense, both of your points.

The board are not at loggerheads over salaries (its not even down to them, its the Finance Director and Gavin) and I'm certainly not entrenched by or with anybody.

After 23 years of battling for supporters rights I doubt I'd give up my reputation for stupid innuendos like you trot out.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on March 27, 2023, 04:44:30 pm by silent majority »
There are some posters on here that just will not have it. Campsall is correct in that SM told us we had a top 10 budget (despite the fact that I was under the impression we had a top 6 budget). Along with that, SM also explained we’re in a bunch of Clubs with ‘not much between them’ budget wise. From that, it’s anyone’s guess that we could be top 10 or top 20, who knows.

If, as people generally point out, your position in the league generally reflect what your budget is, we’re currently 12th, but if our current form persists, we’ll be much lower than that, come season’s end.

Yes but what I meant by that 'in a bunch of clubs with similar' I was referring to probably 6th downwards. That would still put us in the top 10, just not sure exactly without getting the info from the EFl which should be updated after the January window.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on March 27, 2023, 04:48:00 pm by silent majority »
The problem, as I see it, is that no one at the club wants to bring in an experienced knowledgeable outsider that will ruffle a few feathers and start giving out the bollocking required. Copps and/or Blunt & Baldwin don't want any one near the club with the nous to expose their incompetence! So they will back DS as he is a yes man and if they are forced to replace him it will be with another yes man. It's all very pally, pally at the moment and the powers that be won't want to upset that culture even though it is so obvious that seismic changes are needed to get back on track and move up the leagues.

Seriously?

Surely if anybody would ruffle feathers it would have been Richie Wellens, which just shows how crazy your theory is.

I still never understand how supporters are convinced that there's a big conspiracy going off in the club which is all designed to make sure the club doesn't succeed. How strange!!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 27, 2023, 04:53:21 pm by Alan Southstand »
The trouble is, SM, we simply are not succeeding- far from it in fact. So, something is badly wrong and, to date, nobody seems capable of putting it right.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on March 27, 2023, 05:00:35 pm by silent majority »
The trouble is, SM, we simply are not succeeding- far from it in fact. So, something is badly wrong and, to date, nobody seems capable of putting it right.

Well that's obvious. My concern is the amount of bullshit posts that have no bearing on reality.

Something is badly wrong, but its not a conspiracy, or a situation that cannot be addressed.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 27, 2023, 05:20:09 pm by drfchound »
I would think that any situation can be addressed Martin.
The time it takes to resolve issues can make it fatal sometimes.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on March 27, 2023, 05:21:37 pm by ncRover »

Well that's obvious. My concern is the amount of bullshit posts that have no bearing on reality.

Something is badly wrong, but its not a conspiracy, or a situation that cannot be addressed.

Have problems been identified in order to address them?

Redroy

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on March 27, 2023, 05:36:06 pm by Redroy »
It's still a no from me. Would be a disaster for Copps too if he's binning off his first appointment when so much was placed on his style of play, coaching style and ability so just can't see it happening.

Got a massive summer ahead of us.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on March 27, 2023, 05:46:04 pm by donnybez »

Question SM if I may ask: do the board acknowledge that there are problems? and if so, what do they acknowledge to be the problems?

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on March 27, 2023, 06:04:09 pm by aidanstu »
How do you know?; what I know is there are discussions each month about how to pay the wages and the board are at loggerheads.

Ask SM to confirm that though I doubt he will given how entrenched with the ownership he is.

The board are not at loggerheads over salaries (its not even down to them, its the Finance Director and Gavin) and I'm certainly not entrenched by or with anybody.

After 23 years of battling for supporters rights I doubt I'd give up my reputation for stupid innuendos like you trot out.

Is it right that they are circa 50k short every month re salaries and have to find the funds? I have this from a very reliable source.

Point me to one post where you as a representaive of the supporters has criticised any of the current incumbent of directors for how the club is being run; you don’t do so despite the majority of the supporters doing so; supporters representative my backside.

Your

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on March 27, 2023, 06:07:57 pm by Filo »
It's still a no from me. Would be a disaster for Copps too if he's binning off his first appointment when so much was placed on his style of play, coaching style and ability so just can't see it happening.

Got a massive summer ahead of us.

To create a style of play, it has to be an evolution , and you need to get the best out of what you’ve got, which is not happening, because DS wants that style with the players that can’t play that style

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on March 27, 2023, 06:09:20 pm by aidanstu »

So what is wrong and what’s your views on how it could be put right? And secondly given we have been on a downward trajectory since SOD left why have we not figured out what’s wrong and why have you never spoken up about it?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on March 27, 2023, 06:34:20 pm by normal rules »
The short term future of the playing side of Doncaster rovers currently rests with the player and manager. And something is very, very wrong here. I cannot imagine copps and the board are happy with current performances.  To suggest they don’t see, don’t realise or don’t care is quite frankly preposterous. So they are either happy to continue as is, in the vain hope that thing’s will get better. Or we are on the verge of change, but when, how far and how deep that change goes will be key. And it’s not like the whole team will be replaced, given that half the team that played Crawley are already signed up for next season.
I just can’t see a situation where the summer window comes, there is a little strengthening in the squad, some dead wood cleared out, DS stays in charge with his “process” and rovers somehow manage to turn things around.
The single most influential factor here imo is the managers attitude and style. And in DS I think both are well “off piste” for where we are as a club right now.
And for that reason, in The interests of getting back some sort of identity and credibility as a football playing club, he has to go and someone with pedigree and experience should be employed. The players have potential, DS is failing to realise that potential. As has been previously alluded to, he is a PE Teacher, compared to the likes of Ferguson or Mcann.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on March 27, 2023, 06:37:56 pm by Alan Southstand »
SM:

My concern is the amount of bullshit posts that have no bearing on reality.

Martin, I sincerely hope your concern for our Club is far, far greater than your concern of some of the posts on this forum. You have to take into account that nobody would be posting if they didn’t have feelings for the Club.

The situation is dire and ‘seems’ to be getting worse by the week.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on March 27, 2023, 06:40:14 pm by normal rules »
As supporters of a professional experienced football club, isn’t it only fair we have a professional experienced manager?
And whilst he may have the ticks in the box so to speak, I can’t help but feel like we are suffering another “experiment” with an inexperienced HOF ( as HOF not as a football player) and an inexperienced manager.
And we all know where the last experiment ended up.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on March 27, 2023, 06:59:18 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Is it right that they are circa 50k short every month re salaries and have to find the funds? I have this from a very reliable source.

Point me to one post where you as a representaive of the supporters has criticised any of the current incumbent of directors for how the club is being run; you don’t do so despite the majority of the supporters doing so; supporters representative my backside.

Your

Aidan, most businesses have to find extra funds come pay day. I'd be very surprised if rovers can cover funds off at this time of year and sure the owners have to provide liquidity. That wouldn't alarm me it would be normal business to me.

There are other things that may concern me financially than that.

But say it is true there's real difficulty getting the cash, how would anyone propose it arrived? I still don't see publicly signs of anyone who can give fans what they want by way of takeover, investment etc.

And I say this as someone who does believe we need a change.  But I don't see where that change is.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on March 27, 2023, 07:39:32 pm by ForsolongaRover »
The short term future of the playing side of Doncaster rovers currently rests with the player and manager. And something is very, very wrong here. I cannot imagine copps and the board are happy with current performances.  To suggest they don’t see, don’t realise or don’t care is quite frankly preposterous. So they are either happy to continue as is, in the vain hope that thing’s will get better. Or we are on the verge of change, but when, how far and how deep that change goes will be key. And it’s not like the whole team will be replaced, given that half the team that played Crawley are already signed up for next season.
I just can’t see a situation where the summer window comes, there is a little strengthening in the squad, some dead wood cleared out, DS stays in charge with his “process” and rovers somehow manage to turn things around.
The single most influential factor here imo is the managers attitude and style. And in DS I think both are well “off piste” for where we are as a club right now.
And for that reason, in The interests of getting back some sort of identity and credibility as a football playing club, he has to go and someone with pedigree and experience should be employed. The players have potential, DS is failing to realise that potential. As has been previously alluded to, he is a PE Teacher, compared to the likes of Ferguson or Mcann.

I hope you are right. They are surely going to be worried by the Yorkshire Post article which, considering its content, will I imagine have been approved by the Editor. The YP is not some impulsive irresponsible blogger and has to have regard to its reputation. No doubt Terry B will know some of the hierarchy there and the sensitivity will be appreciated on both sides..

The case for the defence rests on putting faith in a playing policy which is no more than a vision defined only in very general terms by its promoter whose ability both in management and in his system’s efficacy is unproven.

The case against is a wealth of evidence backed by widespread discontent by responsible, long-standing, moderate supporters. Endorsement by a professional football writer in a well-respected regional newspaper should prompt serious examination of their strategy. If they have milestones in their business plan, it is difficult to imagine that they have been achieved so as to rationalise the current decline. The predictable supportive action would be to acknowledge the downturn but to affirm continuing faith. 

Behind the scenes, sensible business practice would be to seriously prepare for change and set challenging objectives to JC/DS and a deadline. Assuming that they are unlikely to go for immediate dismissal, let’s hope they have such a contingency plan.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 27, 2023, 07:54:53 pm by jmt23 »
I’m in the keep him camp, he does need to adapt more though, that I think we can all agree on.

The problem is not the manager, nor his desired style - it is the players and recruitment over recent years.
We have had numerous managers recently and all with various styles, not one of them could get a tune out of the bunch we have. It is a poor mix of players, I would also comment on the poor use of the available budget by previous managers. I don’t know about size of budget allowed.

So far we know DS definitely wants:
Tom Anderson
Joseph Olowu
Kyle Hurst

The players he has brought in:

Lakin - the best midfielder we had so far this season.
Nelson - really good player, but never signing for us, just here for experience.
Lavery - don’t know, not seen enough of him, but he has good movement.
Miller - not sure at all, good effort at the weekend but does not look ready for pro football.
Brown - good player, even though he had a stinker at the weekend - I half expected him to trip over on his way off.

I hope he stays and is given the chance to offload who he wants too.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on March 27, 2023, 08:45:04 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Well Monday has come and gone with no announcement. Chance to be decisive.

Instead it’ll be the same conversations sane hope of action after the next game.

The lack of action just creates a void for the conspiracy theorists and Neto brigade to occupy. The club is doing itself no favours by keeping the lunatic in charge.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:02:19 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on March 27, 2023, 08:56:48 pm by DonnyOsmond »
We'd need to have the highest budget to have any chance of play offs with our recruitment team.
We need Manager first and foremost
Whatever the budget is we should not be put through this turgid rubbish week after week.

We get rid of Schofield then we leave it to the same people who have brought in ineptitude after ineptitude. Schofield is never the main issue.

I wonder where we have come over the last 5 years of a comparison of budget to league finishing position. Bet we've underperformed every season.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on March 27, 2023, 09:22:33 pm by LincolnDonny »
GET McCANN

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on March 27, 2023, 09:24:11 pm by Lesonthewest »
The problem, as I see it, is that no one at the club wants to bring in an experienced knowledgeable outsider that will ruffle a few feathers and start giving out the bollocking required. Copps and/or Blunt & Baldwin don't want any one near the club with the nous to expose their incompetence! So they will back DS as he is a yes man and if they are forced to replace him it will be with another yes man. It's all very pally, pally at the moment and the powers that be won't want to upset that culture even though it is so obvious that seismic changes are needed to get back on track and move up the leagues.

Seriously?

Surely if anybody would ruffle feathers it would have been Richie Wellens, which just shows how crazy your theory is.

I still never understand how supporters are convinced that there's a big conspiracy going off in the club which is all designed to make sure the club doesn't succeed. How strange!!

Yes, seriously, I don't know why you should not understand it to be fair. In my opinion Wellens came back to a club he had a real affinity with believing we were ambitious, yes he made mistakes, but that ambition wasn't really there was it, just another manager hung out to dry, as was Butler, Mcsheffery & the current incumbent. It's all nice nicey & making stupid appointments to appease the fans, Coppinger is another. Instead of grabbing the situation full on & bringing in someone who knows this league well, & has the experience to get us out of it. So no there’s no conspiracy, just a total lack of ambition & enthusiasm from the club, that we, as supporters, can see through.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on March 27, 2023, 09:28:25 pm by Silkscarf »
There’s a great deal of noise on the forum at present. 2 polls asking a similar question and about 28 other threads ‘debating’ the same points. It’s not really helpful.

Maybe everyone needs to go and have a walk round the park. Look at the trees coming into bud. Tell your partner you love them. That kind of thing!

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on March 27, 2023, 09:45:26 pm by danumdon »
Doncaster has always been a working man’s town/city, we stepped above our station for a few glorious years and it was great, but like all good things it came to an end and for us and was unsustainable.

What we have tried to do again is step above our station but this time we we’re not so Lucy in our selections of assets and in the selection of a manager to fine tune them.

What we are left with is a soft top coupe with a car cleaner in charge when in this league what we really need is a four wheel drive SUV with the head salesman in the seat.

We either get rid of the soft top coupe and trade it in for a Landy or we change the car cleaner for a sales director.  Either way main dealers stock is out of the question we are strictly shopping at Honest John’s autos.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on March 27, 2023, 09:50:25 pm by Silkscarf »
As I was saying, noise.

I’ll pop back about Saturday lunchtime.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on March 27, 2023, 09:59:30 pm by danumdon »
As I was saying, noise.

I’ll pop back about Saturday lunchtime.

What you may consider noise others may consider the club they care very much for as  on a one way ticket to oblivion, because that’s what it will be this time if we mess this up and continue our current trajectory next season.

Maybe come back this time next season and see the noise then?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on March 27, 2023, 10:26:59 pm by Chris Black come back »
Wellens oversaw the most catastrophic summer of recruitment in the recent history of the club. That his results were so terrible was largely due to his appalling litany of the mad, bad and dangerous to know.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 27, 2023, 11:16:57 pm by Campsall rover »
There’s a great deal of noise on the forum at present. 2 polls asking a similar question and about 28 other threads ‘debating’ the same points. It’s not really helpful.

Maybe everyone needs to go and have a walk round the park. Look at the trees coming into bud. Tell your partner you love them. That kind of thing!
There is a lot of noise being made because an awful lot of people care deeply about our Football Club.

We saw what happened in 97/98 and for it to be allowed to happen again when the club is in a healthy financial position would be nothing short of criminal in footballing terms.

All we need is a competent experienced Manager with an CV of success, preferably a league 2 promotion on it and at least a play off achievement at League 1 level.  We also should comfortably have a top 5 budget in this league.
Neither of those should be beyond being achievable. We are a large Club in this league. It’s time we started to look like one.

I can understand Bradford, Swindon & Stockport having larger playing budgets. Bradford ave over 17.000 gates. Swindon and Stockport ave over 9.000 and almost that figure.respectively.

If clubs the size of Leyton Orient, Mansfield, Northampton, Carlisle, Salford, Tranmere, Wimbledon & Walsall have higher or even equal playing budgets to us there is something seriously wrong with the ambition of our board.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 11:21:32 pm by Campsall rover »

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on March 27, 2023, 11:58:33 pm by Bessie Red »

Seriously?

If you read my comments correctly you would have noticed I said an experienced, knowledgeable outsider, Wellens was none of those yet you cite him in your response. I don't for one minute believe there is a big conspiracy going on, I just have a feeling that they don't want someone from outside the club to upset, as I said an apparent pally, pally culture where no one seems capable of holding any one to account for the abysmal situation we find ourselves in.
Lets forget about the SOD era and trying to recreate it. Let's stop promoting from within to senior management positions and stop recruiting ex players associated with the SOD era. Let's stop recruiting untried head coaches/managers.
Big changes to our approach to recruitment (players and coaching staff) are needed, surely you can see that SM.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on March 28, 2023, 09:31:58 am by i_ateallthepies »
The Club's lack of action on this tells us a couple of things:  They either believe DS is fulfilling his remit in terms of results expected or his failure to achieve their desired improvement is no fault of his.

I'm sure there are other possible explanations but either way it doesn't present the club in a good light.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012