Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:08:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Eaten alive in League 2  (Read 4535 times)

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
Re: Eaten alive in League 2
« Reply #30 on May 19, 2022, 09:22:15 pm by no eyed deer »
Remind me how many additions to the squad we made?

Do you really need me to answer that.

How many were fit and ready for the first team.

How many brought real quality?

Club Doncsater might be a success (as we are told) off the pitch, but on it ??

Rovers, Belles and the Dons ?

Only one club in Doncaster any good and that's Union. One owner who is passionate and in or for the love of the club.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 19, 2022, 09:29:21 pm by ravenrover »
Answering it might be a start

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 19, 2022, 09:33:50 pm by no eyed deer »

OK 8 I think, but could be wrong

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 19, 2022, 09:59:49 pm by no eyed deer »

Would you answer any of mine  ?

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 19, 2022, 10:35:16 pm by Donnyjim »
It’s very sad to say but I think he may be correct. The clubs downward trajectory, both on and off the pitch is there to see. The owners’ and leaders general inertia to club has got me thinking we will be next seasons Scunny. I am so convinced I’m going to have a look at the odds to ease the pain.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 20, 2022, 09:17:35 am by ravenrover »

But we didn't invest in the January Window!!?
1 Fit or not they were invested in
2 A matter of opinion
3 Club Doncaster provides the finance nothing to do with what happens on the pitch
4 what is the question?
5 Good luck to the Knights but I don't support them

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 20, 2022, 11:33:42 am by no eyed deer »

But we didn't invest in the January Window!!?
1 Fit or not they were invested in
2 A matter of opinion
3 Club Doncaster provides the finance nothing to do with what happens on the pitch
4 what is the question?
5 Good luck to the Knights but I don't support them

1. I said significantly
2. How many when we were desperate for players (of the 8)
3. Both are linked
4. Which one is performing on the pitch and be classed a a success
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 11:36:27 am by no eyed deer »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 20, 2022, 11:39:42 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Additions were made in January of the cheapest variety. With only one person putting money in then of course what we can afford will decrease.
The problem is how many potential investors would want to invest with another guy already in situ?.

The ‘Three amigos’ was a situation we will probably never see again.
Terry obviously isn’t going to go down the route of John Ryan. He has done a good job, but he has had to grow into being a supporter of the club.

Until he either gets an investor or someone takes over, things will be as they are.
He supports the club to a decent level but isn’t going to put it at risk by being too dependant on him.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 20, 2022, 11:48:44 am by silent majority »
Additions were made in January of the cheapest variety. With only one person putting money in then of course what we can afford will decrease.
The problem is how many potential investors would want to invest with another guy already in situ?.

Terry obviously isn’t going to go down the route of John Ryan. He has done a good job, but he has had to grow into being a supporter of the club.

Until he either gets an investor or someone takes over, things will be as they are.
He supports the club to a decent level but isn’t going to put it at risk by being too dependant on him.

That's just a nonsense. Terry has single-handedly put more money into this club than any single individual in the time I've been a supporter of this club, and that covers a 60 year period. To suggest he won't go down the route of JR is just a ridiculous statement to make and not based on anything factual.

Lets face facts, JR was a great spokesman for the club, but it was Terry and Dick's money that provided the platform to achieve what we did.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 20, 2022, 03:50:32 pm by Campsall rover »
It’s very sad to say but I think he may be correct. The clubs downward trajectory, both on and off the pitch is there to see. The owners’ and leaders general inertia to club has got me thinking we will be next seasons Scunny. I am so convinced I’m going to have a look at the odds to ease the pain.
[/quote
Oh dear oh dear.
Not even close to doing a Scunthorpe.
Yes we were bad last season but we are miles better than them and that is without a decent striker.
If we get one who stays fit we have a very good squad for league 2
More additions to come also.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 20, 2022, 04:46:17 pm by Alan Southstand »
Lets face facts, JR was a great spokesman for the club, but it was Terry and Dick's money that provided the platform to achieve what we did.

Not quite true. Yes, they helped getting us to the Championship and maintaining it, but JR got us to within a whisker of it, with help from a few others, before Terry & Dick came along.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 20, 2022, 06:40:05 pm by drfchound »
[/quote
Oh dear oh dear.
Not even close to doing a Scunthorpe.
Yes we were bad last season but we are miles better than them and that is without a decent striker.
If we get one who stays fit we have a very good squad for league 2
More additions to come also.

To be fair Camps, at the end of 2020/21 when some of us wrote that we feared that the horrifying run to the end of that season might continue into 21/22 there were plenty of posters  who said that wouldn’t happen either.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 20, 2022, 06:40:45 pm by silent majority »

Not quite true. Yes, they helped getting us to the Championship and maintaining it, but JR got us to within a whisker of it, with help from a few others, before Terry & Dick came along.

Once promoted out of the old 4th tier at the 1st attempt we finished 10th and then 8th in League 1. I wouldn't call that a whisker.

Terry and Dick joined the board in October 2006.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 20, 2022, 07:20:17 pm by danumdon »

That's just a nonsense. Terry has single-handedly put more money into this club than any single individual in the time I've been a supporter of this club, and that covers a 60 year period. To suggest he won't go down the route of JR is just a ridiculous statement to make and not based on anything factual.

SCWK,  What did you mean by the point, "Terry obviously isn’t going to go down the route of John Ryan" as i feel this may be misconstrued. I think the point could mean a few things.

Could you clarify?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 20, 2022, 10:30:16 pm by tyke1962 »
Can't believe such tripe as linked in the OP could  be taken even remotely seriously in May .

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 20, 2022, 11:01:14 pm by Sammy Chung was King »

SCWK,  What did you mean by the point, "Terry obviously isn’t going to go down the route of John Ryan" as i feel this may be misconstrued. I think the point could mean a few things.

Could you clarify?

He won’t go as far in spending money in trying to advance us quickly. It seems to me he is putting a certain amount in and letting the club find its natural division.
If the club can’t support itself to a degree ,then it seems he isn’t going to pump silly amounts into the club. He wants the club as high as possible in the leagues, but if they can’t sustain themselves in the championship or league one, he isn’t chasing any particular dream. His main thought is to make sure there is a club to support.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 21, 2022, 09:04:41 am by tyke1962 »
Would anyone agree with me that league two and to a possibly lesser extent league one is more about how smart you are with the budget rather than the size of it .

An example would be Wycombe Wanderers out performing Ipswich Town this season .

Fan owned Exeter City winning League Two on modest gates .

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 21, 2022, 09:32:46 am by Campsall rover »
Would anyone agree with me that league two and to a possibly lesser extent league one is more about how smart you are with the budget rather than the size of it .

An example would be Wycombe Wanderers out performing Ipswich Town this season .

Fan owned Exeter City winning League Two on modest gates .
Agree totally especially at that level.
It’s all about getting 3 more players in now with promotion on their CV’s imo. We need some winners in the team.
That is absolutely vital.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 21, 2022, 09:34:18 am by steve@dcfd »
Yes you have to use the playing budget to get the best quality players we can unfortunately to degree last summer in parts and January we didn’t do that. Players brought in had to get up to speed first which took longer than expected. But with a mid table playing budget in league one ( which we had? ) then we should be able to get the players required to attack League 2 and bounce back decisively.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on May 21, 2022, 09:56:22 am by roversdude »
I still think there is going to be some tough times financially for a lot of league clubs from the covid period. Yeah we had a bad season but we’ve paid what we needed to other clubs I would wager have kicked the can down the road

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 21, 2022, 10:49:00 am by tyke1962 »
I still think there is going to be some tough times financially for a lot of league clubs from the covid period. Yeah we had a bad season but we’ve paid what we needed to other clubs I would wager have kicked the can down the road

That could also be advantageous with the amount of players getting released this summer .

Whether players like it or not if they want to remain in the game they are going to have to be realistic with their wage expectations .

Where the game was two years ago to where it is now financially is chalk and cheese .

Looking at many championship clubs list of players released there is plenty of quality available .

Out there this summer there are players available within budget who would have you winning the league next season , there is .

This is where the smarts kick in .

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on May 21, 2022, 11:27:50 am by roversdude »
Totally agree with that Tyke (hope things are better for you personally by the way). It’s not just quality we are making the right noises about players being the correct fit too. Our first signing would have been well known to our new assistant manager so fingers crossed

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 21, 2022, 11:33:39 am by tyke1962 »
Totally agree with that Tyke (hope things are better for you personally by the way). It’s not just quality we are making the right noises about players being the correct fit too. Our first signing would have been well known to our new assistant manager so fingers crossed

Thanks rovers , things are much better personally than they were a fortnight ago .

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on May 21, 2022, 11:48:17 am by tyke1962 »

A bit under the radar this one but Luton have released midfield player Luke Berry who was part of the Luton journey from league two to the championship .

29 years old , smart signing with midfield goals in him in my opinion .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012