Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 04:48:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ukraine  (Read 230518 times)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: Ukraine
« Reply #1680 on March 29, 2022, 09:23:02 pm by River Don »
I think they attacked a Russian airfield a few miles over the border a few days after the outbreak, Wilts.

Edit. Here.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/ukraine-reportedly-strikes-russian-airbase
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 09:30:46 pm by River Don »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #1681 on March 30, 2022, 03:30:44 am by BobG »
Oh splendid... That is brilliant, vengeful, escalatory, dangerous. But then, it's war...

BobG

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1682 on March 30, 2022, 04:17:46 am by SydneyRover »
Not sure if the Ukraine attacking military targets in Russia can be deemed an escalation but an expansion of the war theatre to spread enemy forces for sure.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1683 on March 30, 2022, 09:06:02 am by River Don »
I wouldn't say targeting military installations over the border is vengeful.

That ammunition is being stored there to use against people in Ukraine. It's no less a target than the supply ship they took out the other day

That airbase is a launchpad for attacks in Ukraine.

If they were bombing civilians in a neighbouring town it would be different

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1684 on March 30, 2022, 12:57:46 pm by River Don »
Just read a stunning article in the paper that claims Ukraine has more tanks now than when war began!

Apparently scavenging and fixing up lost Russian tanks and vehicles is a very successful tactic and it's all Soviet equipment they know how to use.

The articles goes so far as to claim Russia has become Ukraine biggest weapons supplier.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #1685 on March 30, 2022, 01:35:40 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I wouldn't say targeting military installations over the border is vengeful.

That ammunition is being stored there to use against people in Ukraine. It's no less a target than the supply ship they took out the other day

That airbase is a launchpad for attacks in Ukraine.

If they were bombing civilians in a neighbouring town it would be different

Agree fully with this as a person in the western world and is aware of what is going on.

Unfortunately it has the side-effect of providing Putin with an opportunity to falsely say to his people how justified he was to try and ‘liberate’ Ukrainians from the ‘extremists’

But as I said above that is a side effect. If the attacks have given Ukraine a better chance of resisting Russia’s aggression then that is IMHO more important to them.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1686 on March 30, 2022, 04:08:06 pm by River Don »
Just read a stunning article in the paper that claims Ukraine has more tanks now than when war began!

Apparently scavenging and fixing up lost Russian tanks and vehicles is a very successful tactic and it's all Soviet equipment they know how to use.

The articles goes so far as to claim Russia has become Ukraine biggest weapons supplier.

It's not only hardware.

Apparently there is a thing called The Russian Freedom Legion. POWs realising they were used as cannon fodder, taking Ukraine citizenship and going back into battle for the other side.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 04:20:40 pm by River Don »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1687 on March 30, 2022, 05:13:56 pm by wilts rover »

Yes I have seen that on t'interweb - brilliant!

Thanks for the earlier answer btw.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1688 on March 31, 2022, 01:18:16 pm by drfchound »
I see that Putin is claiming that he wasn’t aware of how badly his forces were doing in the quest to take Ukraine.
Apparently his advisors were scared to tell him the truth.
The sceptic in me suggests that he has started the process of telling the World that he wasn’t aware of the bombing of civilian areas too.
Using his get out of jail card perhaps.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1689 on March 31, 2022, 01:52:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60936117

I used to work for an authoritarian boss who had employees terrified to contradict him. It was horrific. There were four mental breakdowns, two complete physical breakdowns and an attempted suicide in the 4 years I was there. When we had planning meetings with him, we would pitch the opposite idea of what we wanted so that he would condescendingly criticise us and chuck it out, giving us the result we really wanted.

I finally screwed up the courage to call him a liar to his face when he tried to stiff me for a job that had gone badly wrong because of changes he'd made to my plans. Facing him down was the emotionally hardest thing I've ever done. I was shaking and nearly retching when I left his office.

But I could go home, apply for a new job and hand in my notice. What the f**k do the head of the FSB or the armed forces do when faced with a boss like Putin?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 03:13:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #1690 on March 31, 2022, 04:55:09 pm by danumdon »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60936117

I used to work for an authoritarian boss who had employees terrified to contradict him. It was horrific. There were four mental breakdowns, two complete physical breakdowns and an attempted suicide in the 4 years I was there. When we had planning meetings with him, we would pitch the opposite idea of what we wanted so that he would condescendingly criticise us and chuck it out, giving us the result we really wanted.

I finally screwed up the courage to call him a liar to his face when he tried to stiff me for a job that had gone badly wrong because of changes he'd made to my plans. Facing him down was the emotionally hardest thing I've ever done. I was shaking and nearly retching when I left his office.

But I could go home, apply for a new job and hand in my notice. What the f**k do the head of the FSB or the armed forces do when faced with a boss like Putin?

Well i'm just happy he didn't break you and you managed to become the nice, pleasant , amiable and friendly chap we all like to have a chat with. :)

Seriously now, that does sound horrific and no one should have to deal with people like that in the workplace. Thankfully much stronger legislation is now in place to remove these types and allow people to have their ideas and work respected and treated fairly, hope the affects are over and you have moved on.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1691 on March 31, 2022, 05:00:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My ex-boss died before he got the public kicking he deserved over his responsibility for the Hillsborough disaster. My old line manager, a fine, decent, principled man who was broken by that bas**rd ended up in tears in the witness box at the Hillsborough Inquest, as he related what it was like working in that office.

Anyone with power who refuses to listen to criticism is a very, very dangerous person.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #1692 on March 31, 2022, 07:11:18 pm by BobG »
Exactly! Every team, everywhere, really should have an awkward sod, an ornery cuss, to challenge the onset of groupthink, of 'fearthink'  Although they've had some pretty serious man management failures, when it comes to sainthoods the Catholic Church is still the best at this. They call it the 'Devils Advocate'.

BobG

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #1693 on April 01, 2022, 04:19:58 am by BobG »
Another link, apposite word, for those interested in the complicity of sections of the UK political establishment with the actions of Russia over the last decade

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1509414334828589059?s=20&t=JqVrY4DktjeVbfoYHn7ktQ

BobG

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1694 on April 01, 2022, 05:41:55 am by SydneyRover »
Another link, apposite word, for those interested in the complicity of sections of the UK political establishment with the actions of Russia over the last decade

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1509414334828589059?s=20&t=JqVrY4DktjeVbfoYHn7ktQ

BobG

Looks like we have the best run and funded donkey sanctuary in Europe.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1695 on April 01, 2022, 09:08:52 am by River Don »
Ukraine has managed to hit another target in Russia early this morning.

A couple of helicopters have managed to attack an oil depot at Belgorod, 25 miles over the border. Again another strategic target that can be seen as a defensive action.

They seem determined to carry the fight to the Russians. The danger here is one of these missions could go wrong, accidentally hitting a civilian site.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1696 on April 01, 2022, 09:10:54 am by Filo »
Ukraine has managed to hit another target in Russia early this morning.

A couple of helicopters have managed to attack an oil depot at Belgorod, 25 miles over the border. Again another strategic target that can be seen as a defensive action.

They seem determined to carry the fight to the Russians. The danger here is one of these missions could go wrong, accidentally hitting a civilian site.

In my opinion, after Russia attacking Ukraine, any target in Russia is fair game for the Ukrainians

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1697 on April 01, 2022, 09:24:58 am by River Don »
I agree Filo but as Dutch points out, such attacks might be used for propaganda purposes. It could be used to justify the war to the Russian population, evidence Ukraine genuinely is a threat.

On the other hand it does demonstrate to the Russians it's more than just a special military operation.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 09:41:16 am by River Don »

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #1698 on April 01, 2022, 10:03:02 am by Dutch Uncle »
Thanks RD. I may have missed it but so far Ukraine has not claimed responsibility yet. Helicopters could potentially fly very low 40km into presumably heavily defended Russian airspace, but it is a high risk mission. Then again we have seen that the Russian soldiers on the ground have not performed very well.

The worry raised is that it might be a false flag Russian incident, and that would suggest the Russians might be preparing to escalate e.g. chemical or biological or tactical nuclear (probably artillery) weapons. I really hope not.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1699 on April 01, 2022, 12:38:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I missed this last week. Christ, this is powerful.
https://twitter.com/jackeparrock/status/1507386974851805194?cxt=HHwWlMC98fKdqOspAAAA

It's really not before time that someone finally called out Orban's Hugary. Orban has been a fascist cuckoo in the European nest for a decade. Putin's man right where he needed one. It's taken Zelensky to stare him in the eyes and tell him what he is.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #1700 on April 01, 2022, 04:17:11 pm by BobG »
What a man....

Russia is creating the next leader of  absolute worldwide stature. I hope they enjoy what they have done.

BobG

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1701 on April 03, 2022, 10:58:12 am by BillyStubbsTears »
General Election in Hungary today.

This is Zelensky's contribution.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ukrinform.net/amp/rubric-polytics/3447117-zelensky-to-orban-we-saw-no-effort-to-stop-war.html

Let's see if the Hungarian people really DO want to be ruled by a Putin-supporting fascist when the chips are down.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1702 on April 03, 2022, 11:17:15 am by SydneyRover »
He's very impressive with impeccable timing and knows exactly which buttons to press.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1703 on April 03, 2022, 12:20:18 pm by ravenrover »
Reports of horrendous finds in relieved towns war crimes at their worst

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1704 on April 03, 2022, 01:22:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

None of which should be surprising. Either as deliberate policy from a nationalist thug/bully, or as the deranged panicked reactions of terrified barely adult conscripts, these sort of horrors were inevitable.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1705 on April 03, 2022, 01:28:32 pm by Filo »

None of which should be surprising. Either as deliberate policy from a nationalist thug/bully, or as the deranged panicked reactions of terrified barely adult conscripts, these sort of horrors were inevitable.

Why Mad Vlad should never again be accepted on the World Stage, sanctions must be kept until he’s overthrown and executed for War Crimes

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1706 on April 03, 2022, 04:34:34 pm by wilts rover »
Russia is confirmed to have lost over 400 tanks since the beginning of the invasion. As they began with 1200 thats over a 1/3rd of their armour gone - amazing.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1510632351050899456

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #1707 on April 03, 2022, 10:06:50 pm by BobG »
Does anyone know if that loss of 400 tanks from 1,200 is the ENTIRE Russian stock of battleworthy tanks or was that 1,200 just what they sent to Ukraine? I confess I thought they'd have a lot more than 1,200.

BobG

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #1708 on April 03, 2022, 10:13:33 pm by BobG »
General Election in Hungary today.

This is Zelensky's contribution.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ukrinform.net/amp/rubric-polytics/3447117-zelensky-to-orban-we-saw-no-effort-to-stop-war.html

Let's see if the Hungarian people really DO want to be ruled by a Putin-supporting fascist when the chips are down.

Ha ha ha!! That'll knock his Christmas card from Orban on the bonce for sure. Two men. Both exceptional. From opposite ends of the entire human spectrum. I can only think of Nicolas Maduro as equalling, or excelling tbh, the sheer self interested nastiness of Orban.

BobG

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #1709 on April 03, 2022, 10:41:33 pm by normal rules »
Orban wins again. Promising cheap fuel from Russia.
Still refusing to supply weapons.
Interesting to see how the EU, and NATO view this continuing.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012