Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:44:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Stat of the day  (Read 2663 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Stat of the day
« on July 05, 2015, 11:46:22 am by BillyStubbsTears »
In our last 25 league and cup games against Scunny, there have been 91 goals (Rovers 59 goals, Scunny 32). If that scoring record was replicated over a 46 match season, we'd have GF 109, GA 59. We haven't had a 0-0 against them since the Leyland DAF match in 1991 at OBV which we lost on penalties on an ice rink of a pitch.

Never a dull moment in those matches, eh? I bet they reight look forward to playing us!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
Re: Stat of the day
« Reply #1 on July 05, 2015, 12:29:10 pm by 1879Rovers »
My lads first home game was the final game of last season. I had to burst his excited little bubble on the way home and explain it isn't always like that following Rovers.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 05, 2015, 05:00:53 pm by Canadian Rover »
Bloody hell BST....no need for that post. One of the three games I'll make next season is Scunny at home. It's now bound to be a bloody awful 0-0 game (which will still be better than Walsall away that I made last year!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 05, 2015, 05:00:59 pm by Jonathan »
Ever since Kieron Brady banged in a screamer at the old Show Ground I've always felt that Scunny have brought something special out in us - especially at their place. From memory (which means I'll probably be wrong) I only recall seeing one defeat at Glanford Park - fairly early in SoD's reign. Aside from that we've seen a few belters there - quality strikes stick in the mind from David Roche, Gary Worthington, the Norbury treble, Colin Cramb, Graeme Lee and a late equaliser from big Leo which, although typically scruffy, was up there with one of my most celebrated goals ever! Happy days.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 05, 2015, 06:28:14 pm by Lesonthewest »
The Kieran Brady goal was one of my favourite all time Rovers goals, Glanford Park though wasn't it?. The lottery of penalties at Belle Vue sticks in the memory too, as BST states it was an ice rink. I seem to remember David Harle not bothering with a run up & smashing it from virtually a standing start.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 05, 2015, 07:09:29 pm by craigdrfc »
KBs goal was definitely at Glanford Park

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 05, 2015, 07:22:34 pm by The Red Baron »
They used to be something of a bogey side for us, at least at their place. IIRC we only ever won once at the Old Showground and that was in 1968-9 when we won Division Four.

The first three times we played at Glanford Park we lost. I know because I was there each time. I missed the Keiron Brady win but that turned the tide and we've had some good days there since. The 5-0 was something else, but the 3-1 the season before, when Ian Atkins was in charge, was a top performance.

We even managed to hold them to a draw in 97-98!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 05, 2015, 08:34:03 pm by Jonathan »
Age is getting to me here!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 05, 2015, 11:39:18 pm by BobG »
We had a spell, decades back now, playing them on Boxing Day at the Old Show Ground. We used to lose. Regularly. It right pissed me off I tell thee. And just as bad was the subsequent spell playing Lincoln at home on Boxing Days. We used to lose them too. 4-0 one year. Dennis had had too much Christmas pud.

BobG

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 06, 2015, 12:25:07 am by Colemans Left Hook »
yes "young man"

strangly i mentioned on this site in the last month or so about rovers being 2-0 down at home to Scunny after 10 minutes and winning 3-2 in about match 6 that year in 196? when they won the 4th division -- even then there were lots of goals (Did Scunny become Darlington in disguise ?)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 06, 2015, 09:06:34 am by idler »
yes "young man"

strangly i mentioned on this site in the last month or so about rovers being 2-0 down at home to Scunny after 10 minutes and winning 3-2 in about match 6 that year in 196? when they won the 4th division -- even then there were lots of goals (Did Scunny become Darlington in disguise ?)
I think that might have been 1968/69.
They had a bald headed ex Norwich City bloke on the wing called Bill Punton. He ran the show for 20 minutes or so and then king Alick took over to silence their fans. They had a big following there as well.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 06, 2015, 09:23:36 am by IDM »
We had a spell, decades back now, playing them on Boxing Day at the Old Show Ground. We used to lose. Regularly. It right pissed me off I tell thee. And just as bad was the subsequent spell playing Lincoln at home on Boxing Days. We used to lose them too. 4-0 one year. Dennis had had too much Christmas pud.

BobG

Lincoln at home on Boxing Day, 1975, was my first ever game.  We lost 2-4. I think Lincoln won the league that season with a record number of points for a 46 game season at 2 points for a win.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 06, 2015, 10:01:42 am by The Red Baron »
The day after that Lincoln Boxing Day game we played at Scunny, who were bottom or second bottom of the league. We lost 2-1. As I say, they were a bit of a bogey side to us in those days.

We lost the return game at Belle Vue 1-0 as well. By that time Rovers had nothing to play for. The only memorable aspect was that Steve Wignall came on as a sub and got sent off a few minutes later after a ding-dong with Richard Money at a corner.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 06, 2015, 02:15:23 pm by Mike_F »
That Fortune-West goal at GP was tremendous. Jamie Price had been sent off (around the hour mark IIRC) so the late equaliser was doubly sweet with ten men.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012