Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:31:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Churlish to criticise after a win...  (Read 10913 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Churlish to criticise after a win...
« Reply #90 on October 29, 2017, 09:20:11 pm by ravenrover »
just seen the highlights, if anybody says that Williams chance from the far post knockdown was a sitter needs to look at it again it was behind him did well to even get a shot on it

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on October 29, 2017, 10:08:50 pm by RedJ »
I don't have an obsession that Williams will come good. I want him to because I want all of our players to do well, but I don't understand harping on about someone we had on loan a couple of years ago who's achieved not much since.

Who's harping on? I made one comment. If your referring to Rovers fans in general as I say I don't think he is on most Rovers fans minds either though I personally think he will still come good in the lower leagues somewhere. Can't say I have read of Rovers fans 'harping on' about Anderson on here. Sounds to me like you have a proverbial bee in your bonnet over nothing.

Again, I didn't say you personally. But in the summer (and in past windows since he got fit again) Rovers fans on here and elsewhere have been, for some reason, convinced he's the answer and seemingly desperate to get him back for reasons that escape me.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on October 29, 2017, 10:19:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Raven.

That's what I thought when I saw it at the time. By it's not quite correct. Watch it again. As the ball comes across from Rowe, Williams is stationary for a couple of seconds in a very good position. Marquis lays the ball off perfectly to precisely where Williams was stood. In the moment between Marquis's contact and the ball reaching him,  Williams takes half a step forward and right. It is that half step that puts him in the wrong place when the ball reaches him and, as you say, means that the ball arrives a bit behind him.

Small margins, but his instinctive movement turned a more or less unmissable chance into a tough one.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:32:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on October 30, 2017, 10:32:10 am by IDM »
Williams has been unlucky, he has been out of form and injured.  Also Fergie wanted him out so everything is/was stacked up against him.

If he is fit enough, for me, he starts tomorrow - and potentially at Ebbsfleet too. 

He has not been the same since he got crocked in added on time in the 3-2 win vs Barnet last year, when the opponent went unpunished by that joke of a referee.  That was the same Williams who had got to the near post to steer in a 90th minute winner that day.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on October 30, 2017, 11:00:26 am by GazLaz »
Is it a coincidence that our chance creation rocketed at the exact minute he me on?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on October 30, 2017, 12:30:01 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Having heard the radio commentary on Saturday and fans reactions, led me to believe Williams missed a sitter.

Having seen it now, as mentioned above, it wasn't a sitter by any means.

The lob wasn't that easy either, just hit it a bit firm. Any lower and keeper may have got it. The left foot shot just over was a good effort.

I think we should cut him some slack seeing as he's been out for a while!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on October 30, 2017, 12:55:26 pm by Bentley Bullet »
If it was Alick Jeffrey he'd a bust 'net!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on October 30, 2017, 01:37:00 pm by dickos1 »
Having heard the radio commentary on Saturday and fans reactions, led me to believe Williams missed a sitter.

Having seen it now, as mentioned above, it wasn't a sitter by any means.

The lob wasn't that easy either, just hit it a bit firm. Any lower and keeper may have got it. The left foot shot just over was a good effort.

I think we should cut him some slack seeing as he's been out for a while!

The bloke commentating was carrying on like it was the worst miss he'd ever seen

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on October 30, 2017, 01:49:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Is it a coincidence that our chance creation rocketed at the exact minute he me on?

Well aye. We'd just taken off a centre half and put a centre forward on. Against a tiring side. It tends to have that effect.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on October 30, 2017, 08:48:25 pm by pib »
Funny how some of our fans don't take to certain players.

Take David Cotterill a few years ago - involved in a high proportion of our goals, either scoring or assisting, but people found something to bash him for - he didn't charge around getting stuck in, wasn't very good at heading etc.

Williams - scores c. 30 goals in 2 seasons - a record that puts the vast majority of Rovers' strikers in our recent history to shame, BUT his finishing is sometimes erratic, he's crap when he's low on confidence, he visibly shows his frustration when he misses a chance etc etc.

Not saying he's immune to criticism but I do find it curious given that we don't often get a striker that can bag around 15 per season.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on October 30, 2017, 10:36:37 pm by dickos1 »
Marquis scored almost 30 goals in one season and he gets dogs abuse

TinyPortal © 2005-2012