Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:23:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Get those two strikers in asap!  (Read 34148 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Get those two strikers in asap!
« Reply #60 on August 03, 2019, 11:19:47 pm by NickDRFC »
NewDonny - 6 out of your last 10 posts have been defending or bigging up Sadlier. I thought at times last year that Sadlier had a big impact and I think he could have a bigger one this year, but you can see why people might think you have a vested interest given the amount of time you spend talking about him. Perhaps you need to be a bit more subtle going forward ;)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on August 03, 2019, 11:20:19 pm by Pancho Regan »
Halliday in the first half were crap, he kept getting caught out of position and allowing attacks into the box

Totally disagree. He was a very solid right back, I’m happy we have that position sorted.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on August 03, 2019, 11:44:43 pm by StocktonRover »
NewDonny - 6 out of your last 10 posts have been defending or bigging up Sadlier. I thought at times last year that Sadlier had a big impact and I think he could have a bigger one this year, but you can see why people might think you have a vested interest given the amount of time you spend talking about him. Perhaps you need to be a bit more subtle going forward ;)

It’s all down to opinions. I think Sadlier  will have a great impact this season. That finish today was sublime.
As the team develops and gets organised he will have a huge role just behind the main strikers and will contribute with his share of goals and link up.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 12:36:18 am by StocktonRover »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on August 04, 2019, 08:25:59 am by steve@dcfd »
It is all about opinions yes if Wilks, Kane, Coppinger and Marquis had been the front four today we would been far better side going forward.
Today we started with Copps and three understudies, we need better if we are going to anywhere near the top six in this league.
Let’s hope the players we are going for are better.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 04, 2019, 08:43:10 am by Campsall rover »
It is all about opinions yes if Wilks, Kane, Coppinger and Marquis had been the front four today we would been far better side going forward.
Today we started with Copps and three understudies, we need better if we are going to anywhere near the top six in this league.
Let’s hope the players we are going for are better.
So you are saying Sadlier isn’t good enough to play in our front 3?
If that’s your opinion fair enough but i don’t think you will get many people agreeing with you.
He will be a massive player for us this season and i think he will score at least 12 league goals

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 04, 2019, 08:51:58 am by Donny Exile in York »
We lacked thought, physicality and movement in the final third, until Ennis added movement after he came on.

Still a bit of work to do, obviously. A better team would have put the Gills to the sword.

Then watch Sadlier's movement in the box to make time and space for our goal then, how's that for "thought & movement" for you.

**** **** I despair at some poeple on here!

I do suspect that you are a close relative of Sadlier.

It was a great finish but he isn’t a natural number nine type of CF.
We need someone to hold the ball up and bring others into play.

You can think what you want but you would still be a country mile away. I love watching wonderful talent but get very irritated by so called armchair footballers/keyboard warriors that clearly have no clu and simply want to find fault in the players on the pitch all the time.

Please read again what I have said in some of my recent pots instead off concentrating on what you want to say and or interpret what I write. Sadlier is not a striker and definitely not a CF but has given us two great shifts in there and a terrific goal today with his excellent movement and finish. I can only deduce that you have either not been to a game recently or if you have you cannot have concentrated very well as his hold up/link up play has been excellent when its into his feet and he brings others around him into play.

Were you there, do you need to concentrate better?

One game was a friendly ffs.. you cant read too much into them.. yes he has played well.  He is integral to our team but what's the problem.. everyone can see we are light up front.. we were in regards strength in depth last season before Wilks and Marquis left.. mid winter if Marquis had got injured we had no one to lead the line.. what the problem with acquiring two proven goalscorers hopefully to add to what we already have.. I despair sometimes I really do to paraphrase someone.. you can never have enough striking options.. and let's utilise Sadliers creative talents to play players in as much as his ability to shoot from distance also.  Would someone good in the air or quick complement this.. of course.. so what's the problem or beef in us acquiring some proven forwards ffs..

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on August 04, 2019, 09:04:11 am by Lesonthewest »
Having not seen any pre-season games my take on the game is that we look weaker at right back, left back & centre half. Halliday was pulled out of position several times first half, James looks steady but is not as physical or as strong as Danny Andrew, & Baptiste shouldn't be anywhere near the first team when everyone is fit, slow, jumps too early for headers with the ball going in all directions when he wins one, he will be found wanting in this league. Think we were spoilt having Butler who very rarely missed a header. Lots of potential though & I'm sure we will improve as the players bed in & we bring in a few more. Like the way we play & really enjoyed the second half performance.

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on August 04, 2019, 09:06:45 am by WheatleyRover »
Halliday in the first half were crap, he kept getting caught out of position and allowing attacks into the box

Totally disagree. He was a very solid right back, I’m happy we have that position sorted.

So you disagree their were a few occasions yesterday he was completely out of position and invited attacks into the box! I didn't say he isn't a good player, but in the first half yesterday he was bordering on being a liability, but i'm sure this will improve only being the first game.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:08:59 am by WheatleyRover »

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 04, 2019, 09:17:55 am by Donny Exile in York »
Agree Les, we could have been 3 goals down before we scored and a better team would have finished us off. We looked far more comfortable second half.

First half it was noticable how other than Whitenan, Coppinger and Lawlor we were basically playing our squad players / reserves from last season, albeit the likes of Anderson and Sadlier did have a positive impact on the team when playing, and Sadlier needed a good pre season after playing in Ireland. I wasnt enamoured by either full back to be honest. Definitely think there is potential for the team to develop this season but we do need some first team quality additions to make us stronger for the marathon that the season is.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 04, 2019, 09:47:04 am by Retdon1 »

So you disagree their were a few occasions yesterday he was completely out of position and invited attacks into the box! I didn't say he isn't a good player, but in the first half yesterday he was bordering on being a liability, but i'm sure this will improve only being the first game.

This is the way I saw things too, he got caught massively out of position on at least 3 occasions in the 1st half, we were lucky gillingham didn’t take advantage, that’s on top of him giving the ball away several times. He did improve in the 2nd half

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 04, 2019, 09:55:24 am by andyst79 »
We lacked thought, physicality and movement in the final third, until Ennis added movement after he came on.

Still a bit of work to do, obviously. A better team would have put the Gills to the sword.

Then watch Sadlier's movement in the box to make time and space for our goal then, how's that for "thought & movement" for you.

The finish was sublime, but after watching the goal again the movement was absolutely quality, a lot of players would have stopped after making the initial run but he checked back and got in front of the marker. Copps ball was world class to be fair

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 04, 2019, 10:35:57 am by RoversAlias »
Andrew and Blair used to get pulled all over the place defensively, I wouldn't say yesterday was any example of us being weaker in those positions. Halliday was very good going forward and James quite steady, it was only the first game with an all-new back line due to Wright getting injured. Think some are being harsh on them, and Baptiste, in this thread.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 04, 2019, 10:36:05 am by Jonathan »
On the subject of the strikers, I felt the way we set up there’s a need for a real target man type. Someone with the physical attributes to make the ball stick up there, battle the centre halves and bring others in. Even if that player doesn’t bang in 15 goals on his own, it’ll be interesting to see if we get a bit of that. Sadlier did a commendable job trying to cover that role but it’s not his game, and I’m excited to see how he gets on when we get him in and around the box facing goal. I can’t remember seeing a better striker of the ball for some time. I honestly think he can get well into double figures when we find his position.

The other missing piece of the jigsaw up top is the pace to run in behind and stretch the defence, although Ennis looked like he can do a bit of that.

If, between the two strikers that we’re reported to be adding, we can add that combination of physicality, pace and goals then I think we’ll be well placed, even if we don’t necessarily have one individual that bags as many as Marquis did.

Listening to Darren Moore’s interview, it sounds like the situation is the same as reported towards the end of last week. The bids are in and it’s a case of agreeing terms and fighting off competition. He hinted he’d like to have them in and ready for Rochdale. I do hope that’s the case. Some rumours kicking about that one was watching the game yesterday. Let’s hope for positive news very soon.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on August 04, 2019, 10:49:24 am by Filo »
On the subject of the strikers, I felt the way we set up there’s a need for a real target man type. Someone with the physical attributes to make the ball stick up there, battle the centre halves and bring others in. Even if that player doesn’t bang in 15 goals on his own, it’ll be interesting to see if we get a bit of that. Sadlier did a commendable job trying to cover that role but it’s not his game, and I’m excited to see how he gets on when we get him in and around the box facing goal. I can’t remember seeing a better striker of the ball for some time. I honestly think he can get well into double figures when we find his position.

The other missing piece of the jigsaw up top is the pace to run in behind and stretch the defence, although Ennis looked like he can do a bit of that.

If, between the two strikers that we’re reported to be adding, we can add that combination of physicality, pace and goals then I think we’ll be well placed, even if we don’t necessarily have one individual that bags as many as Marquis did.

Listening to Darren Moore’s interview, it sounds like the situation is the same as reported towards the end of last week. The bids are in and it’s a case of agreeing terms and fighting off competition. He hinted he’d like to have them in and ready for Rochdale. I do hope that’s the case. Some rumours kicking about that one was watching the game yesterday. Let’s hope for positive news very soon.

I did see Leo Fortune West walk across the car park yesterday 😂😂😂

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on August 04, 2019, 12:00:56 pm by Barmby Rover »
It is too early to judge any of the players, or the squad, yet. Give them a couple of weeks to train together, fix their roles in certain situations and the whole team will improve a lot. More additions will be welcome, but I would be happy if the current squad became more integrated. That disjointed feel, particularly in the first half will disappear I hope. Rovers will improve on that during the season, I don't think Gillingham will.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on August 04, 2019, 12:10:34 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Disjointed says it about right.  Too early to judge but on that showing neither fullback is better than last season and Baptiste barely won a defensive header.  They all improved 2nd half.
Liked the look of Ennis.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on August 04, 2019, 12:27:45 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
This lad from Gainsborough Trinity could do a job!  :woot:

https://twitter.com/HarryMiddleton_/status/1157942430001508353

vid attached.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 04, 2019, 12:58:42 pm by drfchound »

I do suspect that you are a close relative of Sadlier.

It was a great finish but he isn’t a natural number nine type of CF.
We need someone to hold the ball up and bring others into play.

You can think what you want but you would still be a country mile away. I love watching wonderful talent but get very irritated by so called armchair footballers/keyboard warriors that clearly have no clu and simply want to find fault in the players on the pitch all the time.

Please read again what I have said in some of my recent pots instead off concentrating on what you want to say and or interpret what I write. Sadlier is not a striker and definitely not a CF but has given us two great shifts in there and a terrific goal today with his excellent movement and finish. I can only deduce that you have either not been to a game recently or if you have you cannot have concentrated very well as his hold up/link up play has been excellent when its into his feet and he brings others around him into play.

Were you there, do you need to concentrate better?

ND, let’s get a few things straight eh.
I was at the game, I am a season ticket holder and have been for many years.I am not an armchair footballer, in fact I still play every week and I am approaching 67 years of age.
I am not a keyboard warrior.
I am not one of those fans who criticises the players on the pitch although I will make observations on how I think they have played, like all fans do.

As a former CF that position is one that I know much about playing and i have already said that Sadlier did well but that it isn’t his natural position and that in my opinion we need better.

I have also said that I think that Sadlier will probably be a big player for us this season.

However he isn’t the silky genius that you are portraying him to be (yet).

I can assure you that I have no problem with Sadlier, in fact I rate him highly, but he is not the man to lead the line for us all season.
We need better to do that.

As others have said, many of your last posts have been about bigging Sadlier up.
If you are not him or a close friend or relative or even a neighbour,  I will be surprised.

There was no need for your condescending comment on my concentration levels either.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 02:58:42 pm by drfchound »

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on August 04, 2019, 01:06:57 pm by Retdon1 »

Heard a few people say the same thing in south stand yesterday. Have a look on gillinghams twitter page at the video of Steve evens after game interview. There’s a bloke in a pink t shirt chatting to Gary mcsheffrey. Can’t make out who it is but could he be a striker ?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on August 04, 2019, 01:16:16 pm by DonnyOsmond »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 04, 2019, 01:16:41 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Oops sorry about the size.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on August 04, 2019, 01:28:40 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Leon Clarke?

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on August 04, 2019, 01:30:50 pm by Retdon1 »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on August 04, 2019, 01:35:44 pm by Filo »
Leon Clarke?

Surely we’re not offering money for a 34 year old

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on August 04, 2019, 01:38:49 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Leon Clarke?

Short term he'd be pretty good.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on August 04, 2019, 01:41:03 pm by Filo »
Leon Clarke?

Short term he'd be pretty good.

On a free, not paying money for him

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on August 04, 2019, 01:43:08 pm by mushRTID »
I’m not sure that’s Clarke.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on August 04, 2019, 01:43:58 pm by the vicar »
Clarke-Harris wasn't in Bristol Rovers squad today.
if he is not good enough for them he surely is not good enough for us, plus he was one of the shitest players to play in a Rovers shirt

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on August 04, 2019, 01:47:46 pm by Dare to dream! »
I’m not sure that’s Clarke.

I don't think it is either.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on August 04, 2019, 01:48:27 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Clarke-Harris wasn't in Bristol Rovers squad today.
if he is not good enough for them he surely is not good enough for us, plus he was one of the shitest players to play in a Rovers shirt

Yeah because players don't improve with time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012