Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:27:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: European super League  (Read 13647 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: European super League
« Reply #30 on April 18, 2021, 08:03:16 pm by Campsall rover »
Don't worry it won't affect us with our board

:zzz: 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 18, 2021, 08:10:24 pm by Copps is Magic »
Simple. Kick out any club who's agreed to join from the English system. If they want to rejoin let them start from the bottom.

Picture the Premier League sitting down to negotiate broadcasting contracts and saying, "Yes! On Super Sunday we will have head to head clashes between our leading 8 sides.
Leicester v Everton
West Ham v Aston Villa
Southampton v Wolves
Leeds v Palace"

I'm struggling to see the broadcasters' response being "Where do we sign?"

And what's the problem? Align the economics with the fans in the stadium and not on the tv and then we'll have a more sustainable game, more relatable to people, and more equitable across the 'pyramid' without massive gaps in attainment.

Anyhow, If you take 6 teams out of the FL, whoever those 6 teams are, it wouldn't even make a dent in the medium term. Clubs/cities who are already big enough (Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham et al.) would become the new 'superstars' through time, it's all relative.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 18, 2021, 08:21:41 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Simple. Kick out any club who's agreed to join from the English system. If they want to rejoin let them start from the bottom.

Picture the Premier League sitting down to negotiate broadcasting contracts and saying, "Yes! On Super Sunday we will have head to head clashes between our leading 8 sides.
Leicester v Everton
West Ham v Aston Villa
Southampton v Wolves
Leeds v Palace"

I can't see the UK broadcasters clamouring to pay to show lots of matches with no British team in them, or ones with the likes of Man Utd in them when they've become meaningless lower-to-midtable matches.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 18, 2021, 08:29:13 pm by Metalmicky »

How about you take a day off.... you and Michael

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 18, 2021, 08:30:40 pm by River Don »

Leicester v Everton
West Ham v Aston Villa
Southampton v Wolves
Leeds v Palace"

And what's the problem? Align the economics with the fans in the stadium and not on the tv and then we'll have a more sustainable game, more relatable to people, and more equitable across the 'pyramid' without massive gaps in attainment.

Anyhow, If you take 6 teams out of the FL, whoever those 6 teams are, it wouldn't even make a dent in the medium term. Clubs/cities who are already big enough (Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham et al.) would become the new 'superstars' through time, it's all relative.

No real reason why Leeds can't be as big as Man City, or Villa as big as Man Utd or West Ham as big as Spurs. They have been at times in the past.

The big six think their brands are unassailable but I don't think that's really true.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on April 18, 2021, 08:39:00 pm by Not Now Kato »
The key to this will be the reaction of the supporters of those clubs and the players of those clubs.

For instance, how will someone like Harry Kane react to being banned from playing for England?

Hmm, a million quid a week or play for England.  Let me think about that for a millisecond!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 18, 2021, 08:39:29 pm by Campsall rover »

How about you take a day off.... you and Michael
A day!!!  A year at least would be preferable.  ;)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 18, 2021, 08:44:38 pm by GazLaz »
It’s just to use as leverage for the Champion's League reform.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 18, 2021, 08:46:44 pm by River Don »
The key to this will be the reaction of the supporters of those clubs and the players of those clubs.

For instance, how will someone like Harry Kane react to being banned from playing for England?

Hmm, a million quid a week or play for England.  Let me think about that for a millisecond!

Not as simple as that. There are a lot of commercial opportunities available to a high profile national team player, that may not be to a high profile player at a lower super league franchise.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on April 18, 2021, 08:46:52 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The point for me is that these games surely become diminished by their frequency? Chelsea Vs Barcelona is fine in a big European game but not so much if it's 2+ times a season. It will quickly become repetitive.  Take the champions League, I don't watch it with it being on bt which I gave up and don't miss.  The final knockout stages are decent in Europe but group games are shite.  Does a league like this have those "oh wow" moments?

Even the local fans, do Liverpool want to play Everton or atletico Madrid?

I do feel a balance would work better but this doesn't to me feel like it works commercially given how football is.  It just doesn't appeal as much surely?

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 18, 2021, 08:54:08 pm by WarwickRover »
What’s this got to do with my team? Absolutely nothing! What’s it got to do with the top teams? Everything As sure as day follows night this will happen

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 18, 2021, 09:17:10 pm by wilts rover »
The Premier League is run by the clubs in it. That's why it was set up. I somehow doubt Man U and the rest are going to vote to kick themselves out of it.

Plus the worldwide tv deals the PL have which rakes the money in for them, I would doubt they would be too happy having extra games of Fulham v West Brom or Burnley v Saints to fill their schedules.

Money and greed is right.

I wonder how the voting rights are set up.
If it was one vote per club and a simple majority was all that is required then perhaps clubs like Villa would welcome the top six gone and give themselves a better chance of winning the league.

All rule changes and matters affecting commercial contracts require a two-thirds, or 14 clubs, majority.

https://www.premierleague.com/about

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 18, 2021, 09:20:48 pm by Janso »
The Premier League is run by the clubs in it. That's why it was set up. I somehow doubt Man U and the rest are going to vote to kick themselves out of it.

Plus the worldwide tv deals the PL have which rakes the money in for them, I would doubt they would be too happy having extra games of Fulham v West Brom or Burnley v Saints to fill their schedules.

If it was one vote per club and a simple majority was all that is required then perhaps clubs like Villa would welcome the top six gone and give themselves a better chance of winning the league.

All rule changes and matters affecting commercial contracts require a two-thirds, or 14 clubs, majority.

Shouldn't be an issue then if only six are going. 20-6 = 14.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 18, 2021, 09:22:39 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

This idea has been floating around since the 80’s. In my view it’s always just been a matter of time. My Spurs supporting mates down here are furious about it. They know the score that their club, in all honestly, doesn’t give a shit about their fans and this just strengthens that view. As they’ve said to me though, what can they do about it? They could stop going to games but they know that their ticket will be taken by a ‘tourist’. As long as there’s a bum on a seat, the club don’t care. I do feel sorry for the real fans of these clubs. The clubs themselves though can go to hell.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 18, 2021, 09:51:46 pm by wilts rover »

Shouldn't be an issue then if only six are going. 20-6 = 14.

Yeah right. The PL tv rights are up for renewal soon. In 2015 they were worth £5.1 billion which fell to £4.5 billion the last time they came up in 2019. How much are they going to be worth without the clubs who attract the biggest tv audiences? How much will the rest have to put ticket prices up to make up that shortfall - whilst the fans will miss games against those six.

Football at that level is just another capitalist business. Has been since the PL & CL came in. And in business money talks.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 18, 2021, 10:07:13 pm by Chris Black come back »
Only silver lining - and it takes a lot to find one - is that Leeds would be nowhere near this and at exactly the time they are hoping to establish themselves in the Premier League.

Unlucky lads!

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on April 18, 2021, 10:16:56 pm by redandwhitearmy »
This will never happen, not in a million years.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on April 18, 2021, 10:20:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Leicester v Everton
West Ham v Aston Villa
Southampton v Wolves
Leeds v Palace"

I'm with you on the principle.

The "problem" is that the EPL's business model is predicated on gorging itself on broadcast income. And that will be decimated if the top 6 clubs aren't in the EPL.

So, my point is that the EPL would never, ever willingly choose to kick those teams out. Because it would mean voting for huge reductions in income.

Of course, they may get no say in the matter if the proposed European league involves the breakaway clubs choosing to leave their domestic leagues...

Regarding the "dent" do you really think the far Eastern broadcasters would pay the same for rights to a decapitated EPL? Do you think anyone in Jakarta would give two f**ks who won the Newcastle-Brighton title decider when there was Liverpool Vs Real Madrid to watch every week?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:23:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on April 18, 2021, 10:21:57 pm by normal rules »
I’m ambivalent about this. In one hand, I feel the top clubs are so far detached from the like of Doncaster Rovers. Some years ago it was said that clubs like Manchester United don’t even need fans to go to Old Trafford as they make so much money from Merch and corporate sponsorship. The like of Rovers could only dream of this.
In the other hand, it will take away what is currently the Zenith of English football. The FA cup will lose its sparkle, as will the league cup. Money will drain away from the leagues. Tv companies will be queuing up for rights to screen these super league games which will no doubt be prime time. EFL will lose out. English football simply won’t be the same ever again.
And what of the premiership ? Reduced numbers? A re shuffle of the leagues?
Who knows. Some has speculated this is just pressure to force a re structure of champions lge football.
Money will determine the future of this, and greed. The FA can jump up and down all they like.I’m unsure if Football clubs have any contract with the FA to maintain the status quo. Interesting times ahead.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 18, 2021, 10:34:37 pm by Chris Black come back »
It’s ultimately a battle between a load of greedy people about how much cash they can shove down their necks as quickly as possible.

To have EPL as some kind of moral conscience of the game is about as credible as that clueless oaf in Downing Street being a defender of the working class.

End result will no doubt be some compromise where EPL and this group get to carve up more money between themselves, to expense of rest of the game.

The irony of Gary Neville delivering his rant from behind a Sky Sports microphone was almost too much to take.

German rules of 49 per cent fan ownership has so far effectively stopped German clubs joining this circus side show. Does go to show that ownership matters. Aside from Spurs, rest of the English sides in this plan are all very much foreign owned. We’ve willingly allowed all this to happen.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 18, 2021, 10:43:04 pm by normal rules »
It’s ultimately a battle between a load of greedy people about how much cash they can shove down their necks as quickly as possible.

To have EPL as some kind of moral conscience of the game is about as credible as that clueless oaf in Downing Street being a defender of the working class.

End result will no doubt be some compromise where EPL and this group get to carve up more money between themselves, to expense of rest of the game.

The irony of Gary Neville delivering his rant from behind a Sky Sports microphone was almost too much to take.

German rules of 49 per cent fan ownership has so far effectively stopped German clubs joining this circus side show. Does go to show that ownership matters. Aside from Spurs, rest of the English sides in this plan are all very much foreign owned. We’ve willingly allowed all this to happen.

To be fair to Neville he admitted there is lots of money in football, some of which he has, and is, still making a living from. The real irony is half of the English clubs proposing this are not even in the Champions League this season now. The creation of a league with no relegation and therefore no penalty for being poor is just wrong. It goes against everything football is.
If it happens, wouldn’t it be great if supporters of those teams just boycotted it, and the whole country refused to pay a penny to watch any of it. Now that would be something.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 18, 2021, 10:46:56 pm by Chris Black come back »
If it proceeds, lots of people will watch it.

The same people who think all that matters is who signs Haaland, Mbappe etc and spending money on these players is all that matters. Even against winning trophies. The core of the game has shifted and it is the casual observer who doesn’t take a moral view on the game. Football is just another pastime like going to the cinema or watching some bullshit reality TV show.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on April 18, 2021, 10:53:59 pm by Barmby Rover »
You have to be a registered player with the FA to compete in competition in this country, ask any Sunday League player. Deregister any players with these clubs and it effectively bans them from this country. If other countries do the same thing where are they all going to play? Saudi Arabia? China? But if any country hosts them they are banned from the World Cup. Then where do they go? It is about time that governing bodies of the sport stopped bowing down to TV rights people and say no.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on April 18, 2021, 10:54:05 pm by normal rules »
And there is a suggestion that any player in any of the big six IF this league gets off the ground, could be barred from playing in their National Team. Now that would be interesting.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on April 18, 2021, 10:55:45 pm by normal rules »
Super league proposals being bankrolled to the tune of £6bn by American Bank JP Morgan.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on April 18, 2021, 11:01:03 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Has anyone seen the Champions League changes they're voting on tomorrow, it's called the Swiss Model and it allows a few places for clubs that haven't qualified in the league places but have appeared in the CL in recent years. Protects big clubs from lost revenue after a bad season.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on April 18, 2021, 11:16:52 pm by River Don »
Well the official announcement hasn't arrived this evening.

I expect there will be new negotiations with UEFA announced next.

donnyguy

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on April 18, 2021, 11:37:46 pm by donnyguy »
It’s been announced in the last few minutes

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on April 18, 2021, 11:44:19 pm by River Don »
It’s been announced in the last few minutes

Yes, just seen it. UEFA and the national leagues need to act now.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on April 18, 2021, 11:53:12 pm by Janso »
Slap em with a 40 point deduction and fine the Kitsons the whole amount of the prize money they end up winning.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012