Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:53:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ukraine  (Read 230385 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Ukraine
« Reply #1140 on March 08, 2022, 12:19:37 am by SydneyRover »
The catch is Russia would cut off a massive chunk of income to help keep this war going. It would be a big gamble.

the thing is, if putin isn't squashed this time what has all the death and destruction in the Ukraine been for over the past 7-8 years, if putin wins this one it will give him strength to further his ambitions, he hasn't been deterred so far.

russia without putin and his cronies would be an enormous win for the world but not forgetting the sacrifices in Ukraine, it then it allows the world to focus on china.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1141 on March 08, 2022, 12:21:55 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Putin is threatening a little economic warfare of his own now.

He's threatening to shut off Nordstream 1.

I'm sorry to say, this will probably have a more immediate and impactful effect on Western Europe than anything our sanctions can do to Russia.

I disagree RD.

It'll badly damage us socially and economically. But we will come through. And the start of Spring is the least damaging time to do this.

The sanctions on Russia will devastate the country over 3-6 months. They will experience a Great Depression on steroids.

Evidence:

The Russian currency has fallen from 13 US cents/Rouble just before the invasion to 0.75cents/Rouble today.

That's the equivalent of the pound falling from the current $1.30/pound to 7cents/Pound.

Basically, Russia cannot afford to import anything at all from the West.

Flip side is that this is the reason Russian gas and oil has gone up massively in price in dollar terms. But that really only applies to oil and gas for us. For Russia, it applies to everything, they import. Clothes, cars, phones, insurance, computers, spare parts. All 20 times more expensive than they were a fortnight ago. 50 years worth of inflation in a fortnight. No modern economy can survive that.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1142 on March 08, 2022, 12:25:02 am by River Don »
Does that mean we won't be able to afford to go out and use our own cars and have to rely on Amazon to deliver our stuff?

Much more than that. Massive inflation in the cost of goods, including food.
It's a war mate. What do you expect?

Well yes but this is an escalation that takes its effects beyond the boundaries of Ukraine.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1143 on March 08, 2022, 12:26:28 am by SydneyRover »
Remaining stocks of western goods will leap in price compounding the effect of the dodgy rouble.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1144 on March 08, 2022, 12:28:37 am by Bentley Bullet »
Does that mean we won't be able to afford to go out and use our own cars and have to rely on Amazon to deliver our stuff?

Well yes but this is an escalation that takes its effects beyond the boundaries of Ukraine.
Well it's either that or surrender, isn't it?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1145 on March 08, 2022, 12:32:07 am by River Don »
The catch is Russia would cut off a massive chunk of income to help keep this war going. It would be a big gamble.

the thing is, if putin isn't squashed this time what has all the death and destruction in the Ukraine been for over the past 7-8 years, if putin wins this one it will give him strength to further his ambitions, he hasn't been deterred so far.

russia without putin and his cronies would be an enormous win for the world but not forgetting the sacrifices in Ukraine, it then it allows the world to focus on china.

I wonder what China makes of all this?

Certainly seeing a united western front quickly emerge against Russia must give them pause for thought over Taiwan.

If. Big IF. If Putin falls, then there might be an incredible opportunity to bring democracy and stability to Russia.

But China might bankroll Putin and buy his hydrocarbons.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1146 on March 08, 2022, 12:33:12 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Priti Patel said explicitly yesterday that there was a system in place to assist Ukrainian refugees arriving in Calais needing assistance applying for visas.

This is it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/andylines/status/1500837210895130629

What does it take before folk wake up to how incompetent, untruthful and nasty our Govt is?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1147 on March 08, 2022, 12:38:36 am by River Don »

Well it's either that or surrender, isn't it?

Well, abandon Ukraine.

I suppose we'll just have to face it but the news is it might start getting very tough for us too.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1148 on March 08, 2022, 12:40:52 am by BillyStubbsTears »
There's a really simple answer to this.

Do what Estonia and Sweden and Germany and Malta and Portugal and France and Netherlands and Luxembourg and Italy and Austria and Czechia and Greece and Lithuania and Cyprus and Latvia and Bulgaria and Croatia and Denmark and Spain and Romania and Slovakia and Poland and Ireland and Belgium are doing.

Tell the poor bas**rds they can come here without a f**king visa. Show some basic humanity.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1149 on March 08, 2022, 12:41:16 am by Bentley Bullet »
Apparently, China is a major part of this. It seems to me that China will support whoever is winning for financial purposes.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1150 on March 08, 2022, 12:53:06 am by BillyStubbsTears »
f**k me! The Ukrainians have killed Major General Gerasimov. He's a very senior Russian military leader.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1151 on March 08, 2022, 01:03:08 am by River Don »
I'm starting to be hopeful about events on the ground. It appears the Russians are stretched, logistics are breaking down, morale is rock bottom.

Christ knows how those troops feel in that northern column. Camped out in the woods night after night in the freezing cold, waiting for supplies of food, wondering where the next ambush might be.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1152 on March 08, 2022, 01:14:48 am by SydneyRover »
fmd, patel, raab, what a bunch of incompetents

''On a day of confusion and uncertainty for Ukrainian refugees making the 1,400-mile journey to Britain, the home secretary admitted that she has not yet set up a visa application centre (VAC) near the French port of Calais, where refugees have gathered. It also emerged that the UK office in Brussels is open for only three half-days a week to process applications''

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1153 on March 08, 2022, 01:18:59 am by SydneyRover »
''11:34
UK turns away nearly 300 Ukrainians at Calais
Almost 300 Ukrainians have been turned away while trying to cross to the UK from Calais, France.

The number is almost the same as the total number of Ukrainian visas issued so far by the Home Office.

Many refugees seek to cross the border from France to the UK through the port of Calais.

About 589 people have arrived there since Russia's invasion of Ukraine began, according to Calais' sub-prefect, Véronique Deprez-Boudier. She said 286 had been turned away by UK authorities''

Take your time, no rush.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1154 on March 08, 2022, 06:43:18 am by tyke1962 »
What the Russian people are fed through state media .

https://youtu.be/kELta9MLOzg

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #1155 on March 08, 2022, 07:36:23 am by normal rules »
Just looking at the Bank of England website. Inflation is currently running at 5.5%. That’s nearly three times the target of 2%. The next interest rate review is on 17 March. I cannot see anything other than another rate rise.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1156 on March 08, 2022, 07:56:44 am by River Don »
And yet NR what will an interest rate rise do when energy prices are being manipulated like this?

Just pile more pressure on. In fact a rise under these circumstances might even be inflationary.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1157 on March 08, 2022, 08:06:11 am by River Don »
The Ukrainians are saying the Russian advance has slowed significantly.

And in response the Russians are becoming more brutal.

A journalist in Russia has reported one Kremlin official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, described the invasion as a "clusterf***".

And it occurs to me were two weeks into it tomorrow. This was the point where the experts were saying this war starts becoming simply unaffordable for Russia
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 08:40:22 am by River Don »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #1158 on March 08, 2022, 08:50:23 am by normal rules »
And yet NR what will an interest rate rise do when energy prices are being manipulated like this?

Just pile more pressure on. In fact a rise under these circumstances might even be inflationary.

It’s an interesting point. The fuel price hike alone is like an interest rate rise in itself. Our family are giving second thoughts to any trips in the car we simply do not need to make. And I’ll be working from home even more so than usual.
We shall see what 17 March brings.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #1159 on March 08, 2022, 09:40:45 am by Metalmicky »
I'm starting to be hopeful about events on the ground. It appears the Russians are stretched, logistics are breaking down, morale is rock bottom.

Christ knows how those troops feel in that northern column. Camped out in the woods night after night in the freezing cold, waiting for supplies of food, wondering where the next ambush might be.

Cold, wet and hungry is not going to make them feel up for the fight... and don't forget they were also 'on exercise' for several weeks before the invasion, so they ain't going to be happy bunnies...

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #1160 on March 08, 2022, 09:44:18 am by Metalmicky »
It’s an interesting point. The fuel price hike alone is like an interest rate rise in itself. Our family are giving second thoughts to any trips in the car we simply do not need to make. And I’ll be working from home even more so than usual.
We shall see what 17 March brings.

Both my missus and me have to travel to work by car and the fuel prices do hit the pocket.  Although if we were WFH the missus would have the heating on all day anyway....... so a bit of a double edge sword really.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1161 on March 08, 2022, 12:23:34 pm by Filo »
f**k me! The Ukrainians have killed Major General Gerasimov. He's a very senior Russian military leader.

There are two Major General Gerasimov’s, it was the junior ranking of the two that has been killed, the senior ranking one looks like one of the two Generals with the glum faces when mad vlad announced he had put his nukes on standby

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1162 on March 08, 2022, 12:25:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

There are two Major General Gerasimov’s, it was the junior ranking of the two that has been killed, the senior ranking one looks like one of the two Generals with the glum faces when mad vlad announced he had put his nukes on standby
Yep. The one who was killed ran the Crimea invasion which was seen as a textbook operation. I think the other one is a senior Kremlin apparatchik.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1163 on March 08, 2022, 12:25:26 pm by SydneyRover »
It's about time putin showed up at 'the front'

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1164 on March 08, 2022, 12:30:01 pm by Filo »
It's about time putin showed up at 'the front'

Give over, he dare n’t sit within 25 yards of his senior generals

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1165 on March 08, 2022, 12:41:38 pm by SydneyRover »
What have we got to date, an invasion still extremely dangerous but off the rails, a rouble on par with rubble, a tanking russian share market, crazy inflation, limited cash reserves in foreign currency starting at 5bn+, and his oligarchs probably thinking about themselves right now.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1166 on March 08, 2022, 12:56:51 pm by wilts rover »

I wonder what China makes of all this?

Certainly seeing a united western front quickly emerge against Russia must give them pause for thought over Taiwan.

If. Big IF. If Putin falls, then there might be an incredible opportunity to bring democracy and stability to Russia.

But China might bankroll Putin and buy his hydrocarbons.

That's a great question. Didn't they abstain in the UN vote the other day?

I think they will do the opposite - I dont think they will ever be fully behind Putin, beacuse of the worldwide consequences. They want to be a world economic power and be the world's powerhouse. The last thing they want is a world economic recession, but neither wouldn't want an unstable Russia on their border. I reckon for them the best thing would be for this all to be over and things to get back to 'normal' asap.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #1167 on March 08, 2022, 12:58:48 pm by normal rules »
What have we got to date, an invasion still extremely dangerous but off the rails, a rouble on par with rubble, a tanking russian share market, crazy inflation, limited cash reserves in foreign currency starting at 5bn+, and his oligarchs probably thinking about themselves right now.

And Thousands of needless deaths .

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #1168 on March 08, 2022, 01:02:45 pm by normal rules »

The weather in the north east of Ukraine is about to take a turn for the worst too. Temps predicted to be -12 to -20 with wind chill in the coming days . Guns not needed then. Just a bloody great hosepipe. Nowt worse than cold and wet.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1169 on March 08, 2022, 01:06:47 pm by drfchound »

And Thousands of needless deaths .

And rapidly rising fuel and food costs across the World.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012