Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:32:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Premier League brand  (Read 1698 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Premier League brand
« on March 28, 2014, 10:44:13 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Count up the different reasons why I despise the Premier League.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26782112

Actually, the thought of the "brand" being hurt is not the most repulsive thing that Scudamore says. It is this.
"we're in the business of putting on a competition and competition means people can compete."

Competition? My fat sweaty arse. In the last 16 years, only five different clubs have finished in the top 2. Man Utd are struggling this year but the top 2 will (once again) be two of the other four leading clubs.

But that's modern capitalism for you. No matter what the reality, make sure you push a message relentlessly that says everything is fine and dandy and working for you the consumer.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Premier League brand
« Reply #1 on March 28, 2014, 10:51:31 am by GazLaz »
Any massive money generating business has to create a brand. I just watch the premiership for what it is, a game of football. Don't interest myself with the politics of it. You have to admit the football played in it is breathtaking at times.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 28, 2014, 10:52:49 am by The Red Baron »
I hold no brief for the Premier League, but it is no more and no less competitive than other similar leagues in Europe. In fact, this season has been marginally better in both the EPL and La Liga with one team in each (Liverpool and Atletico) muscling in on the usual cosy duopoly.

What is disappointing to me is that the much-praised Bundesliga has ended up as big a one-horse-race as the SPL.

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 28, 2014, 11:03:20 am by BigColSutherland »
Are any decent leagues in Europe competitive anymore BST?

Until the last week or so there were four teams in the Premier League with a genuine shout at winning the title. I don't see that in too many other countries. Granted, the majority of the other 16 teams were never in with a shout at all, but in comparison to other countries, the Premier League is currently the most competitive.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 28, 2014, 11:11:22 am by Dare to dream! »
I hold no brief for the Premier League, but it is no more and no less competitive than other similar leagues in Europe. In fact, this season has been marginally better in both the EPL and La Liga with one team in each (Liverpool and Atletico) muscling in on the usual cosy duopoly.

What is disappointing to me is that the much-praised Bundesliga has ended up as big a one-horse-race as the SPL.

I think the premier league is a lot more competitive than any other league in the world because every team is at a decent standard. How often do you see Barca, Munich or Juve get beat by a bottom half team? It's like once a season, it's every other week in the prem.

Also i think if you put the bottom 8 teams of the premiership, La Liga, Serie A, Budesliga into one big league, that league's top 8 would be dominated by the prem teams.

On the Bundesliga the teams are well run debt free yeah that's nice but thats never going to be as entertaining as the premier league. I watch the highlights on a monday night and they bore me.

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 28, 2014, 11:53:50 am by scaley back rover »
The SPL has been very competitive this season at the start all bar one club had a chance of finishing second and that was celtic

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 28, 2014, 12:01:52 pm by hoolahoop »
The SPL has been very competitive this season at the start all bar one club had a chance of finishing second and that was celtic

No worries the '_punished' Rangers will soon be back . lol

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 28, 2014, 01:29:43 pm by bobjimwilly »
"But you have to balance that off against, generally, we're in the business of putting on a competition and competition means people can compete."

You can tell from the overall tone of the article he would prefer it if there wasn't as much competition. It's like most things with professional football these days; f*ck the fans, as long as we're making money!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 28, 2014, 02:37:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Until the last week or so there were four teams in the Premier League with a genuine shout at winning the title. I don't see that in too many other countries. Granted, the majority of the other 16 teams were never in with a shout at all, but in comparison to other countries, the Premier League is currently the most competitive.

BCS

That's rather missing the point. I'm not comparing the Premier League laterally through space. I'm comparing it longitudinally through time.

The fact that four teams were in a genuine competition is of no interest to me whatsoever. They were four of the same 5 who have dominated the Premier League since (I'm guessing) you weren't far out of primary school. That's not competition. It's monopoly

The fact it's marginally less monopolistic than other major European leagues is scant comfort. The genuine competitive heart of English football was cut out 20 years ago and replaced with a system that guarantees success to a select few.

I don't blame the Premier League by the way vin as much as it's nothing more than a reflection of this era of western capitalism. We have a society which has all but eliminated social mobility, and in which the rewards go massively towards a few at the top. We have a football system which mirrors this.

They're both a bit shit aren't they?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 28, 2014, 02:50:10 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I think it is more the champions league money that allows the monopoly if that was spread over the whole league then there would be more variation in clubs who finish top four ect. this will never happen though

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 28, 2014, 02:53:18 pm by BigColSutherland »

BCS

That's rather missing the point. I'm not comparing the Premier League laterally through space. I'm comparing it longitudinally through time.

The fact that four teams were in a genuine competition is of no interest to me whatsoever. They were four of the same 5 who have dominated the Premier League since (I'm guessing) you weren't far out of primary school. That's not competition. It's monopoly

The fact it's marginally less monopolistic than other major European leagues is scant comfort. The genuine competitive heart of English football was cut out 20 years ago and replaced with a system that guarantees success to a select few.

I don't blame the Premier League by the way vin as much as it's nothing more than a reflection of this era of western capitalism. We have a society which has all but eliminated social mobility, and in which the rewards go massively towards a few at the top. We have a football system which mirrors this.

They're both a bit shit aren't they?

On the contrary BST. I haven't missed the point. I've made another one. A different one. Yes it's not very competitive, but in the Kingdom of the Blind, the one eyed man is King.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 28, 2014, 03:05:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bad analogy.

How about, in the kingdom of Kitsons, the fractionally less Kitsonish man is still a Kitson?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012