Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:30:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Great Escape  (Read 29425 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
The Great Escape
« on February 05, 2022, 06:58:09 pm by Filo »
Unlikely as survival is, I think the players should come out to The Great Escape tune from now until the end of the season, a reminder that it’s still on, and a galvanising tune

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

TixTheBox

• Forum Member
Re: The Great Escape
« Reply #1 on February 05, 2022, 07:01:27 pm by TixTheBox »
I think McSheffrey took the pressure off them today. Playing tricks like that could have the opposite affect.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 05, 2022, 07:07:18 pm by Filo »
I think McSheffrey took the pressure off them today. Playing tricks like that could have the opposite affect.

No lets get a Netto banner, stickers and black and yellow scarves instead eh? FFS!

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 05, 2022, 07:09:51 pm by firestarter »
They have to have a dig even after a win like that pfft

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 05, 2022, 07:15:10 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
If we can pick up a win or two in the next 4 then yes. Amazing to think just a few weeks ago but my concern is that we will go a number of games without winning before winning again and we can't afford to do that. We need to start stringing some results together. They are just far too sporadic at the moment to consider survival but that could change.

TixTheBox

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 05, 2022, 07:20:48 pm by TixTheBox »

No lets get a Netto banner, stickers and black and yellow scarves instead eh? FFS!

If you want to pal, I don’t like you but we welcome anyone into Netto brigade. Want me to prepare your welcome pack?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 05, 2022, 07:23:45 pm by Filo »

If you want to pal, I don’t like you but we welcome anyone into Netto brigade. Want me to prepare your welcome pack?

You don’t know me, but I couldn’t give a toss if you liked me or not

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 05, 2022, 07:25:15 pm by EasyforDennis »
Not getting carried away but if we can get a win on Tuesday then we could be on the way to surviving the drop.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 05, 2022, 07:25:27 pm by RugbyRover »
The great escape is definitely on. Lots of folk going to have to tuck into huge portions of humble pie.

We sounded fantastic today. Tommy Rowe and the Norwich lad were superb. GM getting all the big calls right. Teams above us struggling. It's all coming together nicely.  :woohoo:

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 05, 2022, 07:35:09 pm by scawsby steve »
I don't think Ipswich are brilliant by any stretch. We made that 0-6 defeat easy for them.

If we go with the same team on Tuesday, I'm confident we can get something.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 05, 2022, 07:36:25 pm by dickos1 »
Always said it was ridiculous to suggest season was over with 22 games to go,
The tough 8 games from MK dons to sheff wed people said it was impossible to get 9 points from those, well we have 6 from 4 so far.
If we come out of these games with 10-12 points then we’re in with a great chance

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 05, 2022, 07:37:03 pm by Filo »
I don't think Ipswich are brilliant by any stretch. We made that 0-6 defeat easy for them.

If we go with the same team on Tuesday, I'm confident we can get something.

And looking who those around us have to play, if we win that gap could be 5 points very easily

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 05, 2022, 07:44:40 pm by Jonathan »
Energy levels are the limiting factor on Tuesday. We put a hell of a lot into that one today, and that effort included players that are still not yet match fit. The way GM wants to play relies on intensity. If we can recover and go again then we have every chance of competing. If we can’t match that performance then there has to be some understanding of that.

The extreme reactions that sway based upon whether we’re leading or behind are not helpful in this position. If we’re to have any chance of pulling off a hugely unlikely escape then we need everyone pulling in the same direction. There will be ups and downs and while the Netto lot claim to be buzzing today (and I don’t doubt that they are) we don’t need them tearing into the club the next time things don’t go our way.

Whilst I don’t expect us to stay up at all, it’s true that we could get 9 points in a week and that would turn everything on its head. We just need everyone behind Doncaster Rovers. Not breaking off into factions because it gets likes and attention.

Right we’re off out to get drunk in Newcastle where we should be heroes tonight.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 05, 2022, 07:48:52 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
The tough 8 games from MK dons to sheff wed people said it was impossible to get 9 points from those, well we have 6 from 4 so far.
If we come out of these games with 10-12 points then we’re in with a great chance

Fair play, you did. Many people, including myself said we'd be lucky to get 1 win from the tough run of games and we have 2 so hold my hands up there. How quickly football can turn. For the worse or for the better. Move onto Ipswich with the hope that a miraculous run of form is now starting.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 05, 2022, 07:51:17 pm by drfchound »
Energy levels are the limiting factor on Tuesday. We put a hell of a lot into that one today, and that effort included players that are still not yet match fit. The way GM wants to play relies on intensity. If we can recover and go again then we have every chance of competing. If we can’t match that performance then there has to be some understanding of that.

The extreme reactions that sway based upon whether we’re leading or behind are not helpful in this position. If we’re to have any chance of pulling off a hugely unlikely escape then we need everyone pulling in the same direction. There will be ups and downs and while the Netto lot claim to be buzzing today (and I don’t doubt that they are) we don’t need them tearing into the club the next time things don’t go our way.

Whilst I don’t expect us to stay up at all, it’s true that we could get 9 points in a week and that would turn everything on its head. We just need everyone behind Doncaster Rovers. Not breaking off into factions because it gets likes and attention.

Right we’re off out to get drunk in Newcastle where we should be heroes tonight.

Interesting that you should mention energy levels there.
In the highlights Seaman loses the ball and looks totally knackered as he jogs back when Sunderland swarm forward.
He will do well to be fully recovered by Tuesday for another ninety minutes.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 05, 2022, 07:54:00 pm by Filo »

If I were you I’d be expecting free beer all night

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 05, 2022, 07:56:03 pm by GazLaz »
At least we are at home on Tuesday. It’s the doubly away games that kill teams. Like the Pompey away Saturday, Lincoln away Tuesday we have later in the month.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 05, 2022, 08:00:57 pm by normal rules »
We defo owe Ipswich after the away game.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 05, 2022, 08:04:24 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
He got the tactics spot on today. If our players can perform there in front of that crowd, they can do it anywhere. He needs to now work out what’s needed for the Ipswich game. Our squad has to be used to it’s fullest over the coming months. It isn’t about individuals any more, it’s about the big picture of trying to stay up. It can’t be allowed that we perform like we did against Rotherham against Ipswich. They’ve beaten us heavily already.

Big decisions are needed again. Our ground needs to be a place for our players not the opposition, getting on their backs if things go wrong. Get behind the team no matter what you think of how things are run at the club. You support the team so go out and support it!. All the negative crap can be sorted after the season finishes.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 05, 2022, 08:06:38 pm by Bessie Red »
At least we are at home on Tuesday. It’s the doubly away games that kill teams. Like the Pompey away Saturday, Lincoln away Tuesday we have later in the month.
Lincoln is not that far, if it was Portsmouth away followed by Plymouth or Gillingham away then I would agree that may have an effect.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 05, 2022, 08:11:31 pm by Chris Black come back »
We’re starting to get something approaching a squad now. The secret seven is now down to the secret six with Gardner back. Still not much on the rest of them though. 

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 05, 2022, 08:29:21 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Maybe Close might be nearing a return, not sure but any will help the cause.

We don’t have to win every game, so let's be ready for further defeats but if we can win the 'winnable' games from those around us, then today's sort of results are bonuses, particularly with the difficult run of games. 

If we take anything from Ipswich then I'll take that as bonus points, which come the end of this month will tell us how close we can take it.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 05, 2022, 09:09:40 pm by Chris Black come back »
Taylor
Close
John
Fejiri
Anderson
Bostock

All still several weeks or months away, at a guess.

Crazy to think what our matchday squad would look like if they were back.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 05, 2022, 10:30:44 pm by colincramb »
As great a result as today was, and it was great back to back wins is essential if we are to give ourselves any hope.

Fair play though, massive result for our club to go there a win after all we’ve been through this season. Well done players and management

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 05, 2022, 10:37:46 pm by since-1969 »
Unlikely as survival is, I think the players should come out to The Great Escape tune from now until the end of the season, a reminder that it’s still on, and a galvanising tune
I favour ‘tiptoe through the tulips’
myself , not so predictable!

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 05, 2022, 11:58:22 pm by bradford exile »
.  Or maybe Mission Impossible. Regards Ray

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 06, 2022, 12:05:07 am by BillyStubbsTears »

If we get 12 points from those 9 games, we still needs 20 points from the final 11 games to have any realistic chance.

The performance today was a massive improvement on Tuesday and that is good, but it doesn't change the depth of the hole that we are in.

It goes without saying that I'd be delighted to be wrong, but it's a 1 in 20 chance.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 06, 2022, 12:14:23 am by dickos1 »
That’s not right billy
It’s 8 games, so after the Wednesday game we will have 12 games left and if we get 6 points from the next 4 like I said then we will be on 28 points with 12 games to go.

Lindsey

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 06, 2022, 12:22:28 am by Lindsey »
It’s great what a couple of wins do. From where we was after losing against Mansfield, we now do have a chance of stopping up. Also, some players coming back.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 06, 2022, 12:40:28 am by GazLaz »
Lincoln is not that far, if it was Portsmouth away followed by Plymouth or Gillingham away then I would agree that may have an effect.

It has an affect. Lincoln have two home games to our two away. How can that not be a massive advantage?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012