Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:30:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Is anyone going to watch this tournament on tv?

Yes
72 (42.1%)
No
29 (17%)
Only when national team play.
39 (22.8%)
Odd games maybe.
31 (18.1%)

Total Members Voted: 171

Author Topic: World Cup in Qatar - is anyone interested in it?  (Read 15338 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: World Cup in Qatar - is anyone interested in it?
« Reply #270 on November 28, 2022, 09:59:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Pete Davies in his seminal book about Italia 90 made a superb observation.

From that tournament on, the World Cup wasn't held in a country. A country played host to Planet Football.

Yes the final was in Rome that year, but that was nigh on irrelevant. The World Cup Finals became from then on a global celebration that happened to be physically based in a particular geographical location. It transcended the local culture.

Even Russia, even Putin understood this. He had the police stop arresting and assaulting gay people for the duration. Russia strove to show itself as part of the global family.

Qatar have not played that game. They've insisted that they will impose their own specific culture on the tournament, not have the world bring its culture to them.

They've bought FIFA off, then shoved their noses in the issue of who had the power, by, at the last minute, banning alcohol and shows of tolerance and support to gay people. The left it to the very last minute to do this, to give a fait accompli to countries at the finals.

That's their prerogative, but it must never, ever happen again. Host countries don't own a WC. They host it, and the world takes them over for a brief period. We now know countries like Qatar don't want those rules. So they can f**k right off in future.

There's a difference BST. Russia is not a Muslim country.
Under your logic FIFA should be allowed to impose Christian / Western values upon the host nation, either that or no muslim country should ever be allowed to host again.

No country that exploits people (workers rights) or discriminates against them in defiance of UN Human Rights Law (gay/women's rights) should ever stage a major international sporting event.

Fifa had better take the world cup away from USA then before it's too late.

BST I was just wandering if there was anything else on your list that you think should preclude a country ? I would start with lack of fish and chip shops.

I can quite happily skip the fish and chips.

If it were down to me though, I think that having a sufficient combination of:
a)Your own people and
b) Foreign visitors that want to come to your country...

...to fill the stadiums without paying people from Lebanon to do so would be a pre-requite.

https://mobile.twitter.com/henrymance/status/1597318265314811904

But I'm old fashioned like that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 10:18:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #271 on November 29, 2022, 04:40:01 am by BobG »
It makes me laugh out load every single time I see a troop of Indians decked out in one or another European or South American gear all busy cheering their heads off. .. Football? What it is a disgrace.

BobG

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #272 on November 29, 2022, 05:48:00 pm by drfchound »
Bob, could those people be of Indian descent but born and bred in the country they support?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #273 on November 29, 2022, 10:46:11 pm by BobG »
Probably. But  these ain't and you know it.

It's hardly been a well kept secret.....

BobG

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #274 on November 30, 2022, 12:25:53 am by SydneyRover »
QI ..................

''How Qatar hacked the World Cup''

''Private investigators linked to the City of London are using an India-based computer hacking gang to target British businesses, government officials and journalists.

The Bureau of Investigative Journalism and the Sunday Times have been given access to the gang’s database, which reveals the extraordinary scale of the attacks.

It shows the criminals targeted the private email accounts of more than 100 victims on behalf of investigators working for autocratic states, British lawyers and their wealthy clients.

Critics of Qatar who threatened to expose wrongdoing by the Gulf state in the run-up to this month’s World Cup were among those hacked.

It is the first time the inner workings of a major “hack-for-hire” gang have been leaked to the media and it reveals multiple criminal conspiracies. Some of the hackers’ clients are private investigators used by major law firms with bases in the City of London''

Our investigation – based on the leaked documents and undercover work in India – can reveal: ................

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2022-11-05/how-qatar-hacked-the-world-cup

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #275 on November 30, 2022, 12:00:44 pm by normal rules »
In the light of Qatar being granted this wc under dubious circumstances. It got me thinking of other countries that have yet to host a World Cup, which maybe could or should?
India. Have taken part very little in the tournament since it’s inception. Except by default in 1950 when other teams pulled out, and even then they pulled out at the last minute. With one of the worlds biggest populations and a passion for other sports such as cricket, it would be no surprise if they were to host it in the coming decades.
China. Only made an appearance in 2002. Another global sporting giant. Surely the time will come for them to host?

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #276 on November 30, 2022, 12:57:48 pm by phil old leake »
Normal if you read everything about all the reasons a country shouldn’t hold a World Cup you are looking a a very small a limited amount.  List the reasons why people are complaining about this location and put those reasons against other countries that are soon to hold the competition or are hoping to
Not many would get it probably including the UK
Definitely not USA Canada and Mexico

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #277 on November 30, 2022, 07:55:55 pm by Janso »
Normal if you read everything about all the reasons a country shouldn’t hold a World Cup you are looking a a very small a limited amount.  List the reasons why people are complaining about this location and put those reasons against other countries that are soon to hold the competition or are hoping to
Not many would get it probably including the UK
Definitely not USA Canada and Mexico

Really got to applaud the mental gymnastics you do. Hopefully they add it to the Olympic programme so you can do us proud on the world stage.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #278 on November 30, 2022, 08:25:49 pm by normal rules »
I’d personally love to see the wc hosted by India.
A country represented around the world with their culture, business and food.
We are happy to have many, many things in the western world made in China.
Why not embrace them in hosting the wc. ?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #279 on November 30, 2022, 08:52:47 pm by Chris Black come back »
India hosted the 2010 Commonwealth Games, a modest sized international event, and this was by fairly universal acceptance the worst organised multinational sporting event in living memory. While 12 years might have passed, the complexities and scale of a tournament like the World Cup means even the fabulously corrupt FIFA selection committee would think twice about handing them the tournament.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #280 on November 30, 2022, 09:10:28 pm by normal rules »
India hosted the 2010 Commonwealth Games, a modest sized international event, and this was by fairly universal acceptance the worst organised multinational sporting event in living memory. While 12 years might have passed, the complexities and scale of a tournament like the World Cup means even the fabulously corrupt FIFA selection committee would think twice about handing them the tournament.

Perhaps because the Indian Footballing authorities  are not corrupt? I’d take disorganised over downright corrupt.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #281 on December 01, 2022, 11:37:37 am by selby »
  I can remember in "fish in our pond" on this forum about looking for good young players who played against us for clubs in our range putting forward Harry Souttar then of Fleetwood, now of Stoke and quarter finalists Australia as one we should be looking at.
   Who would have thought it? nobody at the Rovers at the time obviously.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #282 on December 01, 2022, 11:50:49 am by phil old leake »
Janso explain

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #283 on December 01, 2022, 12:03:57 pm by NickDRFC »
  I can remember in "fish in our pond" on this forum about looking for good young players who played against us for clubs in our range putting forward Harry Souttar then of Fleetwood, now of Stoke and quarter finalists Australia as one we should be looking at.

He was only on loan as a young lad at Fleetwood and has been a regular first team player for Stoke for 3 seasons now. He would never have been a realistic target for us.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #284 on December 01, 2022, 05:40:46 pm by scawsby steve »

He was only on loan as a young lad at Fleetwood and has been a regular first team player for Stoke for 3 seasons now. He would never have been a realistic target for us.

I was just about to post exactly the same thing, Nick. He was fantastic against us for Fleetwood about 3 years ago. He stopped everything at the back, and scored the second goal in their 2-1 win.

I thought the same as Brian(Selby), that he was one we should be looking at, but then I googled him and found out that he was on loan from Stoke.

Never within our range.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #285 on December 01, 2022, 07:39:22 pm by drfchound »
Probably. But  these ain't and you know it.

It's hardly been a well kept secret.....

BobG

Bob, sorry to tell you that I don’t know which group of Indian fans you are on about.
I am skipping in and out of the forum much less than I have in the past due to being very busy with a house for the last month.
Apologies if I have missed something that was posted earlier and I haven’t seen.
I just picked up on what you had said and asked my question off the back of that.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #286 on December 01, 2022, 09:10:32 pm by turnbull for england »
Ze Germans aren't .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #287 on December 03, 2022, 07:12:57 pm by selby »
  Juast listened to the so called experts before the Argentina v Australia game, and I dont think they really understand the Australian approach to international sport.
   Argentina like to dish it out, today I think they will meet their match when it comes to the rough stuff.
  If would not surprise me if it is a tight game in the later stages it doesn't blow up.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 07:17:45 pm by selby »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #288 on December 11, 2022, 08:04:39 am by ncRover »
I’m getting behind Morocco now. So much team spirit, dogged defending and tight organisation.

They have some brilliant players who will earn big moves after this. Ounahi catches the eye.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #289 on December 11, 2022, 09:23:41 am by normal rules »
Morocco way more entertaining to watch than England.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012