Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:23:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Premier league Madness  (Read 3018 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Premier league Madness
« on August 24, 2020, 12:59:06 pm by Campsall rover »
Just seen that Chelsea are about to spend 90 million on Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen.

Never even heard of him. Presumably he is quite useful !

But it’s obvious the Covid 19 situation has had no financial impact whatsoever on all the big clubs while many EFL clubs face financial ruin.

It’s a total shambles and morally wrong imo.
These clubs may be big business’s but it is a sport they are involved in and there should be a much more even spread of the TV money.

The greed and self interest of the Premier league sickens me to the core.  :that:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 01:02:27 pm by Campsall rover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
Re: Premier league Madness
« Reply #1 on August 24, 2020, 01:09:24 pm by Guernsey Exile »
Its crazy...didn't Arsenal make 55 people redundant the same day they gave Willian £100k a week contract

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 24, 2020, 01:16:06 pm by Campsall rover »
Its crazy...didn't Arsenal make 55 people redundant the same day they gave Willian £100k a week contract

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:  Eventually it will all come crashing to the ground in the Premier League and i will have no sympathy for any of them.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 24, 2020, 01:20:49 pm by tyke1962 »
Just seen that Chelsea are about to spend 90 million on Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen.

But it’s obvious the Covid 19 situation has had no financial impact whatsoever on all the big clubs while many EFL clubs face financial ruin.

These clubs may be big business’s but it is a sport they are involved in and there should be a much more even spread of the TV money.

The greed and self interest of the Premier league sickens me to the core.  :that:

It was pretty clear from the day the PL was formed what it was all about in my opinion .

They basically broke away from the rest of us so they could negotiate a better tv deal and keep it for themselves .

In essence that was the crux of it .

Don't even get me started on parachute payments which has created the absolute madness that is the Championship which then trickles down to league one making the jump to the Championship the mountain to climb it is .

I'm old enough to remember Nottingham Forest getting promoted to the old first division in 1977 and winning the first division title by a considerable margin the very next season .

Impossible for that to happen today and the game is the poorer for it too .

Parachute payments indeed , millions and millions of pounds for failure .

:headbang:

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 24, 2020, 01:26:49 pm by tyke1962 »

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:  Eventually it will all come crashing to the ground in the Premier League and i will have no sympathy for any of them.

They've said that for two decades now but I have to say I don't see it .

It's probably now the worlds top league surpassing La Liga , global giant .

The marketing is superb and the amount of money they accumulate from here in the UK and worldwide is phenomenal .

There's nowt great about it for the likes of us but that's capitalism for you .

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 24, 2020, 01:28:18 pm by Alan Southstand »
Absolutely, Tyke.

Parachute chords should be severed, once and for all. Totally unfair.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 24, 2020, 01:36:24 pm by Campsall rover »

It was pretty clear from the day the PL was formed what it was all about in my opinion .

They basically broke away from the rest of us so they could negotiate a better tv deal and keep it for themselves .

Don't even get me started on parachute payments which has created the absolute madness that is the Championship which then trickles down to league one making the jump to the Championship the mountain to climb it is .

I'm old enough to remember Nottingham Forest getting promoted to the old first division in 1977 and winning the first division title by a considerable margin the very next season .

Yes Tyke it’s all really very sad the way money runs just about everything regarding football.

Don’t want to sound like a sad, bitter grumpy old man but it was better in the old days when clubs could do what Forest did as you said. Leeds in 1965 lost the title to Man U on goal average ( as it was then ) 1st season after getting promoted, also Ipswich & Burnley, in the early 60’s & QPR in the 70’s just to name a few examples.

What chance Ipswich or Burnley doing that now. Almost zero.

What Leicester did 4 yrs ago was a once in 40/50 year feat in the modern game.

Still what has improved is the speed and quality of the game. Just a shame it isn’t a much more even playing field and every Football League club could aspire to achieve what Northampton Town for example did in the mid 60’s. 4th Div to 1st Div in successive seasons.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 01:58:54 pm by Campsall rover »

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 24, 2020, 02:04:19 pm by Pliskin »
In the top leagues, fans are now seen as just an optional bit of stadium decoration for the global audience.

Nice to have, but they can pretty much carry on as normal without it.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 24, 2020, 02:09:27 pm by bedale rover »
Or Carlisle

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 24, 2020, 02:10:53 pm by tyke1962 »

Yes Tyke it’s all really very sad the way money runs just about everything regarding football.

Don’t want to sound like a sad, bitter grumpy old man but it was better in the old days when clubs could do what Forest did as you said. Leeds in 1965 lost the title to Man U on goal average ( as it was then ) 1st season after getting promoted, also Ipswich & Burnley, in the early 60’s & QPR in the 70’s Just to name a few examples.

What chance Ipswich or Burnley doing that now. Almost zero. What Leicester did 4 yrs ago was a once in 40/50 year feat in the modern game.

Still what has improved is the speed and quality of the game. Just a shame it isn’t a much more even playing field and every Football League club could aspire to achieve what Northampton Town for example did in the mid 60’s. 4th Div to 1st Div in successive seasons.

The game did have some serious problems in the 70's and 80's and at times its future in this country looked bleak .

I tell the young lads at work about my first visit to Stamford Bridge in 1981 when we played Chelsea in the old second division .

You needed a big pair to run the gauntlet at that club back then because it was frightening on those terraces , not only that the stadium was dropping to bits .

I reckon there were less than 10k inside Stamford Bridge that day and we beat them fairly easily .

The young lads at work think I'm away with the fairies , football started in 1992 apparently !!! .

Go to Stamford Bridge today and the most danger you are likely to face is some Sebastian spilling his wine on you in a trendy bar next to the Bridge pre match .

The games improved on the field and inside stadiums but it's come at a cost because it's massively marketed and sanitised to the extreme .

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 24, 2020, 03:39:04 pm by Chris the Rover »
Modern day football has lost its soul. That’s the top and bottom of it.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 24, 2020, 03:44:55 pm by colincramb »
I like how some moan about the premier league, but how many of them pay sky subscriptions? If your one of the ones who moan and still pay this then you can’t really complain.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 24, 2020, 03:49:10 pm by bpoolrover »
Often the owners have billions of pounds anyway so it’s not going to dent there fortune that much, for me if they have the money and want to spend it so be it

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 24, 2020, 04:13:36 pm by sha66y »
If you have sky sports, BT sports or any club f the others that provide a sports package.....you are part of the problem.....become part of the solution instead, turn away from all Premiership/Championship and England internationals.......

You know it makes sense

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 24, 2020, 04:40:41 pm by Campsall rover »
If you have sky sports, BT sports or any club f the others that provide a sports package.....you are part of the problem.....become part of the solution instead, turn away from all Premiership/Championship and England internationals.......

You know it makes sense
Know what your saying but if i cancel my subscription do you think it will make any difference?  ;)
Sky have millions of other subscribers who are Premier League addicts who will never even contemplate not having Sky Sports in their homes.

I enjoy watching the football myself and Soccer Saturday & mid week equivalent when i am not at a Rovers match, so would miss it considerably.
Also i am a Cricket fanatic and that is almost exclusively on SkyTV 

It’s just the greed of the clubs i am not happy with.
The Premier league think they have the right to all the gold.

Well no they don’t imo.

They need to look after the smaller clubs because without them there will be no talent coming through the youth academies and in the long term that will be a disaster for our National teams and also for Premier league clubs themselves if Sky were to cut their TV contribution at some time in the future.
Unlikely it will happen but no one knows the future do they.

The Premier league is now 60% to 70% foreign that would get even higher without the 72 EFL club academies.

Do we want a Premier league of 90% foreign Nationals?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 08:17:42 pm by Campsall rover »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 24, 2020, 04:55:20 pm by wilts rover »
Campsall, it's not that long ago they were discussing playing games overseas.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 24, 2020, 05:12:57 pm by Campsall rover »
Campsall, it's not that long ago they were discussing playing games overseas.
They were. All they are interested in is £££ 

Greed Greed Greed.  To hell with the British Football loving public.
We are just a minor revenue stream and are not worthy of consideration unfortunately.

Any way that’s my gripe over with. Up the Rovers. Roll on 12/09/20 and can’t wait to be sat in the Keepmoat again very soon,  hopefully.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 24, 2020, 08:13:06 pm by graingrover »
this thread speaks for thousands of us ordinary fans .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 24, 2020, 08:19:00 pm by selby »
  The EFL and the government lost their chance at the start of the Covid pandemic, when I predicted on here if the situation was not used to the benefit of the smaller clubs in the first couple of weeks, they would not get even a scratched arse of help from the premiership clubs.
  Enjoy scratching your arses guys.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 24, 2020, 10:52:12 pm by tyke1962 »
Yes there was hooliganism , yes the stadiums weren't great and yes the standard of football wasn't as good as today .

What you had was passion on those terraces , no matter how skint you were you go always manage the match on a saturday .

If you were out of work in Maggies Britain in Liverpool , Manchester or Newcastle the match was the only thing you had to keep you going .

Out of work today and you wouldn't even be able to keep the Sky subscription on never mind take your seat inside the stadium .

I've been inside Oakwell as I'm sure you have Belle Vue and the ground rocked on those terraces , it does still at times but only on the really big occasions which are few and far between .

I understand things change , life moves on but I ain't half glad I cut my teeth on those terraces and experienced some great times .

Over 33k inside Oakwell the night we beat Man City in the League Cup in 1981 , you couldn't move two inch but what an atmosphere .

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 25, 2020, 01:12:27 am by Draytonian III »

You know it makes sense

So I cut off my Sky, but I’m not the only person in my house that watches sport, I watch more cricket than football on tv especially when it’s from abroad.
 I know all powerful Sky dictates the kick offs of matches and if they wanted to have English games kicking off at 2.30 on Tuesday morning they would do. It’s all about opinions and needs

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 25, 2020, 07:04:32 am by graingrover »
The government should consider a specific luxury tax on transfer fees of over a certain sum and I would suggest 40% luxury tax ion all sums over 20 million between English clubs and 90% on agents ´fées

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 25, 2020, 07:37:25 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Blades recent acquisition of their new keeper sums up the excesses and inequality.

They offered £12m which was rejected. So did they up their bid to £13, £14, £15m? No, a whopping £18m without batting an eyelid.

Yet the perverse thing is, they'll claim the sell on fee for Ben Whiteman  if and when the time comes. It's not even loose change in relative terms. To think they have £40m? wrapped up in ribbons waiting for them should they get relegated is just sickening.

Whether this is enforceable I'm not sure but any Prem Club or Club in receipt of parachute payments should pay any transfer fees to lower ranked clubs in full. None of this installment malarkey.

That said, hopefully parachute payments will end, which should force clubs to adopt tighter wage controls and manage their risks better.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 25, 2020, 07:44:11 am by graingrover »
How do normal folk start a government reaction to stop this idiotic reckless practice by the Premiership .There is a growing concern and disgust throughout the country as people wince at the financia strain they are under yet have to watch these crazy football transfers .

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 25, 2020, 09:13:30 am by Campsall rover »
The government should consider a specific luxury tax on transfer fees of over a certain sum and I would suggest 40% luxury tax ion all sums over 20 million between English clubs and 90% on agents ´fées
Well i am all for free enterprise and market forces as a rule of thumb but in this case Graingerover i have to agree with you.

Something has to be done because the gap between the Premier League and most in League 2 is so vast at the present time it has become obscene, unhealthy, and unworkable.
The Present league system is going to collapse. It was not sustainable before Covid 19 and now it has become a meltdown in waiting.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 25, 2020, 09:24:45 am by selby »
  Graingerover, I suggested the same thing weeks ago on here although I would tax transfer fees much lower  say £2 million to save the clubs in the Championship from themselves, and stop teams like Charlton, Portsmouth and Peterborough  etc. from joining the club

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 25, 2020, 09:40:56 am by Colemans Left Hook »
How do normal folk start a government reaction to stop this idiotic reckless practice by the Premiership .There is a growing concern and disgust throughout the country as people wince at the financia strain they are under yet have to watch these crazy football transfers .

Close to the next bielection someone starts a crowdfund to raise money for someone of say the "fair football party" to stand for parliament or even better eleven people standing numbered 1__ to 11

Grass roots mown down by the premiership ....  Sounds good
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:44:05 am by Colemans Left Hook »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 25, 2020, 11:08:55 am by tyke1962 »
The PL operates in a complete bubble with so much distance put between themselves and the EFL it may not even exist for all it matters to them .

They dont respect the FA cup or the League cup because everything is geared in one direction , PL and the revenue that goes with it .

The only remaining link is that they use the EFL to loan their younger players out , that's practically all they see .

The biggest percentage of players they recruit aren't from the lower leagues anymore , they are from abroad and it's extremely rare to see players with good PL careers drop in to the EFL to finish their careers .

They even protect themselves massively from relegation with parachute payments so that they give themselves the advantage of returning to the PL and keep their snouts in the trough .

They have virtually created a dictatorship within english football .

It actually suits governments , the amount of revenue that's created and tax paid on it will be substantial , I can only remember one politician speaking out about football today and that was Corbyn .

Everything you need to know about the PL is contained in the Bury story .

Bury sits less than 10 miles from two of the giants of the PL and Europe , neither City or United lifted one finger in the direction of their neighbour .

Bury were the homeless person sat outside Canary Wharf as the wealthy financial fund managers walked past , they never even noticed he was there and walked on .

The PL is a mirror image of UK society today , a small in numbers so called elite who have managed to control everthing to suit themselves and themselves only to the detriment of the rest .

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 11:11:04 am by tyke1962 »

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 25, 2020, 12:17:18 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I can't see how taxing would make any difference in the amount spent. It would mean agents and players would tend to demand a higher price to get the money they are used to. If that "tax" was pumped directly to the lower leagues it could help some more players earn a reasonable living, it could help even up the gross imbalance between leagues a little.

The money flooding in isn't going to change, and the PL won't vote to distribute more of it downwards. The only way I think is to be clearer and stricter with the FFP rules including quicker implementation of bigger point deductons, restrictions and fines. If it's clear enough, appeals shouldn't be a thing. And if a club is seen to be flaunting the spirit of the FFP by using dirty loopholes that should be acted on too.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 25, 2020, 12:42:50 pm by tyke1962 »
There's something else appearing on the horizon too .

If you look across the leagues in europe you are seeing total domination by one club .

Bayern dominate the Bundesliga .

PSG have the French league wrapped up .

Juventus the same in Italy .

Real Madrid or Barca in Spain .

They are all starting to get totally uncompetitive .

The only serious competition these heavyweights get is in the Champions League .

All roads point to the formation of a European League before too long .

It's slightly more competitive in the PL but it's generally 3 or 4 clubs competing for the title .

Governing bodies start clipping the wings off our elite clubs and they'll be more than interested in joining a new European League .

Throw in the Amazon billions who are more than showing an interest in the football market and it will happen before too long .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012