Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:06:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A Preston view  (Read 4116 times)

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
A Preston view
« on August 07, 2010, 08:59:47 pm by Bald Rover »
we were that bad especially in the FH that it looked like Ferguson had thrown the towel in pre-match. We were a decade behind the style that Doncaster played, I just wish I could watch that style of footie at Deepdale every week. Friend the Donny FB was brilliant and I think the Doncaster team deserved recognition for at least helping me justify the amount I spent watching a very one sided affair.
We were a shambles, no other word for it and whilst some may draw comfort from the fact that the team was largely a group of strangers, or so it looked to me, and they will come good. The little matter of confidence will become an issue if we have many more performances like that.
Many times last season I saw a PNE team come out for the first half looking off pace and having to pick it up 2nd half and it happened again today, this is looking to be a worrying trend that DF needs to sort out.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Hexthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
Re:A Preston view
« Reply #1 on August 07, 2010, 09:07:41 pm by Hexthorpe Rover »
Stop moning they got all 3 points didnt they

DRFC_TID_93

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 07, 2010, 09:09:36 pm by DRFC_TID_93 »
Hexthorpe Rover wrote:

he's a PNE fan isn't he? look at some of the things he writes, @we we're decades behind the style you play'

Hexthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 07, 2010, 09:11:16 pm by Hexthorpe Rover »
Sorry my fault

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 07, 2010, 09:13:31 pm by Bald Rover »
Hexthorpe Rover wrote:

Did you even read the post or just jump to conclusions? :dry:

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 07, 2010, 09:19:05 pm by FuzzyDuck »
On the 606 boards a couple of Preston fans were complaining about a numpty (their opinion) who phoned in - did you get this from the radio Baldy?

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 07, 2010, 09:30:39 pm by Bald Rover »
no off their board matey...;istening to the radio on the way back was good though, one of their guys was full of praise for us. Also did you hear the comments Doncaster are one of the best sides in the division and We knew it was going to be a hard game, and on todays showing they will be pushing even harder this season!! gave me goosebumps..

swain_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 07, 2010, 09:30:47 pm by swain_drfc »
I heard a text came in from a supposed Preston fan which went by the lines of.

Got beat by a much better Doncaster team today
If anyone eants to buy my season ticket this season then let me know
Im going to live in Yorkshire.

:laugh:  :laugh:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 07, 2010, 09:36:52 pm by Filo »
Hexthorpe Rover wrote:
I can't decide if you're taking the piss or that you're not the sharpest tool in the box!

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 07, 2010, 09:38:07 pm by Bald Rover »
We were stopped by some old fella on the way into the ground he asked how many we would beat them by? reckoned we were by far the best side they played last season....Its good to be a Rover lol!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 07, 2010, 10:26:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Doncaster are a class side and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go up this year.

This is the one I like !

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 08, 2010, 07:10:04 am by Alan Southstand »
I thought they were much better 2nd half and, but for a couple of glaring misses, could easily have got back into the game. Are we getting a bit carried away with ourselves? One swallow and all that.

I loved that 1st half along with everyone else and if we can continue to pick up wins away from home, we will do well this season but it was the first game, for goodness sake. Before we get too carried away, I think we need to concentrate on strengthening our squad.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 08, 2010, 07:37:41 am by Donnywolf »
Agreed

This easily could have fitted in the game of 2 halves as it was noticeable from the kick off in second half that they intended to \"change\". Perhaps Fergie Jnr had had his Battery operated Barbie hair dryer out

... but again it is difficult to judge how much WE let them back in it by dropping off in the second half and in fact how much they were made to look crap in the first half when we took them to pieces

Woeful finishing by PNE which as you say could certainly have got them goals but as with us in the past it did not and they paid the penalty

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 08, 2010, 09:31:28 am by donnybez »
Just one game on and already getting excited

Still I actually believe that this side has all the ingrediants. The 'Mark Van Bommel' factor in Simon Gillett who may need to understand how to avoid bookings......well sendings off

Sully is still at it and of course Sharp shooting up front = The right side

Rovers for title?  B)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 08, 2010, 10:45:52 am by Sprotyrover »
Been peusing their Boards, they arent big fans of mr Brown,Hate his guts infact B)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 08, 2010, 05:10:01 pm by Jonathan »
We were excellent first half in the way we moved the ball about and took our chances, I don't think we actually hit top gear but there was a noticeable gulf in class between the two teams. At our best we would have created more openings but as a start to the season that first 45 minutes was very impressive. Geroge Friend had a superb first half both defending and attacking and looked a steal.

The second half saw a few frailties exposed in my opinion. Preston seemed to push Treacy further forward and upped the tempo a bit and we have Neil Sullivan to thank for keeping them at bay. I thought the way in which they got in behind our defence was alarming at times and I'd even compare some of it to the dreadful England performance against Germany. You could have driven a bus between the two centre halves and they were woefully exposed for pace. Sometimes all it took was a bouncing ball or an aimless punt down the middle to get them in on goal and we have to rectify that. Thankfully Sullivan was on top form and his awareness and decision making on coming off his line (quickly) was faultless. We were guilty of getting too tight to them at times and got turned too easily. Friend, for all his promise, showed signs of naivety in the second half but I think that will be ironed out with coaching and experience and he looks a real find.

We desperately need a new central defender. Whether Thomas is the answer or not is debatable but he will certainly help while we scour the market for a long term solution.

Other than Sullivan, I thought Gillet was absolutely outstanding up until his sending off. His bite in the middle of the park adds another dimension for us, he just needs to learn to keep his head as the first needless booking (for reaction) made the sending off inevitable after a late challenge. We will miss him but it gives Josh Payne a chance to stake a claim which is why we signed him.

O'Connor was consistently excellent throughout the game, Stock makes the whole team tick and Billy and Hayter worked tirelessly without getting many clear openings.

All in all I thought it was an excellent start to the season. A great result and lots of promise in the performance. The areas of weakness were pretty obvious and were identified at the start of the summer, so hopefully we can find the solution to that very soon. I think there is a lot more to come from us, but 3 points in the bag straight away gives us an immediate platform. Great stuff.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 08, 2010, 05:25:52 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
That's an accurate assessment in my opinion. Martis turns like the QE2 and Lockwood isn't very quick either so as you say this needs looking at. I thought Woods was a peripheral figure. He linked the play up but for me he doesn't look like a player who will conjure something up. Sharp really needs more support in the final third as he was getting isolated and this will lead to frustration. All in all a good performance but we are lacking pace in key areas.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 08, 2010, 05:34:53 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
That's why I think a back 5 could work with JOC being the centre pin.

With Chambers/Dumbuya and Friend being the wing backs, we would not be so concerned with JOC sweeping up.

Still, it's good that SOD has options and, should Thomas sign and Webster get fit then competition will be fierce.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012