Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:03:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Horton a strong forward option  (Read 2044 times)

1-0 to the Doncaster

• Forum Member
Horton a strong forward option
« on December 08, 2021, 01:46:40 pm by 1-0 to the Doncaster »
Part of the answer to our goal scoring issues may actually be within our existing squad.
Horton used to play in a more advanced role and is a proven goalscorer.
it makes sense to either put him in that advanced left side role or even as no 10.
As we saw last night, simple running at players and having a shot proved fruitful.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Horton a strong forward option
« Reply #1 on December 08, 2021, 02:06:00 pm by Alan Southstand »
When did he used to play further forward? He was always left back or left CB for both the U18’s and when we had the U23’s.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 04:08:52 pm by Alan Southstand »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 08, 2021, 03:13:40 pm by Campsall rover »
When did he used to play further forward? He was always left back or left CB for both the U28’s and when we had the U23’s.
He is in the U28’s now Alan except for Tommy Rowe.  ;) 

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 08, 2021, 04:09:13 pm by Alan Southstand »
Corrected. Thanks.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 08, 2021, 04:34:00 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Both of his finishes were expertly taken though. Shows that he does have some natural talent for goalscoring. Even the tap in against Mansfield wasn't that easy. He had to concentrate and could have easily fluffed that under pressure of an open goal, and then the defender was sliding in and Horton had the nous to dink the ball into the net when some would have just sidefooted it and possibly hit the defenders leg.

The strike last night was absolute quality. Came forward with the ball and made a decision to take it on and great strike. Horton could be a potential goals outlet that has just revealed itself in front of our eyes in these past few games.

A Donny lad too. Really hope he can kick on, sort out his defensive decision making, which will come in time with more experience.

Enjoyed the goal last night and it was totally unexpected.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 08, 2021, 05:10:38 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
After the last few games I do think he should be played further forward. Took both of his goals well and isn’t afraid to run at players but defensively he hasn’t been great. He had a nightmare in the first half last night and he’s also had other games like that (Rotherham against Sadlier another one).

Only problem atm is that we haven’t really got anyone else who can play LB because we need Rowe further forward with the players we have out injured.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 08, 2021, 05:47:46 pm by scawsby steve »
I'd heard a lot of good reports about Ben Blythe, and last night was the first time I'd seen him.

I thought he was really poor, and was relieved when he was subbed.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 08, 2021, 06:25:18 pm by RugbyRover »
After the last few games I do think he should be played further forward. Took both of his goals well and isn’t afraid to run at players but defensively he hasn’t been great. He had a nightmare in the first half last night and he’s also had other games like that (Rotherham against Sadlier another one).

Only problem atm is that we haven’t really got anyone else who can play LB because we need Rowe further forward with the players we have out injured.

If it were me I'd either play TR in front of him in a 442

OR

Play Horton ahead of a proper fullback (or maybe Olowu even).

ATM he looks bad defensively because Hiluwa does next to nothing to give him some cover.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 08, 2021, 06:27:27 pm by RugbyRover »
I'd heard a lot of good reports about Ben Blythe, and last night was the first time I'd seen him.

I thought he was really poor, and was relieved when he was subbed.

He did look lost. But the whole team looked like they had been thrown together. Better things to come from him I hope.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 08, 2021, 06:45:19 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Horton doesn't have the movement on the ball to be a decent winger. Improving defensively and focusing on that will be more beneficial.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 08, 2021, 06:50:35 pm by The Beast »
Horton doesn't have the movement on the ball to be a decent winger. Improving defensively and focusing on that will be more beneficial.
Needs to get on the weights and try and improve his explosiveness, you look at full backs now such as Reece James and Trent, absolute units!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 08, 2021, 10:47:36 pm by drfchound »
Needs to get on the weights and try and improve his explosiveness, you look at full backs now such as Reece James and Trent, absolute units!

Not really fair comparisons though.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 09, 2021, 07:32:00 am by The Beast »

Not comparing him, just saying he needs to build himself up like them, still a but lightweight.
Would be better defensively if he had some protection like RugbyRover says.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 09, 2021, 07:51:24 am by roversdude »
He’s bulked up quite a bit since last year imo
Tough game for Blythe to come in for especially from the start, hopefully it’s not dented his confidence

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 09, 2021, 08:08:51 am by GazLaz »

Not comparing him, just saying he needs to build himself up like them, still a but lightweight.
Would be better defensively if he had some protection like RugbyRover says.

I think lightweight is one thing he definitely isn’t. Miles in front of the other academy lads physically.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 09, 2021, 09:25:23 pm by The Beast »
He’s 21 now, needs to build his legs up in my opinion.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012