Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:20:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Statto Needed  (Read 2705 times)

philsky

• Forum Member
Statto Needed
« on February 24, 2011, 11:25:49 am by philsky »
I still clearing out my loft and found this; 2 April 1977:

I reckon this is Ces Podd etc

Score ?

Attendance ?

Teams ?

RTID

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Re: Statto Needed
« Reply #1 on February 24, 2011, 01:58:47 pm by Dutch Uncle »
According to Tony Bluff's Complete History on 2 April 1977:

Bradford City - Doncaster Rovers 3-1
Attendance 6882, Rovers scorer: Joe Laidlaw

Rovers Team:

D.Peacock
S.Brookes
S.Reed
F.Robinson
S.Uzelac
B.Taylor
I.Miller
A.Murray
B.O'Callaghan
P.Kitchen
J.Laidlaw

Sub G.Snodin (for Reed)

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 24, 2011, 02:50:03 pm by philsky »
One of the great squads.

Id have started Reed for Brookes.

RTID

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 24, 2011, 03:00:59 pm by dickos1 »
Reed and brookes both started did they not? Snodin came on for reed.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 24, 2011, 03:10:20 pm by philsky »
I didnt know but your thoughts mirrors my suggestion !

FlintyDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 24, 2011, 06:13:03 pm by FlintyDRFC »
get it on ebay

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 24, 2011, 06:27:06 pm by philsky »
Eye, worth............................................tupence

:sick:

snods big brother

« Reply #7 on February 24, 2011, 08:37:07 pm by snods big brother »
Truppence anyone?

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 24, 2011, 09:26:00 pm by bradford exile »
From the star (I think) By Joe Slater

Rovers have lost their confidence

It took Doncaster Rovers eight games in eight weeks to fight their way from relative obscurity into a promotion challenging spot.

It has taken only two matches in five days to reverses the process.

Not that Rovers are out of the hunt. They are still only three points away from a top four position.

But, from a side oozing confdence and seemingly invincible home or away, Rovers have suddenly become a powderpuff outfit unable to contain opposing attacks or break down defenses.

\"Promotin Hopes\" asked a Bradford pressman. Ive seen Workington play better.

He of course hadn't seen the Doncaster team of a couple of weeks ago, but it was difficult to equate the team which surrendered to Watford and Bradford with the one which had gone ten games without defeat, including a run of six successive victories.

GUESS

Since the same eleven players have taken part in all these matches, it must be put down to confidence, though why Rovers should have lost theirs especcially after their sparkling perfomance against Huddersfield is anybody's guess.

An injury to Steve Reed after an hours play didn't help with the defence having to be reshuffled as Glynn Snodin came on for his first senior game.

But Bradford were already in control by then with Steve Uzelac having a rare off-form day and Brian Taylor being casual to the point of carelessness.

Chances WERE created up front but there was no penetration and direct shots at goal were few and far between.

Joe Laidlaw had as many as anyone and it was he who hit Rovers consolation goal 15 seconds from the end after Stan Brookes had done all the spadework.

SURE

Before then however Braford had made sure of taking over second spot in the division four table relegating Rovers to ninth.

The Doncaster defence was caught by a pass from Hall to Hutchinson after nine minutes and Terry Dolan opened the scoring.

Twenty minutes later Dennis Peacock was out-jumped by Joe Cooke and the Bradford man headed the ball home.

Bernie Wright made it 3-0 nine minutes from the end when he was allowed two shots at goal and the second went home.

Brandan O'Callaghan was booked for a foul on goalkeeper Downsborough, though protesting violently that he had been pushed.

His was a rather different performance from the corresponding match a year ago when, before his home town supporters he hit a hat trick.

Regards

Ray

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 24, 2011, 11:07:07 pm by nice one rovers »
Quote from: \"philsky\" post=143394
I still clearing out my loft and found this; 2 April 1977:

I reckon this is Ces Podd etc

Score ?

Attendance ?

Teams ?

RTID

This was Ces's era, don't know why he wasn't on the sheet that day, what a star, 502 appearances for Bradford and only scored 3times, he's still a real hero there. I still see him most weeks when he's around. No kidding, he's in his late fifties and you'd guess 35 tops! for anyone interested he's currently in St Lucia, trying to get those little islands into the world cup.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 24, 2011, 11:40:19 pm by BobG »
Used to positively hate him :) Nasty, irritating bloke. Always wound us up. But, actually, he could play a bit and yes. He was there that long that he became synonymous with 'em.

Cheers

BobG

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 25, 2011, 08:02:50 am by Dagenham Rover »
Quote from: \"bradford exile\" post=143564
From the star (I think) By Joe Slater

Rovers have lost their confidence

It took Doncaster Rovers eight games in eight weeks to fight their way from relative obscurity into a promotion challenging spot.

It has taken only two matches in five days to reverses the process.

Not that Rovers are out of the hunt. They are still only three points away from a top four position.

But, from a side oozing confdence and seemingly invincible home or away, Rovers have suddenly become a powderpuff outfit unable to contain opposing attacks or break down defenses.

\"Promotin Hopes\" asked a Bradford pressman. Ive seen Workington play better.

He of course hadn't seen the Doncaster team of a couple of weeks ago, but it was difficult to equate the team which surrendered to Watford and Bradford with the one which had gone ten games without defeat, including a run of six successive victories.

GUESS

Since the same eleven players have taken part in all these matches, it must be put down to confidence, though why Rovers should have lost theirs especcially after their sparkling perfomance against Huddersfield is anybody's guess.

An injury to Steve Reed after an hours play didn't help with the defence having to be reshuffled as Glynn Snodin came on for his first senior game.

But Bradford were already in control by then with Steve Uzelac having a rare off-form day and Brian Taylor being casual to the point of carelessness.

Chances WERE created up front but there was no penetration and direct shots at goal were few and far between.

Joe Laidlaw had as many as anyone and it was he who hit Rovers consolation goal 15 seconds from the end after Stan Brookes had done all the spadework.

SURE

Before then however Braford had made sure of taking over second spot in the division four table relegating Rovers to ninth.

The Doncaster defence was caught by a pass from Hall to Hutchinson after nine minutes and Terry Dolan opened the scoring.

Twenty minutes later Dennis Peacock was out-jumped by Joe Cooke and the Bradford man headed the ball home.

Bernie Wright made it 3-0 nine minutes from the end when he was allowed two shots at goal and the second went home.

Brandan O'Callaghan was booked for a foul on goalkeeper Downsborough, though protesting violently that he had been pushed.

His was a rather different performance from the corresponding match a year ago when, before his home town supporters he hit a hat trick.

Regards

Ray

Would'nt it have been the Doncaster Evening Post then especially as its Joe Slater reporting?
Can't remember when they killed it off!

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 25, 2011, 05:19:29 pm by bradford exile »
\"Would'nt it have been the Doncaster Evening Post then especially as its Joe Slater reporting?
Can't remember when they killed it off!\"

Dagenham....yes it probably was..but I cant remember when they killed it of either

regards

Ray

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 25, 2011, 05:43:11 pm by Lesonthewest »
The game before that we were tonked 5-1 away at.............Watford!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 25, 2011, 09:37:21 pm by BobG »
And I was at that game Les! We scored first. Looked quite good actually. 1-0 up and all is well. But they had some older chap playing in midfield for them, can't remember his name now, Denis something maybe? and he went mad. We fell apart and quick as a flash, it was 5-1. As my Watford supporting uni mate was with me, I was not a happy bunny at all!

Still, I was there the next year as well. We went two worse. Lost 6-0 that time. And we were bloody awful.

Cheers

BobG

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 26, 2011, 09:14:36 am by idler »
Remember the city game well. I went with my brother-in-law and nephew from Bradford. The nephew kept pestering his dad to bet on Red Rum in the national that day,he didn't and Red Rum won for the third time.
Ces Podd used to teach salsa at the Dubrovnik hotel in Bradford and looks as if he hasn't gained a pound in weight since he stopped playing.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 27, 2011, 09:02:30 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Here you go Ray

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/Leisure_in_Doncaster/Libraries/Archives_Local_Studies/family_local_history/Newspapers.asp

Yorkshire Evening Post  (Donny edition) till 1970
Donny Evening Post 1970-1983
Star 1983-

TinyPortal © 2005-2012