Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 12:12:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Baldwin and Dickov  (Read 9393 times)

les@donr

• Forum Member
Baldwin and Dickov
« on October 21, 2014, 11:09:18 pm by les@donr »
We were promised at the start of the season by Baldwin that we would be challenging for promotion under Dickov, what has happened to that promise? If Dickov goes, shouldn't Baldwin go with him?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: Baldwin and Dickov
« Reply #1 on October 21, 2014, 11:41:55 pm by BobG »
No.

BobG

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 21, 2014, 11:44:41 pm by coventryrover »
er no

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 21, 2014, 11:44:58 pm by dickos1 »
No, it ain't his fault they don't want to spend

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 21, 2014, 11:45:35 pm by bobjimwilly »
We were promised at the start of the season by Baldwin that we would be challenging for promotion under Dickov, what has happened to that promise? If Dickov goes, shouldn't Baldwin go with him?

We were promised we would be challenging for promotion? Really?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 21, 2014, 11:47:03 pm by bobjimwilly »

From his recent interviews and what he said at the Retford AGM recently, Dickov has the funds to pay for loan players I believe, and he's never said to contrary either.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 21, 2014, 11:47:49 pm by BobG »
Quite an breathtaking promise that!

BobG

sheriff2971

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 21, 2014, 11:48:52 pm by sheriff2971 »

From his recent interviews and what he said at the Retford AGM recently, Dickov has the funds to pay for loan players I believe, and he's never said to contrary either.

Radio Sheffield eluded to something interesting after the game, that yes Dickov has a budget for loan players, but it may not be a big enough budget to bring in the quality he wants - ie more of the Evina/Wabarra type quality.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 21, 2014, 11:50:22 pm by dickos1 »
Cough said on radio that another club have approached them to loan butler. Be nice if that were us

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 21, 2014, 11:51:57 pm by Lipsy »
Words from the man: http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-the-future-1527847.aspx

But, as we know, a lot happened after that.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 22, 2014, 01:01:02 am by Lifelong supporter »

Do you feel the club in a position to repeat the success of 2012/13?

Absolutely, we’re in a far better position both on and off the field than we were two years ago when we were last relegated.  Commercially we have sold more season tickets than this time last year and the year before that, our club sponsors and stadium stand sponsors are already signed up for next season and the stadium is operating at a profit, which will be invested back into the first team budget.

Read more at http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-the-future-1527847.aspx#FLglX3QlZaXtJZj8.99

So has anyone any idea how much has been invested back into the first team budget?

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 22, 2014, 07:50:36 am by RJHeader »

Absolutely, we’re in a far better position both on and off the field than we were two years ago when we were last relegated.  Commercially we have sold more season tickets than this time last year and the year before that, our club sponsors and stadium stand sponsors are already signed up for next season and the stadium is operating at a profit, which will be invested back into the first team budget.

Read more at http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-the-future-1527847.aspx#FLglX3QlZaXtJZj8.99

So has anyone any idea how much has been invested back into the first team budget?

The silcence from boardroom level at a time you need someone to be coming out to reassure the fans really is poor IMO. Surely someone comes out and gives some sort of hope to the fans, either by saying funds are available or whatever.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 22, 2014, 02:55:42 pm by les@donr »
Here is Gavin Baldwin's statement in  full. "Club Statement - The Future". May 4th 2014.

Following relegation to League 1 yesterday, Doncaster Rovers Official Website spoke with Chief Executive, Gavin Baldwin, about what this means for the club.

Firstly Gavin, what are your thoughts on the season?
Well we’re obviously disappointed not to have extended our stay in the Championship to a second season, which was one of our key objectives.  Whilst as a club we will take opportunity to reflect on the season that has passed, we will also move on quickly and ensure we’re able to return back to the Championship at the first attempt.

So is that already the aim for next season then?
Yes, we want to be back in Championship as soon as possible, during the past few seasons we’ve spent all bar one of them in the second tier and the objectives for next season are to bounce back, like we did during 2012/13.

So will Paul have the opportunity to rebuild the team?
Again, we’re in a far stronger position than the season we were relegated in 2012/13 and we’re not in a position where we need to completely rebuild the team.  We have 13 contracted players for next season, including 7 which were part of the squad that won promotion to the Championship.  Add to that players such as Mark Duffy, Richie Wellens, Theo Robinson and Harry Forrester, who are all under contract and we’ve already got the makings of a strong League 1 squad.  Despite relegation the owners still feel Paul Dickov is the right man for Doncaster Rovers and while this season hasn’t achieved our objectives, the owners are confident he can return us to the Championship at the first attempt.  Dean Saunders was given that opportunity after we were relegated in 2013 and did well. The owners feel it is right that Paul Dickov is also granted the same opportunity; under Paul we have played some attractive attacking football this season and our games against Wigan and the away victory and 28 pass goal against Leeds United are not forgotten easily.
Doncaster Rovers are a club who have always triumphed through adversity and I’m sure we will continue to do so.

Read more at http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-the-future-1527847.aspx#i8j5u2hJM2vYXTFc.99

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 22, 2014, 02:57:41 pm by DonnyNoel »
In fairness, and I don't mean this as defence or criticism of all that, that statement was made before the magical release clauses kicked in.

With Quinn, Husband, Brown, Duffy and Cotteril still on the books at the time you'd have cause for being optimistic.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 22, 2014, 02:59:55 pm by Filo »
In fairness, and I don't mean this as defence or criticism of all that, that statement was made before the magical release clauses kicked in.

With Quinn, Husband, Brown, Duffy and Cotteril still on the books at the time you'd have cause for being optimistic.

Also in fairness, it was before our close season disruption

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 22, 2014, 03:26:49 pm by RJHeader »

They can't have been that magical. CEO of any club should realise what contracts his best players have got.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 22, 2014, 05:24:22 pm by les@donr »
Baldwin still made the claim that Rovers would be challenging for a return to the Championship and Dickov was the right man for the job. Given our current position the club will not be challenging  for promotion rather trying to avoid relegation. I still believe that Baldwin should follow Dickov out of the door, as he gave Dickov his public backing, so should now be leaving as he made a significant misjudgment.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 22, 2014, 05:37:26 pm by silent majority »
Sorry Les, but GB is a very good CEO. If you wish to remove him for what somebody else has or hasn't managed to achieve then I can't support that. We could always get Diamond Dave back!

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 22, 2014, 05:39:00 pm by RJHeader »
Sorry Les, but GB is a very good CEO. If you wish to remove him for what somebody else has or hasn't managed to achieve then I can't support that. We could always get Diamond Dave back!

Why is the club completely silent then? Not good leadership from the top at all IMO

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 22, 2014, 06:23:30 pm by bobbymax »

Why is the club completely silent then? Not good leadership from the top at all IMO
They could say they are backing the manager or that he's going to be sacked in the morning. But either way they'd get flak for blabbing to the media. What a pity that recent departees have left the club!

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 23, 2014, 02:29:26 am by les@donr »

SM, I understand where you are coming from. However, GB backed Dickov to have us push for promotion, however, we are in a relegation battle. How can GB be doing a very good job as CEO if the club is in the mess its currently in? In any other company where a CEO forecasts profit but delivers a loss, then the CEO has either to walk or be pushed. What difference is that to what GB predicted on May 4th, and has since delivered?

In hindsight it might have been better for the  Board and  the CEO to consider their options longer as to who should be the manager for the new season, rather than backing Dickov within 24 hours of relegation.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 23, 2014, 09:44:27 am by silent majority »
Les,

A lot of water has gone under that bridge since the 4th May. Supporters have been willing to give the manager the benefit of the doubt by realising that some things have been beyond his control, doesn't the same apply to the CEO? His ability to change things on the pitch will be very limited, but knowing him as I do I think he'll be working his socks off to make sure that these things are turned around. Furthermore shouldn't we be judging him at the end of the season?

As for the performances off the pitch the club has never been in better hands. The staff performances in all Rovers departments gets better and better. Some people won't realise how well we perform in these other areas, areas that are vital for a club to perform well. I was chatting with the ex CEO of Barnsley and Scunthorpe yesterday and he drew the parallels for me with regard to some of these issues. Commercial performance for example. If you take a look at how we outperform virtually all clubs within this league and the one above on that one operation alone. The ability of the club to listen and make changes for the benefit of supporters is pretty much unique in this game. The problem we have at our club is that everybody's prepared to see the worst in the club rather than acknowledge the best, people assume, because its us, that it must be crap.

I think you should have faith in the club to do the right things when necessary. And believe me I'll be the first to challenge them if they don't, but under GB's leadership I think we'll be fine at the end of the day. Lets not decide that people should leave the club based on some kind of criteria or parallels that don't apply here.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 23, 2014, 12:47:48 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Les,

A lot of water has gone under that bridge since the 4th May. Supporters have been willing to give the manager the benefit of the doubt by realising that some things have been beyond his control, doesn't the same apply to the CEO? His ability to change things on the pitch will be very limited, but knowing him as I do I think he'll be working his socks off to make sure that these things are turned around. Furthermore shouldn't we be judging him at the end of the season?

As for the performances off the pitch the club has never been in better hands. The staff performances in all Rovers departments gets better and better. Some people won't realise how well we perform in these other areas, areas that are vital for a club to perform well. I was chatting with the ex CEO of Barnsley and Scunthorpe yesterday and he drew the parallels for me with regard to some of these issues. Commercial performance for example. If you take a look at how we outperform virtually all clubs within this league and the one above on that one operation alone. The ability of the club to listen and make changes for the benefit of supporters is pretty much unique in this game. The problem we have at our club is that everybody's prepared to see the worst in the club rather than acknowledge the best, people assume, because its us, that it must be crap.

I think you should have faith in the club to do the right things when necessary. And believe me I'll be the first to challenge them if they don't, but under GB's leadership I think we'll be fine at the end of the day. Lets not decide that people should leave the club based on some kind of criteria or parallels that don't apply here.

Do you have any facts and figures to back this up?

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 23, 2014, 01:34:12 pm by Sad-Rovers »
Does he ever?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 23, 2014, 01:42:57 pm by silent majority »

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 23, 2014, 01:51:57 pm by Sad-Rovers »
I forget that seeing the obvious isn't one of your strengths.

Do you ever have any facts and figures, preferably ones that are publicly verifiable, to back up your claims?

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 23, 2014, 05:48:26 pm by Rovers Return »

Do you ever have any facts and figures, preferably ones that are publicly verifiable, to back up your claims?

Don't often comment but read a lot on here and I've come to the conclusion that you are one ignorant and rude, ignorant human being .

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 23, 2014, 05:56:22 pm by DRFCSouth »
Surely this is a non starter. I can't see how there is a link between Baldwin and Dickov in terms of what's happening on the pitch. In fairness to Baldwin he should be judged on what he does as a CEO, not on performances and league position. That is Dickovs and the players domain.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 23, 2014, 06:23:21 pm by Sad-Rovers »

Don't often comment but read a lot on here and I've come to the conclusion that you are one ignorant and rude, ignorant human being .

I'm ignorant to Martin's sources. We all are.

madbadrob

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 23, 2014, 06:33:11 pm by madbadrob »
I cant stand Martin but in his post he does make his sources well known.  One is Gavin Baldwin and the other the ex CEO of Barnsley and Scunny. 

Now the fact they are ex says a lot and Gavin is not going to tell you anything he doesnt want the world to know and he sure as hell aint gonna say Oh hell I have screwed up.  MOH managed to alienate John Ryan and he darent come out against GB because then he will have lost what he wants.  Power!!!!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012