Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:47:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Stadium gone wrong  (Read 3999 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
New Stadium gone wrong
« on August 18, 2010, 12:22:15 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Morecambe, looks like one or two problems there.

http://www.ttpics.co.uk/shrimpsvoices/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8683

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
Re:New Stadium gone wrong
« Reply #1 on August 18, 2010, 12:29:44 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Some of those restricted views are unbelieveable especially in a new build

VikingJames

« Reply #2 on August 18, 2010, 12:29:45 pm by VikingJames »
:laugh:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 18, 2010, 01:02:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Oh dear. I'd hazard a guess that the designers had never been involved in designing a football stand before. They have made all the balls-ups of a first-timer.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 18, 2010, 01:41:07 pm by bedale rover »
it almost a carbon copy of the old ground except at christie park the bulk of the fans were behind the goal

shit though aint it? :woot:

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 18, 2010, 04:11:37 pm by Rios »
bedale rover wrote:
it almost a carbon copy of the old ground except at christie park the bulk of the fans were behind the goal

I thought that too.  Can someone explain to me exactly what they've achieved from moving that couldn't have been done cheaper at Christie Park???  Why on earth would you decide not to build on a whole complete side of the ground?  There are a number of Scottish lower league grounds that don't build behind the goals to save money, but to not build down a whole side is madness.

It has to rank up there with the Deva Stadium for sheer crapness and short sightedness.  For all the negatives and lack of imagination that our ground and the likes of Chesterfield/Colchester/Shrewsbury has at least they're functional, comfortable and a world better than where we/they orignally came from.

VikingJames

« Reply #6 on August 18, 2010, 04:22:02 pm by VikingJames »
Rios wrote:
bedale rover wrote:

I thought that too.  Can someone explain to me exactly what they've achieved from moving that couldn't have been done cheaper at Christie Park???  Why on earth would you decide not to build on a whole complete side of the ground?  There are a number of Scottish lower league grounds that don't build behind the goals to save money, but to not build down a whole side is madness.

It has to rank up there with the Deva Stadium for sheer crapness and short sightedness.  For all the negatives and lack of imagination that our ground and the likes of Chesterfield/Colchester/Shrewsbury has at least they're functional, comfortable and a world better than where we/they orignally came from.

Spot on.

Capacity of Christie Park - 6,400
Capacity of Globe Arena - 6,476

It gives them everything Christie Park did, apart from character, tradition, and ..erm views of the whole pitch. It must be the most pointless move ever.

There are stands down both sides, although they needn't have bothered with the one opposite the seated stand. It is literally 3 or 4 steps of uncovered terracing. It looks as if they ran out of money near the end, so just decided to stick a minimal bit of concrete down and call it a stand! Here's a picture...

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 18, 2010, 04:54:23 pm by Rios »
However, that side is temporary and can be developed in the future (there is actually plenty of room behind the stand. Building there in future, I believe, would also allow us to apply for grants (we couldn't apply for any this time round as we wanted terracing). Therefore, if we do progress we can adapt accordingly.

Found the above from a Morecambe fan defending the new ground to Rotherham fans who'd just been.  To me this is what the difference is.  Remember when the Keepmoat was first being mooted and a lot of people on the original VSC board wanted standing behind the goal, ala Scunthorpe?  And Andy Liney arguing the case that the millions of pounds in grants were not available for terracing....  There but for the grace of god go we.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #8 on August 18, 2010, 05:13:09 pm by GM-MarkB »
The most alarming part of their new stadium is the alleyway behind the away end...a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

God help them if they get a big team in the 3rd round of the Cup at home...someone is undoubtably going to get hurt in there.

phllvslc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 18, 2010, 05:26:48 pm by phllvslc »
I've just finished Uni. at Lancaster which is just down the road from Morecambe so went to see them a few times.  As some have already pointed out, it is indeed a brand new carbon copy of Christie Park.  Whether redevelopment of CP could have taken place I'm not too sure, what with the ground being rather close to housing.  On a total tangent, Morecambe have the best pies in the league I reckon in both taste and value.  Last season at least, pie, peas and gravy cost £1.90!!! Shame that they are not going to sell many to away fans with that narrow alley.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 18, 2010, 10:55:14 pm by Drover »
Dont forget we had a similar situation with the dugouts at the Keepmoat  :ohmy:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 19, 2010, 12:52:09 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
The dug out situation at KM was a bi farcical. The design did not have them and subs/officials would sit back from the pitch in seats at the front of the stand.

Then the club decided it wanted them. So they built the spaceage design ones which had a high roof, only to find it restricted the views of far too many seats, so they dismantled them in favour of using the portable ones we have now.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 19, 2010, 12:20:25 pm by Drover »
The original design did not have them,but my understanding was that the Club/Andy Liney incorrectly thought that had to have them due league rules so had fixed ones installed only to find out a, they then blocked certain ST views and B, they are not required by league rules, They then proceed to have them removed for better viewing and the management/subs sat in the front row but then after a few matchs and a few unsavoury comments towards our management aswell as away management they decided to use the portable ones which was used for the second pitch.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 19, 2010, 12:30:19 pm by Drover »
Hey why is there a cool smiley in my post? I did not put it in and I have tried to removed by editing and its not there to remove?whats happened??  :unsure:

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 19, 2010, 01:10:40 pm by keyser_soze »
B+) = B)

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 19, 2010, 01:58:03 pm by Mike_F »
No wonder I only got a C in my maths GCSE. I must've been off the day they did smiley algebra!

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 19, 2010, 06:20:38 pm by Drover »
keyser_soze wrote:
B+) = B)

Oh thanks  :blush: .I've edited it now. :) or should that be B)

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 19, 2010, 11:15:24 pm by JonWallsend »
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:
The dug out situation at KM was a bi farcical.

So what? live and let live, I say.  B)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012