Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:11:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Deadline day deals and observations  (Read 20999 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Deadline day deals and observations
« on August 31, 2021, 09:28:36 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/where-doncaster-rovers-are-at-on-transfer-deadline-day-3365003

Busy day on the phones for alot of people up and down the country.

Done deals or some surprises maybe? Any sightings around the Borough?

Post here with any relevant news as the day progresses.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: Deadline day deals and observations
« Reply #2 on August 31, 2021, 09:46:25 am by normal rules »
Very comforting to see that there may be a few options available.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 31, 2021, 09:54:28 am by drfchound »
If I remember correctly Grigg going to Sunderland was a very late in the transfer deadline day thing.
If it goes down to the wire this time and he decides to come to us then great.
But if it goes down to the wire and he decides not to come to us, will it be too late to clinch a deal with someone else.
I am assuming Grigg is our number one choice but if he doesn’t come here then maybe our second, third etc choices will have signed for other clubs.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 10:03:26 am by drfchound »

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 31, 2021, 09:59:30 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
If I remember correctly Grigg going to Sunderland was a very late in the transfer deadline day thing.
If it goes down to the wire this time and he decides to come to us then great.
But if it goes down to the wire and he d3cides not to come to us, will it be too late to clinch a deal with someone else.
I am assuming Grigg is our number one choice but if he doesn’t come here then maybe our second, third etc choices will have signed for other clubs.

It was, just after we told them Marquis would cost 10 Million...

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 31, 2021, 10:01:21 am by normal rules »
Sunderland have to balance off the fact that he has a year left on contract there so would be eligible for a pay off, perhaps that’s why they are agreeing to subsidise his wages (heavily).

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 31, 2021, 10:08:13 am by selby »
  Danny Hylton and Eaves would do me out of that lot, they have been in our position before and have succeeded in dragging their teams out of the mire by scoring the goals to do so in teams that were not that good.
  And we wouldn't be a nice team for defenders to play against anymore.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 31, 2021, 10:17:51 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Let's face it, every one of the possible targets are a risk given their previous injury record.

There's always a third wheel involved in these deals so whatever happens, it might be out of our control even if the will and finance is there.

Looking elsewhere, I wonder whether Millers will keep hold of Micheal Smith and Owls onto Barry Bannen?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 31, 2021, 10:24:30 am by DearneValleyRover »
  Danny Hylton and Eaves would do me out of that lot, they have been in our position before and have succeeded in dragging their teams out of the mire by scoring the goals to do so in teams that were not that good.

Hylton’s legs have gone not worth the expense

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 31, 2021, 10:34:20 am by selby »
  Since Marquis left we haven't had anyone with legs up front, not any that hit the ball with any venom with the foot on the end of them anyway.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 31, 2021, 10:35:44 am by Metalmicky »

I might be with you on that thought Selby - both are 6'3" (according to wiki) and would give us some strength up front.  However, I'm not sure it is what RW wants - remember we already have a 6'3" striker on the books, who isn't exactly tearing things up.  Perhaps RW wants more pace and directness...?

In addition Hylton hasn't played this year and didn't score last season in his 19 appearances... according to soccerbase.
Eaves has played 4 times this season, but only once as a starter - coming of the bench late on the other 3 times.  He scored 5 in 31 appearances last term - although a lot of those appearances were off the bench also.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 31, 2021, 10:37:53 am by bpoolrover »
Someone reporting jebbison going to burton on loan

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 31, 2021, 10:40:06 am by normal rules »

There was also talk of him going to Sunderland.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 31, 2021, 10:45:33 am by roversdude »
They kept saying Copps legs had gone, Hyltons games was not really based on pace

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 31, 2021, 10:46:30 am by anton123 »
Zohore was a beast for Cardiff

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 31, 2021, 10:50:04 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

There was also talk of him going to Sunderland.

Been speculated since early August. See Rumour Mill.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 31, 2021, 10:54:36 am by Jonathan »
It is a strange approach, as others have said Eaves and Grigg are totally different players and it’s like saying would you like an apple or a parsnip.

Personally I would prefer Eaves, I think he offers more of an all round game and would be a superb acquisition for us. But there are clearly plus points to Grigg too. We’ll see where we get.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 31, 2021, 11:03:54 am by GazLaz »
It is a strange approach, as others have said Eaves and Grigg are totally different players and it’s like saying would you like an apple or a parsnip.

Personally I would prefer Eaves, I think he offers more of an all round game and would be a superb acquisition for us. But there are clearly plus points to Grigg too. We’ll see where we get.

Grigg suited MK because they were the team with the most penalty area entries but had nobody to do the work once they got in front of goal. He offers very little outside the 18 yard box.

We are not that team though.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 31, 2021, 11:08:49 am by normal rules »

Grigg suited MK because they were the team with the most penalty area entries but had nobody to do the work once they got in front of goal. He offers very little outside the 18 yard box.

Agreed. Based on what I’ve seen so far we need a centre forward who can pick the ball up at the half way line, take on two or three players alone and then put it past the keeper, preferably between the posts.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 31, 2021, 11:12:53 am by anton123 »

Agreed. Based on what I’ve seen so far we need a centre forward who can pick the ball up at the half way line, take on two or three players alone and then put it past the keeper, preferably between the posts.
Think tiery Henry has retired mate

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 31, 2021, 11:20:05 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Let's not forget, it will take more than this transfer window to get all RWs preferred pieces together.

Only he will know who's his preferred choice and whether they are the intended to be here for the long haul.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 31, 2021, 11:26:39 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Chicken and egg though? Midfield would argue there's not that movement in the box so hard to make the pass/cross/final ball.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 31, 2021, 11:28:52 am by RoversAlias »
I can see the benefits in signing Zohore or Eaves, both quality "big men" who will surely hold it up better than Bogle and, to date, Cukur.

But I think Grigg is the rightful #1 choice based on how Wellens is wanting us to play. Ae need to break the lines and get chances in the area. Against Portsmouth we constantly got wide, to the byline and had cut-backs into the penalty area. Grigg would be there to put those chances away.

I wouldn't go near Danny Hylton. He has had most of his success in League Two and is not a dynamic player at all.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 31, 2021, 11:31:53 am by Campsall rover »
We have to be very careful with fitness records of some those names.

It is all about the right player now. It is no good getting someone in who will only play 15 games or maybe less and is cropped.

We have had far too many of them recently.  Some of these players sound good on paper but there is usually a reason why they are not getting much game time.

Hilton and Eaves sound great Brian but is that the reality.  Grigg I think has a good fitness record  as far as I know. As you say Brian the physicality of a Hilton or Eaves would be more than welcome.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 31, 2021, 11:51:54 am by GazLaz »

Chicken and egg though? Midfield would argue there's not that movement in the box so hard to make the pass/cross/final ball.

It’s definitely not chicken and the egg. We are not getting the territory in attacking areas to even get close to creating anything.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 31, 2021, 11:54:30 am by TheFunk »
Rob Staton on twitter reporting Grigg deal at this stage is unlikely.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 31, 2021, 12:00:28 pm by GazLaz »
Rob Staton on twitter reporting Grigg deal at this stage is unlikely.

It’s always been said that the deal hinged on Bogle leaving. That must be at least in the “fairly unlikely” bracket at the minute.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 31, 2021, 12:02:34 pm by The Beast »
Personally would like to see Eaves here but there seems to be quite a bit of momentum about him going Pompey.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 31, 2021, 12:07:23 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Lets all accept were not getting anyone in today apart from a young winger.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 31, 2021, 12:17:30 pm by MachoMadness »
As I understand it the Grigg deal now hinges on Sunderland getting someone in. Whether we've found a bit extra down the back of the sofa or Sunderland lowered their demands I'm not sure.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012