Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:41:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: You Fat B*******  (Read 22514 times)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: You Fat B*******
« Reply #30 on February 05, 2014, 04:53:17 pm by River Don »
Filo

I think it is because everyone can do something about their weight, always accepting that it is much more challenging for some. Anyway, these days it is a lot less acceptable to abuse people because of their body shape.

Not everyone can though, medication and medical conditions prevent some people from doing something about it, how do you distinguish between a genuine " fat b*****d and some one else that has a condition or takes medication before you call someone a " fat b*****d"? You don't, you just generalise, tar everyone with the same brush. When I use the word " you" I am not referring to you or anyone else in particular 

Those people are a relatively few and far between but point taken.

I only used the title for a laugh really, apparently though most people reading it are likely to be overweight but It wasn't aimed at any individual and many people reading it won't be either.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 05, 2014, 05:15:56 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It's a load of fad quackery too

No it isn't. It's scientifically backed up

By who? Anybody reputable like the BMA, the NHS or the BNF. for example?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 05, 2014, 05:25:59 pm by River Don »

The theories behind these restricted calorie diets have been inspired by the work of a number of American institutions, the science is all fairly new. Which ones they are and which scientists are involved in the research I couldn't tell you.

If you really want to find out it was all featured on the BBC Horizon documentary. Horizon is a fairly well respected science program, if they are prepared to feature it, I'd say it points to it being more than quackery.

http://vimeo.com/54089463

I have lost and kept off two and a half stone with it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:34:24 pm by River Don »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 05, 2014, 05:31:23 pm by pib »
i blame this on lindleys make the pies cheaper and get them to us faster so we can get to the top of the league. If they dont its a lack of ambition imo

Also it could make our stadium look fuller less is more :chair:

Well I'm doing my best in that department :)

But as a side issue, the title of this thread seems to be perfectly acceptable for the PC brigade, as we don't appear to have had one complaint about it. Yet replace the word fat with the word black and You can bet your life there'll be complaints of the highest order pretty sharpish. Abuse is abuse, wether it be race, colour, gender, sexuality or in this case body shape

I wasn't aware of the centuries of oppression and subordination suffered by fat people and the contrasting and long-standing privilege enjoyed by those of a healthy weight.

Perhaps you could point me in the direction of something I could read to educate me on this that won't make it seem ignorant and puerile to compare it to racism?

Oh, and your use of the term "PC brigade" indicates to me that the moral high-ground you've claimed in this debate is slipping through your fingers before you've even started.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:34:22 pm by pib »

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on February 05, 2014, 05:55:52 pm by Muttley »
How do they arrive at the figures?

By eating too much cake.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on February 05, 2014, 07:26:16 pm by CusworthRovers »

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 05, 2014, 07:31:40 pm by bobjimwilly »
I'm now down to 6 stones and still losing.

Are you a dwarf?

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on February 05, 2014, 10:32:09 pm by Iberian Red »
If you can lose another 6 stone in a week IC1967.
 I would like to donate a fiver to your choice of charity.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on February 06, 2014, 08:29:12 am by River Don »

The three individuals, featured on Horizon, conducting research in this area are:

Prof Luigi Fontana, Washington Uni
Prof Valter Longo, South California Uni
Dr Mark Mattsen, Baltimore Uni
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:45:25 am by River Don »

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 06, 2014, 08:37:12 am by Jenny »

By eating too much cake.

All joking aside I am generally interested at how they decide that x% of a town is obese. Surely there is no way to know for certain unless you plonked a set of scales and made everyone get on them..

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on February 06, 2014, 08:56:36 am by River Don »

By eating too much cake.

All joking aside I am generally interested at how they decide that x% of a town is obese. Surely there is no way to know for certain unless you plonked a set of scales and made everyone get on them..

It seems to be from a survey of Local Health Authorities but just scanning through documents published by Public Health England, it's not immediately obvious where they are getting the data from.

There are documents like this.

http://www.phoutcomes.info/documents/PHOF_Data_Tool_User_Survey.pdf

There are email addresses on those pages, if you're keen enough to find out exactly how they get the data.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on February 06, 2014, 11:03:30 am by IC1967 »
I've been doing a bit of research of my own which backs up the findings. I've been 'scanning' people as I go about my daily business and the evidence is conclusive. 75% of the people I've looked at are  fat bas**rds.

I've taken my research a bit further. The shocking fact is that over 80% of the people I've scanned who are not Eastern European are fat bas**rds. It seems that not only are immigrants benefiting our economy by doing the jobs that the scroungers won't do, they are also getting our obesity figures lower on average than they otherwise would be. 

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on February 06, 2014, 11:19:17 am by Dagenham Rover »
Real technical research that one

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on February 06, 2014, 11:22:11 am by IC1967 »
Thank you. I try my best. It's nice to know it's appreciated.

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 06, 2014, 11:25:20 am by BigColSutherland »
Adult obesity figures are very difficult to arrive at and not particualrly robust.

Anything to do with Body Mass Index is also extremely unsound. An Olympic athlete would find themselves classified as obese in many cases, due solely to their weight.

Figures for children are for more robust as they are measured at Reception year and at Year 6 I believe.

Regardless of which local authority comes top, the problem of obesity cannot be underestimated in this country. It is one of the largest causes of diabetes, which is the single largest expense faced by the NHS.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 06, 2014, 11:41:22 am by IC1967 »
The government has to take a lot of the blame for the obesity epidemic. They allow the food manufacturers to put as much fat, sugar and salt and other ingredients into food as they please. They also allow them to bamboozle the population with misleading product claims. The government then has to spend more of the taxpayers money every year on the NHS to deal with the consequences. This is a false economy.

Get strict with the food manufacturers (and all the fast food outlets) and watch spending on the NHS fall.

Unfortunately this is unlikely to happen anytime soon so you need to do what I do. You need to develop an iron will power. It is very difficult being slim in our society. I have banned certain items from the home as I believe if it is not there you will be far more likely to eat less. Here is a list of some of the banned substances:

Meat
Fish
Booze of any kind
Crisps or similar
Sugar
Biscuits or similar
Chocolate items
Fizzy pop
Sugary breakfast cereals (this includes nearly all of them)

I could go on but by now I am sure you are getting my drift. I suggest most households have vast quantities of the above in the house most of the time. You only need to look at what people put in their shopping trollies when you are in the supermarket for the full horror of what is in our homes to be exposed.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:43:44 am by IC1967 »

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 06, 2014, 11:45:42 am by Jenny »
No meat, no fish?! I would go insane!

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 06, 2014, 12:13:20 pm by BigColSutherland »
Unfortunately the issues around obesity are very complex.

For a start, deprivation plays a huge part in the problem. Whilst fast food is unhealthy, it's also cheap. Areas with higher levels of deprivation will tend to have a glut of takeaways, churning out cheap meals packed full of fat. A lot of people simply cannot afford to eat meals that provide them with their basic nutrional needs but are also healthy.

Another issue relates to culture and immigration. Take the Turkish for example. In Turkey, a big child is viewed as a good thing. The size of a child is seen as an indicator of a famiy's wealth. The fatter they are the more it demonstrates how much money you have to spend. The idea that a fat child is a bad thing, because fat children invariably become fat adults and then develop a number of long term conditions, is not widely accepted. With immigration of people comes the immigration of cultures. And unfortunately, changing cultures is not easily done.

N.B. Banning meat and fish is not an appropriate response. Fish is the main component of the Japanese diet. Japan has one of the lowest rates of obesity in the world.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on February 06, 2014, 12:15:53 pm by IC1967 »
Ask yourself the question. How many fat vegetarians have you ever seen? Not many.

If you look at the league tables of fatness you will see Brighton near the very bottom of the table. Brighton is the vegetarian capital of the country. I rest my case.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 06, 2014, 12:18:45 pm by IC1967 »
There is also the side issue that animals and fish suffer unimaginable cruelty just so we can eat just what we want.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 06, 2014, 12:21:22 pm by Iberian Red »
No meat, no fish?! I would go insane!

Dietary intake?

Or are you Denis Law,and I can claim my five pounds?
 :P

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 06, 2014, 12:47:34 pm by Jenny »
There is also the side issue that animals and fish suffer unimaginable cruelty just so we can eat just what we want.
Do you own any leather products at all?

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on February 06, 2014, 12:52:17 pm by IC1967 »
A lot of people simply cannot afford to eat meals that provide them with their basic nutrional needs but are also healthy.

I would totally disagree with that statement. It is perfectly possible to eat a much healthier diet for less than what a so called cheap fast food high fat diet costs.

The problem is that people can't be bothered to source their food from markets etc. They also can't be bothered to put any effort into cooking.

http://casualkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/its-too-expensive-to-eat-healthy-food.html

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 06, 2014, 12:54:37 pm by IC1967 »

Yes I do unfortunately. In our society it is impossible to live without having to use products that are in some way associated with animal cruelty.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on February 06, 2014, 12:57:10 pm by Jenny »

Yes I do unfortunately. In our society it is impossible to live without having to use products that are in some way associated with animal cruelty.

I disagree, if you are willing to put the effort in you can live a happy life safe in the knowledge that the things you eat/wear etc are not associated with animal cruelty.

A good friend of mine is a very strict vegan and disassociates with anything to do with animal cruelty - as you said above in the post about a healthy diet, it is possible, albeit it with effort.

I also know a few fat vegetarians...

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on February 06, 2014, 01:01:32 pm by BigColSutherland »
A lot of people simply cannot afford to eat meals that provide them with their basic nutrional needs but are also healthy.

I would totally disagree with that statement. It is perfectly possible to eat a much healthier diet for less than what a so called cheap fast food high fat diet costs.

The problem is that people can't be bothered to source their food from markets etc. They also can't be bothered to put any effort into cooking.

http://casualkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/its-too-expensive-to-eat-healthy-food.html
I'm more than happy for you to.disagree. I'm a bit unclear why you're linking to a blog post from over 3 years ago discussing American product prices however.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 06, 2014, 01:31:16 pm by IC1967 »
I disagree, if you are willing to put the effort in you can live a happy life safe in the knowledge that the things you eat/wear etc are not associated with animal cruelty.

A good friend of mine is a very strict vegan and disassociates with anything to do with animal cruelty - as you said above in the post about a healthy diet, it is possible, albeit it with effort.

I also know a few fat vegetarians...

I totally disagree. It is impossible to live in our society and  have nothing to do with anything that has involved animal cruelty. The use of parts of animals is everywhere in our society. For example does your friend ever fly? Would they not bother if they knew that the foam in the fire extinguishers in the airport  has part of an animal hoof in it? Do they check with the airport first?

Do they refuse to get in a car without checking with the manufacturer that they haven't used any animal parts? What about drugs? Do they carry a card around with them saying they don't want any drugs administering if they fall ill and are rushed to hospital? I suspect not. Do they refuse to go into buildings before checking it out that there are no animal parts in it. Of course not.

I admire vegans but even they have to compromise as do I. As for fat vegetarians, yes there are some but on the whole they are much slimmer than the vast majority of the population.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13670184
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:35:40 pm by IC1967 »

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on February 06, 2014, 01:33:57 pm by IC1967 »
I'm more than happy for you to.disagree. I'm a bit unclear why you're linking to a blog post from over 3 years ago discussing American product prices however.

America is the fat capital of the world. If they can eat healthier for less then so can we.

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on February 06, 2014, 01:43:01 pm by BigColSutherland »
America is the fat capital of the world. If they can eat healthier for less then so can we.
Surely the fact that its the fat capital of the world renders the second part of your post redundant?

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on February 06, 2014, 01:44:13 pm by IC1967 »
I'm not saying they do. I'm saying they could.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012