Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:56:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Is anyone going to watch this tournament on tv?

Yes
72 (42.1%)
No
29 (17%)
Only when national team play.
39 (22.8%)
Odd games maybe.
31 (18.1%)

Total Members Voted: 171

Author Topic: World Cup in Qatar - is anyone interested in it?  (Read 15343 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
World Cup in Qatar - is anyone interested in it?
« on November 07, 2022, 06:18:27 pm by normal rules »
With two weeks to go, I don’t think I’ve ever been so un interested in the global footy tournament that has given us so much watching pleasure and pain over recent years.
So who is getting excited by this. Who is watching it? Who is giving it a complete miss.
I couldnt give a hoot for it personally.
I hope it’s an absolute flop.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 06:26:26 pm by normal rules »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Crowle Rover

• Forum Member
Re: World Cup in Qatar - is anyone interested in it?
« Reply #1 on November 07, 2022, 06:27:06 pm by Crowle Rover »
Not interested in the slightest to be honest.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 07, 2022, 06:33:36 pm by silent majority »
For the first time in a lot of years this is one tournament that I won't be attending. It's not just the strict moral system they operate that's put me off, there's a multitude of reasons including the high cost, the lack of accommodation, the move away from a summer competition etc etc.

As a tournament I think it's got nothing going for it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 12:31:38 am by silent majority »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 07, 2022, 06:38:29 pm by Copps is Magic »
Won't be watching a second. Will be boycotting every sponsor the best I can.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 07, 2022, 06:40:17 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Is anyone even going? This is way more expensive than when our group games were in Ukraine in the Euros that time and that was poorly attended by England fans.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 07, 2022, 06:45:03 pm by mushRTID »
I really couldn’t care less about it.
I’m sure when it starts I will watch.
Just doesn’t feel right does it

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 07, 2022, 06:49:36 pm by silent majority »
Is anyone even going? This is way more expensive than when our group games were in Ukraine in the Euros that time and that was poorly attended by England fans.

I know quite a number of people who are going, including several DRFC supporters.

Did you think the Euros were poorly attended?

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 07, 2022, 07:08:39 pm by DonnyNoel »
I'll probably get into it when it starts but even putting aside the "Qatar angle" it just seems very drab at the moment because of the timing. Normally the season would be winding down, the weather improving and people talking about it. Now I feel the season is just starting to take shape (past Dave Penney's magic ten game marker) and we're about to break off and won't even be enjoying it in the sun. Also, from a football PoV I feel it's come at exactly the wrong time for England but we've done more than OK in the last two tournaments so who knows.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 07, 2022, 07:21:22 pm by normal rules »

Have you seen some of the extra accommodation on offer.those ex military amongst us will recognise them as Glorified Corrimecs. Like a container city. They reckon there is an initial 2-3000 England fans going and I don’t envy any of them.

arkseyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 07, 2022, 07:22:17 pm by arkseyrover »
Its not for me. It must be the first time ever I have not been excited by a World Cup. Even the ones without England playing did create some buzz for me. And I expect this one to be as boring as one of Gareth Southgates football teams.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 07, 2022, 07:48:34 pm by Spilsby Red »
Not interested or not going to watch any

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 07, 2022, 07:55:46 pm by andy didcott »
£12-15 quid a pint, don’t think there will be many drinking.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 07, 2022, 08:04:49 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It'll be interesting to see a tournament goes with players in the middle of the season instead of after the season's finished.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 07, 2022, 08:09:44 pm by Chris Black come back »
It’s a bit of a shitshow to say the least. Awarded in a corrupt process. Very poor labour standards and scores killed building the sites. Dumped in middle of season so loads of lads injured. Only upside is people gathering in pubs will generate some body heat to distract from freezing cold December weather and sky high energy prices. Hopefully a load of protests take place in the stadiums. At least until the riot police beat the shit out of them.

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 07, 2022, 08:46:33 pm by essexrover »
Now I feel the season is just starting to take shape (past Dave Penney's magic ten game marker) and we're about to break off and won't even be enjoying it in the sun.
About to break off !?!? No we're not. Only the upper echelons (i.e Premier League etc.) are breaking off. Us lower division types can quite happily carry on watching our teams, I'm pleased to say.
No world cup for me. #Sportswashing

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 07, 2022, 11:01:15 pm by Scooter »
I’ll be watching it and planned a weeks annual leave to do some studying to coincide with the England group games. I agree that there is a distinct lack of excitement about it though.
That will soon change if England start doing well

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 08, 2022, 01:09:55 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It’s a sham the whole of European football disrupted because of corruption. The World Cup has always been held close to the summer months and it still should be. It’s not about inclusion it’s about money.

On England’s chances, if Southgate puts the form players in the side, we could get into the latter stages. If he puts square pegs in round holes we will be out in the group stage.

I don’t feel a connection with our players any more. When we got to the semi final and final under Southgate, somehow it wasn’t as big an achievement as it would have been had happened in the past, as it did at Italia 90 and Euro 96.
I won’t see much of the tournament as I will be working as I’m sure a lot on here are as well.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 08, 2022, 06:08:21 am by tyke1962 »
 Shameful event , if England won it ..... So what !!

BahrainRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 08, 2022, 06:27:05 am by BahrainRover »
Its only a four hour drive away from us, yet I don't know of anyone going. The restrictions placed at the Saudi/Qatar boarder is crazy. On a normal weekend its turn up at immigration, show your GCC resident card and in you go. Now you need to pre register park up and pay to get on designated shuttle busses under strict controls like cattle, regardless even if your not attending the games.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 08, 2022, 08:22:27 am by Spud »
Agree with most of the comments above, really uninterested mainly due to the ethics of it all but also the time of year.
Of course I'll end up watching it though, begrudgingly.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 08, 2022, 09:18:32 am by ravenrover »
A summer world cup is fine for Europe but what about south American or Asian, southern hemisphere teams are their seasons disrupted because of a summer world cup?

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 08, 2022, 10:20:35 am by phil old leake »
No I’m not interested. 
I’m also fed up with all the hypocrisy around the whole thing
People complaining about everything then going or getting paid to work there.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 08, 2022, 01:43:38 pm by Metalmicky »
Even Sepp Blatter says Qatar is a mistake........ and he was in charge of the corrupt bunch when they awarded it to them...

https://www.malaymail.com/news/sports/2022/11/08/qatar-is-a-mistake-says-former-fifa-president-sepp-blatter/38342

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 08, 2022, 04:30:31 pm by rich1471 »
Even Sepp Blatter says Qatar is a mistake........ and he was in charge of the corrupt bunch when they awarded it to them...

https://www.malaymail.com/news/sports/2022/11/08/qatar-is-a-mistake-says-former-fifa-president-sepp-blatter/38342
wonder how much he got as a back hander for it going to Qatar

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 08, 2022, 05:05:42 pm by turnbull for england »

That's like Ronald McDonald saying burgers are a bad idea

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 10, 2022, 06:31:57 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Just an absolute disgrace to rub salt in what we all knew. They had ample opportunity during the selection process to think hang on a minute. Obvs blinded by the cash coming their way highlighting their immorality, hypocrisy and greed.

Will probably watch a few games of the home nations although I suspect it will be quite a brief tournament for us.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 10, 2022, 07:05:40 pm by colincramb »
It even looks as though our own football hierarchy can’t be bothered. I mean how many years have we known about this tournament being played at the time of year it is? Yet even with the years to prepare, we have still managed to produce the most congested fixture pile up of any country in Europe, possibly the world. Seeing Kane being trotted out last night in the nothing trophy said all you need to know for me. The battle between the premier league/FA for power will derail possibly our best chance in the past 25/30 years of success in this tournament.

Big opportunity but even bigger shame they couldn’t work together to give us a genuinely good chance of success

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 10, 2022, 07:21:28 pm by Chris the Rover »
More chance of me plaiting fog than England winning this World Cup.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 10, 2022, 08:00:10 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Got a funny feeling we might see the second coming of Marcus Rashford IF Southgate is brave enough to play him.

Now he's given up his milk round he looks more like his old direct attacking self.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 10, 2022, 08:30:20 pm by NickDRFC »
Got a funny feeling we might see the second coming of Marcus Rashford IF Southgate is brave enough to play him.

Now he's given up his milk round he looks more like his old direct attacking self.

Not sure I would call it cowardice if Southgate doesn’t play him. He’s competing for a spot with Saka (exceptional this season), Foden (played very well up until a couple of weeks ago when he’s lost his place), Sterling (not a good season by any means but he’s been played all over the place, has experience on his side, creates a lot of space for Kane and he was our best player only a year and a half ago at the Euros), Grealish (currently keeping Foden out of the team) and Maddison (not really his best role but if there’s going to be a place for him anywhere in this system it’ll likely be as a forward).

Rashford is playing much better than last season but I’m not sure he’s made a hugely compelling case for his inclusion over any of them, although similarly to Sterling his experience might count in his favour.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012