Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:52:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Posh Fan In Peace  (Read 7495 times)

posh fan

Posh Fan In Peace
« on March 31, 2016, 04:15:11 pm by posh fan »
Hi all,

I hope you're well.

Just wanted to touch bases regarding Ferguson.

As you all may know, we were promoted 3 times under DF, playing some of the best football we have ever seen at London Road. We were known across the country for our attacking football and for scoring a shed load of goals.

During his time here, Ferguson went from hero to villain, and by the time he left, even his biggest fans were against him.

There were a number of reasons for his success and failure as our manager.

Firstly, he gained his success with a team that the majority of the lower league feared. He also inherited the best players from previous managers. Craig Mackail Smith, George Boyd and Aaron McLean were all signed before Ferguson arrived. Ryan Bennett also signed permanently while Ferguson was manager of Preston, and Lee Tomlin also signed while Ferguson was at Preston.

So, he was very fortunate to have these players at his disposal. He did make some good signing (Gayle, Assombalonga), however, they cost the best part of £2m between them. As fans, I think we all felt that Ferguson was pretty inept without money, which was proved right when he moved to Preston and failed.

When we got on a run of form, Ferguson was actually a very good manager, however the major concern was whenever we were in port form, he didn't have the technical know how to change things.

He insisted on the same formation (diamond), despite it clearly not working and was far too stubborn to change. Even when it was clear that we were being out played and out though, he persisted with the formation.

Another thing he has never been good at is substitutions. He always seemed to either leave it too late, or make strange substitutions and playing players out of position.

He was also against blaming himself for his failings. If we lost, it was someone else's problem, whether that was the players or the referee. He never, ever pointed the finger at himself.

It is interesting to see that in terms of results, you have seen both ends of the spectrum. Winning 4 or 5 on the bounce and looking unplayable at times, to losing 7 (?) on the bounce and looking in serious danger of going down.

It was obvious that if we had stuck with DF last season we would have been relegated, with arguably one of the best squads in the division.

Is it deja vu at Doncaster, or has he changed his ways and its the players faults?

I hope you survive this season, as as much as it would be satisfying seeing DF get relegated, you're a great little club and have always enjoyed my trips to Donny.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

acacia94

• VSC Member
Re: Posh Fan In Peace
« Reply #1 on March 31, 2016, 05:30:37 pm by acacia94 »
Well' you've pretty much got it all there. Have always felt a bit sorry for Darren as our current squad is pretty average to poor with the odd bit of flair with Coppinger. Unfortunately once we got seriously stuck in our nose dive towards LG2 he's seemed desperate and clueless as to how it can be turned around. After this last weekend he's completely collapsed and now looks doomed. He has tried a few things and does seem quite quick to change things around but none of it has come off. In fact its got worse. I cant see us getting another point never mind the 10+ we need to stay up so we'll be scuffing around back in Div4 very soon. Thanks for the info though it makes depressing reading.

bally1950

« Reply #2 on March 31, 2016, 05:31:06 pm by bally1950 »
Nope, he still same old same old and what you have described is here at Donny. Sadly I think it will be a year or two before you get another run up the A1 to Donny unless it is in a Cup Competition.. Thanks and good luck for rest of season.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 31, 2016, 05:37:12 pm by RedJ »
Pretty much sums it up.

Was a fairly thrilling ride until it crashed in January.

Tom-RTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 31, 2016, 05:56:45 pm by Tom-RTID »
Exactly what's happening here at the minute. Especially persisting with formations and playing players out of position

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 31, 2016, 06:07:50 pm by sheffield exile1 »
The problem was that Dickov left us with such low expectations that anyone who came in and showed any modicum of success was forced to look good if he won a few and looked like he was turning the club's fortunes around. At Christmas/New Year we held Burton away to 3-3 after looking like we would win, and trounced Southend 3-0 away, looking as though top 6 was beckoning. Fast forward Easter. Bottom club Colchester who hadn't won at home since mid October not only beat us but trounced us followed by a narrow 6 poiner loss against Blackpool. We have Swindon's 20 goal striker from last season up front, Nathan Tyson as well, proven in days gone by. Neither are scoring, morale/confidence/passion all non-existent throughout the team, and the defence, don't get me started. All in all Ferguson has done us absolutely NO favours coming here at all.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 31, 2016, 06:10:05 pm by The Red Baron »
I don't think his substitutions have been too bad, but he is very rigid with his formations. He has clearly read another manual as now he is wedded to 3-5-2.

I had a similar conversation before the Peterborough game with a couple of their fans. I expected he would be a bit of a hero at Peterborough, but they soon put me right!

I seem to remember that he was sacked at Preston after a long losing run so the notion that he finds it difficult to find his way out of a tailspin rings true.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 31, 2016, 08:09:55 pm by Lesonthewest »
So what we are saying is the three promotions are down to players he inherited & he takes no credit? Rubbish substitutions & sticking at the 3-5-2, give me a break. Little old Peterborough were punching above their weight same as we were in the Championship, so the downturn was inevitable, the OP needs to get over that instead of coming on here sticking the knife in.

If we can even achieve a couple of promotions, scoring for fun & playing good football, I would take that. Rome wasn't built in a day.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 31, 2016, 08:18:32 pm by turnbull for england »
Seem to remember fans of oldham and possibly bournemouth registering on here with stories that mirrored some opinions on here at the time as well
 Probably just a coincidence like but still..

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 31, 2016, 08:21:40 pm by idler »
Rome might not have been built in a day but it was built on a sound foundation (Don't mention the sinkholes). ☹

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 31, 2016, 10:59:15 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Hi all,

I hope you're well.

Just wanted to touch bases regarding Ferguson.

As you all may know, we were promoted 3 times under DF, playing some of the best football we have ever seen at London Road. We were known across the country for our attacking football and for scoring a shed load of goals.

During his time here, Ferguson went from hero to villain, and by the time he left, even his biggest fans were against him.

There were a number of reasons for his success and failure as our manager.

Firstly, he gained his success with a team that the majority of the lower league feared. He also inherited the best players from previous managers. Craig Mackail Smith, George Boyd and Aaron McLean were all signed before Ferguson arrived. Ryan Bennett also signed permanently while Ferguson was manager of Preston, and Lee Tomlin also signed while Ferguson was at Preston.

So, he was very fortunate to have these players at his disposal. He did make some good signing (Gayle, Assombalonga), however, they cost the best part of £2m between them. As fans, I think we all felt that Ferguson was pretty inept without money, which was proved right when he moved to Preston and failed.

When we got on a run of form, Ferguson was actually a very good manager, however the major concern was whenever we were in port form, he didn't have the technical know how to change things.

He insisted on the same formation (diamond), despite it clearly not working and was far too stubborn to change. Even when it was clear that we were being out played and out though, he persisted with the formation.

Another thing he has never been good at is substitutions. He always seemed to either leave it too late, or make strange substitutions and playing players out of position.

He was also against blaming himself for his failings. If we lost, it was someone else's problem, whether that was the players or the referee. He never, ever pointed the finger at himself.

It is interesting to see that in terms of results, you have seen both ends of the spectrum. Winning 4 or 5 on the bounce and looking unplayable at times, to losing 7 (?) on the bounce and looking in serious danger of going down.

It was obvious that if we had stuck with DF last season we would have been relegated, with arguably one of the best squads in the division.

Is it deja vu at Doncaster, or has he changed his ways and its the players faults?

I hope you survive this season, as as much as it would be satisfying seeing DF get relegated, you're a great little club and have always enjoyed my trips to Donny.

You forgot to mention he doesn't know how to build a good defence, thank god he wasn't building castles in the middle ages, we would have been f..ked.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 01, 2016, 12:05:57 am by Lesonthewest »
In little old Peterborough's back to back promotion seasons I believe they conceded 43 & 54 respectively in total, not that bad considering they were top scorers in the first promotion including a 7 & an 8, think they also went 5 or so without conceding a goal.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 01, 2016, 12:10:45 am by Lesonthewest »
On a side I think only conceding 11 more goals the following season in a higher division is pretty good.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 01, 2016, 08:45:57 am by acko »
The trouble with management especially in lower leagues,its either success or failure and nothing in between.decent jobs have been done getting teams promoted and the managers stand proud,but the next division is harder and any modum of failure the manager gets the blame and is sacked,ie cotterill last season outstanding job getting Bristol promoted but sacked when they found it harder,even the now manager or Rangers who did a great job at Brentford lost is job.I don't know if DF is the right man for Rovers or not but sooner or later  a long term look at things must be done,the board talk of stability so the manager must be involved in this not just in words like a long term policy.Personnelly I would like a new young manager with maybe an older guiding hand,let him have is own backroom staff and build his own team

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 01, 2016, 09:47:05 am by grayx »
Its very worrying if DF is inept when having no money to spend. Never mind what folk on here say, he WONT be given the kind of money to spend on transfers here that he was given at Peterborough.
£2m on 2 players? WOW.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 01, 2016, 10:08:05 am by hoolahoop »
So what we are saying is the three promotions are down to players he inherited & he takes no credit? Rubbish substitutions & sticking at the 3-5-2, give me a break. Little old Peterborough were punching above their weight same as we were in the Championship, so the downturn was inevitable, the OP needs to get over that instead of coming on here sticking the knife in.

If we can even achieve a couple of promotions, scoring for fun & playing good football, I would take that. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I thought the same when reading that Les . Imo we stick with him give him the Summer to recruit and clear out useless Kitsons and then see what happens. I don't buy this ''they inherited a good team '' crap . Fact is he gave them excitement they hadn't had for years and if it crashes and burns so what. That is far better than watching mid table 2nd Division mediocrity season after season . He has the connections to bring in the right players and I don't mean his dad btw - who is struggling to help out a stale Man U atm behind the sdcenes.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 01, 2016, 04:42:48 pm by Lesonthewest »

I thought the same when reading that Les . Imo we stick with him give him the Summer to recruit and clear out useless Kitsons and then see what happens. I don't buy this ''they inherited a good team '' crap . Fact is he gave them excitement they hadn't had for years and if it crashes and burns so what. That is far better than watching mid table 2nd Division mediocrity season after season . He has the connections to bring in the right players and I don't mean his dad btw - who is struggling to help out a stale Man U atm behind the sdcenes.

I agree Hoola, there are some supporters after his head & you can't argue with those opinions following this horrendous run, Personally though, I just think we need to see the bigger picture & let's see what he can achieve with at least a pre-season behind him, & some of his own permanent signings. He now will know what kind of player he needs to bring in & where to strengthen. If we are struggling 20 games in next season then that would be the time to say thanks but no thanks.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 01, 2016, 04:53:46 pm by Donnywolf »
I thought the OP summed our plight up so well he must have had a Season Ticket at KM !

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 01, 2016, 10:42:01 pm by drfchound »

I agree Hoola, there are some supporters after his head & you can't argue with those opinions following this horrendous run, Personally though, I just think we need to see the bigger picture & let's see what he can achieve with at least a pre-season behind him, & some of his own permanent signings. He now will know what kind of player he needs to bring in & where to strengthen. If we are struggling 20 games in next season then that would be the time to say thanks but no thanks.

Fergie has offered enough of the squad extended or new contracts to suggest that he is happy enough with the majority of the players.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 02, 2016, 12:02:22 am by Sammy Chung was King »
In little old Peterborough's back to back promotion seasons I believe they conceded 43 & 54 respectively in total, not that bad considering they were top scorers in the first promotion including a 7 & an 8, think they also went 5 or so without conceding a goal.

How many did they let in, in their relegation seasons?.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 02, 2016, 01:09:31 am by Lesonthewest »

Fergie has offered enough of the squad extended or new contracts to suggest that he is happy enough with the majority of the players.

Majority of the players drfchound? really? The extended or new contracts only stretch to 4 or 5 do they not, I think the rest, or some, he will be hoping to move on I reckon.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 02, 2016, 10:49:30 am by drfchound »
Les, i think i am right in saying that the following have either been offered or have contract extensions signed, agreed with Fergie:
Lund, Alcock, Coppinger, Middleton, Stewart, Evina, Tyson and possibly Mandeville.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 02, 2016, 11:00:42 am by BillyStubbsTears »
How do we offer Stewart a contract extension when he's not our player then?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 02, 2016, 11:04:32 am by drfchound »
I said i thought they all had, but hasnt he (DF) offered terms to Stewart?
But either way it is still more than 4 or 5.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 02, 2016, 11:34:43 am by RoversAlias »
Nope, not 4/5 but as per your own list it's 6 and possibly 1 more. Stewart is a loanee so forget about him, hardly the entire squad and a grand total of two more players than first asserted, at most.

Lund, Middleton & Mandeville are all young academy graduates too, they should be on longer contracts. We've been crying out for them to do that with our young prospects for ages. I personally think all of the players who have been given extended contracts under Fergie so far deserve them and can be good players for us in L2.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 02, 2016, 01:43:47 pm by Lesonthewest »

OK to balance it out 80 & 75, as I say punching above their weight up there, they actually scored a massive 106 under Ferguson in 2010/11. Just trying to look at some positives of his reign as much as the negatives.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 02, 2016, 01:50:12 pm by Lesonthewest »
Les, i think i am right in saying that the following have either been offered or have contract extensions signed, agreed with Fergie:
Lund, Alcock, Coppinger, Middleton, Stewart, Evina, Tyson and possibly Mandeville.

Fair point, but the thing is we don't know who he has lined up in the summer, so the players he has signed will obviously part of the squad, but I would imagine not all certain starters come August.

MrWoodySir

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 02, 2016, 02:04:05 pm by MrWoodySir »
Yeah he's shite basically.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 02, 2016, 08:04:50 pm by drfchound »

Fair point, but the thing is we don't know who he has lined up in the summer, so the players he has signed will obviously part of the squad, but I would imagine not all certain starters come August.

To be fair also Les, some of them are not regular starters now.
RoversAlias, I think DF has already given Middleton a three year deal.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 03, 2016, 12:06:25 am by Sammy Chung was King »

OK to balance it out 80 & 75, as I say punching above their weight up there, they actually scored a massive 106 under Ferguson in 2010/11. Just trying to look at some positives of his reign as much as the negatives.

I know lesonwest, i have just been in a bad mood for the last fifteen games.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012