Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:00:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: premier league  (Read 4240 times)

sirfoxinthebox

• Forum Member
premier league
« on January 27, 2013, 02:31:13 pm by sirfoxinthebox »
dont no about you guys but how poor is the so call best league in the world.
nearly all of the teams have struggled against lower league opposition in cup compositions.
all are struggling in champions league and no of them want to try in europa league always field weaker sides.
as a rovers fan i cant understand why the so called promise land is so special my point being is there is too much money in football nowadays thats is why i enjoy league 1 football  all the clubs are down to earth and all the wage bills will be around the same apart from the odd 1 or 2.
what do fellow rovers fans think if we ever where to get to premiership how would it affect us? :rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Re: premier league
« Reply #1 on January 27, 2013, 02:54:51 pm by graingrover »
If the FA were serious about the future of the game in this country they would start by making sure money drained down from the top to the grassroots . As it is the top clubs have indecent privileges .. Sky money....parachute payments ... .The Bradford team cost £7,500 in transfer money and the Villa team nearly £40 million .Wages in the Premiership are truly ridiculous . Young loanees drive out of Spurs and Chelsea in their super sports cars and expect to be welcome in club dressing rooms like Donny Rovers . No, the gap is not only in money but also in attitudes and values . 

sirfoxinthebox

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 27, 2013, 03:00:20 pm by sirfoxinthebox »
good point it seem the more money you get the less effort you need to give also going into games expecting to win is the wrong mentality. this week has put a smile on my face with the results

leeborover

« Reply #3 on January 27, 2013, 03:06:02 pm by leeborover »
all down to money!!!

I read in the paper a young manchester city player (18 maybe) has been done for driving wrecklessly....it said he was driving a mercedes!! at 18 years old...what desire has someone who has loads of money to try any harder??

it will be interesting to see how long premier league supporters can continue to pay those ticket prices to put up with overpaid players taking it for granted

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 27, 2013, 03:43:54 pm by MachoMadness »
It's an interesting one, because the PL seems to keep getting bigger and more expensive. The gap between the top teams and the rest seems to be getting wider, and you think that it surely has to give at some point.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 27, 2013, 03:49:44 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Yes United have really struggled this season in Europe. Qualified top of the group after 4 games and then put their reserves out in the next 2 games.

Premier League is still the best league in the world. Other than the big 2 in Spain the league is awful. They get easy games in that league, where as there is no easy game in the Prem.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 27, 2013, 04:04:43 pm by RedJ »
I'm a big fan of the Bundesliga. I reckon that's vastly underrated by foreign fans at least.

sirfoxinthebox

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 27, 2013, 04:11:27 pm by sirfoxinthebox »
Your having a laugh 2 teams in la liga  how did chelsea do in super cup again got destroyed

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 27, 2013, 04:15:08 pm by RedJ »
There's only two teams that can realistically win it though. Valencia getting it the other year was like their Blackburn '95.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 27, 2013, 04:25:20 pm by Chris Black come back »
A small but symbolic measure to try to spread the wealth a little more evenly: the winner of the FA Cup takes the fourth Champions League place. All the armchair football 'fans' and foreign money men washing their reputations by owning Premier League clubs will no doubt be up in arms, even though the FA Cup is more often than not won by same teams. It adds a little uncertainty and unpredictability though, allows potential for smaller clubs to get in on the money, and revives the greatest cup competition in the world by forcing clubs to treat it with the respect it deserves: let's not forget that the FA Cup had been running for 120 years by the time the corporate suits dreamt up the Premier League.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 27, 2013, 04:39:58 pm by Padge_DRFC »
It's looking increasingly likely the Europa league is set to be scrapped and the Champions League increased to 64 teams.  Therefore likely 6 or 7 teams from England would qualify. How about if this does happen, who ever wins the FA Cup and League Cup qualifies for it? As lets be honest the FA Cup and League Cup have lost it's magic. The League Cup is practically the reserve team cup until the last 4.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 27, 2013, 05:06:21 pm by RedJ »
It's looking increasingly likely the Europa league is set to be scrapped and the Champions League increased to 64 teams.  Therefore likely 6 or 7 teams from England would qualify. How about if this does happen, who ever wins the FA Cup and League Cup qualifies for it? As lets be honest the FA Cup and League Cup have lost it's magic. The League Cup is practically the reserve team cup until the last 4.

Why does it? (that isn't slating what you've said - I genuinely haven't heard anything about this)

I think you should have to win a major trophy (the two cups or the league) to get into the Champions League anyway, and if one club wins more than one thing have a playoff between second and third for example like they do abroad for the other place. Won't ever happen but that's my thoughts on it.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 27, 2013, 05:18:31 pm by River Don »
The Bundesliga should be the blue print.

Reasonable ticket prices, reasonably priced away travel, safe standing allowed.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 27, 2013, 05:19:01 pm by Bessie Red »
Here's a novel idea - each team that wins their respactive league ie the champiins go into the Champions League.  :coat:

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 27, 2013, 05:22:10 pm by Woodhead Passer »
The most expensive Arsenal adult matchday ticket is £125

The cheapest Bayern Munich adult season ticket is £96

The Bundesliga IMO is the best division in the world, there are more competing teams for the title. Whereas the Premiership is just Utd, City or Chelsea

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 27, 2013, 05:23:08 pm by River Don »
Here's a novel idea - each team that wins their respactive league ie the champiins go into the Champions League.  :coat:

I quite like that but imagine if it was a knock out cup competition instead. It'd make for more exciting games and we'd probably see a greater variety of winners... They could call it The European Cup.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 27, 2013, 06:16:45 pm by roverstillidie91 »
The most expensive Arsenal adult matchday ticket is £125

The cheapest Bayern Munich adult season ticket is £96

Don't agree with that

Bayern Munich near enough always win it and there is Dortmund. And maybe another now an again

The Bundesliga IMO is the best division in the world, there are more competing teams for the title. Whereas the Premiership is just Utd, City or Chelsea

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 27, 2013, 06:19:48 pm by LincsRover »
There's only two teams that can realistically win it though. Valencia getting it the other year was like their Blackburn '95.

And how many teams can win the premiership? - both from Manchester!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 27, 2013, 06:33:27 pm by RedJ »

Chelsea?

Once Arsenal have the ground paid off, too. Whenever that is..

sirfoxinthebox

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 27, 2013, 06:36:54 pm by sirfoxinthebox »
this is were england suffers tho starting 11 are made up from 7 or 8 clubs were as spain is mostly barca afew from real madrid also the germans mostly beyern.
it all comes from grass root and players not demanding what they hearn

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 27, 2013, 06:39:33 pm by DonnyNoel »
nearly all of the teams have struggled against lower league opposition in cup compositions.
all are struggling in champions league and no of them want to try in europa league always field weaker sides.
as a rovers fan i cant understand why the so called promise land is so special my point being is there is too much money in football nowadays thats is why i enjoy league 1 football  all the clubs are down to earth and all the wage bills will be around the same apart from the odd 1 or 2.
what do fellow rovers fans think if we ever where to get to premiership how would it affect us? :rtid:

Ignoring the argument re Premier league vs the ROW it could also be the quality of the other leagues that give us cup upsets as well as the cup structure. I bet the attendances (and wages!) of championship clubs are more than a lot of europeans top flight clubs and we also operate 4 (probably nearer to 5) professional leagues, this isn't the case in many other European countries where leagues are regionalised and semi-pro from tier 3 downwards. We also have one tie per round in the cups (barring the League Cup semi) whereas a lot of foreign leagues have only one cup but play more rounds over two legs.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 27, 2013, 06:45:26 pm by LincsRover »

Chelsea?

Once Arsenal have the ground paid off, too. Whenever that is..

Chelsea? Not this season - but as a russian billionaires plaything he may decide to try & buy another title, though doubt he can compete with sheikh Mansour?
And Arsenal? They'll do well to top 4 this season, and are normally happy to qualify for Champions league (well, the owners, not the fans!).

Nope, sorry, 2 horse race this year, and for the forseeable future I'm afraid.  :thumbdown:

Rover19

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 27, 2013, 06:46:16 pm by Rover19 »
In the last ten years 5 different teams have won the Bundesliga title. the most out of any top European league

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 27, 2013, 06:54:50 pm by LincsRover »

I would love, just love Rovers being in the premiership for all the exposure, kudos & good publicity for little donny..... We might even fill the ground with all those 'fans' who want to see prem teams at the keepmoat! However, I would fear we would need to sell our souls again. like we nearly did last year, just to stay there. Wherever we are, I will buy my ST and enjoy being able to recognise the players and know (and be able to pronounce) their names.

:rtid:

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 27, 2013, 07:16:47 pm by GazLaz »
The EPL is not as good as it was a few years ago but the standard has always gone up and down. The top teams aren't as good as they were but think the teams that are 5th to 10th are better.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 27, 2013, 07:26:32 pm by DonnyNoel »
The EPL is not as good as it was a few years ago but the standard has always gone up and down. The top teams aren't as good as they were but think the teams that are 5th to 10th are better.

I'd go along with that. Some teams are struggling in Europe and instead of looking at how the big teams do against each other we start thinking "xxxx could well drop points at Everton/Spurs/WBA etc"

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 27, 2013, 11:51:21 pm by Mr1Croft »
One big reason to support the Bundesliga being the best league in the world; 14 of the 18 teams made a profit last season despite only receiving around 65% of how much income the Premier League received. So they got less money than the PL but spent a lot less. Football clubs in this country and becoming less and less appealing to foreign investment and once Manchester United finally break and the Glazers are crippled I think that is when we will finally realize the game is dying and by then it would be too late to save it.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 28, 2013, 12:03:47 am by BobG »
Perhaps, Mr Croft, once the threat of imminent death penetrates the powers that be, it will act as the final spur to the creation of a European superleague? God... heaven preserve us. I suspect the rumours about the imminent death of the Europa league and the creation of a 64 team European championship might well be a step along that road....

BobG.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 28, 2013, 12:19:58 am by Mr1Croft »
Well Bob, there has been talk among some of football clubs' top lawyers to create a European Super League away from Uefa. The G14 acknowledged the Uefa as the governing body of the sport in Europe only until 2014 and there hasn't been a formal agreement (yet) for this to continue.

So imagine this scenario: Lets just say that the top football clubs in Europe think "What happens if we set up a new European governing body?" Well we all know the answer to that, Uefa's rules are thrown down the drain along with the Financial Fair Play rule that the top clubs are not happy about.

Now combine this with the rise of football in Asia that is becoming much more competitive due to the money being poured in from those who have made their money in the growing economies such as India and we are heading to something much, much worse: a Eurasia Champions League that will see even Mr Murdoch sell his own children and grandchildren to get the TV rights, the game gets even bigger and richer and the inequality grows further apart...

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 28, 2013, 12:52:31 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Money doesn't but you everything. I wouldn't even guess how much Abromovic put in to Chelsea but are their fans any more happier than we are?

Relatively speaking, Wigan, Stoke, Swansea, Norwich have been financially prudent so there's much less pressure on their clubs to need to get in to the top 5 to generate the money they need to pay stupid wages.

Seems to me the best way of spending money is keeping fans coming through the turnstiles, getting bums on seats knowing you are not being fleeced by players/agents who don't give a monkey's what colour shirt they are wearing one week to the next.

We lost our way and as a club had a bit of an identity crisis by going all corporate and charging 'middle class' prices because that's what everybody else does, forgetting about the fabric that got us to where we were.

Keep it real and we'll not go far wrong ! 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012