Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:59:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sack the board  (Read 22211 times)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Sack the board
« Reply #60 on January 29, 2023, 11:53:17 am by since-1969 »
If that WAS TB’s intention to give the club back to the supporters,then perhaps he would have made more effort of supporter inclusion. A voice of reason at times when defeats seem the last straw . Too many changes of players and managers with no obvious direction or ambition being talked about by Bramall. We’ve become another per annual L2 club who’s supporters are more ambitious than its owners !
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 11:58:13 am by since-1969 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on January 29, 2023, 11:55:36 am by niteowler »
Well said Camps fully agree with your comments. Remember back in the 50s the local Pork Butcher used to stick a few quid in each year to top up the money taken on the gates (eg Bob Lord at Burnley ). Mind you back in those days no television to get your football fix so we could'nt see how the other half lived. Times have changed.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on January 29, 2023, 01:13:26 pm by coventryrover »
Be careful what you wish for guys .

Whilst I understand things aren't brilliant right now and many Rovers fans are understandably frustrated at least the present ownership are Doncaster people and fans .

It goes a long way does that and I speak from experience with the ownership who took over at Oakwell from the late Patrick Cryne .

Local people and fans running your club are gold dust in this day and age .
Absolutely Tyke.

The thing is Bramall isn’t a fan though in the true sense of the word.
John Ryan was a fan.
That’s the difference. The problem was JR did not have enough money to do what he wanted to do. Hence bringing in Bramall and Watson to help him.
Watson has since passed away and he was a Rovers fan.

If JR had the wealth that TB has then spending 50 million getting Rovers up to the top end of the Championship I am sure would not be prohibitive.

It is TB’s money and he has the right to spend it as he sees fit.
The fact is he has spent upwards of 20 million of his personal wealth over the last 16/17 years.
The goal was to make the club financially stable so that he didn’t need to keep putting in money each season to balance the books.
That has now been achieved thanks to both Blunt and Baldwin.

Now does TB want to spend more to help the club get back to the Championship or even League 1 ?

The fact is unless there is a very very wealthy JR knocking on the door to buy the club then there is absolutely nothing any one of us can do or moan about.
At least we know we won’t end up in meltdown like so many other clubs have under this ownership.

We do have a competitive budget to get out of this league. It’s now all about clever recruitment and good coaching and player management.
Is DS the right man?  The jury is out. We have to give him the summer for further recruitment and let’s see where we are at end of November 2023. 

From where we were at the end of last season maybe our expectations of promotion this season were unrealistic. Personally I think we should be capable of top 7 
This is not a great League. Far from it imo.

If we don’t achieve it this season then so be it.
Next season we should be competing for a top 3 place.  If we are not comfortably in the top 7 by November then we are underachieving big time and DS’s time probably is up.
We would then need to look at an experienced manager as the current strategy will not have achieved its goals.

But some of our fans are behaving like spoilt children Some are living in cloud cookoo land. Some both of those.
Get real, smell the coffee and live in the real world. 

All Rovers fans want DRFC to be successful. Fortunately there are some of us that can see the big picture.
    whoa.....another sensible post

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 29, 2023, 01:34:06 pm by German Rover »

Whilst I understand things aren't brilliant right now and many Rovers fans are understandably frustrated at least the present ownership are Doncaster people and fans .

It goes a long way does that and I speak from experience with the ownership who took over at Oakwell from the late Patrick Cryne .

Absolutely Tyke.

John Ryan was a fan.
That’s the difference. The problem was JR did not have enough money to do what he wanted to do. Hence bringing in Bramall and Watson to help him.

If JR had the wealth that TB has then spending 50 million getting Rovers up to the top end of the Championship I am sure would not be prohibitive.

The fact is he has spent upwards of 20 million of his personal wealth over the last 16/17 years.
The goal was to make the club financially stable so that he didn’t need to keep putting in money each season to balance the books.

Now does TB want to spend more to help the club get back to the Championship or even League 1 ?

The fact is unless there is a very very wealthy JR knocking on the door to buy the club then there is absolutely nothing any one of us can do or moan about.
At least we know we won’t end up in meltdown like so many other clubs have under this ownership.

We do have a competitive budget to get out of this league. It’s now all about clever recruitment and good coaching and player management.
Is DS the right man?  The jury is out. We have to give him the summer for further recruitment and let’s see where we are at end of November 2023. 

From where we were at the end of last season maybe our expectations of promotion this season were unrealistic. Personally I think we should be capable of top 7 

Next season we should be competing for a top 3 place.  If we are not comfortably in the top 7 by November then we are underachieving big time and DS’s time probably is up.
We would then need to look at an experienced manager as the current strategy will not have achieved its goals.

But some of our fans are behaving like spoilt children Some are living in cloud cookoo land. Some both of those.

All Rovers fans want DRFC to be successful. Fortunately there are some of us that can see the big picture.

That last paragraph has  hit the nail on the head. To some being successful is its being in the championship competing on a sloping g pitch with teams coming down from the Premier league.

To others its having a club to pass onto our kids and grandkids.

We will win trophies in the future but having a club at the end of the day is much more important than lumping everything on red.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 29, 2023, 01:46:42 pm by jmt23 »
The banners will be ordered tomorrow happy to self fund.

“Time to make our feelings know!“

Hope the spelling and grammar are ok, that would be quite embarrassing.  :laugh:

I can just image “Bramill git out ov r club”

:facepalm: For the record I think our owners have done a great job, and to still be placing 1-2 million in each year of their own money, with no wish for it back!
Really hope you people do not succeed in this, but do hope the club starts to look at itself and how it is performing. We are right on the edge here and it could go either way.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on January 29, 2023, 02:26:27 pm by EasyforDennis »
I really get fed up of reading comments from some of the rose tinted glasses brigade on here.
We have been told the the club is now running sustainably and TB no longer needs to put in any money to keep the club going.

Why do some people have a problem believing this????

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on January 29, 2023, 02:46:21 pm by roversdude »
Don’t read them then simple

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on January 29, 2023, 03:12:31 pm by Donny Exile in York »

Absolutely Tyke.

John Ryan was a fan.

That last paragraph has  hit the nail on the head. To some being successful is its being in the championship competing on a sloping g pitch with teams coming down from the Premier league.

To others its having a club to pass onto our kids and grandkids.

We will win trophies in the future but having a club at the end of the day is much more important than lumping everything on red.

I echo this, good post CR. We had proper Rovers fans at heart owning the club but unfortunately whilst the Board may have the Doncaster community as a driver, not the Rovers per se. The jury is out with DS, i hope he will succeed given his Donny roots etc and he is going to need time to implement his style of play, players that fit this, but as well as the longer term, we are crying out for more quality now, particularly for me in the final third to supplement Miller and be able to play two up top.

Lavery looked lively when he came on, but Agard and Griffiths are clearly surplus to requirements and neither looks to be able to do 90 minutes consistently so we do need another forward at least, and for me someone with some physical presence as an alternative option. Can we do some much needed further business before the window shuts, we shall see. Won't even start on the defensive frailties, at least the new right back looked better second half. Seaman' was poor though should have been awarded a penalty and Molyneux yet again coasting with zero end product.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 03:38:05 pm by Donny Exile in York »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on January 29, 2023, 04:25:38 pm by drfchound »
I totally agree Campsall.

I had the misfortune to be sat near loads of idiots standing throughout and chanting sack the board. Some were the daft brown checkered scarf mob who spent the whole game gesturing at the home fans like they do in the playground. Some were older blokes who should know better. All were boys or blokes though. It’s never females.

I’m embarrassed by these silly little boys and men. They are the reason I made no effort to bring the wife and kids. I knew it would be like that and it’s horrible. The scab chants are still slightly funny but I know these characters probably aren’t in unions these days and don’t have a clue about any of the history and politics, or care about it. ‘Hope lies in the proles’. So unfortunately there is still very little hope.

I moved because my seat was amongst thise you mention. This post supports my feeling for not attending more away games

My feelings as well Raven.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on January 29, 2023, 04:29:46 pm by redarmi66 »

I had the misfortune to be sat near loads of idiots standing throughout and chanting sack the board. Some were the daft brown checkered scarf mob who spent the whole game gesturing at the home fans like they do in the playground. Some were older blokes who should know better. All were boys or blokes though. It’s never females.

I’m embarrassed by these silly little boys and men. They are the reason I made no effort to bring the wife and kids. I knew it would be like that and it’s horrible. The scab chants are still slightly funny but I know these characters probably aren’t in unions these days and don’t have a clue about any of the history and politics, or care about it. ‘Hope lies in the proles’. So unfortunately there is still very little hope.

I moved because my seat was amongst thise you mention. This post supports my feeling for not attending more away games

They are absolute pond life. A complete embarrassment. Not a scooby how the world works. Unfortunately some them can type a bit and shout.  Self entitled narcissistic fools the lot of them.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on January 29, 2023, 05:48:01 pm by EasyforDennis »
Don’t read them then simple

Just the kind of reply I would expect from you.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on January 29, 2023, 06:06:07 pm by roversdude »
Thank you sir

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on January 29, 2023, 06:11:32 pm by bpoolrover »
The banners will be ordered tomorrow happy to self fund.

“Time to make our feelings know!“

Hope the spelling and grammar are ok, that would be quite embarrassing.  :laugh:

I can just image “Bramill git out ov r club”

:facepalm: For the record I think our owners have done a great job, and to still be placing 1-2 million in each year of their own money, with no wish for it back!
Really hope you people do not succeed in this, but do hope the club starts to look at itself and how it is performing. We are right on the edge here and it could go either way.

they have done a good job yes in previous years, but are we not sustainable now? So they won’t be putting a million or 2 in?

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on January 29, 2023, 08:06:57 pm by jmt23 »
It’s a good question bpoolrover- I often thought when it’s been said “we are sustainable” - just how sustainable, if an owner is putting money in.

I am sure they can say the club could run, if needed, without the added funds - but makes you wonder where we would be, as a truly sustainable club!

The truth is, I don’t care about the money side, I am happy we have a stable owner, and a club to watch. It’s not been great to watch for a couple of years, but it’s been a lot worse over the years, and these newer fans, and some older ones need to be careful what they wish for.

We’ve had bad owners/custodians and in no way is TB one of  those - I can only see that he has done good to the club.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on January 29, 2023, 08:49:18 pm by normal rules »

They are absolute pond life. A complete embarrassment. Not a scooby how the world works. Unfortunately some them can type a bit and shout.  Self entitled narcissistic fools the lot of them.

Games like Mansfield away will always attract the pond life. Those who seek confrontation with supporters of other teams and even within their own club.
They weren’t at Colchester, or Orient. And I suspect they won’t be at Crawley or Sutton.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on January 29, 2023, 08:56:16 pm by ravenrover »
With their little checked scarves ready to pull up so they can't be recognised

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 29, 2023, 09:00:28 pm by normal rules »

And would run a mile if anyone even looked like going toe to toe with them.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on January 30, 2023, 02:28:48 pm by Mike_F »
We all know that multi-millionaire prospective football club owners don't grow on trees and nobody seems to be beating our door down to buy the club. That said, these people do exist and from time to time you get a club like Gillingham being taken over and made competitive with numerous quality signings.

If someone wants to buy a club in the football league and take it on an upward journey I can't think of a better prospect than Donny.

We've got a business that currently breaks even, no debt to pay off on takeover, a good stadium for the level we're at and the two above, good training facilities and the potential of a large catchment area.

In the Bulbshare survey following Gavin's statement I asked how pro-active the owners are in seeking co-investors/a sale seeing as Gavin mentioned any additional investment going straight into the playing budget. It would be good to hear some sort of a response to this from the owners/directors.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on January 30, 2023, 03:08:00 pm by Draytonian III »

I saw young man wearing a scarf like that and I thought it was a Stags supporter

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on January 30, 2023, 03:31:49 pm by selby »
  Just facts, the board have put enough money into the club to be a reasonable success at Division1 and 2 level of football.
  Get this some of the players we have are not as good as some players playing in the football pyramids below the level we play at.
  The so called professional people on the playing and  player identification side of the club have not done their job as well as clubs like Accrington and Morecambe, and have brought in players from higher levels than they have in the game, or so called higher levels like u23s from Manchester United,  that is not particularly the boards fault in my opinion. and is the result of basically the modern way of taking that responsibility away from the manager, and to be honest I see little improvement, in fact we have gone backwards.
  Every successful team we have put together has been by the man at the helm and experienced men around him who could recognise talent that suited the way he wanted to play, the team we have no way suit the way our manager wants to play the game, they are not of a sufficient standard, one or the other has to give and that will take time unless the manager plays a system that starts to suit the players we have in house.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on January 30, 2023, 05:04:42 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
At the minute due to the football side failing, they are sustaining failure.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on January 31, 2023, 09:44:28 pm by donnybez »
I really get fed up of reading comments from some of the rose tinted glasses brigade on here.
We have been told the the club is now running sustainably and TB no longer needs to put in any money to keep the club going.

Why do some people have a problem believing this????

If I may, the club make noises on budgets and their size, yet the results, players past, and ex-managers all say very differently. With that, can you be surprised fans questions statements when they are hearing differently from people ITK?

In terms of the board they have done a lot of good and thats to be commended. Made the club a more professional operation, made us more sustainable, and during 2017-2020 ran a very successful, entertaining ship.

But lets face the situation we're now in. We've had 2 rather rubbish horrendous years from the end of Moore through to now. Times are hard, budgets are tight and the Rovers like a lot of things have to justify that season ticket.
Yes we won't spend our money on other comparable clubs because we support and love Rovers, but if you pay your hard earned cash on a club getting trounced every other week - you are going to question if you should keep putting in. Especially if you hear noises on money and transfers, and see utter dross entering instead.

I'm in 2 minds. I see Scunthorpe and York and think thank god we haven't got that on our doorstep - but I also feel like we're settling at a level that maybe historically is roughly where we belong ; but is also only ever one bad year from non-league again.

One other factor to add/ask: The owner is getting on a bit, and I do think he should look to sell - if so we have time to prepare a succession for the good of the club. Should the worst happen whilst he still owns the club - what would happen / who'd own his shares? and would they look to sell quick or responsibly?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on January 31, 2023, 10:45:03 pm by Lesonthewest »
Good post, commenting on your comments that we are historically roughly where we belong, basically I agree, but we have also built up a very decent fan base since the dark days, & that should at least have us sustaining (there's that word again) league 1 status, don't think there are many, if any that have our attendances & are mid/lower table in league 2.

I know we are where we are, but surely we should be better than this. Won't be long if we carry on that our attendances dwindle back down.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on February 01, 2023, 03:13:38 am by Sammy Chung was King »
If we were top of the league the board would be seen as doing a great job. How can you judge people upstairs by how well the teams centre forward takes his chances.
Yes I would like to see them push the boat out a bit with a couple of quality signings.

They won’t do that because they are very careful owners not wanting to get to the stage where we owe far too much money out.
There needs to be a balancing act between the ways of doing things.

If a player becomes available and he costs a fee we need to be able to get that player if it’s a good deal. The manager must be given a decent chance of succeeding while also keeping an eye on club finances.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on February 01, 2023, 06:18:51 am by Rovers91 »
If we were top of the league the board would be seen as doing a great job. How can you judge people upstairs by how well the teams centre forward takes his chances.
Yes I would like to see them push the boat out a bit with a couple of quality signings.

They won’t do that because they are very careful owners not wanting to get to the stage where we owe far too much money out.

If a player becomes available and he costs a fee we need to be able to get that player if it’s a good deal. The manager must be given a decent chance of succeeding while also keeping an eye on club finances.

Look at the calibre of players other teams in our league have brought in that are wanting promotion. What we have brought in doesnt even come close to them and them clubs wont go into financial shit yet our budget is suppose to be one of biggest? What a load of shite that is.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on February 01, 2023, 02:55:56 pm by Lesonthewest »

Look at the calibre of players other teams in our league have brought in that are wanting promotion. What we have brought in doesnt even come close to them and them clubs wont go into financial shit yet our budget is suppose to be one of biggest? What a load of shite that is.

Agreed, these clubs seem to have drive & ambition, even with smaller fanbases & budgets, that ambition just doesn't seem to be at our club anymore.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on February 02, 2023, 03:59:17 am by Avsuptem »
Be careful of what you wish for certainly springs to mind. Whilst I am not privy to the intracacies of how the club has been funded presumably much of the money going in from the board has been in the form of loans. I believe when JR walked away he generously wrote off his loans. But if our current doners were to recall theirs on exit presumably they would have the right to sell off club assets to fund the payback, the club training ground for example which might make good money as a development site. We rely upon their largesse and screaming for their demise could all go wrong very badly.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on February 02, 2023, 06:54:13 am by Upton Rover »

We’re not top of the league though, and we aren’t going in the right direction, we rely too much on sentimental appointments that aren’t working

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on February 02, 2023, 08:32:19 am by The Beast »
When do we say enough is enough, it’s time to force the owners to put the club for sale officially. Time to sack the board.

We need to start the wheels in motion and some protests.

Good idea, I hear Peel Holdings are looking for more land!

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on February 02, 2023, 10:05:45 am by glosterred »
Sack the board? Be very careful for what you wish for!

COYR

TinyPortal © 2005-2012