Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 02:21:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Is the gap widening?  (Read 2862 times)

Prez

• VSC Member
Is the gap widening?
« on May 27, 2018, 06:07:40 pm by Prez »
Interesting to see the 3 teams relegated from the championship last season, have all been promoted this season (Wigan, Blackburn, Rotherham). Maybe the gap is widening now, and the finances are playing a huge part.

Wouldnt surprise me if the trend continues next season with Sunderland, Dingles and possibly Burton, who had a strong end to the season.

On todays game itself hate to say it but Rotherham deserved it, thought Shrewsbury were awful, no idea how they managed to finish 3rd in the league. Cannot see them being a threat next season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Is the gap widening?
« Reply #1 on May 27, 2018, 06:12:38 pm by steve@dcfd »
The three teams relegated from the Championship  look to have a head start if they can keep their better players and add to them. Resources and probably finances are better than most League 1 sides difficult again next season.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:27:17 pm by steve@dcfd »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 27, 2018, 07:05:19 pm by drfchound »
Sunderland will still be on PL parachute money won't they?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 27, 2018, 09:08:39 pm by RoversAlias »
Aye those parachute payments don't hurt such sides.

I think there's a handful of teams who can compete at the top with these sides but only a handful, which is one of the reasons. Rotherham were well adrift last season yet have been strong all year in L1, how much of that is down to the manager I don't know.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 27, 2018, 10:11:47 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Sunderland will still be on PL parachute money won't they?

I think so as I am fairly certain Wolves did when they did a double relegation?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 27, 2018, 11:12:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's not rocket science. You can put a team together that can play some decent football. But, you've got to do it for 46 games. Rotherham are nothing special, neither were Shrewsbury. They both have strapping lads and they just keep churning out the same percentage football., it's just their average football is more consistent over a season. The two games between us summed it up. They had the 10% more physical and mental conditioning when we didn't. It's not a big gap to close.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 27, 2018, 11:26:36 pm by Alan Southstand »
I beg to differ. Getting on experienced players in the right positions costs money. Have we got the desire and funds to match? The summer will be an indicator.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 27, 2018, 11:53:53 pm by RedJ »
It's not rocket science. You can put a team together that can play some decent football. But, you've got to do it for 46 games. Rotherham are nothing special, neither were Shrewsbury. They both have strapping lads and they just keep churning out the same percentage football., it's just their average football is more consistent over a season. The two games between us summed it up. They had the 10% more physical and mental conditioning when we didn't. It's not a big gap to close.

Just like our 2012/13 team.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 28, 2018, 12:05:18 am by eastender »
Fine margins , today's  finalists  , Rotherham  took 4pts of us with the last kick of the game, both Home and Away .
Shrewsbury  took 2pts off us in the match at the Keepmoat with the last kick of the game, then we drew at their place.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 28, 2018, 12:15:13 am by steve@dcfd »
The biggest difference is Rotherham scored 21 goals more than us in the season and 13 more than Shrewsbury. We need better players in the attacking part of our game. Let’s hope we sign them, they won’t be cheap.

wilts rover

• Forum Member

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 28, 2018, 10:05:23 am by idler »
A club the size of Sunderland will soon go through £20 million though. They have players on huge wages that might do an Andy Williams and see out a contract. The stadium itself probably has huge overheads too. A player signing for them will expect a high wage as well I would think.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 28, 2018, 01:23:35 pm by mrfrostsdad »
I think Sunderland have £40m to £50m to come in the next 2 seasons. And they've just had new owners take over who intend putting in a LOT of money. I'd be amazed if they don't go straight back up.
We were miles off the play offs this season and I think next year won't be any easier

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 28, 2018, 02:59:46 pm by selby »
  Just been said on Talksport that Aston Villa have lost £800,000 A WEEK this season, as someone else said £20 million will not last long at that rate.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 28, 2018, 03:19:01 pm by swintonrover »
  Just been said on Talksport that Aston Villa have lost £800,000 A WEEK this season, as someone else said £20 million will not last long at that rate.

25 weeks. Not even half a year. It's insane what the financial difference is between us and them. Our highest ever wage budget was £8m.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 28, 2018, 03:55:11 pm by GazLaz »
Yes it is.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 28, 2018, 03:57:13 pm by GazLaz »
I think Sunderland have £40m to £50m to come in the next 2 seasons. And they've just had new owners take over who intend putting in a LOT of money. I'd be amazed if they don't go straight back up.
We were miles off the play offs this season and I think next year won't be any easier

The Sunderland owners are skint and are paying £40m for the club out of that income. Donald is looking for other investors but if they don’t come and they don’t get promoted this season they will be in serious trouble.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 28, 2018, 05:35:17 pm by RoversAlias »
Bloody hell those figures on Villa are ludicrous. I take it Grealish will be flogged to steady them this summer then?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012