Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:48:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ukraine  (Read 230467 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Ukraine
« Reply #990 on March 05, 2022, 12:31:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Russia have called a "ceasefire" to allow citizens to escape two cities under seige. They're then bombing the escape routes out of those cities.

This is absolutely vile. We've said "never again" since the atrocities of WW2 and Nazi Germany yet here we are.

And Russian State TV is telling its audience nothing of that shelling, but saying Russia offered a ceasefire to allow civilians to escape but Ukrainian authorities have prevented anyone from leaving.

If there really is a vengeful God, I trust he will prepare an eternity of torture for those ruling Russia and lying to their people on an industrial scale.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #991 on March 05, 2022, 12:33:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Good on Unite.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-60631735

Our Govt might be doing next to f**k all to hit Russia, so it's up to ordinary people to do what they can.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #993 on March 05, 2022, 12:53:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I just cannot see a sensible end game for Putin here.

The very best case scenario is that his forces now quickly over run the cities and replace the Govt with a Moscow-friendly one.

But then there'll be year of guerilla warfare and tens of thousands of Russian troops will be needed to suppress it. There'll be thousands upon thousands of Russian deaths. It will cost a fortune. And Russia is going to face endless economic warfare from the West.

It doesn't make any sense at all.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #994 on March 05, 2022, 01:00:24 pm by SydneyRover »
Russia will now be indebted to China and will be dancing to it's tune for a long, long time. Totally misread by putin and agreed where would a sensible path come from in all this.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #995 on March 05, 2022, 01:01:33 pm by tyke1962 »

The very best case scenario is that his forces now quickly over run the cities and replace the Govt with a Moscow-friendly one.

But then there'll be year of guerilla warfare and tens of thousands of Russian troops will be needed to suppress it. There'll be thousands upon thousands of Russian deaths. It will cost a fortune. And Russia is going to face endless economic warfare from the West.

You can conquer a country and install a puppet government but conquering the people well that's another matter altogether .

The Russians haven't got the capability to control a nation and it's people of this size .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #996 on March 05, 2022, 01:05:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This is a brilliant analysis.

Sets out 30 years of Russian politico-military thinking, and concludes that Putin has misunderstood why he won previous conflicts, leading him to an existential mistake.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ruth_deyermond/status/1499862127322046465

One of the wonders of the internet is that it brings superb expert analysis like this straight to your phone. If you can wash off the tonnes of utter shite and deliberate misinformation that stops you getting to this in the first place

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #997 on March 05, 2022, 01:15:20 pm by tyke1962 »
Good on Unite.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-60631735

Our Govt might be doing next to f**k all to hit Russia, so it's up to ordinary people to do what they can.

I understand the computer hackers group " Anonymous " are working on bringing down Russian computer systems that are needed to such as run their train services and other infrastructure .

Every little helps .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #998 on March 05, 2022, 01:18:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Christ there are some brave individuals in Russia.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ggatehouse/status/1499892495513268225

Putin has spent 20 years isolating them and picking them off one by one. Anyone who ever looked like being a threat. I fear for this woman's safety.

And Gabriel Gatehouse's too.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #999 on March 05, 2022, 02:24:52 pm by River Don »

There might have been a chance to back out of this earlier on but now, he's gone ALL IN.

It's not at all clear how this can end now. Very dangerous times.

It seems he intends to occupy the place and I fear he'll have to be absolutely ruthless but can he afford to do this?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1000 on March 05, 2022, 02:52:57 pm by tyke1962 »
Marco Rubio who sits on the US defence council has just announced that Russia can only  sustain this level of invasion financially for just over another week .

He warns that this is a very dangerous situation because if he withdraws or even scales down his aggression he will lose face .

You can obviously draw your own conclusions on how that may play out to protect his ego .

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #1001 on March 05, 2022, 02:58:24 pm by Nudga »
Nudga

Tyke is letting off steam in response to the horror that Putin is unleashing.

You're criticising him for momentarily saying that Russia deserves some sort of equal karma in the future. But unless I'm mistaken, I don't see anywhere where you have criticised Russia ACTUALLY killing peaceful neighbours, right now.

f**k me, didn't take you long to jump in and start trolling me on this thread.

I honestly thought you of all people could see where I was coming from on this, but no, it's OK for him to blow off steam and yet I'm in the wrong because I didn't precurse my statement with condemnation of what Putin is doing like that was me giving full support to that bloated Kitson.

No, I feel sorry for the normal people of both sides, I don't want normal Russians to starve and don't want normal Ukrainians to get blown to bits.

Is that ok for you?

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #1002 on March 05, 2022, 02:59:52 pm by glosterred »
Looks better if you put the chart up Syd

If this is the Bloomberg chart it would seem as it’s wrong.

From the FCDO  Twitter feed

Bloomberg tweet is incorrect, they’ve subsequently apologised and taken down the graphs.  UK has sanctioned 228 individuals, entities & subsidiaries since invasion.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #1003 on March 05, 2022, 03:01:36 pm by glosterred »
Guided tour of the streets  of London, paved with Russian gold:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1499766468610863106

Anyone still think Vlad's man Bozo is going to deal with this?
Or any other members of the political establishment, Sir to Lord!
Corrupt to the core, every sinew.

UK foreign secretary Liz Truss posted a statement to Twitter following an announcement today that the UK will be bolstering sanctions against Russia.

From foreign secretary Liz Truss:

We have shown Putin that his invasion has consequences. In addition to one of the world’s biggest sanctions packages against Russia, we are ratcheting up pressure by introducing emergency legislation to go faster and harder on Putin’s enablers.

They will have nowhere to hide.

Compared to other countries and the EU, the UK has sanctioned the second-lowest number of entities since the Russian invasion, according to a visual by Bloomberg:

we live in a post truth world, it's all around us, say it often enough ...................

No they haven’t, you and Bloomberg are wrong and that chart has been removed and Bloomberg have apologised

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #1004 on March 05, 2022, 03:07:04 pm by glosterred »
Something else to think about

Not sure of the correctness of this info

« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 03:10:17 pm by glosterred »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1005 on March 05, 2022, 03:07:51 pm by drfchound »

UK foreign secretary Liz Truss posted a statement to Twitter following an announcement today that the UK will be bolstering sanctions against Russia.

We have shown Putin that his invasion has consequences. In addition to one of the world’s biggest sanctions packages against Russia, we are ratcheting up pressure by introducing emergency legislation to go faster and harder on Putin’s enablers.

Compared to other countries and the EU, the UK has sanctioned the second-lowest number of entities since the Russian invasion, according to a visual by Bloomberg:

we live in a post truth world, it's all around us, say it often enough ...................

No they haven’t, you and Bloomberg are wrong and that chart has been removed and Bloomberg have apologised

Dont believe all you read eh.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #1006 on March 05, 2022, 03:08:46 pm by glosterred »

Especially on Twitter

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1007 on March 05, 2022, 03:09:27 pm by drfchound »

Especially on Twitter

Twitter is gospel to some people on here.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1008 on March 05, 2022, 03:14:11 pm by River Don »
Russia’s foreign ministry has vowed to impose tough measures against British interests in Russia in retaliation to what it labelled London’s “sanctions hysteria” following Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine, Reuters reports.

It said that Britain had clearly chosen to move towards an open confrontation with Russia, leaving Moscow with no choice but to take as-yet-unspecified measures in response, which “will undoubtedly undermine British interests in Russia”.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #1009 on March 05, 2022, 04:12:46 pm by albie »
Sorry lads, I'm lost here.

I did not mention Bloomberg in the post I made.
It is a video about Russian money in London, and off shore tax havens.

Are you talking to Sydney?

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #1010 on March 05, 2022, 04:58:23 pm by glosterred »
Yes especially the second bold statement and Wilts who posted a picture

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #1011 on March 05, 2022, 05:11:47 pm by scawsby steve »
Putin has just said that he regards sanctions as a declaration of war; and we all know what he threatened if we declared war on him.

Get ready, folks, it looks like it's coming.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1012 on March 05, 2022, 05:14:08 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Putin has just said that he regards sanctions as a declaration of war; and we all know what he threatened if we declared war on him.

Other than nukes is there anything to worry about? If we did go to army v army war then NATO would obliterate Russia.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #1013 on March 05, 2022, 05:22:40 pm by scawsby steve »

Other than nukes is there anything to worry about? If we did go to army v army war then NATO would obliterate Russia.

Exactly, DO. That's why Putin has threatened nuclear war. It's to do with the "cornered rat" concept that he keeps alluding to.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1014 on March 05, 2022, 05:41:51 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

Putin has spent 20 years isolating them and picking them off one by one. Anyone who ever looked like being a threat. I fear for this woman's safety.

Neat analysis, though does it assume Putin is in this with the sole aim of annexing all of the Ukraine? From the beginning it seemed likely Putin was chancing his arm. Step by step he's gaining. There's a point at which he is likely to negotiate with the aim of gaining that land bridge to the Crimea, pmus the two eastern states, maybe other chunks. Most of this being justified by leaving Ukraine weakened, and gaining back lost Russian lands. Plus the proviso that Ukraine doesn't join NATO or the EU.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1015 on March 05, 2022, 05:43:37 pm by drfchound »
SS, WOULD HIS GENERALS ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN.
EKNOW HOW THINGS WOULD GO AND SO DO THEY.
WOULD THEY WANT TO KILL THEIR OWN FAMILY.

Edit, sorry about the capitals, i just can't be bothered to retype that.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1016 on March 05, 2022, 05:51:09 pm by wilts rover »
Something else to think about

Not sure of the correctness of this info

The UK sanctions dont kick in for 30 days - and how many Russian banks are there iin the EU to actually sanction?

https://twitter.com/business/status/1499699700085280771

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1017 on March 05, 2022, 05:54:28 pm by wilts rover »
Yes especially the second bold statement and Wilts who posted a picture

I posted the graph from Sydney's link. If other people have more up to date and reliable information they are welcome to post it too.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1018 on March 05, 2022, 05:58:24 pm by tyke1962 »

Neat analysis, though does it assume Putin is in this with the sole aim of annexing all of the Ukraine? From the beginning it seemed likely Putin was chancing his arm. Step by step he's gaining. There's a point at which he is likely to negotiate with the aim of gaining that land bridge to the Crimea, pmus the two eastern states, maybe other chunks. Most of this being justified by leaving Ukraine weakened, and gaining back lost Russian lands. Plus the proviso that Ukraine doesn't join NATO or the EU.

Putin's rhetoric about NATO and the West as a threat to Russia just doesn't wash with me and his apologists such as Galloway and Farage .

The West have done so much business with Putin it's actually embarrassing .

How on God's earth is that aggression ? .

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1019 on March 05, 2022, 06:01:25 pm by wilts rover »
Looks better if you put the chart up Syd

If this is the Bloomberg chart it would seem as it’s wrong.

From the FCDO  Twitter feed

Bloomberg tweet is incorrect, they’ve subsequently apologised and taken down the graphs.  UK has sanctioned 228 individuals, entities & subsidiaries since invasion.

Is the FCDO correct?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/60591547

I have scrolled back through Bloomberg and I can't find that apology. I think the chart was in a piece on sanctions they did which is behind a paywall. Have you got a link to the apology?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012