Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:03:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Red heat warning  (Read 2820 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Red heat warning
« Reply #30 on July 16, 2022, 10:27:59 am by DonnyOsmond »
People moan about being too hot over here before jetting off to Spain, Turkey, Sharm.

But that's a choice people make, not everyone is forced to go to a 35c+ climate, some would prefer to go to somewhere milder. Also, those countries have infrastructure designed for that heat, we don't.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on July 16, 2022, 10:48:52 am by Bentley Bullet »
Go and stand in the freezer isles in Morrisons or Tesco.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 16, 2022, 01:24:37 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Try not to complain about the heat myself i absolutely hate our winters too much. We just need to adjust the way we live in the heat as much as we can.

My girlfriend is a reception teacher and with a class of 30 in an non air-conditioned class room it's madness to have the children in when its this hot. They learn nothing and bear in mind the classroom will always be 3-4 degrees hotter than outside. Hotter countries are better equipped having regularly having to live with the heat.

On the climate change generally it's madness people will still say it's not real. If the weather was always getting to this level as regularly as it is now buildings from decades ago would have been designed to better deal with it like in foreign countries. The fact they weren't just shows this isn't normal.

And don't give me the climate change is real but it's always happened can't prove it's man made etc etc. What kind of self destructive attitude to life that is. Even if you question the scientific evidence unless you can categorically say there is 0% chance of man made climate change we should try to reverse it. Given the potential impacts if the science is right (which it is) it's not worth the gamble of hoping this is natural.

If anyone hasn't watch Don't Look Up on Netflix that pretty much shows how people who deny climate change are acting right now.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 16, 2022, 03:28:07 pm by normal rules »
 despite the heat, the UV levels for uk are showing as High.
We’ve just got back from a week in caper Verde, where we have been a few times. The uv there is always high, and quite often very high or even Extreme.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on July 16, 2022, 10:32:26 pm by Dagenham Rover »
1976 marching round a parade square in the Forces. as a little un if it got hot in the classroom  we all got took outside for lessons on the field I get the impression the biggest problem is a lack of common sense

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on July 17, 2022, 01:52:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 17, 2022, 02:15:31 pm by ncRover »
I’m not denying climate change or the contribution of man to it (although there are likely other factors we don’t yet understand).

But the vast majority of temperature related deaths globally are from the cold.

Yes we need to do something about the climate but we can’t tear up our economic gains of the last 100 years (of which have made life on the planet for us infinitely better for everyone) just like that. But we also need to look after the planet better and pollute less for our health and for other species’.

Nuclear is the best option but the majority of climate activists don’t endorse it for some reason. We need to set an example for developing countries to follow in the coming decades of which actually offers a practical solution. Yes developing countries need to do their bit but only a rich country can afford clean energy.

Sensationalist reporting from the media contributes to people’s skepticism (see covid).

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 18, 2022, 12:33:41 pm by Not Now Kato »
I'm just grateful it's not snowing.

I'd hate to be shovelling snow in all this heat!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 18, 2022, 03:33:07 pm by Filo »
Runway at RAF Brize Norton has melted

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 18, 2022, 03:52:39 pm by wilts rover »
I’m not denying climate change or the contribution of man to it (although there are likely other factors we don’t yet understand).

But the vast majority of temperature related deaths globally are from the cold.

Yes we need to do something about the climate but we can’t tear up our economic gains of the last 100 years (of which have made life on the planet for us infinitely better for everyone) just like that. But we also need to look after the planet better and pollute less for our health and for other species’.

Nuclear is the best option but the majority of climate activists don’t endorse it for some reason. We need to set an example for developing countries to follow in the coming decades of which actually offers a practical solution. Yes developing countries need to do their bit but only a rich country can afford clean energy.

Sensationalist reporting from the media contributes to people’s skepticism (see covid).

Aren't China and India the biggest users of solar power?

We need to have a mixture of energy sources, the situation with Russia has shown that just relying on one leaves yourself hostage to whoever has the raw material for it.

We are an island - why aren't we utilising tidal power? And investing in hydrogen - which is apparently the cheapest.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on July 18, 2022, 05:12:50 pm by glosterred »
Runway at RAF Brize Norton has melted

Not for the first time, Luton runway has melted as well

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 18, 2022, 08:13:27 pm by scawsby steve »
Bit of context for our 1976ers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/willnorman/status/1548547271725240323

And a bit of context for you. Yes, these temperatures are hotter than in 1976, but that heatwave lasted for 4 months, and bleached gardens, fields, and cricket grounds.

There's never been a heatwave since, in this country, that's lasted that long.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 18, 2022, 08:28:11 pm by Sprotyrover »
I did a month Outward bound at Aberdovey in 1976, loved it! But it was uncomfortable at times and we never slept indoors The Sea schilling pRt of it was ace but up in the Mountains you couldn’t drink the Water as what little there was had sheep shit in it!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on July 18, 2022, 09:14:52 pm by ravenrover »
Reminds me of Don Valley end of year school camp 1967 at Goathland, packing up on last day having taken all the tents and marquees down I was parched. Only water was the river scrambled down had a good swig looked upstream and saw a dead sheep in the water, never tasted anything else like it till I tried a pint of Shipstones, it had the same effect

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on July 18, 2022, 09:22:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

And a bit of context for you. Yes, these temperatures are hotter than in 1976, but that heatwave lasted for 4 months, and bleached gardens, fields, and cricket grounds.

Big deep breath...

Have a look again at that link I posted. And look at the whole world, not just Britain.

Think: "climate". Not: "weather".

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 18, 2022, 10:08:18 pm by wilts rover »
Posted below for ease of viewing.

In 1976 there was a small change in the movement of the Gulf Stream that dragged up hot air from North Africa and sat over the UK for weeks.

Today - the world is on fire. Doesn't matter if you believe it or not. The world is on fire:

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 18, 2022, 10:30:33 pm by River Don »
They are expecting record breaking temperatures in Scotland too. Tuesday could see the thermometer hitting an unprecedented 16c. Some are even considering turning the central heating off!

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 18, 2022, 10:55:27 pm by Nudga »

In 1976 there was a small change in the movement of the Gulf Stream that dragged up hot air from North Africa and sat over the UK for weeks.

Today - the world is on fire. Doesn't matter if you believe it or not. The world is on fire:

Next slide please.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on July 18, 2022, 11:13:08 pm by Janso »
They are expecting record breaking temperatures in Scotland too. Tuesday could see the thermometer hitting an unprecedented 16c. Some are even considering turning the central heating off!

No way would a Scotsman even consider turning on the gas with the temperature above -2.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 18, 2022, 11:45:58 pm by belton rover »
I’m not a climate change denier, but I do feel it important to point out that ‘Don’t Look Up’ is fiction. Like ‘2012’ or ‘Planet of the Apes’.
The way some people appear to be using it as some sort of scientific proof that we will soon be extinct is a bit silly.

I enjoyed it, all the same.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 18, 2022, 11:49:21 pm by belton rover »

Big deep breath...

Have a look again at that link I posted. And look at the whole world, not just Britain.

Billy. You seem to be taking more and more deep breaths before replying just lately. Be careful - especially in this weather - we wouldn’t want you passing out or anything.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on July 19, 2022, 12:58:55 am by SydneyRover »
''Court orders UK government to explain how net zero policies will reach targets
Green activists brought challenge, arguing climate change strategy did not spell out how carbon emissions cuts would be achieved''

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/18/court-orders-uk-government-to-explain-how-net-zero-policies-will-reach-targets

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 19, 2022, 05:44:40 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Today showing why the people saying things like "People go abroad for this weather", etc are daft. Like I said earlier in the thread our infrastructure isn't designed for this weather.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 19, 2022, 06:10:22 pm by normal rules »
In 76 it never got above 35.9c
Over 40 is a whole new ball game.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on July 19, 2022, 06:26:36 pm by glosterred »
Liked this

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 20, 2022, 09:41:52 am by Axholme Lion »

Big deep breath...

Billy. You seem to be taking more and more deep breaths before replying just lately. Be careful - especially in this weather - we wouldn’t want you passing out or anything.

That's because he gets frustrated when someone on here dares not to agree with his every word.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on July 20, 2022, 11:40:13 am by SydneyRover »

Quite surprised re the Guardian headline ''A wake up call'' only if you haven't been paying attention, these fires, megafires have been occurring in the US, Spain, Oz ........... etc for some time. And the floods, the melting glaciers, the thawing going on in Siberia .........

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 15, 2022, 07:42:16 pm by ncRover »

Quite surprised re the Guardian headline ''A wake up call'' only if you haven't been paying attention, these fires, megafires have been occurring in the US, Spain, Oz ........... etc for some time. And the floods, the melting glaciers, the thawing going on in Siberia .........

All of which would continue if we magically stopped every carbon emission tomorrow.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on August 16, 2022, 08:41:39 am by i_ateallthepies »

All of which would continue if we magically stopped every carbon emission tomorrow.

So, let's do nothing then.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 16, 2022, 10:18:00 am by ncRover »

So, let's do nothing then.

If you look at my previous post you’ll see that that isn’t my viewpoint.

This is a balancing act. Going net zero too quick, especially in light of the Russia situation would freeze and starve people to death in a cold European winter (far more than would die if the world got 0.5C hotter).

TinyPortal © 2005-2012