Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:50:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: This transfer window...  (Read 10185 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: This transfer window...
« Reply #30 on January 02, 2020, 04:04:03 pm by Alan Southstand »
Don’t shoot the messenger, Filo. I have absolutely no knowledge of anyone’s  history on twitter. I just thought it was an interesting comment, when we’re supposed to be in talks with KS about extending his contract, which, as you know, has not been announced yet.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 02, 2020, 04:23:21 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Hull are supposedly after Wilks, which given their interest in him in the summer seems quite likely. They may be losing Bowen and Riszicky? (excuse spelling) so could be feasible that Sadlier may be a secondary target.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 02, 2020, 04:23:52 pm by steve@dcfd »
Latest from a Liam Hoden’s on Twitter:

From what I understand, it's unlikely Rovers will announce a new signing until early next week, ahead of the Shrewsbury game. That doesn't mean it won't be completed before then though

On this same topic/thread, someone has claimed that Kieran Sadlier is on his way to Dull. Is that why we’re rumoured to be interested in yet another loan for Semenyo at Bristol City?

I would n’t believe what that person says, he’s reknowned fot talking b*llocks
But surely posters on this forum with an ear to an insider or has had a friendly word with GB will know if true or not.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 02, 2020, 04:26:36 pm by firestarter »
Latest from a Liam Hoden’s on Twitter:

From what I understand, it's unlikely Rovers will announce a new signing until early next week, ahead of the Shrewsbury game. That doesn't mean it won't be completed before then though

On this same topic/thread, someone has claimed that Kieran Sadlier is on his way to Dull. Is that why we’re rumoured to be interested in yet another loan for Semenyo at Bristol City?

I would n’t believe what that person says, he’s reknowned fot talking b*llocks

Good old Bryan Vaughn eh.. he does love stirring things up doesn’t he

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 02, 2020, 04:34:49 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Herbie Kane and Malik Wilks would do wonders for this team

Just had a chat with my Dull supporting pal. Seems the rumour over there is that they’re preparing bids for both of these. Also, don’t be surprised if an offer is made for Whiteman. No rumours about Sadlier though.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 02, 2020, 04:36:03 pm by IDM »
Not really difficult to suggest Hull might be interested in those players..

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 02, 2020, 05:36:42 pm by RoversAlias »
No, not at all. It's the easiest link in the world to go "Hull want this Donny player" since McCann managed a lot of them last year, and in the case of players like Wilks, Kane and Sadlier, he brought them in here.

Silly season is upon us, as is the case with every window, so everything like that should be taken with a pinch of salt, if even that.

There's also a new "DRFC Transfer Rumours" Twitter account that is almost certainly just throwing stuff at a wall and hoping something sticks. But some fans rush to believe anything that is posted and that's what ends up giving such accounts traction, even though most are pure fiction.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 02, 2020, 10:49:25 pm by steve@dcfd »
Not really hard to say Hull may be interested on those players just like it’s not hard to say we will not sign a striker on a permanent contract with a transfer fee as our history in the last 4 years proves that. Unless our assets are sold first.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 10:54:37 pm by steve@dcfd »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 03, 2020, 08:04:34 am by Alan Southstand »
Our ‘asset’ was sold first and that’s why we haven’t got a striker!

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 03, 2020, 08:13:21 am by 5 on Tour »
The one place we probably don’t need more options currently is the wing. Yet we are being linked with some. Adelakun of Bristol being the latest one. If we are looking at wingers then maybe Sads is going. I do hope not though.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on January 03, 2020, 08:16:38 am by IDM »
Alfie May has been used as a wide player hasn’t he.?

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 03, 2020, 08:59:34 am by Donnybax »
The one place we probably don’t need more options currently is the wing. Yet we are being linked with some. Adelakun of Bristol being the latest one. If we are looking at wingers then maybe Sads is going. I do hope not though.
we only have sadlier and Taylor as senior wingers?

Graham Hirst

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 03, 2020, 09:30:16 am by Graham Hirst »
I'm a bit concerned if media reports are correct that we are looking at a Quote,, young prolific premiership youth striker, can't help thinking we've been here before, prolific playing U18/ U23 totally different to league level, surely we need the experience now to kick on, Sterling didn't work and Ennis for all his hard work is not gonna get the goals we need to move up table

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 03, 2020, 09:47:39 am by 5 on Tour »
we only have sadlier and Taylor as senior wingers?

We’ve also got May(assuming he doesn’t go) and Watters and Copps(on the right with Gomes centrally earlier this season) and Blair to come back.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 03, 2020, 10:03:28 am by Campsall rover »
I'm a bit concerned if media reports are correct that we are looking at a Quote,, young prolific premiership youth striker, can't help thinking we've been here before, prolific playing U18/ U23 totally different to league level, surely we need the experience now to kick on, Sterling didn't work and Ennis for all his hard work is not gonna get the goals we need to move up table
Once again, and this is getting boring now. Who is a prolific goal scorer at our level and is not currently under contract at another club?
We would have to fork out a vastly inflated transfer fee to tempt his club to part in January.

Question is, do you and others on here think we should go down that route?

Or the alternative is to wait until the summer when players are out of contract and we can get him for nothing.

Option no 2 i think is the best one is it not?

The Premier league U21/U23 route is the only realistic option that is open to us unless we bring in another Thomas or Bingham. I don’t think any of us want DM to take that chance again.

So a bit of realism is needed. Why is it some people still think we are going to get a top striker signed on a permanent transfer now is way beyond being optimistic. It’s quite frankly fantasy imo.

So let DM do the best he can this month and if we don’t make the play offs we’ll is it a disaster. No it isn’t.
Having said that I still think we have every chance. It’s wide open this season. No one is running away with the league now and i think the top 6 teams will change multiple times before this season is over.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:08:09 am by Campsall rover »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on January 03, 2020, 10:31:17 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think you're bang on Campsall. The vast majority of business that'll be done in January outside the Premier League will be loans. In fact you can see that already.

Upper tier clubs have an excess of young talent they need to get out. Clubs at our level are queing up to take them on as the alternative is paying inflated fees and wages for established players. Unless you're like Sunderland etc., who can take bigger risks. Will Grigg is a fine example of what could wipe us out if it didn't work out. Perhaps Blackpool are praying that they can turn the form of the injury prone player around but at what cost?

Of course there will be those like Leon Clarke who's clubs want shut but they'll be in no rush to move till the end of the window.

So do you wait for a bidding war or act now?

It's just reality. As Campsall says, the summer is really the time to sign out of contract players on permanents. There may be the odd exception but there' s no point getting into a tis about it.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on January 03, 2020, 10:39:38 am by dickos1 »
Grant ward would’ve been a good signing for us, he’s had a bad injury which doesn’t mean he’s injury prone.
The players that are out of contract in the summer we need to be offering contracts to now.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 03, 2020, 10:40:55 am by Canadian Rover »
How much would Ennis be worth in the transfer market currently?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on January 03, 2020, 11:43:20 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
How much would Ennis be worth in the transfer market currently?

I doubt Wolves would have even assessed his worth as he's still a developing player. Probably in a similar position to Herbie where they'll want to review his progress after his loan. To be honest, it's hard even for us to assess his potential with the disrupted season he's had. For any youngster coming in it's hard to be consistent, especially as an attacker who will always be judged on goals.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 03, 2020, 12:09:22 pm by Alan Southstand »
I’m sorry Campsall, but wasn’t Marquis under contract? Didn’t stop us from letting him go, but at the same time we didn’t see fit to replace him. None of us would be discussing this right now, IF we’d done what we should have done and got someone lined up before letting him go.

Players that are coming to the end of their contracts are there for the taking, if you make a realistic bid AND offer the right wages. It really is that simple. I know about as much as you as to who is or isn’t available, in January, but there are plenty of people better qualified, and have the resources, to come up with a list of potential, good quality, players.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 03, 2020, 12:17:25 pm by IDM »
That and finding a player who’s family and or wife’s family are local..

Both the Marquis and Andrew departures were influenced by family reasons, which is understandable.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on January 03, 2020, 01:16:40 pm by silent majority »
I’m sorry Campsall, but wasn’t Marquis under contract? Didn’t stop us from letting him go, but at the same time we didn’t see fit to replace him. None of us would be discussing this right now, IF we’d done what we should have done and got someone lined up before letting him go.

Players that are coming to the end of their contracts are there for the taking, if you make a realistic bid AND offer the right wages. It really is that simple. I know about as much as you as to who is or isn’t available, in January, but there are plenty of people better qualified, and have the resources, to come up with a list of potential, good quality, players.

Interesting how some people take a situation and adapt it so that it becomes a criticism of the club and fits with their view about the way business should be done.

Let me add one bit of info for you, the Marquis deal was never, ever, that simple.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 03, 2020, 01:19:05 pm by redarmy82 »

Interesting how some people take a situation and adapt it so that it becomes a criticism of the club and fits with their view about the way business should be done.

Let me add one bit of info for you, the Marquis deal was never, ever, that simple.

What happened then, to the two players who Moore had lined up, hours after Marquis left, who in his words, had better records than Marquis?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 03, 2020, 01:25:13 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm really not sure what people can't understand about transfers falling through for a multitude of reasons. It's as if some desperately want to believe the club is trying to be purposefully rubbish so just decided not to bother replacing Marquis.

Sometimes fees can't be met, or contract terms. Sometimes a player just changes his mind on joining for whatever reason.

Moore and Rovers tried to get signings in up front in the summer. It didn't work out, it happens. Teams as lofty as Barcelona, Arsenal, Everton and Spurs failed to secure key targets that they felt they needed in the summer, it isn't just little Donny Rovers.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 03, 2020, 01:35:55 pm by Alan Southstand »
Martin, I’m not adapting anything. You’re coming at it from a completely different angle to me, in that you have ‘insider’ knowledge that me and thousands of other supporters are not privy to.

The Club must have known, for some time, that John was wanting away, so, in my view, you have ‘contingency plans’ in place. Once realistic bids were made then the contingency plans are initiated, and Pompey asked to wait until we got our replacement in.

Anyway, it matters not one jot, because whatever the circumstances, he was allowed to leave. And we’ve suffered for it ever since. It might be a ‘veiled’ criticism of the Club, but I think it’s a valid one. Surely, the Club can understand how people are feeling about it and they should be able to see the point of view.

Going half a season with no recognised striker at the Club is not good.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 03, 2020, 01:37:57 pm by wing commander »
I'm really not sure what people can't understand about transfers falling through for a multitude of reasons. It's as if some desperately want to believe the club is trying to be purposefully rubbish so just decided not to bother replacing Marquis.

Sometimes fees can't be met, or contract terms. Sometimes a player just changes his mind on joining for whatever reason.

Moore and Rovers tried to get signings in up front in the summer. It didn't work out, it happens. Teams as lofty as Barcelona, Arsenal, Everton and Spurs failed to secure key targets that they felt they needed in the summer, it isn't just little Donny Rovers.

I take that on board as I do SM's comment on the Marquis transfer which was inevitable,but whatever your opinion on what happened imbetween and who and why it happened..The reality is from the moment we missed that penalty in the play offs to the moment the transfer window shut.We managed to lose a lot of quality Doncaster Rovers players who were out of contract,a quality defender who was available on a free after his loan,our only striker who consistently scored goals and replaced them with youngsters with no experience,who have struggled both in fitness and experience, and a couple of short term strikers with poor records who nobody really wanted on short deals...

Leaving us with only a few contracted Doncaster players who are good enough, whose fault that is we can argue all day long but that's the bottom line as far as I'm concerned...

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 03, 2020, 01:38:38 pm by IDM »
Who’s to say those contingency plans weren’t enacted, but didn’t succeed for whatever reason.?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 03, 2020, 01:42:32 pm by steve@dcfd »
Grant ward would’ve been a good signing for us, he’s had a bad injury which doesn’t mean he’s injury prone.
The players that are out of contract in the summer we need to be offering contracts to now.
Would we have been able to compete with Blackpool and Rotherham (who lost out)on a free transfer whether it’s now or summer there would have been competition for their signature. Less we forget we have only signed two league recognised strikers in the last four years. Marquis was when we were in league 2.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on January 03, 2020, 01:46:21 pm by dickos1 »
Who’s to say those contingency plans weren’t enacted, but didn’t succeed for whatever reason.?

Who’s to say they were
You can only go on the evidence in front of you.

And wing commander explains it perfectly

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on January 03, 2020, 01:49:41 pm by IDM »
But all the evidence isn’t in front of you, or me..

Unless the club discloses all its discussions we will never know.. not signing enough players - in our opinion - doesn’t mean we didn’t try to.

Some fans conclude we mustn’t have tried, which I find annoying.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012