Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:55:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Jordan Houghton only a possible  (Read 11456 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Jordan Houghton only a possible
« on July 31, 2017, 10:38:05 am by phil old leake »
I feel that JH made the team tick last season. When he got injured the team went to the wall
If 4 centre backs isn't enough I'm guessing DF is looking at playing at playing 3 at the back which I personally don't think we have the players for at this time
I'd personally risk not getting another CB and go with JH. Soda law says if we don't sign him someone like the Dingles will sign him and he'll be their player of the season. If he's available we can't afford to miss out on him

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
Re: Jordan Houghton only a possible
« Reply #1 on July 31, 2017, 11:09:38 am by Bessie Red »
I feel that JH made the team tick last season. When he got injured the team went to the wall
If 4 centre backs isn't enough I'm guessing DF is looking at playing at playing 3 at the back which I personally don't think we have the players for at this time
I'd personally risk not getting another CB and go with JH. Soda law says if we don't sign him someone like the Dingles will sign him and he'll be their player of the season. If he's available we can't afford to miss out on him

Absolute madness not signing JH if he is available to us!! As you said he made us tick last season & we missed him badly in the run in. Hopefully the board will see the huge benefit he would bring to to the side & sanction both his signing & the signing of a Centre half.

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 31, 2017, 11:33:08 am by roversam »
In Fergie we trust, judging  by some of the comments on here there's a few that think they could do a better job than him 😴

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 31, 2017, 11:38:42 am by Bessie Red »
In Fergie we trust, judging  by some of the comments on here there's a few that think they could do a better job than him 😴

Nobody has said they could do a better job than him. However it is a no brainer to try & secure the services of JH whether or not we get an additional Centre Half. He knows the players and how we play & as said before we are a much better team with him in it!!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 31, 2017, 11:46:18 am by GazLaz »
He will be wanting to see how Whiteman starts the season before he makes a decision.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 31, 2017, 12:48:09 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Interesting thread this.

If we were to sign all the players people want we'll have a squad of a very big size, that's not the right way to do it.  Quite pointless having a number of players not even making the squad.  That's a big risk if we sign a number more.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 31, 2017, 12:58:30 pm by Jonathan »
It's all a bit mad, at the start of the summer the talk was about securing Houghton on a permanent deal, and now the indication is we'd have to choose between getting him on loan and addressing the very evident weakness in the centre of defence.

I get that money is not limitless, and there's also something to be said for not playing too many negotiating cards in public. But everyone at the club also has a responsibility to manage fans' expectations and, where possible, drum up some enthusiasm. I have to say that some of the noises coming out of the club do not greatly inspire.

I want to sit back and trust that it'll be alright - and to be fair to the owners they have been good with backing the manager and keeping the club running. I just hope that the ambition is genuinely there to make this step back up to League One and not just make up the numbers. If we want to challenge at the top end then I think we're a bit shy of that right now.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 31, 2017, 01:03:38 pm by Alan Southstand »
Unbelievable!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 31, 2017, 01:20:06 pm by steve@dcfd »
He says he has to balance his squad what he means he has to balance the budget.
We need Jordon, Khemis if he signs and another midfield player. Plus we need a centre back.
The club should ensure DF can achieve that. We will then have a squad to be competitive whether players are fit, injured  or suspended.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 31, 2017, 01:23:31 pm by GazLaz »
Our ambition is to be a sustainable club, that means a L1 club. We can't hope for any more unless we start getting 15,000 through the gates.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 31, 2017, 01:29:25 pm by Alan Southstand »
Our ambition is to be a sustainable Championship club, or have those goalposts moved as well?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 31, 2017, 01:34:29 pm by steve@dcfd »
Our ambition is to be a sustainable club, that means a L1 club. We can't hope for any more unless we start getting 15,000 through the gates.

If we don't sign anymore players we will not be staying in league 1 this league is harder than people think. Don't have the squad numbers we will have to throw 1/2 young players in and results could suffer.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 31, 2017, 01:41:06 pm by GazLaz »
Our ambition is to be a sustainable Championship club, or have those goalposts moved as well?

If that is the case I think the word sustainable is more important to the word Championship to those that subsidies the club.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 31, 2017, 02:24:54 pm by steve@dcfd »
Let's go back to before preseason what's changed?

After we signed Mason we set off to get 5 players as a priority CB,LB,2MF, F. (LB Andrews, 1MF Whiteman, F Kiwomya.  Two players missing and JH who was always in the mix as long as he was fit.

We are waiting for the U19 international so if he is coming don't sign Khemis. If not sign him. Loan a centre back if we can find one.

Then the parameters have not changed we have signed 5 players and it was not dependent on anybody leaving said by both DF and CB.

Jordan if fit can be signed on loan initially as planned.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:27:00 pm by steve@dcfd »

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 31, 2017, 02:37:04 pm by Move DRFC »

We were a Championship club for 4 years on the trot without getting anywhere near 15,000 gates so that shouldnt be the reason we can't hope for more than being a sustainable League One club. The board needs to have ambition.

Ambition was a never a doubt when we had JR.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 31, 2017, 02:40:07 pm by Filo »

We were a Championship club for 4 years on the trot without getting anywhere near 15,000 gates so that shouldnt be the reason we can't hope for more than being a sustainable League One club. The board needs to have ambition.

Ambition was a never a doubt when we had JR.

The magic money tree stopped bearing fruit

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 31, 2017, 03:10:26 pm by balbyrover »
If we dont pull out all the stops to get Jordan Houghton then we deserve all we get.  The lad is clearly desperate to sign.  Just look at his Twitter posts....

All Fergie is doing is alerting other clubs to his availability.  Probably another we will miss out on.

Also. We need a CB and thats a issue that should have been addressed weeks ago.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 31, 2017, 03:10:49 pm by albie »
Average gate in Championship is around 15k.

Rovers did not get near that average when in the league. Promotion means higher wage bills for the period in that division, and the following season.

Playing better teams with higher income means more defeats in most seasons. Fans want to see their team winning, so seasons of struggle see gates taper off.

Those who think Rovers are Championship ready are also saying that they would be happy with a lower half season at best.

Reality, I'm afraid.
So is it better to be a L1 challenger, or a Championship struggler?

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 31, 2017, 03:13:16 pm by balbyrover »
Average gate in Championship is around 15k.

Rovers did not get near that average when in the league. Promotion means higher wage bills for the period in that division, and the following season.

Playing better teams with higher income means more defeats in most seasons. Fans want to see their team winning, so seasons of struggle see gates taper off.

Those who think Rovers are Championship ready are also saying that they would be happy with a lower half season at best.

Reality, I'm afraid.
So is it better to be a L1 challenger, or a Championship struggler?

A championship struggler. Higher level of oppisition,better away gates,more money, more attractive to potential signings etc.
I want to see us at the highest level possible.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 31, 2017, 03:15:51 pm by Alan Southstand »
The best league to be in, by a country mile, is the Championship. Whatever our position in it, I would take 4th from bottom now, but I fear we'll never set foot in it again (if this pre-season is anything to go by).

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 31, 2017, 03:23:22 pm by drfchound »
As a player or a fan i would always want to be at the highest level possible.

On an income level, the away end is worth about £1m per season to the club.

Susan Abbott

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 31, 2017, 03:35:38 pm by Susan Abbott »
What division is the £1m figure based on .

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 31, 2017, 04:06:18 pm by NickDRFC »
As a player or a fan i would always want to be at the highest level possible.

On an income level, the away end is worth about £1m per season to the club.

I reckon £1m is a bit of an overestimate - if tickets were increased to say, £28, for 23 games, you'd need over 1,500 extra fans each game to make £1m!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 31, 2017, 04:15:45 pm by the vicar »
TOTAL LACK OF AMBITION  IN MY BOOK

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 31, 2017, 04:20:30 pm by Filo »
TOTAL LACK OF AMBITION  IN MY BOOK

Would that be the Ladybird book of ambition?

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 31, 2017, 04:23:52 pm by Wild Rover »
In order to clear 1 million at £20.00 per head then 2173 fans need to visit each game. That wont happen unless Championship is attained.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:26:09 pm by Wild Rover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 31, 2017, 04:24:06 pm by drfchound »
What division is the £1m figure based on .

Sorry, i forgot to put "in the Championship".
I was basing it on an average of around 2000 per game, and if food and drink were bought it could go higher.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 31, 2017, 04:38:31 pm by eastender »
I see he now has a photo of himself wearing a Rovers shirt as his Twitter Avatar, could this be a sign.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 31, 2017, 05:26:37 pm by Bessie Red »
Jordan Houghton has been the best player to have played for us in quite a while & therfore we should be pulling out all the stops to get him here as soon as possible. On the showings so far Whiteman isnt as good as JH.
I honestly believe we would stay up comfortably if JH is in the side however without him we could be looking at an instant return to Lg 2 he is that important!!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 31, 2017, 05:42:28 pm by MrFrost »
The board have said the goal is to have a sustainable Championship club within 5 years.
I'm failing to see any evidence of this ambition.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012