Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 05:19:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ukraine  (Read 230359 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Ukraine
« Reply #1350 on March 11, 2022, 09:43:58 pm by SydneyRover »
I have a confidence that we have people within the service that are attempting to or have already cultivated relationships with persons who are siloviki.
The highest level of espionage.
Agents within the Kremlin close to the inner circle.
It’s something the UK have always been very good at.
Mi6 will have an awareness of what’s going to happen before it actually does.
They may even be in a position to steer and influence.
A lot of talk of Russian influence in London, but trust me, this works both ways.
We may not have uk billionaires owning great swathes of Moscow, but we will have something far, far more valuable.
Influential, powerful Russians on our payroll.

Maybe they should have told us about the invasion being planned. putin has had the banks build up their foreign currency reserves since Crimea to a massive level, noone joined the dots?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1351 on March 11, 2022, 09:58:37 pm by drfchound »
I have a confidence that we have people within the service that are attempting to or have already cultivated relationships with persons who are siloviki.
The highest level of espionage.
Agents within the Kremlin close to the inner circle.
It’s something the UK have always been very good at.
Mi6 will have an awareness of what’s going to happen before it actually does.
They may even be in a position to steer and influence.
A lot of talk of Russian influence in London, but trust me, this works both ways.
We may not have uk billionaires owning great swathes of Moscow, but we will have something far, far more valuable.
Influential, powerful Russians on our payroll.

Maybe they should have told us about the invasion being planned. putin has had the banks build up their foreign currency reserves since Crimea to a massive level, noone joined the dots?

No one has any idea of what the UK intelligence people know or knew.
Do you know for sure that we didn’t know that an invasion was being planned.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1352 on March 11, 2022, 10:00:18 pm by SydneyRover »
do you know for sure what day it is hound?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1353 on March 11, 2022, 10:03:49 pm by drfchound »
do you know for sure what day it is hound?

Once again you prove you can’t engage in sensible conversation.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #1354 on March 11, 2022, 10:15:39 pm by normal rules »
Knowing something is going to happen is one thing.
Being in a position to do something about it is another.
Sometimes very high level intelligence simply cannot be acted on,  because to do so would put the source(s) at risk.
The British government spend huge amounts of money identifying, cultivating, acquiring and managing covert assets across the world . At all levels including government. They protect them to the enth degree. Even if it means sitting on very very significant intelligence.
Pick your fights. Timeliness.
It would not have gone un noticed that Russia was amassing foreign currency.
It was obviously deemed not necessary , justified or proportionate to react.
I am not privy of course to international levels of intelligence regarding Russia. But the process of international HUMINT gathering is exactly the same as Intel gathering that takes place covertly in every police force up and down the country at local level.
People in key positions who are motivated to share important information about those they work with and/or for. Recruited by those employed to harvest Intel on the given subject.
MI6 will have people in Russian government on the payroll.
Without doubt.
If they haven’t, then it would be pointless having an international security service.
We’ve been doing it for years.
They don’t stop wars. But they put the uk govt and others in a good position to be tactically and strategically aware of what’s coming.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 10:24:34 pm by normal rules »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1355 on March 11, 2022, 10:19:23 pm by SydneyRover »
Are you saying that our intelligence force knew russia was readying for an invasion but didn't bother to tell us? they sure told everyone once the build up began.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1356 on March 11, 2022, 10:23:27 pm by drfchound »
Sometimes very high level intelligence simply cannot be acted on,  because to do so would put the source(s) at risk.
The British government spend huge amounts of money identifying, cultivating, acquiring and managing covert assets across the world . At all levels including government. They protect them to the enth degree. Even if it means sitting on very very significant intelligence.
Unless you have been part of the Intel world, you perhaps would not understand this.

This is exactly the point I was making NR.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1357 on March 11, 2022, 10:25:53 pm by SydneyRover »
Unless you have been part of the Intel world, you perhaps would not understand this.

And yet you just said this ................

''No one has any idea of what the UK intelligence people know or knew.
Do you know for sure that we didn’t know that an invasion was being planned''

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #1358 on March 11, 2022, 10:27:18 pm by normal rules »
The whole intelligence gathering and espionage development scene around this conflict will be deliberate and calculated.
MI6 and CIA will be working 24/7.
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1359 on March 11, 2022, 10:28:55 pm by drfchound »

And yet you just said this ................

Yes it is very straight forward.

No one knew what the British Intelligence people knew.

I don’t think that the general public would have been privy to that information, do you think they would have been.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1360 on March 11, 2022, 10:29:30 pm by SydneyRover »
The whole intelligence gathering and espionage development scene around this conflict will be deliberate and calculated.

You'd better take it up with hound, he says this

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1361 on March 11, 2022, 10:31:05 pm by SydneyRover »
hmmm ............... known knowns and unknown knowns

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1362 on March 11, 2022, 10:31:22 pm by drfchound »

You are embarrassing yourself now SR.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #1363 on March 11, 2022, 10:32:30 pm by normal rules »
Richard Moore, head of MI6 stated last month that they knew that Russia had been planning this for months. They also knew of a Russian plot to have Zelensky assassinated.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1364 on March 11, 2022, 10:33:49 pm by SydneyRover »

You are embarrassing yourself now SR.

Modify message

''This is exactly the point I was making NR''

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1365 on March 11, 2022, 10:34:59 pm by drfchound »
Richard Moore, head of MI6 stated last month that they knew that Russia had been planning this for months. They also knew of a Russian plot to have Zelensky assassinated.

Sydney seems to think that that information should have gone out on News at Ten.  :lol:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1366 on March 11, 2022, 10:38:19 pm by drfchound »
Are you saying that our intelligence force knew russia was readying for an invasion but didn't bother to tell us? they sure told everyone once the build up began.

Syd. You said the above. Do you think that the intelligence people should have made this common knowledge.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1367 on March 11, 2022, 10:40:03 pm by SydneyRover »

Syd. You said the above. Do you think that the intelligence people should have made this common knowledge.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1368 on March 11, 2022, 10:44:22 pm by drfchound »
The question was directed to you, so do you or did you know?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1369 on March 11, 2022, 10:45:30 pm by SydneyRover »
The question was directed to you, so do you or did you know?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1370 on March 11, 2022, 10:49:28 pm by SydneyRover »
hound

'See ya.  Waste of time.''

hooray

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1371 on March 11, 2022, 11:11:41 pm by SydneyRover »
''US and allies to deny 'most favoured nation' status to Russia, Biden says
President Joe Biden announced that the US, along with the G7 and European Union, will take steps to revoke the “most favoured nation” status designation to Russia, known as permanent normal trade relations in the US.

Biden said the move would hold the Russian president Vladimir Putin, “even more accountable for his aggression against Ukraine.”

the Guardian

How will Russia survive and for how long? where will they get their food and basic necessities from? Will china be able to sustain them to allow for a 'completion' of the invasion? (they will never fully control the Ukraine)

Russian imports of foodstuffs and agricultural raw materials amounted to nearly 34 billion U.S. dollars in 2021. Over the observed period, the highest figure was recorded at over 43 billion U.S. dollars in 2013. Between 2014 and 2015, the imports dropped by more than 13 billion U.S. dollars.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1006520/russia-foodstuffs-and-agricultural-imports/

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1372 on March 12, 2022, 12:15:15 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Putin is now arresting (not sacking, arresting) leaders of the FSB for failed intel that led him to war.

As some smart folk have said, he went into this war completely misunderstanding what would happen. Now he's venting his wrath on his secret services.

I wonder what they are planning in return?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #1373 on March 12, 2022, 02:21:53 am by BobG »
It might be worth reading my post about the Lusitania Syd. Post 33 in the DFP thread.

The whole point of secret services is just that. They are secret. In the case of the Lusitania for a helluva lot of people that secret still stands today - more than 100 years later. Of course they're not going to publicise more than is strategically useful. And in any event,  their role is principally to advise their polítical masters. What they  then do with the Intel is the question we should ALL be asking... I've made it plain times many that our polítical leaders were appraised of the nature of Putin 10 years ago and more.

It is polítics that has led us to where we are today. Not secret services.

BobG
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 02:51:35 am by BobG »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1374 on March 12, 2022, 02:48:10 am by SydneyRover »
It might be worth reading my post about the Lusitania Syd. About 1340 from memory.

The whole point of secret services is just that. They are secret. In the case of the Lusitania for a helluva lot of people that secret still stands today - more than 100 years later. Of course they're not going to publicise mire than is strategically useful. And in any evento, their role is principally yo sdvifse their poitical masters. What they do with the Intel is the question we should ALL be asking... Ive Made it plain times many that our polítical leaders were appraised of the nature of Putin 10 years ago and more.
.It is política that has les us tov where we are today. Not secret services.

BobG

I did read your comment and am fully across the role of the service. If you look at the comments above it looks as though some appear to want to claim insider knowledge rather than what is gleaned from the papers. My point is if the service were fully across all this information, why wasn't it passed onto the government? more likely they did know and did pass it on and are exposed yet again as lazy, greedy and incompetent and have to be dragged kicking and screaming into properly helping refugees and sanctioning their sponsors. As you say or imply all this should have been ready to go not death by a thousand cuts.

As with my comment before same thread asking why these oligarchs are now being sanctioned, because nothing has changed in the past couple of weeks, they have been aiding and abetting a dictator and murderer. 

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #1375 on March 12, 2022, 02:58:04 am by BobG »
Sorry Syd. I haven't a clue what you are on about. But please just bear in mind thst the principal function of all 3 of Britain,'s secret services is to inform and advise our politicians.  With occasional exceptions they are extremely good at it.

You have no grounds whatever to rubbish what they have done wrt Putin. In fact, I'll tell you. You are plain wrong. It is polítics, not spies, that has brought us to where we are today

BobG
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 03:04:15 am by BobG »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1376 on March 12, 2022, 03:10:37 am by SydneyRover »
It might be worth reading my post about the Lusitania Syd. About 1340 from memory.

The whole point of secret services is just that. They are secret. In the case of the Lusitania for a helluva lot of people that secret still stands today - more than 100 years later. Of course they're not going to publicise mire than is strategically useful. And in any evento, their role is principally yo sdvifse their poitical masters. What they do with the Intel is the question we should ALL be asking... Ive Made it plain times many that our polítical leaders were appraised of the nature of Putin 10 years ago and more.
.It is política that has les us tov where we are today. Not secret services.

BobG

I did read your comment and am fully across the role of the service. If you look at the comments above it looks as though some appear to want to claim insider knowledge rather than what is gleaned from the papers. My point is if the service were fully across all this information, why wasn't it passed onto the government? more likely they did know and did pass it on and are exposed yet again as lazy, greedy and incompetent GOVERNMENT and have to be dragged kicking and screaming into properly helping refugees and sanctioning their sponsors. As you say or imply all this should have been ready to go not death by a thousand cuts.

As with my comment before same thread asking why these oligarchs are now being sanctioned, because nothing has changed in the past couple of weeks, they have been aiding and abetting a dictator and murderer.

I don't want a 'forever' debate about this BG but if you could show where I rubbished them?

ah I had edited it and missed the word government out, apologies for any confusion.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 03:12:41 am by SydneyRover »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #1377 on March 12, 2022, 03:13:29 am by BobG »
Most of this page Syd

BobG

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1378 on March 12, 2022, 03:22:16 am by SydneyRover »
A lot of blame for what the west is now facing rests squarely at the feet of this government that have refused to accept Russian interference and refuse to make inquiries about it, all the while accepting money for political gain and allowing wholesale laundering of proceeds through the British financial system which if is examined I would would think would dwarf what has been spent on property in London. (the latter is speculation)

Why wouldn't putin feel safe in scaling things up the mayor of london playing tennis for money with his henchmen?

A another point, why the government is confused, being urged on to do more about 'boat people' but now not doing enough, according to the UN convention on refugees which britain signed up to a refugee is a refugee.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1379 on March 12, 2022, 04:53:03 am by SydneyRover »
Most of this page Syd

BobG

Put simply, NR who knows all about the security services tells us we have men in putin's uppermost circles, therefore unless the security services exist for their own amusement must have passed all this forward to our government, therefore our government would know about all things russia from the invasion of Ukraine to dirty money and have sat on their hands and watched and waited for it to happen all the while doing nothing.

It's either one or the other.

''Party funding linked to Russia – how much have Tories benefited?''

''The industrialist Alexander Temerko, also a UK national, has donated £357,000 since Johnson took office. He is a minority shareholder and co-owner of a company called Aquind. Its majority investor is the Russian-born oil tycoon Viktor Fedotov.

Another big Tory donor in the Johnson era is the businessman Mohamed Amersi, who has given £258,000 over the period.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/23/oligarchs-funding-tories

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 04:58:29 am by SydneyRover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012