Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 04:54:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers Player Commentary today  (Read 3554 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Rovers Player Commentary today
« on March 09, 2013, 05:02:58 pm by Filo »
Superb, complimented each other very well and it felt like I was at the game, Glenn you`re a natural in the lead role, can we have you every week?  :thumbsup:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pubteam

Re: Rovers Player Commentary today
« Reply #1 on March 09, 2013, 05:03:56 pm by pubteam »
Got to agree. Very good commentary and a few laughs as well.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 09, 2013, 05:04:16 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Hear, hear!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 09, 2013, 05:05:49 pm by River Don »
Here here even.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:42:48 pm by River Don »

newcomer1

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 09, 2013, 05:06:17 pm by newcomer1 »
I enjoyed it as well, very easy to understand but it was too ridged

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 09, 2013, 05:07:17 pm by ScillyRover »
Well done Glenn and Danny
You can tell they are enjoying it too... still on 15 mins after the game !  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:10:28 pm by ScillyRover »

bellevuebulgar

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 09, 2013, 05:12:32 pm by bellevuebulgar »
Newcomer1, what do you mean "ridged"? Not a word I recognise. I thought they were excellent.

SOD

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 09, 2013, 05:16:58 pm by SOD »
Probably the best Rovers commentary I've heard. Glen is a natural and extremely fluent, humorous and never missed a bit of the play. In the past we've had to endure minutes of personal opinion whilst wondering which team let alone which player have the ball. MAKE HIM PERMANENT PLEASE :scarf: :scarf:

MartinB

« Reply #8 on March 09, 2013, 05:18:34 pm by MartinB »
Seconded, always grateful for hearing the commentary but today was class.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 09, 2013, 05:29:12 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Sorry to be different but I thought the opposite. The lead commentator wasn't bad at picking up the play but spoke far too fast and the other guy was amateurish. Thought the attempts at humour were poor. If I'm listening to a commentary I want it to sound a bit more professional not listening to my mates discussing the game in the pub. Neither are a patch on Paul Goodwin.

pubteam

« Reply #10 on March 09, 2013, 05:34:36 pm by pubteam »
Sorry to be different but I thought the opposite. The lead commentator wasn't bad at picking up the play but spoke far too fast and the other guy was amateurish. Thought the attempts at humour were poor. If I'm listening to a commentary I want it to sound a bit more professional not listening to my mates discussing the game in the pub. Neither are a patch on Paul Goodwin.

I thought the narrative was pretty good. A little bit frantic at times, but I think that's unavoidable when the game is such. Even on Radio Sheffield they get a bit frantic and excited when there's some action, and they're meant to be professionals.

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 09, 2013, 05:35:59 pm by donnyallday »
I thought it was bloody good.

Well done boys, more of the same please.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 09, 2013, 05:46:38 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Commentary was excellent.  Decribed play superbly and nice to hear a quality commentary from somebody who was obviously Rovers partisan.  Paul Goodwin's commentaries never really felt like that to me.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 09, 2013, 05:49:33 pm by hoolahoop »

Nonsense the commentary was every bit as good as anything you will ever hear on Radio Deedar.......more of the same please. WELL DONE LADS

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 09, 2013, 06:39:51 pm by VivaRovers »
Thanks folks, nice surprise to come on here to this feedback after the game. We're not the most professional by any means - that's only the third time I've done it and Danny and Chris are new to it as well - so I can understand if we're not to everyone's taste/ideals. And today was the first time we'd worked as a trio together too so it's a constant learning process.

But really enjoyed it. Would love to do it more regularly but commitments to the fanzine and travel from London where I'm based means I sadly can't. I think we're all together again as a trio at Coventry next so hope that can be as good as today's. Learning process, but hopefully we're getting there.

Thanks again for the many kind comments above.

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 09, 2013, 06:57:56 pm by MiKA »
This was the first game I'd listened to on it, what's probably put me off trying it before is the bad feedback I've heard on here.

Well I don't know if today was a one off but the commentary was bang on, it was a pleasure listening to two guys who genuinely wanted our team to win.  Well done to them. 

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 09, 2013, 07:09:42 pm by Jimmydee »
I listened to the game via Radio Deedar, I didn't recognise their commentator, he must have been a contracted Bournemouth presenter, I wasn't impressed with his performance and there was no ex-pro co-commentator to help him.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 09, 2013, 07:10:41 pm by Standanista »
It was outstanding commentary, 10 out of 10, a step change from what we've had before.

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 09, 2013, 07:11:52 pm by MiKA »
14 days free trial on the iplayer at present Jimmy, give it a go 

pubteam

« Reply #19 on March 09, 2013, 07:14:45 pm by pubteam »
I listened to the game via Radio Deedar, I didn't recognise their commentator, he must have been a contracted Bournemouth presenter, I wasn't impressed with his performance and there was no ex-pro co-commentator to help him.

Murray Burnell did the Radio Sheffield commentary. He usually reports on Rotherham, but was assigned to us today.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 09, 2013, 07:22:29 pm by Jimmydee »
Tht's why he got excited when Lewis Grabbin got the ball during the game then.
Rob Staton is having a week off, he is usually good with our games on Deedar

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 09, 2013, 07:47:54 pm by newyankee »
Yes Glenn and the gang, very much more professional than of late. I like Retford Rover, but only as a summariser, he gets far too involved when commentating. I also want to conratulate young Chris who is turning into a good broadcaster, despite what I said a few weeks ago. I said go for it and you have, improving all the time, good on yer.

Glenn that was the best Rovers commentary I have heard as there was the supporter element, but with the more professional take on the game. Pity you cannot do it on a more regualr basis.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 09, 2013, 08:18:43 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Spot on commentery today, well done lads  :aok:

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 09, 2013, 10:43:18 pm by PDX_Rover »
Yeah it was great. Glen has the gift. Danny's a good sidekick.

Chrisd_123

« Reply #24 on March 09, 2013, 11:18:36 pm by Chrisd_123 »
Yes Glenn and the gang, very much more professional than of late. I like Retford Rover, but only as a summariser, he gets far too involved when commentating. I also want to conratulate young Chris who is turning into a good broadcaster, despite what I said a few weeks ago. I said go for it and you have, improving all the time, good on yer.

Glenn that was the best Rovers commentary I have heard as there was the supporter element, but with the more professional take on the game. Pity you cannot do it on a more regualr basis.

Thanks for the encouragement! To be fair today I didn't feel I was great but the way the press were laid out etc kind of made it difficult for me to get involved as much as I would have liked. Also, I don't think it came across but we were experiencing some really weird feedback from something and it was hard to hear Glenn sometimes as it made a loud noise every few seconds!

I'm trying to improve and I realise I'm not as fluent or confident as Glenn or Danny yet but I feel I'm improving too game by game.

Unfortunately I'm not on commentary now until the Scunny game. Hopefully I'll be better there as well!

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 10, 2013, 02:38:43 am by newyankee »
      Keep  pushing Chris, I try when I criticise to be constructive, I have many friends back in England from my days in Rugby League, people like John Helm, John Boyd, Dave Woods, Harry Gration, Peter Drury, Eddie Hemmings and Stevo.

They all had to start somewhere, they didn't start off commentating on Cup Finals, World Cups and Olympics, most started in local radio and sometimes hospital radio.

Keep at it and you will get there.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 10, 2013, 02:43:16 am by newyankee »
By the way Chris, you have a great contact at the Rovers to get a lead into the BBC. Dave Parker has worked with the BBC for over 35 years beginning with "Up and Under Eddie Waring" and still doing all the BBC Rugby League games.

If you get a chance at one of the home games, buttonhole him, and ask him for some advice, he is not in commentary, but works behind the scenes.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 10, 2013, 02:50:07 am by newyankee »
   Question for Viva Rovers, Glenn, how on earth did you manage to get the title of a pop song into your commentary today. Was it planned or just coinscidence?

At one point you talked about one of their players who " passed to Ritchie on the left hand side", I thought the actual words were "passed the Duchy on the left hand side".

Do you intend to include a different one in every commentary?  It could make it worth listening.

colin cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 10, 2013, 11:01:24 am by colin cramb »
14 days free trial on the iplayer at present Jimmy, give it a go 

how does one go about listening to this? what website etc is it? cheers in advance

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 10, 2013, 11:07:10 am by DonnyOsmond »
Here here even.

Short for hear him, hear him. So it's hear not here.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012