Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:18:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Praise for Paul Dickov  (Read 4584 times)

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
Praise for Paul Dickov
« on October 08, 2014, 09:37:23 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Not just for the 2 decent performances after the shambles at Walsall but for his attitude to the JPT competition.

Many teams disregard it but he seems to genuinely want to go and win this competition, get a trophy and take the fans to Wembley.

I for one am on board with that

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DRNaith

• VSC Member
Re: Praise for Paul Dickov
« Reply #1 on October 08, 2014, 10:26:32 am by DRNaith »
Again, I really don't think I'm in a miserable mood today, I just don't agree with this.

With our thin squad, particularly in terms of skill, playing more games brings about a greater risk of these players becoming injured, which leaves us with poor replacements, we don't seem to have much of a competition for places.

Also, I would rather our attention and ability was thrown at the league, even if it yields an additional 3 points in the league rather than a run in the jpt, I'd take that.

I just feel that the additional games are unnecessary.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 08, 2014, 10:47:10 am by DearneValleyRover »
I have no problem with the JPT but I'm not going to get carried away with the last 2 results. Until we strengthen at the back we will remain inconsistant.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 08, 2014, 11:03:37 am by IDM »
No, I think the additional burden of one game a month and a real chance of a trophy is spot on.  Not too much extra work for the players and a no-pressure fixture for any team tinkering, run outs for injury recovery etc.  A chance to win a game for a confidence boost and extra match fitness.

I agree with DVR, the back could do with strengthening.  On form though, our midfield and attack is dangerous enough for any opponent in the 3rd or 4th division.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 08, 2014, 11:09:58 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
I think we all agree that the back 4 could do with some re-enforcement but IF we are going to remain a little inconsistent and end up finishing between 10th and 15th in the league, why not go out and try and win something?

Its a competition we actually have a chance of winning.  Probably have more chance of winning that than getting out of League One this season!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 08, 2014, 11:14:23 am by dickos1 »
We don't have a game now for 11 days, successful sides play strong sides in all competitions, man city for example played the majority of their big hitters against Wednesday in the league cup.
Winning breeds confidence is much rather see us playing a strong side in every game than a weak side and seeing us get turned over which we've done in the past

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 08, 2014, 11:27:59 am by DRNaith »
...but Man City could field 4 strong side, simultaneously.

My concern is for squad depth and also the back log due to international games.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 08, 2014, 11:40:40 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »

Naith

You're basically saying that you'd sacrifice watching your team in a cup final at Wembley Stadium for the sake of a couple of injuries??

We won't go up and we won't go down this season whatever the injury situation is.

We should be aiming to win the JPT

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 08, 2014, 11:46:51 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
Latter stages of the JPT would add funds to the club which means we can strengthen, plus would be a nice boost for the fans who have put up with a lot of negativity on and off the pitch over the past few years (aside from 18 seconds at Brentford).

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 08, 2014, 11:56:54 am by bpoolrover »
Got to agree we should try and win the jpt,without a game for 11 days I can't see a problem,there is every chance as without a game in so long we would have played a behind closed door match anyway so just as likely to get injured in that,were a small club and if a decent cup run enables us to sign a extra player this year or next I'm all for that

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 08, 2014, 11:57:34 am by DRNaith »

Naith

You're basically saying that you'd sacrifice watching your team in a cup final at Wembley Stadium for the sake of a couple of injuries??

We won't go up and we won't go down this season whatever the injury situation is.

To tweak your summary, I'm saying I'd rather have a few extra points that genuinely could save us from relegation OR push us into the playoffs rather than play in a competition that others teams can't take seriously if it's such a surprise when Dickov says he does.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 08, 2014, 12:03:52 pm by bpoolrover »
I would agree if we were sure to get extra points but it might well make no difference

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 08, 2014, 12:06:30 pm by GazLaz »

No they can't. They couldn't play a 4th string side and expect to win anything.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 08, 2014, 12:12:48 pm by coventryrover »
Got to try and win it.  Winning breeds confidence, just what the squad needs.

Any extra money is a bonus

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 08, 2014, 12:15:32 pm by wing commander »
   I agree with Dickov on this..The day out at the Millenium was a great day out and I would love another trip to Wembley in a competition we have a good chance in if the draw is kind.We have to field a certain percentage of first teamers anyway..So lets go for it for me...

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 08, 2014, 12:20:23 pm by IDM »

Naith

To tweak your summary, I'm saying I'd rather have a few extra points that genuinely could save us from relegation OR push us into the playoffs rather than play in a competition that others teams can't take seriously if it's such a surprise when Dickov says he does.

I think that is something PD can review as the next round approaches.  If the league points/injuries situations are critical at that time, then a re-prioritisation may be understandable. 

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 08, 2014, 07:51:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I agree with Dickov on this..The day out at the Millenium was a great day out and I would love another trip to Wembley in a competition we have a good chance in if the draw is kind.We have to field a certain percentage of first teamers anyway..So lets go for it for me...

I think we perhaps underestimate how much of a thrill it would be for the players to go to Wembley. I must admit after realising a dream back in 2008, I'm a bit dubious about whether I'd go again for a JPT final. But, if we can get there, then hopefully it's a sign we're doing well on all fronts and we should get our arses down the A1/M1.   

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 08, 2014, 08:13:22 pm by PDX_Rover »
Here's a novel idea. Award bonus league points depending how far you progress in the JPT. For example, the winners could get 10 points added to their league tally, runners up 5, regional final losers 2.

There's an incentive to go for it.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 08, 2014, 08:24:14 pm by godlike1 »
How many fans do you think would go? I think we took about 25k to the millennium stadium with BR having about 30-35k there.

If it was say a league 1 team like Sheff U I could imagine another 20k plus rovers fans.

The club could put trains on like they did last time

If we get there that is

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 08, 2014, 08:29:48 pm by IDM »
20K at the JPT vs Bristol R

25K at the play off final vs Leeds

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 08, 2014, 08:43:43 pm by dknward2 »
We will take a minimum of 80k because we are a massive club...... oops sorry forum

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 09, 2014, 03:32:21 am by PDX_Rover »
And winning the JPT last time spurred us on to better things.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 09, 2014, 07:34:56 am by hoolahoop »

Naith

I think that is something PD can review as the next round approaches.  If the league points/injuries situations are critical at that time, then a re-prioritisation may be understandable. 

And winning the JPT last time spurred us on to better things.

Indeed it did and of course we should go for it . IMO the rewards far outweigh the risks.
Everyone club (finances), players (kudos) and supporters (pride) get something out of any cup run.
Let's go for it injuries permitting of course ;)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 10, 2014, 08:46:39 am by bobjimwilly »
Gavin mentioned last night winning the JPT earned the club £350k. Not to be sniffed at really

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 10, 2014, 10:10:59 am by RJHeader »
Here's a novel idea. Award bonus league points depending how far you progress in the JPT. For example, the winners could get 10 points added to their league tally, runners up 5, regional final losers 2.

There's an incentive to go for it.

Do you actually think thats a good idea?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012