Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:26:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Premier League Released List  (Read 2171 times)

PACMAN

• VSC Member
Premier League Released List
« on June 16, 2011, 11:00:16 am by PACMAN »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

rtid88

• Forum Member
Re: Premier League Released List
« Reply #1 on June 16, 2011, 11:13:04 am by rtid88 »
So many players on that list that I would like to think we are looking at! Both young and old!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 16, 2011, 12:24:21 pm by jonnydog »
MONEY MONEY MONEY :(

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 16, 2011, 12:28:32 pm by Rios »
Apart from picking up kids from Premier League youth teams am I the only one who thinks that as we are punching above our weight in the Championship and our relative lack of money compared to the other teams in this division that we should be looking down the leagues for players who are hungry, rather than upwards at players on lots of money with nothing to prove.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 16, 2011, 01:04:24 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
stuart parnaby from birmingham would be good. although very injury prone, Abdoulaye  Meite would be solid.. but wages would be a stumbling block, i think Shaleum Logan would be worth a risk.. youth who left man city.. wages wouldnt be major... but maybe SOD could work wonders there.

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 16, 2011, 01:25:24 pm by DonnyRTID »
Logan had a trial with us last season.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 16, 2011, 02:36:45 pm by Mr1Croft »
Quote from: \"Rios\" post=161597
Apart from picking up kids from Premier League youth teams am I the only one who thinks that as we are punching above our weight in the Championship and our relative lack of money compared to the other teams in this division that we should be looking down the leagues for players who are hungry, rather than upwards at players on lots of money with nothing to prove.

Totally agree, the players we sign we'll be the ones that are here to play for Doncaster Rovers and not their own back pocket. The good thing about bieng a small club is that when we sign players we know that we have sold them the club and not the biggest wage pack...

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 16, 2011, 02:37:56 pm by roverssam1879 »
Adriano Basso, would be worth a look at ?

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 16, 2011, 02:55:48 pm by DonnyNoel »

Definitely agree as in some ways a lot of our team was built on that premise but I don't think its as easy as it used to be.

We picked up L1's best left back and best midfielder on frees (Roberts and Wellens) as well as bargains like JOC, Copps, Woods, Heffs. Sadly now though I feel the current equivalent to those players are more expensive, partly due to the make up of teams now in L1, some arguably bigger than us. Whilst what clubs quote and what clubs pay is always different, you only have to look at some of the prices quoted for Chris Taylor and Le Fondre to realise how hard it could be.

I think there's something to Premier League youngsters though, the likes of Matt Mills and Ryan Mason who are promising players at big clubs but perhaps not ready to play in the premiership.

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 16, 2011, 03:23:31 pm by stuey »
I think Van Der Sar could do a job for us ;)

muff licker

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 16, 2011, 04:14:15 pm by muff licker »
See Michael Woods is being released by Chelsea, him and Tom Taiwo were signed (or poached) by Chelsea from Leeds, think the payment they made for the players at the tribunal was £3Mill, neither of them made it at chelsea and no doubt Mr Woods will prob end up at Div 1/2 club.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 16, 2011, 05:10:44 pm by Rios »
Quote from: \"DonnyNoel\" post=161627

Definitely agree as in some ways a lot of our team was built on that premise but I don't think its as easy as it used to be.

We picked up L1's best left back and best midfielder on frees (Roberts and Wellens) as well as bargains like JOC, Copps, Woods, Heffs. Sadly now though I feel the current equivalent to those players are more expensive, partly due to the make up of teams now in L1, some arguably bigger than us. Whilst what clubs quote and what clubs pay is always different, you only have to look at some of the prices quoted for Chris Taylor and Le Fondre to realise how hard it could be.

I think there's something to Premier League youngsters though, the likes of Matt Mills and Ryan Mason who are promising players at big clubs but perhaps not ready to play in the premiership.

Roberts and Wellens weren't the best League 1 players in their positions when we signed them.  Wellens was a decent journeyman who went where the biggest pay cheque was at the end of his contract, hence why he gets booed at every one of his former clubs except us.  The Tranmere fans, whilst having great affection for Roberts were of a mind that they had his best years and in his last season with them he was some way below par.  JOC, Hayter, Heffs, etc did cost money but the only competition we had for their signatures (if any) were from similar or poorer clubs than we were at the time.

The likes of Taylor, Green (Dagenham) and LeFondre are all in the public eye and probably rightly receiving much praise.  There are however more JOC's and Wellens out there in L1/L2 and the Conference who are under the radar and just need SOD to see a spark in them like he did with Muzzy.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 16, 2011, 05:17:34 pm by RedJ »
Ritchie got booed at the KM. Or he did in parts of the SS anyway.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #13 on June 16, 2011, 05:22:41 pm by GM-MarkB »
There's a few decent keepers up for grabs there....

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 16, 2011, 05:44:08 pm by DonnyNoel »
Quote from: \"Rios\" post=161658

Roberts and Wellens weren't the best League 1 players in their positions when we signed them.  Wellens was a decent journeyman who went where the biggest pay cheque was at the end of his contract, hence why he gets booed at every one of his former clubs except us.  The Tranmere fans, whilst having great affection for Roberts were of a mind that they had his best years and in his last season with them he was some way below par.  JOC, Hayter, Heffs, etc did cost money but the only competition we had for their signatures (if any) were from similar or poorer clubs than we were at the time.

The likes of Taylor, Green (Dagenham) and LeFondre are all in the public eye and probably rightly receiving much praise.  There are however more JOC's and Wellens out there in L1/L2 and the Conference who are under the radar and just need SOD to see a spark in them like he did with Muzzy.

We'll agree to disagree on Roberts and Wellens. Both were well known, Roberts was the PFA left back of the season and Wellens was often in many (albeit journalists) lists of the best players outside the premiership.

Although your point about Muzzy highlights my point perfectly - its getting harder to get the more prominent/obvious names as they are no longer around for 100k. those players no doubt exist, instead of creaming L1 for the obvious candidates the signings come from slightly more obscure sources, like below the conference, the Czech league or Southampton reserves but with that comes a bit more risk.

Ollie the Legend!

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 16, 2011, 06:04:28 pm by Ollie the Legend! »
Hasn't Elliot Ward been released from Norwich, or been told he can leave?? Can't see the list so wouldn't know who's there :headbang:

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 16, 2011, 06:06:12 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

Definitely agree as in some ways a lot of our team was built on that premise but I don't think its as easy as it used to be.....

Quote from: \"Rios\" post=161658
...There are however more JOC's and Wellens out there in L1/L2 and the Conference who are under the radar and just need SOD to see a spark in them like he did with Muzzy.

Quote from: \"DonnyNoel\" post=161684
...Although your point about Muzzy highlights my point perfectly - its getting harder to get the more prominent/obvious names as they are no longer around for 100k. those players no doubt exist, instead of creaming L1 for the obvious candidates the signings come from slightly more obscure sources, like below the conference, the Czech league or Southampton reserves but with that comes a bit more risk.

Young prem players on long loans, cheaper league 1 and 2 players, and those below that level, and overseas - all possible, but its down to whether they fit in a SOD style team. And THATS where we can do well, as they can be overlooked by others.

It does need SOD to have a great bunch of scouts out there. What's the Donny scouting set up like, anyone know?

I recall a few on here have offered their services in that way over the years and don't think anything came of it - Mr Grainger in France for example.

DonnyEl

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 16, 2011, 07:20:25 pm by DonnyEl »
Heard good things about Thomas Cruise (LB) of Arsenal, if the Spurr or Mills rumours aren't true?

VikingJames

« Reply #18 on June 16, 2011, 08:03:20 pm by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"DonnyEl\" post=161726
Heard good things about Thomas Cruise (LB) of Arsenal, if the Spurr or Mills rumours aren't true?

Tom Cruise? ... oh great! Another midget! ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012