Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:57:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Premier League Shareholders meeting  (Read 2687 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Premier League Shareholders meeting
« on November 12, 2015, 09:38:16 am by silent majority »
They're having their big annual meet in London today and some of my FSF colleagues are leading a delegation to protest on ticket pricing etc. Hopefully, fingers crossed, that they will announce more price capping, more support for away fans and a retained fund that can be used to benefit of supporters.

If they do achieve that, it can only be good for those of us lower down the pyramid.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: Premier League Shareholders meeting
« Reply #1 on November 12, 2015, 02:49:48 pm by idler »
Every bit helps but as for lower league teams it's almost like holding a begging bowl out. We are asking for relatively small amounts whilst they collectively squander millions.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 12, 2015, 05:07:30 pm by roverstillidie91 »
The only way it will be sorted is for fans to boycott the games. Empty seats on live t.v beaming all over the world and viewers will think it is losing its appeal. Simples.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 13, 2015, 09:23:04 am by bobjimwilly »
when will we see a review of what was said Martin?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 13, 2015, 05:34:16 pm by silent majority »
It seems that there wasn't a majority capable of pushing the changes through, therefore any decision making has been deferred until the next meeting. Pity.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 18, 2015, 10:38:08 pm by bobjimwilly »
Thanks Martin. I don't agree with the last para, "Even if you said: ‘We think it would be desirable for every ticket price to be x’, there are immediately winners and losers in all of that"
If all away ticket prices were capped at £20, who are the losers? Overall the point seems to have been disappointingly lost on Scudamore; this is about THE FANS.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 19, 2015, 10:42:15 am by silent majority »
I wouldn't necessarily agree with you there. Don't forget  his role is to keep on making the PL the force that it is. It's our role to ensure that the fans get the deals that they want.

There are winners and losers because some PL clubs already sell at below £20. Some of course are well above that and the resistance to any deals come from them.

But all in all, it will have repercussions for all away fans at all levels.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 19, 2015, 01:57:13 pm by hoolahoop »
I wouldn't necessarily agree with you there. Don't forget  his role is to keep on making the PL the force that it is. It's our role to ensure that the fans get the deals that they want.

There are winners and losers because some PL clubs already sell at below £20. Some of course are well above that and the resistance to any deals come from them.

Hmm I would be far happier if there was some real thought from the Premier League bosses and Scudamore as to the survival of the 92 clubs that take part in this country.

Forget the £20 for a moment although that's important, just how much of that  £5,100,000,000 yes £5.1 BILLION rights money is spilling out to all the other clubs in the League. It's obscene. Just as a matter of interest which clubs exactly charge £20 or under on an average basis to away fans ?

Sounds to me as if this has just been shoved under the table nay thrown out of the window completely. It works in Germany why the feck can't it work here given that their income streams are already ridiculous !!

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 19, 2015, 02:44:41 pm by Yorkiered »

Hmm I would be far happier if there was some real thought from the Premier League bosses and Scudamore as to the survival of the 92 clubs that take part in this country.

Forget the £20 for a moment although that's important, just how much of that  £5,100,000,000 yes £5.1 BILLION rights money is spilling out to all the other clubs in the League. It's obscene. Just as a matter of interest which clubs exactly charge £20 or under on an average basis to away fans ?

Sounds to me as if this has just been shoved under the table nay thrown out of the window completely. It works in Germany why the feck can't it work here given that their income streams are already ridiculous !!

Maybe because like everything else in this country. It's not just the utility companies who are foreign owned but premiership football clubs as well.
They don't give a stuff about the fans, the same way E-on EDF and the rest don't care about their customers.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 19, 2015, 03:49:45 pm by silent majority »

Steve,

Playing devils advocate here, but how much should they pass onto the FL and why?

And in answer to your question of which clubs charge the £20 figure or less, then Swansea have a blanket £20 price. Other clubs also do this on a reciprocal basis, but these include WBA, Stoke, Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Watford.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 03:55:12 pm by silent majority »

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 19, 2015, 05:54:10 pm by albie »
I guess the argument is whether the Prem have a moral duty beyond the financial interests of the elite.

Reduction in ticket prices for fans is one key area in which they can help to support a wider community brief, and it should be encouraged. The revenues generated by the Prem are increasingly independent of ticket prices, which form a lower proportion of income relative to media and commercial streams.

The trouble is that it does not address the broader question of the overall health of the game in the UK. The resource concentration at the top has gone into wage inflation and  made football clubs a magnet for financial mismanagement, a trend that hardly needed encouragement.

Meanwhile the clubs lower down are falling further away from the realistic prospect of progress without significant cash inputs to artificially inflate their opportunities. This in turn leads to fans setting aside local loyalties to identify with a big brand.

So when we talk about the fans, we need to think about football fans in the round, not just the fans of Prem clubs, and how their interests are maintained. Rovers fans are worth the same as Chelski fans in my book. The fellas working in their spare time to help a local club are the forgotten heroes of football, and it is getting harder for them year on year.

Anyway, Ernst and Young have produced a report, setting out the contribution of the Prem to the economy;
The Premier League and its Clubs contributed £3.4bn to UK GDP in 2013/14 : F.C. Business

It gives you an idea of the scale of the economic activity. There are always different ways to slice the cake.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012