Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:20:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Deadline day deals and observations  (Read 20998 times)

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
Re: Deadline day deals and observations
« Reply #60 on August 31, 2021, 04:32:31 pm by keyser_soze »
Rob Staton @robstaton 3m
Hearing Doncaster Rovers have upped their offer on Will Grigg so they’re not out of the race. But this one is pretty interesting today, with #RUFC interested too. Even one or two whispers that #SWFC might get involved… will be one to watch.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on August 31, 2021, 04:33:40 pm by Spud »
I wonder why Wigan haven't shown any interest in Will given the successful time he had there along with the fan repour he received?

Ah well, their loss...still can't get that dream out of my head.

That crossed my mind too, maybe they're happy with what they have?
They've not been shy of signing anyone though tbf.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 31, 2021, 04:35:30 pm by normal rules »
Rob Staton @robstaton 3m
Hearing Doncaster Rovers have upped their offer on Will Grigg so they’re not out of the race. But this one is pretty interesting today, with #RUFC interested too. Even one or two whispers that #SWFC might get involved… will be one to watch.

In a 3 horse race between rovers, rovrum and wendies, I would not fancy our chances. Could be some FOMO going on here.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 31, 2021, 04:38:42 pm by IDM »
Grigg is not the only player potentially available though.  TBH Eaves may be more realistic.

According to the bellends on Twitter it is actually going to be the end of the world if Grigg goes elsewhere.

You wouldn’t think people were running for their lives in Afghanistan would you.?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:49:03 pm by IDM »

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 31, 2021, 04:43:43 pm by rich1471 »
Grigg is not the only player potentially available though.  TBH Eaves may be more realistic.

According to the bellends on Twitter it is actually going to be the end of the world if Grigg goes elsewhere.

You wouldn’t think people were running for their lives on Afghanistan would you.?
Eaves gone to Portsmouth

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 31, 2021, 04:46:28 pm by GazLaz »

You wouldn’t think people were running for their lives on Afghanistan would you.?
Eaves gone to Portsmouth

He hasn’t.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on August 31, 2021, 04:47:25 pm by IDM »

Eaves gone to Portsmouth

Has he.?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 31, 2021, 04:47:54 pm by steve@dcfd »
Strange one it looks like it could turn into a permanent deal not a loan according to the article we have matched what Rotherham have offered. So we will see how this develops??

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 31, 2021, 04:48:09 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Hopefully Grigg isn’t the only one we’re in for. The reaction on Twitter is embarrassing but it’s not a DRFC thing that’s just Twitter on any given subject!

I would say it’s a bit embarrassing if we do miss out though. Sounds like a deals been there for a while now and we’ve delayed in hopes of getting Bogle out which would never happen. If we had the money just do the deal then we can off load Bogle for a fraction of his wage because it’s better than nothing. At least we would have been somewhat in the driving seat.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 31, 2021, 04:48:32 pm by rich1471 »
Saido Berahino signed for Wednesdays as well

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on August 31, 2021, 04:49:34 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Hopefully Grigg isn’t the only one we’re in for. The reaction on Twitter is embarrassing but it’s not a DRFC thing that’s just Twitter on any given subject!

I would say it’s a bit embarrassing if we do miss out though. Sounds like a deals been there for a while now and we’ve delayed in hopes of getting Bogle out which would never happen. If we had the money just do the deal then we can off load Bogle for a fraction of his wage because it’s better than nothing. At least we would have been somewhat in the driving seat.

That's the risk you take though isn't it? It's like buying a house do you hold out for the right price with the risk someone else comes in or offer the asking price?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 31, 2021, 04:53:24 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

That's the risk you take though isn't it? It's like buying a house do you hold out for the right price with the risk someone else comes in or offer the asking price?

Oh 100% what I’m saying is I don’t think we are in a position to risk it. Just get the deal done so we have a forward. Rotherham can afford to play chicken on deadline day. Don’t think we can looking at if so far

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on August 31, 2021, 04:54:57 pm by jamesrover17 »
I think if it starts getting silly we should move on to Eaves/Zohore… A bidding war at 10pm tonight isn’t going to end well

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on August 31, 2021, 04:58:24 pm by roversdude »
Certainly not enjoying this

lee.j09

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 31, 2021, 05:08:27 pm by lee.j09 »

You wouldn’t think people were running for their lives in Afghanistan would you.?

I’ve seen it all on here now.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on August 31, 2021, 05:09:24 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Certainly not enjoying this

How do you think Richie feels!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on August 31, 2021, 05:18:28 pm by IDM »

I’ve seen it all on here now.

You don’t think the general impression of those tweets smacks of impatience and immaturity then.?

And for the sake of balance, there has been a fair amount of bellend posting and bullshitery on this forum too over the years, which I have been happy to out when necessary.

But as for Twitter, the overreaction takes the biscuit.

Reminds me of the Viz character “Spoilt bas**rd”.

Or maybe you think #drfc “fans” referring to #rufc as “nonces” and “paedos” are sensible and well reasoned arguments.?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 05:20:35 pm by IDM »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on August 31, 2021, 05:36:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
This was always going to be the danger when other clubs come in at the last minute....and the reason Grigg has not signed before now even though an agreement in principle was in place. His agents want the best deal and so do Sunderland.

I think RW and the board have been prepared for this eventuality but, given our previous experience, they won't pay over the odds and nor should we want them to.

Does make is more frustrating of course if Rotherham are now in for him.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on August 31, 2021, 05:49:57 pm by Jonathan »
We shouldn’t be getting in a bidding war for Will Grigg. If we really wanted it then we should have done the deal we agreed in principle long before today. Now we’re in a situation where we need to up that offer and change the whole make up of the deal, you’ve got to factor in his age. We can’t pay over the odds just because we’ve allowed ourselves to reach the stage where sheer desperation sets in. If Eaves is an alternative, surely now is the time to move onto Eaves.

This was all so avoidable.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on August 31, 2021, 05:58:21 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We shouldn’t be getting in a bidding war for Will Grigg. If we really wanted it then we should have done the deal we agreed in principle long before today. Now we’re in a situation where we need to up that offer and change the whole make up of the deal, you’ve got to factor in his age. We can’t pay over the odds just because we’ve allowed ourselves to reach the stage where sheer desperation sets in. If Eaves is an alternative, surely now is the time to move onto Eaves.

This was all so avoidable.

I would agree but you have to take into account Sunderland, Grigg and his agent who were prepared to play the waiting game. Let's face it, they've been through it before.

From a Rovers perspective, why would you pay more than what you need to. Its always a game of poker and we never know the detail of what's discussed behind closed doors in the run up to this.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on August 31, 2021, 05:59:02 pm by Spud »
Not avoidable if Sunderland & Grigg were hanging on to see what other offers came in, agreement In principle is just that.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on August 31, 2021, 06:01:16 pm by Filo »
Not avoidable if Sunderland & Grigg were hanging on to see what other offers came in, agreement In principle is just that.

But all the indications were it was us hanging onto move players out, as of now none have gone out, we were sold a couple of duds with them two
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 06:16:01 pm by Filo »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on August 31, 2021, 06:08:25 pm by Jonathan »
It was said all along that we could push the button on that deal as soon as we offloaded Bogle, so let’s not start rewriting history here. We didn’t offload Bogle, so the decision was not to release the funds (and that’s their decision to make, we can all have opinions on it but it’s not our money). Today the decision was taken to release the funds irrespective, but we’re now in a bidding war and have already had to up our offer.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on August 31, 2021, 06:08:37 pm by Spud »
Possibly Filo, but I'll guess we'll never know.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on August 31, 2021, 06:10:37 pm by Chris Black come back »
Ship has sailed now given that Rotherham seem to be offering a permanent move, but I’d have been much more comfortable at taking him on a season loan. He must be thinking that as he has turned 30 he doesn’t want two more seasons in League One.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on August 31, 2021, 06:11:23 pm by normal rules »
Agents again pulling the strings behind the scenes. They know the demand is there. They will hang for for as long as they can to get as much as they can. ESP when they know there is more than one club sniffing. Transfer windows are like their Christmas .

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on August 31, 2021, 06:12:20 pm by normal rules »
Rotherham is closer to Wigan for him also. I said last night his main aim would be to be playing closer to where he lives.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on August 31, 2021, 06:13:52 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Some people on here and on Twitter have wild concepts of what a budget is. Would be interesting to see them run a business.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on August 31, 2021, 06:22:26 pm by NickDRFC »
Agreements in principle are worthless. Didn’t we have agreements in place for new contracts for James & Halliday? Should have learned from that.

Whether it’s Grigg or A N Other I really hope we get someone (or two!) in tonight. Desperately need it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012