Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:13:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: It’s time.  (Read 3774 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
It’s time.
« on April 29, 2024, 06:53:03 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Time to pay those monies towards the Rovers academy GazLaz. Thought I’d mention it (guess I just beat you to the punch?) so that the monies can be paid before the telephone lines at Rovers go in to ‘meltdown’ with supporters clambering for tickets.

Joe finished the season having scored 15 goals from ‘open play’, that’s £50 you ‘pledged’ for those 5 goals your stats ‘never saw coming’.

Rovers finished in a fantastic 5th place. Another £50 from you who believed the Rovers would not finish in the top half of the league, that’s £10 for each place Rovers finished above 10th.

I’ll pledge the same amount because as I’ve said before, it was never about the money, it was about belief in the manager & this group of players.

I will be calling Rovers tomorrow & pledging my £100, (if you need confirmation I will tell you who I spoke to & that although Colin C is the ‘handle’ I use on the forum, I will explain there will be another £100 coming for the academy from another source & if asked they can tell you Colin C has donated).

I trust your £100 will be forthcoming.

We have many, many differences on views expressed on this forum & will no doubt continue to have but, our one common ‘bond’ is the Rovers.

Here’s to ‘crossing swords’ in League 1 next season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: It’s time.
« Reply #1 on April 29, 2024, 07:18:11 pm by GazLaz »
I was waiting to see what he contributed in the playoffs. Even though those goals don’t count to the official tally they will be added to the donation tally.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 30, 2024, 11:14:21 am by Mike_F »
Good to see you both keeping true to your word. Regardless of your disagreements hopefully this'll be a "bury the hatchet" moment.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 30, 2024, 01:34:33 pm by Paul Simpson »

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 30, 2024, 06:31:53 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 30, 2024, 07:21:11 pm by scawsby steve »
Well done to both of you. Very generous.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 30, 2024, 09:55:44 pm by Colin C No.3 »
C’mon Joe, get a hat trick in both legs…..all from open play!

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 30, 2024, 10:04:54 pm by WarwickRover »
Perhaps you get more wrong than right on your forecasts ….. across a variety of subjects . Fair play to you accepting you lost the wager…. You topped it up. Well done and congratulations to Colin C vis via Doncaster Academy

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 01, 2024, 07:12:58 am by drfcsteve »
Perhaps you get more wrong than right on your forecasts ….. across a variety of subjects . Fair play to you accepting you lost the wager…. You topped it up. Well done and congratulations to Colin C vis via Doncaster Academy

From what I’ve seen it’s more that folk ignore when Gaz gets something right but like to pile on when he gets something wrong.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 01, 2024, 07:57:38 am by Pancho Regan »

From what I’ve seen it’s more that folk ignore when Gaz gets something right but like to pile on when he gets something wrong.

From what I've seen it's more a case that GazLaz uses the rafts of data and statistics at his disposal to make sweeping statements and definitive conclusions about players.
Mostly negative ones over the course of this season.

Fortunately, football doesn't work like that and I'm extremely glad it doesn't.

Anyway, fair play to GazLaz for stepping up to the plate regarding the outcome of the 'wager', and to ColinC for having the balls and the belief to lay the wager in the first place, and to match GazLaz's contribution despite winning the bet.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 01, 2024, 10:10:46 am by MachoMadness »

From what I've seen it's more a case that GazLaz uses the rafts of data and statistics at his disposal to make sweeping statements and definitive conclusions about players.

Anyway, fair play to GazLaz for stepping up to the plate regarding the outcome of the 'wager', and to ColinC for having the balls and the belief to lay the wager in the first place, and to match GazLaz's contribution despite winning the bet.
Past 3 months or so excepted, there hasn't exactly been much to be positive about on a player front for a few years now.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 01, 2024, 04:06:32 pm by Drover »
Well done both of you,proud of you to be Rovers family   :clapping: :scarf:

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 01, 2024, 04:54:03 pm by graingrover »
Would you believe that people who can so generous can be equally as nasty on here .

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 01, 2024, 05:04:01 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I agree, graingrover but if you are including Gazlaz in that judgement then I would have to disagree.  He's been the target of nastiness from a couple of people and for the most part has turned the other cheek.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 01, 2024, 05:19:45 pm by idler »
The thing is Gazlaz looks at things dispassionately for his job whereas most fans look at it as a fan first and foremost.
Hat I would like to know from Gazlaz is how are chances against MK Dons have narrowed over the last 20 odd games. We have a far better chance than earlier in the season of turning them over now. Even though we did beat them at home.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 01, 2024, 06:06:08 pm by GazLaz »
The thing is Gazlaz looks at things dispassionately for his job whereas most fans look at it as a fan first and foremost.
Hat I would like to know from Gazlaz is how are chances against MK Dons have narrowed over the last 20 odd games. We have a far better chance than earlier in the season of turning them over now. Even though we did beat them at home.

Neutral ground, one off game back when we played them in January MK would have been 1.85 (just bigger than 4/5) to beat us over 90mins. Now they would probably go off about 2.25 (5/4) at Wembley over 90mins.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 01, 2024, 06:50:57 pm by idler »
Thanks Gaz. It’s nice to get a feel for how things are going.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 01, 2024, 07:35:29 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Let’s hope this small ‘donation’ helps us to produce ‘our own’ Joe Ironside.

For me this was never intended to be a Colin C vs GAzLaz ‘choice’ between forum contributors.

Neither was it ‘blind faith’ vs stats.

It was about that ‘gut feeling’ you have as a supporter when the odds don’t look to be in ‘your favour’ as your team is floundering & all the ‘forecasts’ about players & the manager are brought into doubt. It’s so easy to go with the flow of data showing how unlikely it will be (we’re talking January) to reach the top ten place when your club lies 20th in position.

‘Easy’ to doubt Joe Ironside ever reaching 20 league goals for the first time in his career whether that be pens or otherwise.

I’ve never studied a spread sheet & in doing so then felt  comfortable in ‘dissing’ a player due to said stats.

I watch a player who game after game sweats blood for the shirt.

Call me ‘old fashioned’.

I’ll settle with that.

As for ‘gut feelings’ idler, what are yours ‘saying to you’? I hope you take comfort from the stats GazLaz has provided for you. I know your question wasn’t addressed to me so forgive for interceding.

This ‘gut’ of mine tells me we will be watching League 1 football next season……for what it’s worth.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 08:06:00 pm by Colin C No.3 »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 01, 2024, 09:07:39 pm by idler »
Let’s hope this small ‘donation’ helps us to produce ‘our own’ Joe Ironside.

For me this was never intended to be a Colin C vs GAzLaz ‘choice’ between forum contributors.

Neither was it ‘blind faith’ vs stats.

It was about that ‘gut feeling’ you have as a supporter when the odds don’t look to be in ‘your favour’ as your team is floundering & all the ‘forecasts’ about players & the manager are brought into doubt. It’s so easy to go with the flow of data showing how unlikely it will be (we’re talking January) to reach the top ten place when your club lies 20th in position.

‘Easy’ to doubt Joe Ironside ever reaching 20 league goals for the first time in his career whether that be pens or otherwise.

I’ve never studied a spread sheet & in doing so then felt  comfortable in ‘dissing’ a player due to said stats.

I watch a player who game after game sweats blood for the shirt.

Call me ‘old fashioned’.

I’ll settle with that.

As for ‘gut feelings’ idler, what are yours ‘saying to you’? I hope you take comfort from the stats GazLaz has provided for you. I know your question wasn’t addressed to me so forgive for interceding.

This ‘gut’ of mine tells me we will be watching League 1 football next season……for what it’s worth.
I’ve been having gut feelings about Rovers games since 1958 Colin and have probably been wrong as many or more times than being right. My gut feeling is that with this team we will always have a fair chance. By the same token History also points to not having the rub of the Green and slipping up. I am cautiously optimistic but taking nothing for granted. All I ask is that we give it our best shot and on our day we can beat any of the other three.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 03, 2024, 09:48:30 pm by Pancho Regan »

Really Dave?

I’m sure you have your own feeling for how things are going without having to refer to another source.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 03, 2024, 09:51:03 pm by Pancho Regan »

Past 3 months or so excepted, there hasn't exactly been much to be positive about on a player front for a few years now.

That depends whether you’re a positive supporter or a negative one.

I’ve been taking a lot of pleasure from the performances of Joe Ironside, Luke Molyneux and Owen Bailey all season.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 03, 2024, 10:11:14 pm by GazLaz »

Really Dave?

I’m sure you have your own feeling for how things are going without having to refer to another source.

Yes Dave. Never have any interest in other peoples opinions or conclusions. That’s just a ridiculous thing to do.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 03, 2024, 10:19:31 pm by Chris Black come back »
Hahaha.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 03, 2024, 10:20:02 pm by idler »

Really Dave?

I do have my own feelings Neil but it is always nice to have other insights.  Sometimes hope and expectation can cloud judgement  it we always know that it is possible to defy the odds. Otherwise why would we follow the Rovers for decades after what we have been through.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 04, 2024, 07:43:02 pm by Pancho Regan »

Really Dave?

I do have my own feelings Neil but it is always nice to have other insights.  Sometimes hope and expectation can cloud judgement  it we always know that it is possible to defy the odds. Otherwise why would we follow the Rovers for decades after what we have been through.

Agree totally Dave.

I’m just saying I don’t personally feel the need to check in with GazLaz to get a feel for how things are going.
I see what I see when I watch my team, and I’ve had confidence all season that GM and this squad would deliver a good season for us.
I don’t need stats to inform my opinion, that’s all.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 04, 2024, 07:49:02 pm by Pancho Regan »

Really Dave?

Yes Dave. Never have any interest in other peoples opinions or conclusions. That’s just a ridiculous thing to do.

I enjoy reading lots of opinions and conclusions on here GazLaz.

Just not everyone’s.

I think your obsession with data and stats is not for me; I don’t need data to tell me how we’re doing, I can see it with my own eyes and feel it in my own soul.

I’ve had faith in this manager and this group all season.
You haven’t.
That’s fine, ‘vive la difference’.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 04, 2024, 08:46:19 pm by NickDRFC »
Question for all the data haters - if it’s such nonsense, why does every football club in the country rely on it?

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 04, 2024, 10:16:25 pm by Bollinger »
Question for all the data haters - if it’s such nonsense, why does every football club in the country rely on it?

They don’t. They use it. It is an element. A point of interest and reference but they don’t ‘rely’ on it.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 04, 2024, 10:29:47 pm by Drover »

They don’t. They use it. It is an element. A point of interest and reference but they don’t ‘rely’ on it.

:that:

Darren

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 04, 2024, 10:39:56 pm by Darren »
I'm 63 this year and have supported my club since i was eleven, not once have me and my mates sat on a coach or train on our way to a away match or in a Donny boozer before a home match and said "Anyone seen the latest data? Because that will really influence my love of our club today!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012