Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:16:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Premier league youngsters on loan  (Read 3556 times)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
Premier league youngsters on loan
« on June 02, 2019, 01:22:49 pm by Retdon1 »
Just read an article online where McCan has said he’s had numerous phone calls from several premier league clubs and the top 2 Scottish clubs about sending their better young players on loan to us for next season... sounds promising and hopefully get a couple of similar standard to Kane and Wilkes

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Premier league youngsters on loan
« Reply #1 on June 02, 2019, 01:24:04 pm by Campsall rover »
Just read an article online where McCan has said he’s had numerous phone calls from several premier league clubs and the top 2 Scottish clubs about sending their better young players on loan to us for next season... sounds promising and hopefully get a couple of similar standard to Kane and Wilkes
Sounds very promising.  :thumbsup:

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 02, 2019, 01:33:34 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

Got a link?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 02, 2019, 02:02:54 pm by RedJ »
Wouldn't mind Glenn Middleton... Greg Docherty had a good season with Shrewsbury too.

ss1953

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 02, 2019, 02:52:16 pm by ss1953 »
Living in Scotland I would not want to have anything to do with Celtic or Rangers. The associated hassle factor is huge. Just read BBC News online Scotland section. Currently they would have difficulty surviving the Championship.

The rest of them are rubbish. Look at Hearts where Ikpeazu is a superstar.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 02, 2019, 03:52:48 pm by Retdon1 »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-grant-mccann-on-plans-for-loan-signings-as-premier-league-clubs-pick-up-the-phone-1-9799269

Good article, Retdon1. Thanks!

It does sound very positive. Getting good loan players is vital. Knowing that big clubs trust us with their younger players, hopefully ensures we get the more promising ones like Kane and Wilkes.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 02, 2019, 05:18:42 pm by roversdude »
Living in Scotland I would not want to have anything to do with Celtic or Rangers. The associated hassle factor is huge. Just read BBC News online Scotland section. Currently they would have difficulty surviving the Championship.

I agree even Curtis Main is coveted in Scotland

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 02, 2019, 05:34:35 pm by RedJ »

I agree even Curtis Main is coveted in Scotland

Not really. He's what's regarded as a hammer thrower up there.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 02, 2019, 05:40:25 pm by NickDRFC »
The standard of football in the SPL isn’t great these days but Curtis Main isn’t coveted and Uche Ikpeazu isn’t a superstar - they’ve scored 6 goals in the SPL between them in the season just gone. If there’s a Celtic or Rangers kid (or Hearts or Motherwell for that matter) who could improve our team then I’d sign them in a heartbeat.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 02, 2019, 06:46:34 pm by adamtherover »
Ali Crawford getting injured in the first game this allowing Herbie loads of early season game time was a gift from God.  He cemented his place in the team, showing we will blood youngsters and make them vital in a successful side as long as they are good enough.  The lads at prem sides more than likely are good enough, it's just finding the right fit.  GMs stock with prem sides is riding high, surely liverpool have the next herbie kane wanting a season of league 1 footy under his belt....

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 02, 2019, 07:40:55 pm by Chris Black come back »
Curtis scored 3 in 31 league games this season in Scotland.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 04, 2019, 05:50:45 pm by roversdude »
Good effort

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 04, 2019, 06:52:36 pm by selby »
  We don't want Englands current left back or goalkeeper in the Toulon Tournament the way they are playing at the moment that's for sure.

drfchound

• Forum Member

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 04, 2019, 07:18:13 pm by roversdude »
Love this bit
Main has a decent CV having played for the likes of Middlesbrough, Doncaster and Portsmouth but his career sees him start his spells at clubs in a blaze of goals before his goals tails off.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 05, 2019, 03:06:33 am by roversdude »
I notice that one of our former loanees from Rangers has been released by Villa. Ross McCormack has had a strange career

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 05, 2019, 08:45:25 am by Chris Black come back »
Would imagine he is the richest player never really to have a Premier League career.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 05, 2019, 09:20:12 am by wing commander »
   Personally I don't want us to go down this line..Kane and Wilks and the others have been brilliant for us but it's a short term fix..At the end of the day we've took two young players,developed them,coached them and turned them into players worth a few million each and paid for the privilege while other clubs get the benefit for it.No wonder clubs are ringing us up wanting us to do the same for there players.

We had far to many loan players last season for me,i would happily take a season or so of mediocrity if it meant us going out and signing some young raw talent and developing our own players.Who will bring benefit and finance back into the club when they play and then move on...

Look at how much money we have made from transfers over the last 5 years or so.We sign or promote our youngsters and they get one year contracts and practically to a man they then go out on loan and disappear out the door..

Barnsley had one of the youngest teams this season and hardly had a loan player,while teams like Posh have made millions over the last few years developing there own talent and selling them on..

Without doubt it's the weakest part of our club and what needs addressing the most..i'm hoping we see a lot less loan players this year..

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 05, 2019, 09:29:38 am by Pancho Regan »
Some good points well-made there wingco

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 05, 2019, 09:46:49 am by idler »
I agree to an extent but loan players can also bring your players on.
Would Whiteman have come on so quickly without us having the season we have just had. It also shows our young players where they need to be aiming and what could be achieved with hard work and talent.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 05, 2019, 10:19:18 am by RoversAlias »
"Paid for the privilege" is the bit I take issue with in that post WC. The loan system is good for smaller clubs like ourselves, we would not be able to afford to have players as good as Wilks and Kane without it and won't have had to pay much to sign them or have them for the season. They were also already outstanding talents before they came here, it's not like they walked in last August as useless and suddenly turned into world-beaters under McCann.

Not disagreeing with all of your post, we definitely don't develop our own youth players well enough, but the loan system is something just about every club at this level utilises. Charlton just got promoted with quite a few loanees at the heart of their squad - Bielik, Cullen, Purrington and Williams (not a loanee but had his wages subsidised by Crystal Palace) were all important members of that team and none of them were Charlton's player.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 05, 2019, 11:01:19 am by wing commander »
   Fair points Alias...Like anything else in this world there is always a counter argument point of view.However just looking back on GM's interviews over the past season it's obvious that an awful lot of time,effort and coaching has gone into those lads to further there development,and while that's happening our first year pro's are over at teams like Gains Trinity doing training sessions with pe teachers and bricky's on a Tuesday and Thursday night...

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have any loan players but we certainly need to address the balance on just how many we take in my opinion anyway...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:05:07 am by wing commander »

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 05, 2019, 11:05:35 am by DearneValleyRover »
The problem we have is that there are so many good academies around us, Blades, Leeds and Barnsley plus the Manchester one's aren't far away. We struggle to attract the outstanding local talent so hope that we can unearth a slow developer or two. I had hoped we would have at least got an ex youth teamer consitantly getting first team game time by now even if only as a sub, let's hope that happens next season.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 05, 2019, 11:16:55 am by Drover »
The Article also says,Grant hopes to rely less on the loan signings this season compared to last,which is good to hear.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 05, 2019, 11:19:42 am by wing commander »
   That's true mate however I know a few coaches of kids teams who don't have that high opinion of Rovers youngsters coaching set up if i'm honest..For a start they see Wednesday and Leeds coaches at games more than ours..I know a youngster who played for a local team kids team who is a bit of a standout..last year he had a choice of Owls,Leeds,and Barnsley academy's..He went to the owls and has been doing brilliantly..His manager never even saw a Rovers scout the whole season...

Rovers take a lot of youngsters but its as much as a business at times as it is about finding a gem or two...The proof is always in the pudding as they say and you cant get away from the fact that we have produced nothing really

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 05, 2019, 10:06:27 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
It's hard though the reality is owls and leeds have the money to send scouts to lots of games and if you were a kid with the choice that lad had and donny were in the mix would we really be 1st choice? until we either get a few proven ones through the system or become more established at a higher level we won't be able to compete at the younger scale.

We've more chance focusing on the later year 16-18 and getting drop outs from those academies (who do make mistakes) and getting them to a place where they can make it pro than we have getting lads at 7-9 and taking them all the way to the 1st team.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012