Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:47:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ukraine  (Read 230496 times)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Re: Ukraine
« Reply #570 on February 27, 2022, 11:25:50 am by tyke1962 »
I take the point that the first casualty in warfare is the truth but the Ukrainians are claiming to have killed so far over 4k Russian soldiers .

Whether that's accurate I obviously don't know but I wouldn't be surprised either given the bravery and resistance they are showing the world .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #571 on February 27, 2022, 11:36:46 am by SydneyRover »
Yep, me to, I was blocked trying to crowd fund a couple of stinger missiles

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #572 on February 27, 2022, 11:53:49 am by normal rules »
I see Ukraine have set up a foreign legion for any people that want to travel there to help them defend. Liz Truss has said the uk govt supports this also.
I can see a few going for UK.
I probably would if my circumstances were different.

Interestingly, i wonder if the uk and other countries slip in a few proper soldiers under the guise of “foreign legion” 

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #573 on February 27, 2022, 12:02:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Language matters.

People who truly want to virtue signal without explicitly criticising Putin for the ear criminal he is will use very carefully chosen language.

So Stop the War are talking about Russian "movement" in Ukraine. Like they've made a wrong turn on a day out.

Now Chelsea.
Wringing their hands and dabbing damp eyes over "the situation" in Ukraine.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2022/02/27/club-statement-on-the-conflict-in-ukraine

Call it out for what it is. An illegal, unprovoked war of aggression by a tyrrant. If you can't do that, shut the f**k up and spare us your sanctimony.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #574 on February 27, 2022, 12:08:09 pm by Metalmicky »
I've ran the full range of emotions today - really strange as I have no connection to the Ukraine.

I was in tears when saw a live report of all the people signing up and a work chain being formed to make Molotov cocktails..
I was angered when I saw the false reports from the Putin pack and the Russian media..
and I felt great pride in the united response of the European nations...... and the Russian public.

I'm also fast becoming a fan of President Volodymyr Zelensky...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-60539193

I felt an overwhelming sense of doom on Thursday and Friday - but today I feel like I'm sitting in my Ukrainian T-shirt and willing them on...

I've just given money to the cause, but can't help but feel that I wish I could do more for the people of my now second favourite country....... so very brave and resilient...

MM how do you donate money to the Ukrainian cause ?

I also want to donate .

Sorry - not looked in here for a while...

https://donate.redcross.org.uk/appeal/ukraine-crisis-appeal

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #575 on February 27, 2022, 12:11:16 pm by River Don »
Language matters.

People who truly want to virtue signal without explicitly criticising Putin for the ear criminal he is will use very carefully chosen language.

So Stop the War are talking about Russian "movement" in Ukraine. Like they've made a wrong turn on a day out.

Now Chelsea.
Wringing their hands and dabbing damp eyes over "the situation" in Ukraine.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2022/02/27/club-statement-on-the-conflict-in-ukraine

Call it out for what it is. An illegal, unprovoked war of aggression by a tyrrant. If you can't do that, shut the f**k up and spare us your sanctimony.

Heh, just read the STW statement on the war in Ukraine.

The majority of it decries British foreign policy. Putin invades Ukraine and it's all our fault! Who knew?

It mentions Russia and Ukraine 3 times and Britain 4 times. And Putin 0 times.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 12:38:18 pm by River Don »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #576 on February 27, 2022, 01:48:28 pm by River Don »
Putin says he's putting his nuclear deterance force on high alert.

I wonder if that's a response to Turkey?

It shows he's under pressure, let's just hope he's not completely unhinged.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #577 on February 27, 2022, 01:55:12 pm by Metalmicky »
From Beeb....

Putin puts Russia's strategic nuclear force on 'special alert'

Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered the Russian military to put its nuclear forces on "special alert" - the highest level of alert for Russia's Strategic Missile Forces.

Speaking to top military officials, including Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu, he said Western nations had taken "unfriendly actions" towards Russia and imposed "illegitimate sanctions".

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #578 on February 27, 2022, 02:22:11 pm by River Don »
.. Just read a report in the Guardian that the Ukrainians claim to have retaken Kharkiv and demoralised Russian soldiers are laying down their weapons.

I wonder if this might be partly behind the nuclear threats?

A dangerous moment.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #579 on February 27, 2022, 02:22:42 pm by mushRTID »
This is genuinely f**king terrifying now isn’t it.

He needs taking out.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #580 on February 27, 2022, 02:26:37 pm by River Don »
And this.

Zelenskiy: Ukrainian and Russian delegations to meet without preconditions

Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy said the Ukrainian and Russian delegations will meet without preconditions.

...have they actually done it?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #581 on February 27, 2022, 02:49:23 pm by tyke1962 »
From Beeb....

Putin puts Russia's strategic nuclear force on 'special alert'

Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered the Russian military to put its nuclear forces on "special alert" - the highest level of alert for Russia's Strategic Missile Forces.

Speaking to top military officials, including Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu, he said Western nations had taken "unfriendly actions" towards Russia and imposed "illegitimate sanctions".

My first thought having read that was that Putin isn't winning this conflict which isn't to say the Ukrainians are either .

His troops are clearly bogged down with progress slow if there's any progress at all .

Now the veiled  threats from a man clearly in a jam of his own making .

Dangerous time , no doubt .

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #582 on February 27, 2022, 03:20:16 pm by River Don »
And this.

Zelenskiy: Ukrainian and Russian delegations to meet without preconditions

Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy said the Ukrainian and Russian delegations will meet without preconditions.

...have they actually done it?

Ukraine's foreign minister: Ukraine-Russia talks with no preconditions 'already a victory'

Ukraine’s foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba said “we will not give up a single inch of our territory” ahead of talks agreed between the Ukrainian and Russian delegations.

Russia initially said it did not want talks, then said it wanted talks with conditions. Now, after a series of military setbacks that some observers say may have shocked Russian president Vladimir Putin, the conditions have been dropped – which Kuleba said was “already a victory”.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #583 on February 27, 2022, 03:20:26 pm by Filo »
Somewhere in the Barents Sea we will have a Submarine with our Nuclear Deterrent primed and ready to go to Moscow, I’m Sure America and France have also prepared

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #584 on February 27, 2022, 03:28:12 pm by Filo »
Those two Russian Generals at Putins news conference don’t look happy, I wonder if they are contemplating putting a bullet through his head

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #585 on February 27, 2022, 04:09:43 pm by BobG »
If this does come to some kind of peaceful end with Putin feeling resentful, thwarted and blocked, that guy is gonna have one enormous chip on his shoulder. And he doesn't forget.The best outcome then would be some kind of forced removal from power . Without that sooner or later wecwill have a re run with a guy who will have worked hard to find his way around the problems he's encountered this time.

BobG

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #586 on February 27, 2022, 04:10:02 pm by tyke1962 »
Those two Russian Generals at Putins news conference don’t look happy, I wonder if they are contemplating putting a bullet through his head

You'd hope so or even arresting Putin and putting him on trial for crimes against humanity .

Problem with these dictatorships is that nobody can trust anyone and you are in lone gunman territory if you are to take him out .

Even those wanting rid of Putin would arrest his assassin and put as much distance between themselves and his assassin .

Self preservation unfortunately is pretty high currency .

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #587 on February 27, 2022, 04:36:50 pm by tyke1962 »
Who'd be in President Zelensky's shoes right now ?

If these peace talks do go ahead he risks massive loss of life with his fellow Ukrainians .

Or

He more or less signs his country over to Putin's control .

My gut feeling is he won't so much as hand over one inch of Ukrainian soil to Putin willingly .

Too many lives lost already to do that but none the less what a position this man is in .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #588 on February 27, 2022, 05:12:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I saw a video of Putin yesterday at his desk. He reached his right hand to pick up some papers and missed them. He then looked down at his hand before reaching across and picking up the papers at the second time of asking.

I've heard rumours that he is suffering early stage Parkinson's. That would fit with that micro scene yesterday. I wonder if he is feeling his mortality.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #589 on February 27, 2022, 06:18:35 pm by MachoMadness »
Let's hope not, BST. The last thing the world needs is that lunatic feeling like he's got nothing to lose.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #590 on February 27, 2022, 06:25:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The best thing the UK could do right now is removing visa restrictions on people fleeing war zones.

The UK Nationality Bill gives the right to remove asylum claims from war refugees for a range of spurious criteria, none of which are relevant to the need to evacuate for personal safety.

Any politician who opposes offering support to refugees in these circumstances is a moral leper of the worst kind.
We managed to find visa approvals for Russian oligarchs in their droves when we were looking to enable money laundering on an industrial scale.

Let your MP know that this is the least we can do!

100%.

And suggestions like this, from an obscure Tory MP that refugees should apply for fruit-picking jobs to get a visa are...beyond words.

https://mobile.twitter.com/deletedbyMPs/status/1497697221252366337

I cannot emphasise enough that absolutely noone should be trying to make cheap political points out if this catastrophe. But equally, the Govt and ruling party must be held to account if we are going to show our true soul in dealing with the humanitarian disaster.

One example, but this is disgusting.

A 69 year old widow escaped from Kharkov to Hungary. She got a flight to Paris and intended to come to the UK to join her daughter who is a university lecturer.

She was denied entry by the UK Border Force.

Just...what the f**k have we become in this country?

PS. This 69 year old widow is now stuck in France. She doesn't speak a word of French and has no friends or family there.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #591 on February 27, 2022, 06:31:21 pm by wilts rover »

Could have been as reports coming in that he now has one General less.One of the two, his Chief of Staff, supposed to have just resigned:

https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1498000670896631815

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #592 on February 27, 2022, 06:37:00 pm by albie »
Ireland doing the right thing:
https://twitter.com/HMcEntee/status/1497158118509187076

Where are we?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #593 on February 27, 2022, 06:39:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Christ you have to wonder if the Russian army has the stomach for this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1497946816087789569

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #594 on February 27, 2022, 06:53:33 pm by Filo »

Could have been as reports coming in that he now has one General less.One of the two, his Chief of Staff, supposed to have just resigned:

https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1498000670896631815

Tweet been deleted, but if true he’s probably dead now, or on his way to Siberia to break rocks up for the rest of his life

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #595 on February 27, 2022, 07:02:08 pm by River Don »
Christ you have to wonder if the Russian army has the stomach for this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1497946816087789569

Is that what's left of the Chechen terror squad?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #596 on February 27, 2022, 07:39:14 pm by Metalmicky »
I am incandescent with rage at the moment - so very emotional, frustrated and struggling to absorb all of this.  I did time in Pristina back in my forces day and swore I wouldn't put myself into this mindset or situation again in my lifetime. If I had the chance or opportunity I would gladly slot Putin without thinking about it..... really dark times.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #597 on February 27, 2022, 07:42:44 pm by albie »
EU now suspends visa requirements:
https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1498017173792514051?cxt=HHwWhoCz9dirg8opAAAA

Only UK now out of line.....embarrassing now from Patel and Johnson.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #598 on February 27, 2022, 08:20:38 pm by River Don »
The Daily Telegraph has satellite photos of a 3mile long column of vehicles and troops moving towards Kyiv.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #599 on February 27, 2022, 08:22:08 pm by rich1471 »
 He may have some of his assist frozen.The trustees of Chelsea's charitable foundation have not yet agreed to take control of the club, BBC Sport has learned.

On Saturday, Chelsea's Russian owner Roman Abramovich announced he was handing them "the stewardship and care" of the club.

The billionaire, who would remain the club's owner, made the move amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Members of the charitable foundation met on Sunday to discuss the situation.

But some have concerns over whether Charity Commission rules would allow them to run the club, and the foundation's lawyers are now exploring what can be done.

There are also understood to be some members of the foundation concerned about their legal liability if they agree to take on responsibility for running the club.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012