Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:26:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ukraine  (Read 230538 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Ukraine
« Reply #1860 on April 17, 2022, 09:34:13 am by SydneyRover »
Why let facts get in the way of an opportunity to have a moan.

you would know hound you moan about other members day in and out aye

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1861 on April 17, 2022, 09:36:23 am by drfchound »

Haha.
I just read your moan at NR on the Rwanda thread in which your tell him how wrong he is.
Hypocrite.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 09:38:45 am by drfchound »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1862 on April 17, 2022, 09:39:58 am by SydneyRover »
Jan 18/2022

''Britain has begun supplying Ukraine with new light anti-tank weapons in response to “the increasingly threatening behaviour from Russia”, the defence secretary, Ben Wallace, has announced.

The ratcheting up of military support comes as the Kremlin continues to increase its troop deployment by moving forces into Belarus, which borders Ukraine to the north, and is considered the most likely route for any invasion.

“We have taken the decision to supply Ukraine with light anti-armour defensive weapons systems,” Wallace told the Commons on Monday, adding that “a small number” of British troops would provide training to help Kyiv’s forces in using them.

Partygate blew up Nov 2021

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1863 on April 17, 2022, 09:43:54 am by SydneyRover »

Haha.
I just read your moan at NR on the Rwanda thread in which your tell him how wrong he is.
Hypocrite.

Showing someone that they are factually wrong is a bit different from your whining, wouldn't you agree hound?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1864 on April 17, 2022, 09:51:20 am by River Don »
Jan 18/2022

''Britain has begun supplying Ukraine with new light anti-tank weapons in response to “the increasingly threatening behaviour from Russia”, the defence secretary, Ben Wallace, has announced.

The ratcheting up of military support comes as the Kremlin continues to increase its troop deployment by moving forces into Belarus, which borders Ukraine to the north, and is considered the most likely route for any invasion.

“We have taken the decision to supply Ukraine with light anti-armour defensive weapons systems,” Wallace told the Commons on Monday, adding that “a small number” of British troops would provide training to help Kyiv’s forces in using them.

Partygate blew up Nov 2021

Since Ukrainian independence in 1991, security cooperation with the UK and other Western allies has been a key feature of bilateral and multilateral relations. With aspirations to join both the EU and NATO, initial military assistance to Ukraine was largely focused on defence reform, defence planning and capacity building.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1865 on April 17, 2022, 09:54:43 am by SydneyRover »
When did johnson become interested is the key question RD, johnson blamed the EU for russia annexing the Crimea ffs.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1866 on April 17, 2022, 10:00:06 am by drfchound »

Haha.
Hypocrite.

Showing someone that they are factually wrong is a bit different from your whining, wouldn't you agree hound?

There are one or two posters that I disagree with on a regular basis but generally I find that I get on with most.
I reckon that will be true of the majority on here.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1867 on April 17, 2022, 10:01:14 am by SydneyRover »

:)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1868 on April 17, 2022, 10:12:31 am by River Don »
When did johnson become interested is the key question RD, johnson blamed the EU for russia annexing the Crimea ffs.

Russia began denying it was going to invade Ukraine around Nov  21. Concerns had been growing for sometime as the military build up on the border continued.

It took the UK until Jan to be sufficiently concerned that an invasion was imminent to start supplying defensive weaponry.

I don't see any political motives, other than a response to the Russian threat.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1869 on April 17, 2022, 10:25:30 am by SydneyRover »
I'm surprised we are not seeing johnson strutting the stage with his mouth around a cigar, the only person johnson is concerned about is himself.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1870 on April 17, 2022, 10:56:48 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Sydney on that the government played it right and were fully supported by the other parties, there's no real dispute even politically on that.

They've done plenty of other things badly you don't need to criticise the bits they've done right.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1871 on April 17, 2022, 11:04:25 am by SydneyRover »

Sydney on that the government played it right and were fully supported by the other parties, there's no real dispute even politically on that.

They've done plenty of other things badly you don't need to criticise the bits they've done right.

Not criticising the government pud .... johnson, this has fallen into his lap, for a man that has trashed the law, lied to parliament and everyone in the country, put the GFA agreement on the line and all for what? he doesn't believe in anything but himself. As you know with brexit he was in two minds about that too.

I'd be more convinced about his motives if there were more Ukraine people ensconced in willing hosts homes and he's moved faster and wider with the sanctions.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 11:08:11 am by SydneyRover »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1872 on April 17, 2022, 11:18:19 am by River Don »
I'm surprised we are not seeing johnson strutting the stage with his mouth around a cigar, the only person johnson is concerned about is himself.

I'm sure Johnson is quite happy to try and play the wartime leader role. Though, he hasn't made any heavy weight historic speeches.

But I do think it's a coincidence, that it happened when it did

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1873 on April 17, 2022, 11:25:18 am by SydneyRover »
RD, I guess my main gripe about johnson was that he gave every impression to putin that he was on a winner, he welcomed the oligarchs and their money into the capital and his party, did not investigate a very strong suspicion of interference in UK politics and votes and for all intents and purposes why would putin have thought anything different.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1874 on April 17, 2022, 11:41:10 am by River Don »
Russian money has been flowing into the capital for a longtime. At least since the days of Tony Blair.

And I do think that was partly because the hope was Russia would begin to change as it opened up to the west.

That was the kind of talk Putin first came out with. Tony Blair is still convinced today that Putin was a reformer back then.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1875 on April 17, 2022, 11:48:11 am by SydneyRover »
Then Crimea should have changed all that, the adverse findings from the security committee should have changed all that, No?

''UK report on Russian interference: key points explained''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/21/just-what-does-the-uk-russia-report-say-key-points-explainedAnd much of this is back on successive tory governments, and what was johnson's answer to Crimea, blame the EU??????

''Johnson peerage for Lebedev crowns mutually beneficial friendship
Party-loving media mogul and prime minister maintain close social and political ties''

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jul/31/johnson-peerage-for-lebedev-crowns-mutually-beneficial-friendship

all the dots are there in plain sight
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 11:52:33 am by SydneyRover »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1876 on April 17, 2022, 11:49:58 am by River Don »
There we can agree. The west handled Crimea badly and in doing so, gave Putin the green light for what is happening today.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1877 on April 17, 2022, 11:53:46 am by SydneyRover »
There we can agree. The west handled Crimea badly and in doing so, gave Putin the green light for what is happening today.

True RD but johnson played a particularly strong hand.

I'll bet the champagne corks were flying around the Kremlin when he got brexit done
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 11:56:47 am by SydneyRover »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1878 on April 17, 2022, 12:00:47 pm by wilts rover »
Johnson is a chancer with no long-term strategy for anything other than his self-promotion - and no day-to day stragegy for anything other than his self-preservation.

If this means he is sending far more aid and armaments to Ukraine than most of Europe - good.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1879 on April 17, 2022, 12:18:59 pm by drfchound »
Johnson is a chancer with no long-term strategy for anything other than his self-promotion - and no day-to day stragegy for anything other than his self-preservation.

If this means he is sending far more aid and armaments to Ukraine than most of Europe - good.

Wilts.
Agreed and agreed.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #1880 on April 18, 2022, 07:27:41 am by normal rules »
Spotted this locally yesterday.A52 just North of Butterwick.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1881 on April 18, 2022, 07:30:34 am by River Don »
Spotted this locally yesterday.A52 just North of Butterwick.

It looks like they got shot up pretty bad.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1882 on April 18, 2022, 09:50:52 am by wilts rover »
Interesting twitter thread here.

Essentially, there are thought to be up to 25 Russian Battle Groups in Izyum, all dependant on one road to supply them. The Ukrainian's have been shelling the road and are now counteracting west and south from Kharkiv to cut this road connection and isolate the BTG's:

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1515931478147883016

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1883 on April 18, 2022, 10:26:28 am by River Don »
The Russians invaded at the wrong time of year.

The ground in spring and autumn is a notorious bog. The Russians have been forced to stay on the roads, often in long columns, where there vehicles have been very open to ambush.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1884 on April 19, 2022, 10:58:52 am by BillyStubbsTears »
So Putin's War takes on a new face with the renewed Donbas offensive.

Other than punishing the Ukrainians (and hey, maybe that IS the only objective) I don't see what 75 BTGs manned with a lot of demoralised young conscripts is going to achieve on a 300 mile front. Feels like another Russian disaster in the making, albeit with a lot of Ukranian deaths too.

Is Putin now just lashing out without a strategy?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #1885 on April 19, 2022, 11:33:02 am by Dutch Uncle »
Without answering your question BST, it seems to me that Putin wants Mariupol and significant progress in Donbas by 9 May - short term gain for political purposes. This is never a good military strategy - as has been shown to the North-West of Kiev holding territory is more difficult than taking it.

What worries me is that he may decide the best way of 'clearing out' Mariupol, which is currently keeping about 10K Russian personnel committed and unavailable to support Donbas operations, is to go chemical in an industrial area with the deniability of saying the result is from toxic chemicals already there, not chemical weapons. Then what does the West do? 

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1886 on April 19, 2022, 11:43:30 am by BillyStubbsTears »
That's been giving me nightmares to Dutch. He's simply not going to get a clear and clean conventional victory in the Donbas. I wonder if he even realises that. If he doesn't, God alone knows how he responds when the reality dawns.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1887 on April 19, 2022, 12:15:30 pm by SydneyRover »
Weather can change quite quickly of course but the sea looks quite calm in the vid and pics of the Moskva, not the rough sea reported.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1889 on April 21, 2022, 09:46:30 am by SydneyRover »
What do you reckon MM?

Is the Ukraine right for wanting to join the EU?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012