Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:24:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ched Evans to sign for oldham  (Read 64809 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Ched Evans to sign for oldham
« on January 04, 2015, 12:20:18 pm by normal rules »
Fresh from the refusal to allow Evans a trip to Malta due to his registered sex offender status, news just out that Evans is to sign for Oldham.
I can't imagine Oldham are flush with high profile sponsors and or celebrities that will proclaim their disgust at this decision.

Even so, Oldham are going to be bringing a lot of bad pr their way.

Wonder what they hope to achieve through this.
 I'm not getting into the discussion as to if he should be allowed to play football or not , thats a wholly individual opinion.
He's been convicted, he's done his time etc etc.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Ched Evans to sign for oldham
« Reply #1 on January 04, 2015, 12:24:34 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It'll make Rover's next match interesting.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 04, 2015, 12:34:14 pm by The Red Baron »
Very! I expect there will be more than the usual media coverage next Saturday.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 04, 2015, 12:35:55 pm by glosterred »
Doubt he will be fit enough to play, but that should not stop the usual chants

COYR

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 04, 2015, 01:46:01 pm by graingrover »
There is an official denial on Oldham site .. he will not be signing nor training with them.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 04, 2015, 01:49:53 pm by Dare to dream! »
Barnsley then?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:52:13 pm by Dare to dream! »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 04, 2015, 01:51:19 pm by IDM »
There is an official denial on Oldham site .. he will not be signing nor training with them.

Where?  Not on the latest news pages of their OS?  They had denied this before, but the OP news is from today.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 04, 2015, 02:01:14 pm by mushRTID »
The official denial was from the beginning of December. It looks like they have changed their mind.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 04, 2015, 02:42:12 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Doubt he will be fit enough to play, but that should not stop the usual chants

COYR

No doubt from many who've been protesting that Evans should be treated as innocent....

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 04, 2015, 02:43:20 pm by RedArmy »
If he scores and celebrates in front of the Rovers fans next week who will no doubt be hurling abuse at him all game, im sure it will cause trouble. I wouldnt put it past a waste of sperm such as himself.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 04, 2015, 03:26:47 pm by i_ateallthepies »
can't see him going straight into the team, he can't possibly be match fit.  Might be on bench and used late on if they're cruising or chasing the game.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 04, 2015, 04:34:52 pm by drfc1951 »
Didn't Oldham sign Lee Hughes after his release from prison or am I mistaken.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 04, 2015, 05:19:14 pm by normal rules »
Understandable outpouring of rage on Oldham forum. 93 % against it. Lots saying they will return season tickets if it happens.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 04, 2015, 05:19:45 pm by RoversAlias »
They did, then we tried to sign him when he started scoring goals for them.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 04, 2015, 08:08:30 pm by Askern_reds »
Said on news 8.000 on internet against this move, there average crowd what 4.000? So say 50% for , then same for against , so that leaves 2.000,at a guess? So 6000 thousand jumped on the bandwagon? So if they don't go to watch them play why sighn such pet ions

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 04, 2015, 09:25:58 pm by IDM »
Where do you get 50% for from?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 04, 2015, 10:14:04 pm by RobTheRover »
10% "for" maximum, I'd say.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 04, 2015, 10:55:21 pm by IDM »
Said on news 8.000 on internet against this move, there average crowd what 4.000? So say 50% for , then same for against , so that leaves 2.000,at a guess? So 6000 thousand jumped on the bandwagon? So if they don't go to watch them play why sighn such pet ions

All clubs have thousands of dormant fans though Askern.  We took around 20000 to Cardiff, and 25000 ish to Wembley, so with a current "core" of 5000 ish home fans, we have a potential 20000 to piss off should we ever associate ourselves with Evans (until he clears his name).

I am sure the same thought process could apply with Oldham or any other club?

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 05, 2015, 02:06:23 pm by Dare to dream! »
Now being reported that Oldham have pulled out of the deal. I can't see him finding a club that will sign him in the league. He will probably have to drop down to non league football and rebuild his reputation as a goalscorer
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:21:39 pm by Dare to dream! »

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 05, 2015, 02:20:41 pm by Jenny »
The Oldham cause intrigues me. I guess their main stand sponsors weren't involved with the club when they signed convicted killer Lee Hughes?

What makes Ched so special? Plenty of ex cons have come back into the game, convicted killers, convicted child killers.... Is it because he has shown no remorse? Which he would be foolish to do whilst the case is heading to appeal anyway...

All very bizarre.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 05, 2015, 02:29:10 pm by The Red Baron »
I presume your thinking of Hughes and McCormick. In both cases they expressed remorse, although their signings were not without opposition.

I agree that in Evans' case he can't show remorse because he's still protesting his innocence and his case is under review. But for me it isn't really appropriate for him to be re-launching his football career until the review process and any appeal arising is complete.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 05, 2015, 02:37:06 pm by Jenny »
Oh I agree, I think he should concentrate on clearing his name rather than re-launching his career...

I am thinking of Hughes and McCormick, and other criminal footballers. Whilst there signings were not without opposition the backlash was nothing like what we are seeing with Ched. In my opinion it is quite strange - I would say that what he did was certainly no worse than driving a car whilst drunk and killing two children.

I wonder how many sponsors pulled out of clubs that Marlon King played for? His list of offences is longer than my arm:

Wounding
Assault
Credit card fraud
Fraudulent use of driving licence
Theft
Obtaining property by criminal deception
Criminal damage
Handling stolen cars
Unprovoked attack (and another assault)
Sexual assault
ABH

I would say even if he had shown remorse the fact that he has committed so many crimes shows that he didn't mean it!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 05, 2015, 02:38:39 pm by the vicar »
Understandable outpouring of rage on Oldham forum. 93 % against it. Lots saying they will return season tickets if it happens.
so they don't mind a murderer but draw a line at rape or so called rape that is shit

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 05, 2015, 02:42:37 pm by silent majority »
If he removed his website that would help!

A good piece by David Conn here;

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/05/ched-evans-victim-website

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 05, 2015, 02:46:26 pm by IDM »
so they don't mind a murderer but draw a line at rape or so called rape that is shit

Who was the murderer?  If you mean Hughes he was convicted of causing death by dangerous driving, for which he did not appeal, served his time, apologised, and lives with his guilt.  Not a murderer though...

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 05, 2015, 02:51:29 pm by Askern_reds »
Surely he must be allowed to train with a club ? Until his appeal case is herd? Then if he loses and shows remorse could he return to play? And if he wins who's gunna foot the bill for his compensation ? Because surely somebody's gotta coff up? Ed millerband chiping his oar in , bit rich for a politiction? Hate to think how many of them been perverting about over the years?

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 05, 2015, 02:52:10 pm by drfc1951 »
If Evans is out on licence then there must be conditions to that, I would have thought he would be tagged and have a curfew in place.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 05, 2015, 02:56:05 pm by IDM »
The Oldham cause intrigues me. I guess their main stand sponsors weren't involved with the club when they signed convicted killer Lee Hughes?

What makes Ched so special? Plenty of ex cons have come back into the game, convicted killers, convicted child killers.... Is it because he has shown no remorse? Which he would be foolish to do whilst the case is heading to appeal anyway...

All very bizarre.

Jenny, have a look at the statements around Lee Hughes when he was signed by Oldham.

In respect of Evans, "whilst the case is heading to appeal" means that should be his focus, get that done first BEFORE coming back to football.  I think that is a fair philosophy to go by, without making any comment on the interpretation of the original trial etc.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 05, 2015, 02:57:59 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Surely he must be allowed to train with a club ? Until his appeal case is herd? Then if he loses and shows remorse could he return to play? And if he wins who's gunna foot the bill for his compensation ? Because surely somebody's gotta coff up? Ed millerband chiping his oar in , bit rich for a politiction? Hate to think how many of them been perverting about over the years?

He is allowed to train with a club. All he has to do is find a club willing to take him on. You can't force a club to have him.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 05, 2015, 03:05:08 pm by Askern_reds »
Or ok? Didn't no that Glyn I'm surprised no one takeing him up on that then just incase he wins? Or would it generate the same responcce what we seeing now?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012