Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 04:10:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What is the point of VAR  (Read 1804 times)

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
What is the point of VAR
« on July 09, 2020, 09:20:31 pm by EasyforDennis »
Just watching the Villa v Man Utd game and Jon Moss aided by VAR gives the most ridiculous penalty to Man Utd. Earlier Bournemouth v Spurs Harry Kane flattened in the area and no penalty given. Thank goodness we don't have VAR in league 1

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: What is the point of VAR
« Reply #1 on July 09, 2020, 09:28:15 pm by DonnyOsmond »
That's not VARs fault though. That's the refs fault.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 09, 2020, 09:34:10 pm by drfchound »
VAR is a terrible blight on the game.
No consistency and it doesn’t seem to get lots of the big decisions right.
What about the failure to give the Sheff Utd goal a few days ago when the keeper carried the ball into the net.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 09, 2020, 09:38:08 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
What about the failure to give the Sheff Utd goal a few days ago when the keeper carried the ball into the net.

VAR is good. The problem is that it's humans using it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 09, 2020, 09:48:11 pm by drfchound »

Perhaps I should have put that the use of VAR is a blight on the game.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 09, 2020, 09:53:49 pm by EasyforDennis »
That's not VARs fault though. That's the refs fault.

The ref got it wrong. Fair enough he gets one chance to see it. The ref sat in a studio can look at it over and over and he has no excuses whatsoever to get it SO WRONG!!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 09, 2020, 10:01:41 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

It shows us who the crap refs are though.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 09, 2020, 10:10:12 pm by EasyforDennis »

It shows us who the crap refs are though.

And there are far too many of them. English referees used to be the best in the world. I'm afraid there are very few now who could be classed as good referees

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 09, 2020, 10:14:53 pm by Retdon1 »

And that’s why it will never work

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 09, 2020, 10:37:17 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

If they can make it work like Hawkeye in tennis so the software makes the decisions instead of humans - and so both teams are judged using exactly the same criteria, then it'll work. And be a damn sight quicker, too.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 09, 2020, 11:15:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Spot on. How in the world can someone, who's had the advantage of reviewing the incident, come up with the wrong decision? Someone who's never played the game?

In Rugby, you hear the video ref talk through the decision with the on field ref. I'd like to hear how the VAR official came to that decision.

VAR is a means of giving the officials more chance of getting the decisions right. For example, the Bournemouth goal tonight was rightly chalked off so despite the cock ups, it's here to stay. .

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 10, 2020, 01:56:54 am by RoversAlias »

If they can make it work like Hawkeye in tennis so the software makes the decisions instead of humans - and so both teams are judged using exactly the same criteria, then it'll work. And be a damn sight quicker, too.

But Hawkeye in Tennis is cut and dry, the ball either lands in or out. It isn't the same with football - fouls, the severity of them, the point where you measure offside etc. etc.

It can never be as absolute as in tennis, but it can certainly work to benefit the game. Currently the system is not benefitting the game because the imbeciles using it, i.e. the referees, are not using it correctly. Their application is wrong either because they are inept at their jobs or because they are simply too arrogant to apply VAR as it should be. Or a mix of both.

They have admitted to getting it wrong in all three Premier League games today. That isn't good enough. What's worse is that all three of them should have been easily sorted out by VAR but those in the control room have got it so wrong.

The Kane one is laughable. He is shoved in the back in the penalty area and nothing given. I don't mind the on-pitch ref missing that in a crowded box but the VAR should award the spot kick every time on that.

Fernandes actually steps on Konsa trying to do a fancy turn, yet wins a penalty kick. You can see in real time that he steps on Konsa and isn't fouled, yet the referee (Jon Moss, the worst official in the top flight in my opinion) and the VAR decide it's a Man Utd penalty. Poor.

Ward-Prowse clearly falls over Gomes' leg anticipating contact and wins a soft penalty. I watched this live and cried out that he had clearly gone down too easily yet VAR agrees with the referee that it's a penalty. Thankfully Ward-Prowse picked himself up from the con and smacked the ball over off the crossbar. I still think Bednarek should have been sent off for DOGSO later on mind, yet the referee and VAR agreed on a yellow for that - how? It's either a foul and a red card or a good, clean tackle.

I'm so glad this system isn't used at our level yet because the officials would be hopeless with it if the supposed best in the country can't even get it right.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 10, 2020, 08:09:56 am by IDM »
When VAR was used in the World Cup, decisions for penalties and red cards which VAR looked at, were always referred to the on pitch referee to review and make the actual decision.

IMHO all VAR judgements should be made by the on pitch referee, including offside, who is the final arbiter.  Use the monitor, every time.  Be seen to be the one taking the decision, with the assistance of VAR but not directed by it.  It is there to help the on pitch red should he/she have missed something or potentially made a clear and obvious mistake.

VAR itself should not be making the calls.

Football should take a lead from rugby union, and i agree about the discussions being open to the fans to hear.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 10, 2020, 08:25:17 am by GazLaz »
It’s like everything, if you judge it on single events you can highlight major issues. The only way to judge it is over a season. If more correct decisions are made than when it wasn’t in place, it has to be a positive.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 10, 2020, 08:35:08 am by IDM »
It also needs to be used quicker.  If a ref can’t see a reason to change the decision after 30 - 60 seconds of viewing the monitor, it wasn’t a clear and obvious mistake..

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 10, 2020, 08:56:39 am by EasyforDennis »

But Hawkeye in Tennis is cut and dry, the ball either lands in or out. It isn't the same with football - fouls, the severity of them, the point where you measure offside etc. etc.

It can never be as absolute as in tennis, but it can certainly work to benefit the game. Currently the system is not benefitting the game because the imbeciles using it, i.e. the referees, are not using it correctly. Their application is wrong either because they are inept at their jobs or because they are simply too arrogant to apply VAR as it should be. Or a mix of both.

They have admitted to getting it wrong in all three Premier League games today. That isn't good enough. What's worse is that all three of them should have been easily sorted out by VAR but those in the control room have got it so wrong.

The Kane one is laughable. He is shoved in the back in the penalty area and nothing given. I don't mind the on-pitch ref missing that in a crowded box but the VAR should award the spot kick every time on that.

Fernandes actually steps on Konsa trying to do a fancy turn, yet wins a penalty kick. You can see in real time that he steps on Konsa and isn't fouled, yet the referee (Jon Moss, the worst official in the top flight in my opinion) and the VAR decide it's a Man Utd penalty. Poor.

Ward-Prowse clearly falls over Gomes' leg anticipating contact and wins a soft penalty. I watched this live and cried out that he had clearly gone down too easily yet VAR agrees with the referee that it's a penalty. Thankfully Ward-Prowse picked himself up from the con and smacked the ball over off the crossbar. I still think Bednarek should have been sent off for DOGSO later on mind, yet the referee and VAR agreed on a yellow for that - how? It's either a foul and a red card or a good, clean tackle.

I'm so glad this system isn't used at our level yet because the officials would be hopeless with it if the supposed best in the country can't even get it right.

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks Jon Moss is hopeless.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 10, 2020, 09:04:01 am by roversdude »
Is it not Hawkeye they use to determine if the ball crosses the line for a goal, I’m sure Chris Wilder will be a big fan of it

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 10, 2020, 10:01:24 am by DMnumber4 »
Is it not Hawkeye they use to determine if the ball crosses the line for a goal, I’m sure Chris Wilder will be a big fan of it

Beat me to it. That was obvious to the naked eye and when the software didn't work, VAR couldn't / didn't overturn it.

Baffling.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 10, 2020, 10:20:06 am by IDM »
I had thought the goal line tech involved sensors on the ball rather than relying on visuals from several cameras.?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 10, 2020, 11:14:05 am by RobTheRover »
I had thought the goal line tech involved sensors on the ball rather than relying on visuals from several cameras.?

No, there are no sensors in the ball.  That would affect the flight of the ball and creates something else to fail, particularly given the impacts the ball receives, so they abandoned that idea early on in the development.  Its the same as the tennis one - just cameras - and it triangulates the images to create a 3D depiction of the incident.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 10, 2020, 12:03:24 pm by IDM »
Maybe they need a couple more cameras, especially at Villa Park.!

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 10, 2020, 12:51:33 pm by EasyforDennis »
Unfortunately the problem isn't the actual var equipment. The problem is we have such poor referees when looking at the decisions in the var room. I am sure there is a reluctance to overrule their colleagues on the field. The solution should be to ask the on field referee to look at the pitch side monitor and he can be the sole arbiter on whether he made the right decision or not. The refe in the box should simply ask the on field referee to review a situation whether it be a bad challenge or a goal/penalty. I really cannot understand why the EPL are so reluctant to do this.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 10, 2020, 12:56:42 pm by IDM »
I agree, it has to be the on pitch ref making the final decisions..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012