Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:48:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 24965 times)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Next manager
« Reply #60 on October 17, 2022, 01:47:21 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Folk keep going on about experienced managers. Experienced in what? There are a few out there we wouldn't want to touch with a bargepole.

When we say 'experienced' what do we mean?

I can't quite believe this needs pointing out, but when I say experience, I mean as a minimum someone who's an actual football manager. As in, they have experience managing a professional football team.

Two of our previous three managers didn't fit this basic prerequisite. We're not asking for a lot...

Just playing devils advocate but does GMc now fall into that category?

If you call what he did managing but thats very generous

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Loan Arranger

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on October 17, 2022, 01:49:05 pm by The Loan Arranger »
From Chall's recent vlog - What about Steve Wiggle? Let's get Wiggle in!

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on October 17, 2022, 01:56:48 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink wouldn't be a bad shout I don't think.
Did a hell of a job last time he was at Burton. They looked odds on for relegation and finished mid table (I think)
He'll have contacts in the game and is well known throughout football, so relatively high profile

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on October 17, 2022, 01:57:49 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
How do some folk get hold of this ‘insider information’?

“Paul Green has an interview “??? Where does all this come from? The only person on this forum who MAY have insider information is Silent Majority isn’t it? If he has,  I’m sure it isn’t going to be blabbed around here!! It’s fun to guess, but nobody should be pretending that they’re in the know. Almost makes me wish for the days of waiting for updates from the Evening Post!

BTW, Re Danny Schofield, he’s a boyhood Rovers fan isn’t he? So that could be why he’s attended games?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on October 17, 2022, 02:07:54 pm by Campsall rover »
Danny Schofield would be another very big risk. What has he got on his managerial CV?

Didn’t go well for him at Huddersfield. They looked very poor v Rovers in that pre season friendly and started this season very badly under his leadership.

Yes that’s the Championship but they were a shadow of the team that finished in the play offs last season.
In league 2 with our squad he might be a success but it’s risky. Do we go down that road again or do we appoint someone who has got the tee shirt with success already written on it.

Think we should go for the latter if we can find the right man which of course is not as easy as it sounds.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 02:35:27 pm by Campsall rover »

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on October 17, 2022, 02:22:57 pm by Pliskin »
I don't know much about him but Schofield seems a bit like Huddersfield's version of McSheffrey.

Coached in their academy and then propelled into the first team manager role too early.

Although they only gave him 9 games so it's difficult to tell whether or not he'd have improved them in time.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on October 17, 2022, 02:24:11 pm by Dare to dream! »
Adkins would be a shocking appointment.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on October 17, 2022, 02:29:58 pm by mushRTID »
I don't know much about him but Schofield seems a bit like Huddersfield's version of McSheffrey.

One of my customers is a Hudds fan and he described him as exactly this, he didn't rate the little he saw.
I hope we don't go down this route.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on October 17, 2022, 02:41:35 pm by Campsall rover »
It’s always a risk to change managers but no where near as big a risk as keeping GM in the job imo.
He was a beaten man & i would imagine he probably feels a massive weight has been taken off his shoulders right now.

Just wish him well for the future. He will have given his best at Rovers.
Good luck GM

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on October 17, 2022, 02:45:39 pm by StocktonRover »
Rob staton saying keep an eye on Graeme Lee. FFS

As soon as I saw his name on the list, I commented that he would be a very very "Rovers- like" appointment.

He has bigger issues to concern himself with, like supporting his wife through her illness
I agree with this. We need someone who hasn't got one eye on something more important than Rovers

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on October 17, 2022, 02:47:11 pm by anton123 »
From Chall's recent vlog - What about Steve Wiggle? Let's get Wiggle in!
Is this on YouTube?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on October 17, 2022, 02:52:17 pm by Jonathan »
We’ll all have differing opinions on this. From the more realistic names mentioned, I quite like what David Artell stands for…

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/david-artell-crewe-reflection-steve-holland-pep-guardiola/

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on October 17, 2022, 03:00:43 pm by normal rules »
Let’s be under no illusion here. Rovers will appoint someone who is currently out of work. We are not a club that head hunts managers and pays the going rate to take them away from another club.
In every single way, that means our expectations have to be realistic.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on October 17, 2022, 03:02:20 pm by EasyforDennis »

As soon as I saw his name on the list, I commented that he would be a very very "Rovers- like" appointment.

He has bigger issues to concern himself with, like supporting his wife through her illness
I agree with this. We need someone who hasn't got one eye on something more important than Rovers

On reflection I feel quite sorry for him. Yes I was one of the many wanting him gone but he was doing a good job with the youth team and took on a job he didn't really want and now finds himself out of work. Maybe he should have held out and not be talked into a position he obviously wasn't suited for.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on October 17, 2022, 03:04:32 pm by Barmby Rover »
We are not going to offer the money that high profile managers will accept, and when they see the playing budget a lot of others will be put off. What that does to the field is restrict the numbers significantly, and we will get what we get. It is all about the money.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on October 17, 2022, 03:04:56 pm by Lesonthewest »
Adkins would be a shocking appointment.

Bit of an oddball now I believe.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on October 17, 2022, 03:11:56 pm by ChrisBx »
Let’s be under no illusion here. Rovers will appoint someone who is currently out of work. We are not a club that head hunts managers and pays the going rate to take them away from another club.
In every single way, that means our expectations have to be realistic.

The structure behind the scenes has changed since we last appointed a manager. Their approach may be different.

Redroy

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on October 17, 2022, 03:12:19 pm by Redroy »
We’ll all have differing opinions on this. From the more realistic names mentioned, I quite like what David Artell stands for…

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/david-artell-crewe-reflection-steve-holland-pep-guardiola/

I wouldn't mind him. He will have learnt a lot in those 5 years or whatever at Crewe.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on October 17, 2022, 03:13:51 pm by andyst79 »

Good interview, could do a lot worse.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on October 17, 2022, 03:16:19 pm by ChrisBx »

I wouldn't mind him. He will have learnt a lot in those 5 years or whatever at Crewe.

Let's hope he has learnt - he was a bit of a loose cannon in the past.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on October 17, 2022, 03:22:04 pm by Bessie Red »
Rob Edwards seemed to know what he was doing when managing Forest Green in Lge 2 so out of the ones mentioned so far he would be my choice!

No chance.
Why?

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on October 17, 2022, 03:24:00 pm by Draytonian III »
Does the local City of Sheffield media manager mean Steve Wigley the ex Notts Forest winger, it looks like he’s got a good career at Fulham coaching their U18s, 23s etc . I don’t think we could compete with London wages even if it was for the Managers job with us .

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on October 17, 2022, 04:03:26 pm by Filo »
We are not going to offer the money that high profile managers will accept, and when they see the playing budget a lot of others will be put off. What that does to the field is restrict the numbers significantly, and we will get what we get. It is all about the money.

What is the playing budget?

Can you share your info?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on October 17, 2022, 04:33:48 pm by danumdon »
No idea who we will be after but i do know we need someone who has had experience in the role and by this i mean someone who may have had a bad time of it previously and has taken that experience on board and learnt from it, in life you need to have seen the bad times to fully appreciate the good, i would imagine in football management this also stands.

I can't think of any managers who have had a issue free trip right to the top, its built in that they will have had setbacks along the way to broaden their experience.

Could someone like the ex Crewe or Sunderland manager fit this bill ?

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on October 17, 2022, 04:34:58 pm by Drover »

He had the same issues before taking the Hartlepool job did he not?,did very well until having a 1 win in 11 games following it,talk about highs and lows.Still,too much of a gamble at moment for me,and I wish him and his family all the best.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on October 17, 2022, 04:44:25 pm by selby »
Filo, if it is all about money for a manager he is not the man for this club, simple as that

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on October 17, 2022, 04:45:21 pm by Copps is Magic »
JFH must have been in the running (according to the bookies) for the last 5 manager changes.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on October 17, 2022, 04:49:11 pm by Filo »
Filo, if it is all about money for a manager he is not the man for this club, simple as that

Not sure why you’re asking me, I’ve never mentioned money

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on October 17, 2022, 04:50:41 pm by donnybez »

Anyone coaching at Crewe will have learnt a thing or two on youth development, and working with a budget.

However is the improvement on GMc really the one bloke who finished below him last season...?

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on October 17, 2022, 04:53:07 pm by bradford exile »
 :s
Christ.. There's some terrible names in there. Artell? Keane? God Almighty.....

BobG
Bob don't think he would take the job. But then again has he the experience. Regards Ray
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 04:55:14 pm by bradford exile »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012