Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:13:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Premier League Makes Its Move  (Read 7190 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Premier League Makes Its Move
« Reply #90 on October 14, 2020, 07:41:31 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I hadn't realised Arsenal are still considered members of the big six. Of course this sort of action is meant to ensure they remain so.

Ironic really, what keeps English football compelling is that things can and do change over time. It still isn't quite dominated by one single or pair of big clubs.

In the end they will kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Edit: interesting also that Leicester City aren't in the list of proposed ruling clubs, given there are wealthy owners there and they look set to be a fixture fighting for European places for the foreseeable future.

It's the longest serving clubs at any given time. If Southampton were to go down then Palace or someone will get their place at the big boys table. It isn't to do with titles or size of the club, just length of stay.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on October 14, 2020, 08:05:29 pm by Alan Southstand »
£50m doesn’t go very far when you consider how many clubs are in L1&2, but it keeps the wolves from the door (and I don’t mean the Premiership Club).

I notice there maybe other ideas that could come to fruition, like tax breaks for example and testing paid for. Every little helps, as they say.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on October 14, 2020, 08:29:16 pm by RoversAlias »
Forgive me but hasn't the government got its hands full right now!? Other than the issue of Safe Standing which needs government approval, why does this need government intervention?

Keeping national sport alive is an important role for the government - football alone brings in millions for the economy each year.

The government is a large, wide-ranging operation for a reason. There is a lot to focus on at all times and that includes sport.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on October 14, 2020, 08:48:21 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I heard a pundit, maybe colin murry, saying that football clubs and their grounds should become listed like other culturally significant buildings/organisations. That way the football pyramid can be protected in law someway and anyone who invests in a club is doing it for the love not financial benefits because what can be done to that club is limited.

Seemed a good idea imo. i think it was more targeted at dodgy owners who the EFL let buy clubs but the idea could be used to protect the football pyramid as a whole from EPL's greed. Fans of big clubs don't want this either it is just greedy owners who want it.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on October 14, 2020, 09:13:01 pm by tyke1962 »
Well we will of course see where the chips fall now after today's decision .

The consensus seems to be that the chancellor will bail out the EFL .

On a scale of 1 to 10 right now I reckon the EFL will be lucky to make 1 on a list of government priorities .

£15m was heading  Rovers way if they are promoted  to the Championship plus stabilising the current situation and furthermore a parachute payment free championship .

Hopefully you'll make it up in to the Championship this season because they may not be a league one for too much longer .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on October 15, 2020, 09:28:50 am by selby »
  Tyke, the share of the pie is going to be less for the Championship clubs, no parachute payments and a bigger gap between the top clubs and the rest.
  Relegated clubs from the Premiership will have to get their player contracts right or go under and the money on offer will not scratch the already large debts of such as Derby, Notts Forest, and the massive, and will no longer have much of an attraction to such as your foreign owners.
  There will always be a division 1 and two, there could be different clubs but clubs will always replace clubs.
  I would say the the difference is such in the next couple of seasons that it is more important that your club stays where it is than us getting to that level as regards sustainability. It will be a big step down in future and similar to what Sunderland are going through now for every future side coming down and without the parachute payments they have benefitted from.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on October 15, 2020, 12:02:59 pm by selby »
I have just listened to a representative of Brighton on talksport Tyke, it sounded as if them and a few other clubs in the Premiership are not that keen on spreading money about to Championship clubs who have rich benefactors like yourselves although quite happy to help out the lower leagues.
 There could be trouble ahead.

donnyguy

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on October 15, 2020, 08:30:50 pm by donnyguy »
The £50 million pound loans has been turned down by EFL as it did not include championship clubs

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on October 15, 2020, 09:34:12 pm by albie »
Torygraph report on the rejected deal;
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/10/15/efl-unites-reject-premier-league-bailout-threatens-action-force/

Looks like Greg Clarke was after Plan "B" teams earlier on.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/15/fa-chairman-greg-clarke-involved-in-talks-proposing-premier-league-2-and-b-teams-project-big-picture

What now....time for an independent regulator?
Taxi for Mr Clarke and Mr Parry!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 09:47:01 pm by albie »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on October 16, 2020, 09:22:37 am by DonnyOsmond »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on October 16, 2020, 09:37:23 am by Metalmicky »

Couldn't agree more @DonnyOsmond - well said....

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on October 20, 2020, 08:02:32 pm by drfchound »
I have been saying for some time now that this would happen.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on October 20, 2020, 08:17:36 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I wonder if Liverpool and Man Utd were gracious enough to let any other clubs know they were conspiring to do this before trying to get Big Picture past them or whether everybody else were kept deliberately in the dark whilst they tried their domestic power-grab..?

Any club that signs up for this should be chucked out of the Premier League and FA Cup because I bet they've done it behind the backs of the FA as well.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on October 20, 2020, 09:26:54 pm by Branton Rover »
No bloody wonder they want 18 teams they want less games so they can exploit the fifa Euro league thing for more money than you could reasonably imagine - greedy bas**rds

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on October 28, 2020, 12:06:00 pm by albie »
Trustworthy as a wounded rattlesnake, they are;
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/27/premier-league-kept-project-big-picture-plans-secret-from-clubs-outside-big-six

Everybody knows that if it does not happen this time, they will regroup and try again.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on October 28, 2020, 12:29:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Something needs to happen very quickly.

https://youtu.be/9_YduwHZZV8

I'm sure the vast majority will agree with what Gary Neville says however, I am concerned that once again, we seem to be looking at the government to step in a break the impass. Football created this monster, football should be willing and able to sort it out. Nobody asked for government intervention when all was going well and TV contracts were divvying up ever increasing prize money and parachute payments etc, so why should Gary Neville and others demand action by the government now?

That said, I don't know what action can be taken by clubs, the fans etc., to force change, to force heads together, before it's too late.

Do we have to get all the EFL and 14 Prem clubs to go on strike? All fans to quit Sky, Subscription TV, and stop betting on football??

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on October 29, 2020, 03:46:50 pm by Alan Southstand »
So, time is drifting by and, as far as we all know, there’s absolutely nothing on the table by way of an alternative rescue package.

No doubt there has been meetings and lots of talking, but no news isn’t good.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on October 29, 2020, 03:53:13 pm by drfchound »
Mmmm, no surprise there then Alan.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on October 29, 2020, 04:34:01 pm by Alan Southstand »
None at all, hound, and exactly what I expected and predicted.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on October 29, 2020, 04:45:45 pm by selby »
They are playing for time and holding on hoping it gets to the point where the smaller clubs will accept any scrap that is thrown at them, it is nothing that I didn't predict at the beginning of the whole saga.
   Some managing officers want sacking and banning from ever holding management positions in the game ever again.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012