Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:22:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Should work/school give time off for international games?  (Read 4299 times)

PopStander

• Forum Member
I work in a school and they aren't letting staff or pupils watch the game.

I honestly think it's a joke!... I luckily booked half day months ago!

What do you think?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Re: Should work/school give time off for international games?
« Reply #1 on June 16, 2016, 12:01:12 pm by wing commander »
I compromised with my lads..They normally work 7-3 so for those that wanted too,today only I'm letting them work 6-1pm..Way I think is I still get 7 hours work out of them rather than finding half the staff is off with sickness bugs..lol Sadly I will be manning the office alone with my ipad as business has to come first...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 16, 2016, 12:01:37 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think life is far too serious now, almost to the extent that no one is happy. Look around and see people's miserable expressions. I've just come back off holiday and people looked just as fed up as if they were on their way to work.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 16, 2016, 12:01:48 pm by dknward2 »
If you let the kids out the the parents must be off to look after them dependent on age wouldnt work

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 16, 2016, 12:05:01 pm by swintonrover »
Our head had the attitude of "I don't really want to, but the attendance will drop and it's safer to have the kids on the property", so we've got it on in classrooms. Probably the right move.

PopStander

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 16, 2016, 12:05:59 pm by PopStander »
I think schools should celebrate it and let the pupils watch it in school, then no one has to take time off!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 16, 2016, 12:06:06 pm by NickDRFC »
I think it's disappointing, I don't think there should be an entitlement to watch it but a bit of common sense should be applied. Chances are between 2pm and 4pm pupils (and especially staff!) will be very distracted and constantly checking phones anyway. When I was at school I remember watching England-Tunisia on a big screen in the gym at World Cup 98, and at senior school in 2004 they were playing the England games, although I was on study leave at that point anyway.

I work for a big media company in West London, lots of screens around which the game will be shown on, they are also laying on some pizza and pop in the kitchen with the commentary on. I was planning to "arrange a meeting with a recruiter" and shoot off to the pub for a couple of hours, but as it is I'll now just watch it here and it's a lot more sociable for the company. If I'd been chained to my desk I guarantee I would have done very little work between 2 and 4!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 16, 2016, 12:15:33 pm by Filo »
There'll be one less taxi on the street today 😀😀😀

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 16, 2016, 12:18:51 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Nope. If the head wants to let them watch it at school fair enough. But time off?? I take it said teachers would still be getting paid if the school closed for the afternoon. As if they don't get enough time off already

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 16, 2016, 12:40:33 pm by southwestexile »
Nope. If the head wants to let them watch it at school fair enough. But time off?? I take it said teachers would still be getting paid if the school closed for the afternoon. As if they don't get enough time off already

I was going to suggest that whatever happens in schools there will be someone to hang the teachers for being too lazy or being too serious - and then I saw this. Priceless.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 16, 2016, 12:43:44 pm by Nudga »
I'm working 😢 big job on so in about half an hour I'm on a social media black out.
Got the game recorded so I'm hoping to avoid people at all costs and I'll watch it about six o'clock.

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 16, 2016, 12:44:56 pm by afro goal machine »
World cup 2002 in south korea england had a game or 2 around 9am

Our school had it on in hall or with parents written permission you could stay at home and watch it

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 16, 2016, 12:50:37 pm by IDM »

You have no idea how much out of school time work that teachers do, do you?  My mum was a teacher, deputy head, then head teacher for over 30 years and she was constantly busy until gone 6pm most evenings, then through most of the holidays.

To answer the OP - work places can be flexible - watch the football but make up time elsewhere.  Or take leave if you have to.

I'll probably carry on working but have iplayer running in the background.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:29:06 pm by IDM »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 16, 2016, 01:00:57 pm by RedJ »
I remember the World Cup in 2010, the school in Thorne let the kids out at 2:15 to watch the Slovenia game and then had them make up the lessons they'd missed on the Friday afternoon, when they'd normally have left at 2:15.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
World cup 2002 in south korea england had a game or 2 around 9am

Our school had it on in hall or with parents written permission you could stay at home and watch it

I had a lot of detentions for that. Our school said no so I skived off with a dentist appointment.  It failed.

Working today though in the office. Much quieter though, it was dead driving in to Leeds this morning.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 16, 2016, 01:04:04 pm by The Red Baron »
I'm working 😢 big job on so in about half an hour I'm on a social media black out.
Got the game recorded so I'm hoping to avoid people at all costs and I'll watch it about six o'clock.

Remember the Likely Lads!

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 16, 2016, 01:47:36 pm by 1879Rovers »
My lads school are stopping to watch the game.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 16, 2016, 01:49:59 pm by 5minstogo »
Its only a football match. Life has to go on. Never heard something as daft as employers giving people time off to watch it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 16, 2016, 06:47:56 pm by drfchound »
I took a TV into work so my lads could watch the game ( obviously I wanted to watch it).
We are a Plumbers Merchant and I knew most of our customers were taking time off to watch the game, a couple even came to watch with us.
A good bonding excercize.

donnyspadge

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 16, 2016, 07:27:16 pm by donnyspadge »
My lads school asked them to ware the football shirts for the day and to stay behind so they could watch the full match and so the parents could also not miss it really good i think

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 16, 2016, 07:42:53 pm by idler »
I think life is far too serious now, almost to the extent that no one is happy. Look around and see people's miserable expressions. I've just come back off holiday and people looked just as fed up as if they were on their way to work.
Was that the hotel staff though BB or guests. 😉

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 16, 2016, 07:46:36 pm by idler »
My daughter is a teacher and gets up at 4am some mornings to keep up with the work.
Teaching certainly isn't what it was. A third of the staff at her school are leaving in July, including her.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 16, 2016, 09:10:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
f**k me! It was a second week qualifying match between two shit sides who haven't got a prayer of getting very much further.

It's hardly Neil f**king Armstrong territory is it?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 16, 2016, 09:17:42 pm by Bentley Bullet »
f**k me! It was a second week qualifying match between two shit sides who haven't got a prayer of getting very much further.

It's hardly Neil f**king Armstrong territory is it?

Right, that's me putting a score on England to win!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 16, 2016, 10:00:17 pm by bpoolrover »

You have no idea how much out of school time work that teachers do, do you?  My mum was a teacher, deputy head, then head teacher for over 30 years and she was constantly busy until gone 6pm most evenings, then through most of the holidays.

To answer the OP - work places can be flexible - watch the football but make up time elsewhere.  Or take leave if you have to.

I'll probably carry on working but have iplayer running in the background.
your right about some teachers there are others that do next to nothing but suppose it's like that in every profession

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Teaching is a hugely important job. Hugely. We should respect teachers much more than is currently the case.

However, their hours generally are not especially demanding. I know they don't leave at 3.30pm with the pupils but it is not like they are burning midnight oil until 11pm. Plus they only actually work for 8 months of the year. Let's put it in perspective. They are not bashing steel for 8 hour shifts or driving a bus round the streets all day.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 16, 2016, 10:58:25 pm by IDM »
Teaching is a hugely important job. Hugely. We should respect teachers much more than is currently the case.

However, their hours generally are not especially demanding. I know they don't leave at 3.30pm with the pupils but it is not like they are burning midnight oil until 11pm. Plus they only actually work for 8 months of the year. Let's put it in perspective. They are not bashing steel for 8 hour shifts or driving a bus round the streets all day.

I can't speak for others but that's not true, not in my experience. 

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 17, 2016, 12:07:46 am by JonWallsend »

Would,have contributed sooner to this thread but only just finished marking.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 17, 2016, 07:29:39 am by idler »

My daughter works regularly at home until late at night even into the early hours at times. She researches and plans all lessons added to the time spent marking.
Her sister-in-law came back from London to Skipton on the train the other Sunday evening and there were three teachers marking books as they were travelling back. My daughter also spends time in the school holidays working on projects for the term ahead.
Don't tar all teachers with the same brush, especially those in deprived or inner city areas.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 17, 2016, 07:54:45 am by Jenny »
We were originally told if we wanted to watch it we would have to take the afternoon off, however, they ended up setting up a TV so that people could watch if they chose to do so. Pretty much my whole team watched it and if they still get their work done, I don't care about the hours lost. We are adults afterall.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012