Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:43:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Italy vs England Euro2020 Final  (Read 14509 times)

les@donr

• Forum Member
Italy vs England Euro2020 Final
« on July 08, 2021, 04:40:30 am by les@donr »
The final I predicted on the Italy thread on June 14th, most people said I was barking mad of such a prediction. Well done for winning your Semi-final. The biggest test will come on Sunday. History is not on England's side, Italy beat England in Euro1980 and Euro2012. In Euro2020, Italy have yet to concede the 1st goal in a match. It will be a tight game, but predict a win for Italy 2-1.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Re: Italy vs England Euro2020 Final
« Reply #1 on July 08, 2021, 06:43:24 am by sha66y »
Italy have never beaten England in a final!
England 2-0

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 08, 2021, 06:54:10 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think we have now got that monkey off our backs.

We might just see the very best of our players now the pressure of reaching a final has been lifted.

We will need to be at our best as we know Italy will use everything available to them to beat us.

It could be a classic and one that we should savour every minute.

I wasn't really old enough to understand the technicalities of the game in 66 as I just thought it was as simple as England being the best football nation in the world. We had a fantastic four years leading up to 1970. Then it started. Someone didn't read the script. We weren't supposed to get beat because we're England!!??

The rest is history so this time, I'm going to enjoy and savour every minute from now on.

Football has come home regardless of the result.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 07:14:14 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 08, 2021, 07:26:46 am by SydneyRover »
This next game won't have anything to do with what happened years ago, that slate has already been wiped by this manager/team combo, this is our chance to win it, I agree and think we will, this is some bunch of players we have.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 08, 2021, 07:46:06 am by Padge_DRFC »
Dreading going 1 down to these. They'll time waste, roll around, feign injury. They've not changed one bit from what I saw of the last half hour of the Belgium game.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 08, 2021, 07:59:02 am by SydneyRover »
lets hope some in the crown turn up with number cards so they can score any theatrics

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 08, 2021, 08:30:08 am by Padge_DRFC »
Hopefully we get the ref we had v Ukraine.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 08, 2021, 08:32:47 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
England 2-0

England are unbeaten in Major Finals...

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 08, 2021, 08:33:14 am by IDM »

He’s done a fair few games this tournament and would be an excellent choice.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 08, 2021, 10:01:51 am by dickos1 »
Fact Italy haven’t been behind yet could work in our favour
I don’t think it’ll suit them chasing a game

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 08, 2021, 10:02:57 am by SydneyRover »
England 2-0

England are unbeaten in Major Finals...

I'll pay that one

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 08, 2021, 10:25:58 am by River Don »
The final I predicted on the Italy thread on June 14th, most people said I was barking mad of such a prediction. Well done for winning your Semi-final. The biggest test will come on Sunday. History is not on England's side, Italy beat England in Euro1980 and Euro2012. In Euro2020, Italy have yet to concede the 1st goal in a match. It will be a tight game, but predict a win for Italy 2-1.

I didn't think you were barking mad, I put money on Italy to win the tournament after the group stages.

I'm happy now. I will be elated if England win and I won't mind losing my stake at all, if Italy take it, then I can console myself with a small return.

I think this game is too close to call. I'm hoping that with the final being played at Wembley, the English will be able to chanel the emotion of the occasion.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 08, 2021, 10:39:12 am by Metalmicky »

Dr. Felix Brych (German)

I don't think it's been decided who will do the final yet.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 08, 2021, 10:59:30 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Dr. Felix Brych (German)

I don't think it's been decided who will do the final yet.
Didn't he do the Italy Spain semi? Possibly the best refereeing performance I've ever seen.

Walshy

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 08, 2021, 11:06:05 am by Walshy »
As long as it isn't the same one as we had last night because he was horrendous and looked out of his depth. The penalty decision was very soft but the decision to book Harry Maguire for a typical aerial challenge in the first half was ridiculous though.

2-0 to England.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 08, 2021, 11:14:37 am by Filo »
As long as it isn't the same one as we had last night because he was horrendous and looked out of his depth. The penalty decision was very soft but the decision to book Harry Maguire for a typical aerial challenge in the first half was ridiculous though.

2-0 to England.

The pen, there was contact twice from two players, yes probably slightly soft, the one on Kane was stonewall and denied, Maguire’s yellow was never a yellow, and Denmarks free kick for their goal was soft, if thats a free kick then every time that situation occurs there should be a free kick

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 08, 2021, 11:15:07 am by BillyStubbsTears »
The penalty decision was a  shocker and I do wonder what is the point of VAR if it isn't to overturn decisions as bad as that in matches as big as that.

But few sides win tournaments without the odd slice of good luck and England got one last night.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 08, 2021, 11:17:28 am by Filo »
The penalty decision was a  shocker and I do wonder what is the point of VAR if it isn't to overturn decisions as bad as that in matches as big as that.

But few sides win tournaments without the odd slice of good luck and England got one last night.

How are you coping with the Italian relations?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 08, 2021, 11:24:29 am by BillyStubbsTears »

2-0 to England.

The pen, there was contact twice from two players, yes probably slightly soft, the one on Kane was stonewall and denied, Maguire’s yellow was never a yellow, and Denmarks free kick for their goal was soft, if thats a free kick then every time that situation occurs there should be a free kick

I'm on a different page here.

I thought the defender nicked the ball from Kane for that one (admittedly I only saw one replay as I was separating arguing kids at the time).

Maguire's card - refs have been told to penalise leading elbows and that was what Maguire was doing.

Denmark's free kick. Shaw was at it all the match. He had two arms around a Danish player in the six yard box from a corner in the first few minutes. That was a stuck on penalty if the ref had spotted it. If you are going to do that, you are going to get penalised at some point.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 08, 2021, 11:26:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »

How are you coping with the Italian relations?

All perfectly friendly. A bit of banter from the Italians, affecting to not get why getting to a final is such a massive thing. Kids are realising for the first time the benefit of having two nationalities - they can't lose on Sunday.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 08, 2021, 12:18:50 pm by Copps is Magic »
It will be won and lost in the centre midfield. Italy play very fastly through the lines, not on the wings like England. If Phillips and Rice can control Insigne and his compadres I think we can take them deep and do them. England get stronger during games.

If Phillips and Rice really can put in a championship winning performance I will be calling Southgate a genius.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 08, 2021, 12:59:53 pm by DRNaith »
I believe that the ref for the final will not have ref'd a semi-final.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 08, 2021, 01:16:58 pm by River Don »
Hah ha,

One of the Italian papers has written "we don't just score goals, we score goals beautifully."  and "we are a country of beauty, there are no badly dressed Italians, just some Italians who choose not to dress well.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 08, 2021, 01:24:27 pm by Jonathan »

Not really. There wasn’t anything lucky about winning that game, we were the better team.

Penalty was soft but we could’ve had another one that I was surprised VAR didn’t give.

We’ve earned our place in the final, and I will be there. I can’t wait!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 08, 2021, 02:30:54 pm by MachoMadness »
Penalty was a penalty. The one in the second half was also nailed on, not given. And the Danish goal shouldn't have been allowed as their players were too close to our wall. England made their own luck last night.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 08, 2021, 02:51:16 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
It’s going to be a tight, tense affair that’s for sure. The Italians will try every trick in the book to gain a slight advantage. They’re absolute masters in the ‘dark arts’ of football. I’ve never been a fan of the Italian football team. The best thing about them is their kit.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 08, 2021, 03:06:17 pm by drfchound »
It’s alright picking Shaw out as grappling on every free kick and corner as long as you look at every single free kick and corner throughout the whole game for both sides.
It happens at every one. It shouldn’t if course but it does.
Silly to just pick out Shaw for this.

Walshy

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 08, 2021, 03:30:06 pm by Walshy »
It’s alright picking Shaw out as grappling on every free kick and corner as long as you look at every single free kick and corner throughout the whole game for both sides.
It happens at every one. It shouldn’t if course but it does.
Silly to just pick out Shaw for this.

:that:

I think it was a free kick for their goal but the referee had no consistency and that was the biggest problem. On Denmark's first corner he allowed pretty much 15 players to be inside the six yard box with plenty of grappling going on but play didn't stop for any of it.

The decisions evened themselves out by the end luckily and the best team won though.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 08, 2021, 03:48:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My point was that Shaw's grappling stood out like a sore thumb. There is always some contact and some grabbing but much of it is deniable and surreptitious. Shaw had a Danish player in  a bearhug at that first corner while the player he was grabbing clearly wasn't reciprocating. My point is that if you do that, that obviously, you can't moan when the ref picks you up on it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 08, 2021, 03:53:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
As for the Kane penalty, this video shows how tough a decision it was. It's impossible to say whether Kane or the Danish defender make contact with the ball first.

https://clips.clippit.tv/prmbdg/360.mp4?_=1

TinyPortal © 2005-2012