Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:57:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Louis Tomlinson ??  (Read 40046 times)

PopStander

• Forum Member
Louis Tomlinson ??
« on April 04, 2016, 10:18:49 am by PopStander »
Did he really design the away top or is it Rovers trying to get publicity??

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Louis Tomlinson ??
« Reply #1 on April 04, 2016, 10:24:03 am by Canadian Rover »
Latest April Fools ever.

PopStander

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 04, 2016, 10:29:32 am by PopStander »
There is no way he got his colouring pencils out and designed a Rovers kit!!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 04, 2016, 10:32:24 am by mushRTID »
Fixed

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 04, 2016, 10:33:13 am by Lipsy »
I saw that earlier and assumed it was some kind of April Fool's joke. Then I saw this... http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/top-of-the-tops-3041239.aspx

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 04, 2016, 10:35:12 am by Copps is Magic »
I thought it was a publicity stunt when I first saw it but reading that article I'm honestly not sure now!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 04, 2016, 10:43:03 am by The Red Baron »
It definitely is a publicity stunt, and quite a clever one IMO.

No. 1. It gets LT back inside the proverbial tent pissing out. He seemed to take umbrage after his mate Dickov got the bullet.

No. 2. It explains the design. Grey and black doesn't look great as a footy strip. But think back to the Man United grey kit. It was chosen because it goes well with jeans, leggings etc.

No. 3. Expect massive orders for those grey jobbies with "Tomlinson 28" pre-printed on the back. Not from Donny fans but from Directioners. The Thais will be rubbing their hands and it is probably what sealed the deal.

If only we could apply this sort of thinking to the football side...

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 04, 2016, 10:45:01 am by Lipsy »
It could only be a publicity stunt IF they'd mentioned it before the vote, though. No-one knew about  it and it, presumably, didn't sway the vote (unless LT mentioned it before). Unless they rigged it (which I mention not because I think that they did, but it is a possibility), it's a case of no harm no foul... Reaction on Twitter is mixed, as you would expect from the keyboard warriors.

As long as it's a happy coincidence and it sells a few extra shirts, it's cool. It's also great to see LT still doing his bit for the club. He ain't my cup of tea, but every little helps.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 04, 2016, 10:47:28 am by Copps is Magic »
The only reason I question whether it was a publicity stunt is because (being involved) I know the club were very careful to comply with proper competition rules (because there was a proper prize).

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 04, 2016, 10:53:04 am by Lipsy »
Which is why, I think, that this has been handled the way it has. Seems to have been done properly and all seems above board. Fair play, etc. To be honest, the way the club's handling it now is reasonably muted - can't argue with that.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 04, 2016, 11:35:18 am by Copps is Magic »
It seems that way Lipsy. To the best of my knowledge this is genuinely LT's design and he did enter the competition. Whether he did that directly or through his granddad (who seems more of the rovers fan) I don't know.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 04, 2016, 11:46:50 am by Lipsy »
Well, a few people think otherwise it appears. Still, I think that the marketing folks at Donny Rovers could have made A LOT more noise about this if they'd wanted to hawk a few more shirts to teenage girls.

Either way, if it does sell a few more shirts because a pop star has been involved then it benefits the club. And that's a good thing, right? Seriously, I think some folks out there need to chill out a bit and look at the bigger picture.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 04, 2016, 12:12:35 pm by bobjimwilly »
must be hard to swallow for all those keyboard warriors that (unknowingly) voted for his kit but also criticise anything to do with Louis Tomlinson  :lol:

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 04, 2016, 12:26:35 pm by Lipsy »
I just think that people forget that the club is a business. A business that is presumably under the threat of losing revenue next season and all that comes with it (maybe a loss of jobs and, certainly, reduced player budget, etc). There's plenty to suggest that the club hasn't acted improperly here, but you would have thought that people would just be pleased that it is looking to milk what it can to generate additional revenue and/or publicity. It might not amount to much, but it all helps.

And besides, I quite like the away shirt...  :chair:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:41:56 pm by Lipsy »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 04, 2016, 12:31:29 pm by Filo »
Only Rovers fans could moan at the marketing dept not doing enough, and then moan when they pull a marketing rabbit out of the hat!

Who gives a shit who designed it?

If all the 1 d'ers buy a shirt we'll be quids in

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 04, 2016, 12:32:43 pm by Copps is Magic »
I'm safe, I voted for the green and white chequered shirt which affectionately became known as the tea towel shirt. I generally think green and white are the best colours for the away.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 04, 2016, 12:50:58 pm by Lipsy »
Honestly, some of the vitriol I have seen elsewhere over this is laughable/embarrassing. You'd think that senior folk from the club had driven 'round to their house and taken a  :turd: on their doorstep.

It's Monday, it's a thing, no-one died and - perhaps more importantly - no-one will remember that LT had involvement in this shirt in about a week's time.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 04, 2016, 12:52:36 pm by Bentley Bullet »
"Awful taste in music"? Is that a fact or just your opinion?

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 04, 2016, 12:55:41 pm by Yorkiered »
What is it with Doncaster people who always seem to want to knock someone from our town who has made a success of his/her life?
Jealousy perhaps?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 04, 2016, 01:07:32 pm by Filo »
What is it with Doncaster people who always seem to want to knock someone from our town who has made a success of his/her life?
Jealousy perhaps?

Honestly, we must have the biggest set of miserable moaning t**ts in football!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 04, 2016, 01:08:44 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Yorkiered, My sentiments exactly, and I've spoke of it on here a few times.

it seems to be an English thing that we don't like winners, and people round here seem to have been hit worse with the condition.

Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards - Much loved because he's crap at what he does.
Steve 'Boring' Davis - Described as boring because he was a constant winner.
Frank Bruno - Much loved when he'd won now't, then ridiculed once he was World Champion.

Locally we have;

John Parr - Local lad, must be shit
Louis Tomlinson - local lad, must be shit

Please by all means contribute........

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 04, 2016, 01:12:10 pm by Mike_F »
I don't particularly care for his music but I don't begrudge him any success or look disparagingly at his fans.

I am however livid that a genuine fan has been denied the chance to win a fantastic prize in aid of this publicity stunt. Every competition I've ever seen has a clause stating that it can't be entered by anyone associated with the company, its employees or their immediate families. Being registered as a player makes him a club employee (last season at least, if not this).

I would have had no objection to a "third" kit being designed by LT or his family. It would actually be a great marketing stunt but the away kit was meant to be a competition for the fans. I'm not saying that the club fixed it (I'll leave that speculation to others) but the moment that the club got wind of any involvement they should've nipped it in the bud and excluded the design from the voting.

It's a massive own goal.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 04, 2016, 01:28:16 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Part of me thinks stunt the rest thinks great idea.  It isn't the worst thing in the world.

Rubbish shirt though which I didn't vote for.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 04, 2016, 01:44:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Thomas Crapper: shite.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 04, 2016, 01:53:28 pm by Yorkiered »
Part of me thinks stunt the rest thinks great idea.  It isn't the worst thing in the world.

Rubbish shirt though which I didn't vote for.

Not as rubbish as the new home shirt though. imho of course

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 04, 2016, 01:56:30 pm by IDM »

I am however livid that a genuine fan has been denied the chance to win a fantastic prize in aid of this publicity stunt. Every competition I've ever seen has a clause stating that it can't be entered by anyone associated with the company, its employees or their immediate families. Being registered as a player makes him a club employee (last season at least, if not this).

I would have had no objection to a "third" kit being designed by LT or his family. It would actually be a great marketing stunt but the away kit was meant to be a competition for the fans. I'm not saying that the club fixed it (I'll leave that speculation to others) but the moment that the club got wind of any involvement they should've nipped it in the bud and excluded the design from the voting.

It's a massive own goal.

I can't see it being a publicity stunt as nothing was known about who designed the kits before the voting, and even after, until now.  It was all confidential.

I don't know about the "no employees rule", but I cannot see how genuine fans had been denied the chance to win?  there were 4 other away shirts to vote for, and 5 home ones.  So 9 more fans in the mix (unless anyone got 2 shortlisted).

I should know!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 04, 2016, 02:22:26 pm by GazLaz »
Slagging LT off is just boring. Who gives a f**k really. The real issue here is that grown men actually spent time to design and enter a shirt in this competition. The should all have their hard drives checked immediatly, and reported to Yew Tree.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 04, 2016, 02:26:15 pm by Copps is Magic »
I don't particularly care for his music but I don't begrudge him any success or look disparagingly at his fans.

It's a massive own goal.

I think you've put the case forward quite succinctly there Mike although I actually think they've run the competition within the rules.

One thing I know of that I would add is that I believe the club still hold the opportunity for the prize for the away kit design to be given away in some form.

Maybe this would be a good opportunity for them to use that option wisely.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 04, 2016, 02:29:27 pm by Copps is Magic »
Slagging LT off is just boring. Who gives a f**k really. The real issue here is that grown men actually spent time to design and enter a shirt in this competition. The should all have their hard drives checked immediatly, and reported to Yew Tree.

Do 'grown men' not work in design companies as a day job like?

Sounds like an insecure thing to say.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 04, 2016, 02:52:28 pm by bobjimwilly »
I entered the comp. Great chance for a free trip to Thailand!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012