Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:23:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Is anyone going to watch this tournament on tv?

Yes
72 (42.1%)
No
29 (17%)
Only when national team play.
39 (22.8%)
Odd games maybe.
31 (18.1%)

Total Members Voted: 171

Author Topic: World Cup in Qatar - is anyone interested in it?  (Read 15337 times)

ncRover

• Forum Member
Re: World Cup in Qatar - is anyone interested in it?
« Reply #60 on November 16, 2022, 10:07:00 pm by ncRover »
Prez, I can remember Toney playing for Scunny against us and at the time thought he was very average.
When I saw him a while later playing for Peterbro at the KM against us I changed my mind.
I thought he was the real deal, a proper CF and was a right handful for our defenders. From then I have always had him down as a potential PL player.
There was a time when I wanted Rovers to go in for him but when he was sold to Brentford (was it £5m) I realised that he was literally out of our league.

Hope George Miller reads this somehow

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on November 17, 2022, 04:38:18 pm by Upton Rover »
I’m a true football fan of my club. I’m afraid I associate our overrated obscenely overpaid national players, rightly or wrongly, with the greed of the Premier League, which I absolutely despise. I have no interest in this competition.
Would you despise the Rover’s players in 2028 when we are in the Premiership?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on November 17, 2022, 05:46:30 pm by scawsby steve »
I’m a true football fan of my club. I’m afraid I associate our overrated obscenely overpaid national players, rightly or wrongly, with the greed of the Premier League, which I absolutely despise. I have no interest in this competition.

You mean at the time when I've become a multi-billionaire, and am married to Cameron Diaz?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on November 17, 2022, 07:23:25 pm by normal rules »

Drfc as we know it, would cease to exist if they ever got to the Prem.
Getting to see them play for a start would be a bun fight for tickets.
Away games, forget it unless you are a season ticket holder. Probably of many years. Ticket prices? Even lowly Bournemouth want between £32 and £45 a ticket.
It’s not for me Ty.  Thankfully it’s unlikely to happen in my life.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on November 17, 2022, 07:33:55 pm by Chris the Rover »
Upton Rover - if DRFC ever get to the PL, I will not attend, it’s as simple as that. This league and its associated monetary greed has ruined football.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on November 17, 2022, 07:44:32 pm by Chris Black come back »
The only possible way we would get to the Premier League would be if someone acquired us and pumped in literally hundreds of millions. If that happened, the club would be effectively dead anyway. So no fear, Rovers will never trouble the Premier League in our current form. Getting back to being a credible and competitive League One side would be a more realistic goal.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on November 17, 2022, 08:15:43 pm by Upton Rover »

You mean at the time when I've become a multi-billionaire, and am married to Cameron Diaz?
She would never leave me so that’s just your dream

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on November 17, 2022, 09:01:58 pm by scawsby steve »

She would never leave me so that’s just your dream

F*ck it then, I'll just have to make do with Ann Widdicombe.

mugnapper

• Forum Member

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on November 18, 2022, 10:32:49 am by Donnywolf »
Looks like "confirmed" now

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on November 18, 2022, 10:39:29 am by Filo »
I think they planned this all along, said they would allow alcohol, and now 48 hours before hand they ban it

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on November 18, 2022, 11:32:57 am by mugnapper »
I'm looking forward to the Inquiry into how the hell that well known footballing country, known for its liberal attitudes, Qatar, was awarded the World Cup.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on November 18, 2022, 12:01:48 pm by Chris Black come back »
This does look like a total disaster of a tournament. Not just bad, but a total disaster.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on November 18, 2022, 12:02:43 pm by normal rules »
Confirmed that Qatar have just banned the sale of alcohol at all stadia venues. Two days before the start of the tournament. That will please Budweiser, who had a big deal to sell their drinks there.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on November 18, 2022, 01:10:08 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Confirmed that Qatar have just banned the sale of alcohol at all stadia venues. Two days before the start of the tournament. That will please Budweiser, who had a big deal to sell their drinks there.

I hope they sue FIFA to the point where the corrupt organisation has to be revamped or even better replaced

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on November 18, 2022, 01:31:32 pm by NickDRFC »

I hope they sue FIFA to the point where the corrupt organisation has to be revamped or even better replaced

I reckon this was probably the plan all along and Budweiser were aware, paying less as a result.

Welling Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on November 18, 2022, 02:41:21 pm by Welling Rover »
 see the ban doesn't apply to the corporate areas where alcohol will still be served.
No surprise there !!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on November 18, 2022, 03:25:49 pm by silent majority »

I reckon this was probably the plan all along and Budweiser were aware, paying less as a result.

What's more disturbing is that the Qatari's have promised a number of item that directly affect the supporters who have travelled, if they can go back on this promise what else is going to change?

Not according to Budweisers twitter feed.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on November 18, 2022, 03:28:17 pm by silent majority »
see the ban doesn't apply to the corporate areas where alcohol will still be served.
No surprise there !!

Those corporate areas were not cheap, starting at £19k a pop.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on November 18, 2022, 03:40:46 pm by normal rules »
Still, those unlucky enough to be there can comfort themselves with a bottle of bud zero. Yummy.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on November 18, 2022, 03:42:40 pm by normal rules »
Tomorrows game at Colchester holds significantly more interest to me than anything happening in the footy world on sunday. And then the home game v Walsall.
Rovers on the up again.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on November 18, 2022, 03:44:43 pm by silent majority »
I'm looking forward to the Inquiry into how the hell that well known footballing country, known for its liberal attitudes, Qatar, was awarded the World Cup.

Have you seen the Netflix documentary looking at FIFA?

Its a 4 part documentary that goes into a lot of the detail surrounding the choices made.

Interesting that whilst they were discussing Jack Warner and Trinidad and Tobago qualifying for the 2006 WC in Germany I managed to catch a sight of my flag! Not the greatest picture I admit, but still pleased to see it.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on November 18, 2022, 05:23:35 pm by phil old leake »
England and others playing the hypocrisy card by slating Qatar for its non acceptance of gay people in their country. I agree gay people should be treated with respect and not discriminated against 

HYPOCRISY
I haven’t heard anyone from the England camp object to playing against Iran who have similar draconian laws. I don’t think that anyone appears to be objecting to Morocco, Ghana and Korea participating who also discriminate against the LGBT. 
If you’re going to have principles let’s not be selective

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on November 18, 2022, 05:54:14 pm by scawsby steve »
Tomorrows game at Colchester holds significantly more interest to me than anything happening in the footy world on sunday. And then the home game v Walsall.
Rovers on the up again.

Dead right, NR. Even more so now that we can all watch it tomorrow on iFollow.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on November 18, 2022, 07:00:31 pm by Padge_DRFC »
England and others playing the hypocrisy card by slating Qatar for its non acceptance of gay people in their country. I agree gay people should be treated with respect and not discriminated against 

HYPOCRISY
I haven’t heard anyone from the England camp object to playing against Iran who have similar draconian laws. I don’t think that anyone appears to be objecting to Morocco, Ghana and Korea participating who also discriminate against the LGBT. 

There's millions in this country who share the same beliefs through the exact same law!

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on November 18, 2022, 07:12:26 pm by normal rules »

Its a 4 part documentary that goes into a lot of the detail surrounding the choices made.

Interesting that whilst they were discussing Jack Warner and Trinidad and Tobago qualifying for the 2006 WC in Germany I managed to catch a sight of my flag! Not the greatest picture I admit, but still pleased to see it.

Is that you in the red frock SM, just above it?

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on November 18, 2022, 07:17:20 pm by Janso »

HYPOCRISY

There's millions in this country who share the same beliefs through the exact same law!

To be fair there's sadly quite a lot who don't believe in the same religion that share their beliefs in this country...

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on November 18, 2022, 07:46:14 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Oh no!

It's Coming Home for Christmas!

https://youtu.be/ubRBLAHjkTo

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on November 18, 2022, 08:24:16 pm by idler »
You could always watch the games at home with a beer and put two fingers up at Qatar.
The world’s gone mad just following a trail of greed.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on November 18, 2022, 10:23:23 pm by silent majority »

Is that you in the red frock SM, just above it?

:thumbdown:  ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012