Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:24:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Doncaster Rovers - known throughout Europe  (Read 3926 times)

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
Doncaster Rovers - known throughout Europe
« on September 09, 2010, 02:06:01 pm by VivaRovers »
The fame of our humble club is spreading. I went to the Wales game at the weekend and on the day of the game in Podgorica I was wearing my Brian Stock \"Doncaster Rovers & Wales\" t-shirt. Whilst we were in a cafe one of the waiters leaned in to read my shirt, before proclaiming \"Ah Doncaster Rovers, very good\" and disappearing off to the kitchen. He was one of three people I met who knew of Doncaster Rovers, including the Monetenegro/Serbia border guard at Bijela Polja. Very, very odd.

The full border guard story can be found within the report of the trip on Viva Rovers

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Duke

• Forum Member
Re:Doncaster Rovers - known throughout Europe
« Reply #1 on September 09, 2010, 02:24:35 pm by The Duke »
You will find rovers are very well know in serbia and in red stars main boozer they have our shirts and scarfs all over.

DubaiRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 09, 2010, 02:25:16 pm by DubaiRover »
and the middle east word is getting round, after meeting Cottyrover at dubai airport while he was on route to australia, myself and my Syrian pal both had rovers shirts and were stopped twice,ok one was from a guy from bawtry but it was good when Cottyrover turned up in his, three rovers shirts parading through Dubai airport,quality.
RTID

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 09, 2010, 03:35:07 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Also there is a Rovers shirt that is worn to the Apoel Nicosia games in Cyprus and a picture from our day out in Wembley is in the supporters club bar, which isn't bad as they are known to dislike all things English.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 09, 2010, 04:23:55 pm by not on facebook »
red star do like doncaster rovers due to a ddr connection thats as far as i go on that.

might i add iam sure a former red star player was signed up by wolves,the said player had close connections with the red star lads to which the player mentioned his like for doncaster rovers via a wolves publication.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 09, 2010, 04:34:19 pm by Filo »
Was n`t the legendary Mirsad Bubolovic a Red Star player, alledgedly?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 09, 2010, 04:39:11 pm by not on facebook »
filo i cant name the player for life of me only that
iam sure the said player was on the books at wolves.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 09, 2010, 04:39:56 pm by Jim Dobbin »
VivaRovers wrote:
The fame of our humble club is spreading. I went to the Wales game at the weekend and on the day of the game in Podgorica I was wearing my Brian Stock \"Doncaster Rovers & Wales\" t-shirt. Whilst we were in a cafe one of the waiters leaned in to read my shirt, before proclaiming \"Ah Doncaster Rovers, very good\" and disappearing off to the kitchen. He was one of three people I met who knew of Doncaster Rovers, including the Monetenegro/Serbia border guard at Bijela Polja. Very, very odd.

The full border guard story can be found within the report of the trip on Viva Rovers

Don't you think he just read your t-shirt and repeated it back to you?  B)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 09, 2010, 05:48:14 pm by not on facebook »
not if the said boarder gaurd runs with the red star lads
as he will know all there is to know about drfc etc etc

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 09, 2010, 07:54:48 pm by Wild Rover »
In the 1980's i was in Tanmarasset, low and behold 2 locals with DRFC shirts on. and they are Tuareg.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 09, 2010, 10:00:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Jim Dobbin wrote:
VivaRovers wrote:

Don't you think he just read your t-shirt and repeated it back to you?  B)

\"Very good\" in Serbo-Croat means \"who the 'kin 'ell are they then?\"

Strange part of the world that. I spent an insanitary 36 hours traversing Yugoslavia by train in 1986, me and two mates sharing one of them old 6-berth compartments with three fat, greasy, flatulent middle-aged Serbians who looked like Jack Lewis, Joe Laidlaw and Carl Swan having let themelves go.

Mono-syllabic was hardly the word for them. They said barely a word to us or each other for 24 hours. Then one of them signalled over to me that he wanted to try on my cheap imitation Ray-Ban Wayfarers. He then stood up and shouted \"Ha Haaaa! Doktor! DOCKTORRRRRRRRR!\" with his forearm across his chest like a Roman salute. At which point his mates collapsed on the floor in fits of laughter.

No wonder they ended up butchering each other a few years later.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 09, 2010, 10:11:46 pm by RobTheRover »
I think you will find that you were in fact in a pilot episode of the Yugoslav version of \"Three of a kind\".  The guy in the glasses was the closest they could find to Lenny Henry.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 09, 2010, 10:12:29 pm by BobG »
Wild Rover wrote:
In the 1980's i was in Tanmarasset, low and behold 2 locals with DRFC shirts on. and they are Tuareg.

Bloody hell WildRover!!! Now that is one place that is absolutely at the top of my 'want to go' list. Is that tree still there? I guess you'll know the one I'm on about? The one that is further from any other tree than any other in the world. It got smacked into by a Frenchamn driving a LandRover or summat in the 60's, but survived. But I don't know if it's still there now. Always wanted to see that tree I have.

If you have the time, and the inclination, would you PM me? I'd really appreciate anything you'd care to tell me about the place, the people, the customs and the arboreal scenery.

As for Tuareg wearing DRFC shirts, whilst I'm chuffed for the Rovers, I'm appalled for the Tuareg. What would Lawrence have said......?

Cheers

BobG

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 09, 2010, 10:15:50 pm by RobTheRover »
I think he said \"Well, if its between Donny and Brighton for the drop, I hope its Donny\"

Oh, you said Lawrence, not Lawrenson!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 09, 2010, 10:46:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BobG wrote:

What would Lawrence have said......?

Jamie? He'd have said, \"No man, I don't do de armed robbery skank like, these days. I is a born-again Christian.\"

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 09, 2010, 10:50:30 pm by not on facebook »
one player who was not arsed about his pineapple head was the rovers lawrence

unlike the dim wit at forest who let it get on top of himsen

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 10, 2010, 12:14:51 am by RobTheRover »
Jason Lee.

I'll slways remember the Baddiel and Skinner gag on Fantasy Football League where Jason Lee asked the FA to change the size and shape of the goalposts to match where his shots went! :D

maremaria

« Reply #17 on January 01, 2011, 01:50:33 pm by maremaria »
No Filo, Mirsad Bubalovic never played for Red Star. He played for Hajduk Split but I believe that several other Red Star players have.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012