Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:06:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Anybody remember this?  (Read 3511 times)

RoversDave

• VSC Member
Anybody remember this?
« on July 22, 2010, 08:37:25 am by RoversDave »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Ldr

• Forum Member
Re:Anybody remember this?
« Reply #1 on July 22, 2010, 08:55:06 am by Ldr »
Fellows park Walsall?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 22, 2010, 09:02:54 am by The Red Baron »
Definitely Fellows Park. At a guess I'd say 1981-2 season. Both teams needed a draw to stay up in the old Division Three and- hey presto!- the final result was 0-0. Rather a nervy second half, though, as Rovers should have been 3-up by the break.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 22, 2010, 09:06:46 pm by RobTheRover »
Is that Dennis in goal?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 22, 2010, 09:28:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
RobTheRover wrote:
Is that Dennis in goal?

Aye, and I reckon he's levitating in that last picture.

Them were more innocent days, eh? That BRMB Radio banner looks like it were painted by a groundsman with limited time/ability. And you just know the copper in picture 2 is going to stroll over and say, \"Come on then. Let's get off the pitch and back into the stands\" instead of rugby tackling the nearest kid to him and spraying CS gas up his chuff like they would today.

Wokingviking

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 22, 2010, 09:59:56 pm by Wokingviking »
The new(!) ground (Bescot?) was one of the first new 'uns rather like Scunny's Glanford Park and is not that far from the old which is now a housing estate but has a plaque there.  The new ground is almost right next to the M6/5 can't remember which.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 22, 2010, 10:16:50 pm by The Red Baron »
If it was the game I was thinking of, it wouldn't be Dennis in goal- he'd gone to Bolton by then. In any case, as the goalie is wearing red socks, I'd say it was the Walsall 'keeper Ron Green.

Rovers' keeper in that match was Steve Humphries, Glenn's older brother. Rest of the side was Billy Russell, Glenn Humphries, Steve Lister, Graham Cawthorne, Clive Wigginton, Daral Pugh, Gary Liddell, Stewart Mell, Glynn Snodin and Alan \"Animal\" Little. From memory Mell missed a hatful of chances. He was the Lewis Guy of his day- plenty of pace but not the best of finishers.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 22, 2010, 10:18:58 pm by The Red Baron »
Wokingviking wrote:
The new(!) ground (Bescot?) was one of the first new 'uns rather like Scunny's Glanford Park and is not that far from the old which is now a housing estate but has a plaque there.  The new ground is almost right next to the M6/5 can't remember which.

It's next to the M6, but as it is the point where the M5 joins the M6, you're right on both counts.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 22, 2010, 11:52:32 pm by Standanista »
Good keeper, Steve Humphries.  I remember him saving a penalty in a League Cup game at Selhurst Park that same season, on a cold Tuesday school night, only for the ref to order it retaken.  Palace were then a league above us, and after beating them 1-0 at Belle Vue, we'd gone down scenting an upset.  Alas, we lost 2-0.

Would be interested to see the respective records of him and Willy Boyd that season.  Boyd was originally first choice but missed quite a few from injury, with Steve Humphries an able back-up.

While on the Humphries brothers, whatever happened to Glenn?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 23, 2010, 12:01:45 am by BobG »
I was at that match too Standa. And the one at BV where we won 1-0. I had a mate at work who was a Palace fan - so we went to both. I thought  at the time that we didn't deserve to lose overall. Not sure we deserved to win either mind! Still, I also was at that famous victory over Palace, the team of the eighties and Malcolm Allison and all, at BV before we went on to play Hull City and Tottenham in the League Cup. Bloody good game that one against the Fedora clad one. 2-1 wasn't it?

Anyroad, what you doing back in Simon Bolivar land? Thought you'd retired to Norfolk or somewhere?! Met any interesting civic dignitaries yet? :):)

Cheers

BobG

retford rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 23, 2010, 12:24:26 am by retford rover »
the palace game was the the same day the bomb went off in the
wimpy bar i think in Oxford street deternated by the IRA  killing numrerous people, we were on the supporters buses which got stuck in all the traffic, so it was free for all to get to Selhurst park before kick of, some did not get there till about 20 mis in,   just got in when Alan Warboys i beleieve  gave the penalty away after 3 minutes, only for Humps to save it, and the ref making them take it to score.
i remember it well shame nowdays cant remember what happened yesterday, thats age for you.

BLIR

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 23, 2010, 01:28:40 am by BLIR »
I think I might have some issues with my memory. It staggers me that posters on here can remember specific games from 20/30/40 years ago - where the game was, what the score was, who the manager was, who the keeper (and indeed the whole team sometimes), who played well, who scored, the name of the ref etc etc etc.

I must have gone to probably 15 home games last season but struggle to remember the results, let alone who scored.

I'm not thick by any means, and if someone reminds me I can remember goals and pertinent points from games.

Do I need to see a doctor, or is everyone else an anorak?

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 23, 2010, 08:52:21 am by CusworthRovers »
I'm same as you Big fella.

I also cannot remember scorers or refs or who was sub from last year. I remember the overall picture, but not specifics like many do.

I think it's called selective memory. I choose not to digest the minute specifics of a football match. It might wear me down, with all that's in my head.

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 23, 2010, 10:57:29 am by Dr Fundlekrotch »
TRB is a football statistician, though, so I would expect him to have the stats at his fingertips.  If you want to seem impressive at parties, carry a copy of Tony Bluffs Rovers stats-based book that came out in around 2000

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 23, 2010, 04:36:29 pm by roversdude »
was that the palace game where one of our wellknown faces kept appearing in palace end - me and a few lads went on the train, coming back it was full of geordies (i think they had got knocked out by fulham) we were caking ourselves but ended up gettind p*ssed with the skirt wearing northern boys

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 24, 2010, 03:43:00 am by RobTheRover »
The Red Baron wrote:
If it was the game I was thinking of, it wouldn't be Dennis in goal- he'd gone to Bolton by then. In any case, as the goalie is wearing red socks, I'd say it was the Walsall 'keeper Ron Green.

Rovers' keeper in that match was Steve Humphries, Glenn's older brother. Rest of the side was Billy Russell, Glenn Humphries, Steve Lister, Graham Cawthorne, Clive Wigginton, Daral Pugh, Gary Liddell, Stewart Mell, Glynn Snodin and Alan \"Animal\" Little. From memory Mell missed a hatful of chances. He was the Lewis Guy of his day- plenty of pace but not the best of finishers.

Cheers Baroni, I thought it looked like Dennis, but then again it didnt look quite right.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 27, 2010, 05:43:23 pm by Standanista »
BobG wrote:
I was at that match too Standa. And the one at BV where we won 1-0. I had a mate at work who was a Palace fan - so we went to both. I thought  at the time that we didn't deserve to lose overall. Not sure we deserved to win either mind! Still, I also was at that famous victory over Palace, the team of the eighties and Malcolm Allison and all, at BV before we went on to play Hull City and Tottenham in the League Cup. Bloody good game that one against the Fedora clad one. 2-1 wasn't it?

Anyroad, what you doing back in Simon Bolivar land? Thought you'd retired to Norfolk or somewhere?! Met any interesting civic dignitaries yet? :):)

Cheers

BobG

Hey Bob!  No escape from Simon Bolívar land.  He is the one civic dignitary of any great stature that it may be possible to meet here - I gather Chávez has just dug him up!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 27, 2010, 11:52:17 pm by BobG »
Now that's an idea worth conjuring with :) Could start a revolution that. Ha ha ha! I was remembering your escapade of a few years back now when you were chatting up the Mayor's daughter (or was it the local drug inspired bandido?) and began moving in 'high society'. Surprised you've risked going back!

Cheers

Bob

TinyPortal © 2005-2012