Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:36:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Jordan Houghton only a possible  (Read 11455 times)

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
Re: Jordan Houghton only a possible
« Reply #60 on August 01, 2017, 11:51:15 am by mrfrostsdad »
Anyone who would sooner see us in League 1 rather than the Championship is living on the wrong planet. On course we want to be at the highest level possible. I would love to see us in the Premier League. Bournemouth has done it on gates of 13000 and that's the benchmark.

The difference in TV money between League 1 and the Championship is getting on for 4 million quid and away support is at least double. I'm sure we averaged around 12,700 in our first season in The Championship. Where are all those fans now?? Back at Leeds/Hull/Barnsley etc etc watching a higher standard of football.

We dropped to League 2 when it should never have happened, thanks to awful management and a board who (allegedly - very allegedly) wouldn't allow Ferguson to bring players in in January when they thought we were safe. That must never happen again. If, as seems probable season ticket sales are up due to giving tickets away (almost) to kids, we must ensure we keep those kids until they become full price paying adults. And we won't do that's scratting around in the bottom divisions

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on August 01, 2017, 11:58:02 am by phil old leake »
I think you'll find that our crowds dropped when we went down and Leeds went up. Donny whites  chasing the championship

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on August 01, 2017, 08:42:47 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Anyone who would sooner see us in League 1 rather than the Championship is living on the wrong planet. On course we want to be at the highest level possible. I would love to see us in the Premier League. Bournemouth has done it on gates of 13000 and that's the benchmark.

The difference in TV money between League 1 and the Championship is getting on for 4 million quid and away support is at least double. I'm sure we averaged around 12,700 in our first season in The Championship. Where are all those fans now?? Back at Leeds/Hull/Barnsley etc etc watching a higher standard of football.

We dropped to League 2 when it should never have happened, thanks to awful management and a board who (allegedly - very allegedly) wouldn't allow Ferguson to bring players in in January when they thought we were safe. That must never happen again. If, as seems probable season ticket sales are up due to giving tickets away (almost) to kids, we must ensure we keep those kids until they become full price paying adults. And we won't do that's scratting around in the bottom divisions

It wasn't Bournemouth's attendances that was the catalyst to their rise to the Premiership was it, or Swansea's, nor Huddersfield's for that matter. There's a combination of different factors, not just finance. All three had damn good mangers who found a way to play, found the personnel to play a certain way that separated them from the rest. Oh,  and hard work on and off the pitch.

As we've seen £s spent doesn't always =points earned but those three arguably, fought above their financial weight to get there. Staying there is another matter. I don't know enough about Bournemouth and their finances other than breaching FFP rules.

Conversely, there are a number of clubs who are perceived to be well below their weight of   attendances. Relatively speaking, Wednesdays, Leeds, Blades have suffered more than we have.

There's no one simple solution otherwise if it were on finances alone, the pyramid might look a bit different.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on August 02, 2017, 12:19:47 pm by mrfrostsdad »

It wasn't Bournemouth's attendances that was the catalyst to their rise to the Premiership was it, or Swansea's, nor Huddersfield's for that matter. There's a combination of different factors, not just finance. All three had damn good mangers who found a way to play, found the personnel to play a certain way that separated them from the rest. Oh,  and hard work on and off the pitch.

As we've seen £s spent doesn't always =points earned but those three arguably, fought above their financial weight to get there. Staying there is another matter. I don't know enough about Bournemouth and their finances other than breaching FFP rules.

Conversely, there are a number of clubs who are perceived to be well below their weight of   attendances. Relatively speaking, Wednesdays, Leeds, Blades have suffered more than we have.

There's no one simple solution otherwise if it were on finances alone, the pyramid might look a bit different.

I totally agree Barry: it's not all about money. But you don't get anywhere without spending SOME money.

Good management, yes you're bang on there. Don't think we've had a really good manager since SOD (Ferguson has shown several times he doesn't have a clue when the chips are down) and even if you have money you need to bring in the right players.
You mentioned Huddersfield. Even they have spent £35m this summer and that's up to now. Probably be £50m when all is done. Middlesbrough has just signed Asombalonga from Forest for £15m. That's what it costs to sign (only) a reasonable striker! Do you ever see us spending money like that?? Personally, I don't. We paid a million or so for Sharp who was as good a Championship striker as you could ever wish to have. I fear that was a one off. I certainly don't see it happening again any time soon.

Eventually ridiculous transfer fees and wages will filter down to League 1. It already has if you can believe what Peterborough are alleged to be paying Steven Taylor.

Bournemouth?? Who knows how they do it? Best English manager in the Premier League and crowds of 13,000. Yes they breach FFP rules, but do they care?? I doubt it very much when one season in the Prem is worth about £120m with parachute payments of around £40m

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 02, 2017, 12:34:24 pm by NickDRFC »
What are Peterborough said to be paying Steven Taylor?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on August 02, 2017, 12:42:40 pm by DearneValleyRover »
mfd ask yourself how long this spending bubble will last? How long before people stop paying for tv football? It will happen and what the of over inflated prices? When the bubble bursts only those who didn't over extend will come out unscathed

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 02, 2017, 12:45:16 pm by MrFrost »

Popular theory on their message boards is that it is in excess of 7k per week.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on August 02, 2017, 12:50:10 pm by DearneValleyRover »

And some thought we were poor for not competing, absolute ridiculous wages even if he wasn't such a gamble

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on August 02, 2017, 12:58:46 pm by silent majority »

For LG1? That's absolutely ridiculous, especially when the average is below £2k per week.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 02, 2017, 01:09:35 pm by GazLaz »

For LG1? That's absolutely ridiculous, especially when the average is below £2k per week.

Sounds too much but he was on 40k a week a couple of years ago so he would take some motivating to get out of bed for 2k.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 02, 2017, 01:10:56 pm by GazLaz »
Andy Williams is on 3.5k I think and we wanted to offload him because he's a big earner.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 02, 2017, 01:24:29 pm by RoversAlias »
For 7k a week at this level you'd want someone at a prime age with no injury history, the total opposite of what Steven Taylor is. That is ridiculous.

Much rather have a sustainable club to follow that lives within its mean than support one of these clubs that chuck massive amounts at it for a possible shot at the big time (or in this case the Championship). It just isn't worth it when it all goes wrong.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 02, 2017, 02:11:26 pm by balbyrover »
Andy Williams is on 3.5k I think and we wanted to offload him because he's a big earner.

Williams earns more than that now were back in league one.
A lot more.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on August 02, 2017, 02:30:29 pm by glosterred »

Williams earns more than that now were back in league one.
A lot more.

How do you know?

COYR

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on August 02, 2017, 03:05:54 pm by roversdude »
My theory is Balbyrover and AW are the same person
Clues are there both recently had sprogs has anyone seen them in same room together lol

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 02, 2017, 03:27:19 pm by balbyrover »
My theory is Balbyrover and AW are the same person
Clues are there both recently had sprogs has anyone seen them in same room together lol

Haha definetly not the same person. I do rate him a lot though and think when confident he will bang them in for us.
His injury came at a bad time for him last season.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on August 02, 2017, 03:39:25 pm by Bessie Red »

Got signed on at 4k a week however my be different now dependant on clauses in his contract.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on August 02, 2017, 04:38:12 pm by graingrover »
This explains a lot !

Jordan Houghton‏Verified account @HOUGHTON_J Jul 28

Jordan Houghton Retweeted Popside View #DRFC

Been training non contact for the last week- full training next week all being well🙏🏼😁

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on August 02, 2017, 05:11:38 pm by roversdude »
Great news if
It is from JH twitter
He is signing for us

Still a bit behind with pre season though

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on August 02, 2017, 05:15:20 pm by eastender »
Rovers have today finalised two deals - a permanent with Issam Ben Khemis, and a loan. Will be announced tomorrow #drfc

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on August 02, 2017, 05:17:23 pm by roversdude »
By the way I agree with that Balby
I've a feeling if he bangs a couple in early doors he may do better than Marquis this season

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on August 02, 2017, 06:28:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm sure we all hope JH regains his fitness and puts himself in a position to play. Beyond that, I'd love to see him play for us again but, not sure whether this new young loanee is the same sort of player.

We know that position is a key position and whether DF has been forced into a difficult decision to fill the void left by JH and LMc, time will tell. It will be a great pity if we have to wait till January to see whether JH is still available.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on August 02, 2017, 11:40:20 pm by mrfrostsdad »
mfd ask yourself how long this spending bubble will last? How long before people stop paying for tv football? It will happen and what the of over inflated prices? When the bubble bursts only those who didn't over extend will come out unscathed

I don't see it happening any time soon.
I do believe there are more households now with Sky Sports than without it. Peoples thirst for live football, especially at Premier League level, and a lesser extent the Chamionship, seems to be on the rise

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on August 02, 2017, 11:49:58 pm by steve@dcfd »
I'm sure we all hope JH regains his fitness and puts himself in a position to play. Beyond that, I'd love to see him play for us again but, not sure whether this new young loanee is the same sort of player.

We know that position is a key position and whether DF has been forced into a difficult decision to fill the void left by JH and LMc, time will tell. It will be a great pity if we have to wait till January to see whether JH is still available.

Let's look at the midfield as it is,
Defensive midfield players Mason and Whiteman.
Right side diamond Whiteman, at a push Blair
Left side diamond Rowe(waste) Khemis?
Head of Diamond Coppinger, Rowe

Therefore we need more
Houghton definite he can play three out of the four positions when fit.
Loan player? Can play various postions.
McCullough is a ?? Defensive midfield player or?? Defender.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on August 02, 2017, 11:58:53 pm by silent majority »

I do believe there are more households now with Sky Sports than without it. Peoples thirst for live football, especially at Premier League level, and a lesser extent the Chamionship, seems to be on the rise

Subscribers to Sky Sports dropped by about 15% last season. So it is happening.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on August 03, 2017, 12:22:27 am by DearneValleyRover »
The board have said the goal is to have a sustainable Championship club within 5 years.
I'm failing to see any evidence of this ambition.
Your failing to see it because it doesn't fit your agenda. When did the signing of Jordan Houghton determine the future of Doncaster Rovers? I'd love him back but the world won't stop spinning if he doesn't

KiwiRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on August 03, 2017, 02:59:44 am by KiwiRover »

I've no source for this, but I'm sure I read the other day that almost a third of football matches watched are now streamed "illegally" through Kodi and the like.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on August 03, 2017, 07:32:59 am by GazLaz »

How many went to BT though?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on August 03, 2017, 08:33:33 am by MrFrost »

I've no source for this, but I'm sure I read the other day that almost a third of football matches watched are now streamed "illegally" through Kodi and the like.

The days of streaming live sporting events are numbered. The likely hood of finding a decent quality stream is becoming more and more difficult.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on August 03, 2017, 08:41:02 am by idler »
I have Kodi but rarely watch live football on it.
Overpriced and overhyped players cheating and fouling.
I remember last year when we signed Jordan that some people were moaning that he was a player that had done nothing on loan at Plymouth.
What a difference a year makes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012